Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That is way fucken overkill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

iStat Menus IMO, such a good product

https://bjango.com/help/istatmenus6/time/

It really is. Plus the weather app they stealthed in there is worth the 15 min update subscription.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just installed Mojave.

Loving Dark Mode and Safari seems to be much improved.

Alfred's lost all of my website bookmarks though. I'm hoping telling my computer to index itself again will bring them back.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

I've tried Googling this but the terms are all quite broad so I can't find a clear answer - does Mojave only allow use of the built-in Screen Sharing feature if both machines are on the same network? I use it very occasionally from my work laptop to access my iMac at home and, since updating both machines, I can't seem to 'see' my iMac from my MacBook unless I'm actually sitting in the same room.

I know Back to My Mac is gone but as the Screen Sharing app is still available I'm not sure if I just need to set something up differently to get it working when I'm away from home.

I’d check your Sharing settings. I know they wanted to lock down remote access, but I thought it was only programmatic that they were killing it (kickstart binary).

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

the telegram mac app seems to be loving up and not connecting/not letting me send messages to certain groups. anyone know how i can completely nuke its data from my system and start afresh? it's got to be keeping something somewhere since i don't have to log in again when i delete and redownload the app

Tenterhooks posted:

I've tried Googling this but the terms are all quite broad so I can't find a clear answer - does Mojave only allow use of the built-in Screen Sharing feature if both machines are on the same network? I use it very occasionally from my work laptop to access my iMac at home and, since updating both machines, I can't seem to 'see' my iMac from my MacBook unless I'm actually sitting in the same room.

I know Back to My Mac is gone but as the Screen Sharing app is still available I'm not sure if I just need to set something up differently to get it working when I'm away from home.

i never really used back to my mac but what i assume is happening is that the screen sharing service is now only exposed to your home network. easiest and probably best-practice solution is to download a vpn server and run that at home so you can remote in when the time comes

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 13, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Dark Mode For Safari got a small update that eliminates white flashes when going between web pages. Works great in High Sierra..

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

the telegram mac app seems to be loving up and not connecting/not letting me send messages to certain groups. anyone know how i can completely nuke its data from my system and start afresh? it's got to be keeping something somewhere since i don't have to log in again when i delete and redownload the app

fwiw i solved this by just using the app from the telegram.org website rather than the app store version which seems to be completely hosed

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Generic Monk posted:

fwiw i solved this by just using the app from the telegram.org website rather than the app store version which seems to be completely hosed

Are you sure it wasn't just because Telegram went down yesterday?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

Just installed Mojave.

Loving Dark Mode and Safari seems to be much improved.

Alfred's lost all of my website bookmarks though. I'm hoping telling my computer to index itself again will bring them back.

https://twitter.com/alfredapp/status/1044536183269871618

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

101 posted:

Are you sure it wasn't just because Telegram went down yesterday?

nah that was the catalyst but the apps themselves have both been hosed up for me for ages

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
I just switched back to Mac after a few years away, but I don't actually understand what I'm doing on the file system. I keep my photos on a NAS, and have used Lightroom on my Windows desktop to access them and import them. I would like to move that over to photos on my MBP. I thought I had that figured out by unchecking this box:

And then I added the photos to the library. I ran a test on a few, and it seemed like it worked. It made a thumbnail, but when I clicked on the picture while disconnected from the network, I got a grey picture. So far so good. But then I tried to add my other pictures to Photos. I left it running, and it used the wifi like crazy, only in the morning to leave me with a notification that there was insufficient storage on my laptop.

Short question: How do I add networked photos to a laptop in Photos, when I won't always be on the network?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

I got this sorted - thanks though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a common thing that might stop the ">"s on the left to open folders in a root view in Finder working? Typically it's happened to a drive where I do a lot of file sorting, so I tend to have lots of subfolders open but they've disappeared and I can't work out why. If I go into any of the folders, they appear as visible.

Maybe unmount/mount will do, but the drive is active a lot so that/rebooting will fix it if nothing else does hopefully.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

It really is. Plus the weather app they stealthed in there is worth the 15 min update subscription.
I just got this and holy poo poo this is a lot of unnecessary information presented in the most cluttered way imaginable, even after cutting it down to the bare essentials. It reminds me of Stardock's old Windows products like DesktopX.

For now I'll use it just for the world clock in the menu bar but I look forward to uninstalling this as soon as I'm not working across timezones anymore

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I updated my 2016 MBP w/ TB to Mojave a few weeks back. All of a sudden I get a popping sound in my speakers a dozen times a day. Just one, quick, moderately loud popping sound (almost like you would get from plugging or unplugging a live microphone). I noticed it after about 5 minutes of my first boot of Mojave so it has to be some kind of software thing, right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I just got this and holy poo poo this is a lot of unnecessary information presented in the most cluttered way imaginable, even after cutting it down to the bare essentials. It reminds me of Stardock's old Windows products like DesktopX.

For now I'll use it just for the world clock in the menu bar but I look forward to uninstalling this as soon as I'm not working across timezones anymore

Are you just strewing it across the menu bar? Or did you unify the sensors using the "combined" switch so they display like this:

I do have weather broken out, but all the others are set to high level representation of the other stat menus. You can then hover over each section to get more detailed information and quick access to Apple utilities.

I mean, if it's not for you, it's not for you. I agree having live sensors in the menu-bar is the ugliest poo poo I've ever seen. But with being able to collapse it all down into a single menu-bar icon out of the way, I've found it so useful when I need to troubleshoot.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

As I've been getting back into my old mid 2012 MacBook I have been enjoying it and finding it capable of general tasks as well as photo editing - all good except the speakers are weak. So I spent some time looking for the system wide eq and there is none. Kind of baffling that they don't include one but after some research I found apps that cost money that can do it (I am against paying to add basic functionality) but also this guy:

https://bitgapp.com/eqmac/

EQmac2 might be well known to mac people but in case it wasn't i figured I'd share here. It does what you would expect and is system wide. Good poo poo.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I got a new macbook pro for work, it's great and fancy and so far I love it.

The second day I was using it, I noticed something crawling on my screen and tried to brush the bug off. It didn't move.

drat thing is IN the screen and died right about where my chrome tabs are lined up at the top of the screen. Apple and their loving bugs...

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

qutius posted:

drat thing is IN the screen and died right about where my chrome tabs are lined up at the top of the screen. Apple and their loving bugs...
Should've been using Safari.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Housh posted:

Should've been using Safari.

I'm hoping that's not what Apple says when I stop by the store tomorrow.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I have iCloud backup for my phone including photos. I then have the PC iCloud desktop application syncing down photos to my PC which are then backed up with all my other photos to another backup solution.

I upgraded iCloud to the family sharing plan and added my wife’s phone (different Apple account obviously). Her photos are being saved to iCloud but they are not being synced down to my PC through the PC iCloud desktop application. I assume this is because on the PC iCloud desktop application I can only log in using my own Apple account.

Does anyone have any suggestions on supplementing the iCloud backup with another backup option in this scenario. Seems like I shouldn’t really bother with the sync down to PC and just periodically copy over photos from our phones to my PC for permanent backup while having iCloud backup for phone disaster scenarios.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is it possible to rename a device in target disk mode? How about installing an enrollment profile?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So is Mojave good to go? No show-stopping bugs, right?

I'm on that 2016 15" MBP if that matters.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rhaegar posted:

I have iCloud backup for my phone including photos. I then have the PC iCloud desktop application syncing down photos to my PC which are then backed up with all my other photos to another backup solution.

I upgraded iCloud to the family sharing plan and added my wife’s phone (different Apple account obviously). Her photos are being saved to iCloud but they are not being synced down to my PC through the PC iCloud desktop application. I assume this is because on the PC iCloud desktop application I can only log in using my own Apple account.

Does anyone have any suggestions on supplementing the iCloud backup with another backup option in this scenario. Seems like I shouldn’t really bother with the sync down to PC and just periodically copy over photos from our phones to my PC for permanent backup while having iCloud backup for phone disaster scenarios.
You could set up a secondary machine with an iCloud account that syncs the photos down if you really want local backups. I'm at a point where I don't really bother with local backups of my photos and I hope it doesn't bite me in the rear end. They just go up to iCloud, vaya con dios.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Last Chance posted:

You could set up a secondary machine with an iCloud account that syncs the photos down if you really want local backups. I'm at a point where I don't really bother with local backups of my photos and I hope it doesn't bite me in the rear end. They just go up to iCloud, vaya con dios.

Yeah but that means you can never delete them from your phone either.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

tuyop posted:

Works fine for me since launch. I'm using the same laptop as you

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tuyop posted:

It's got some rough edges, but nothing show-stopping that I've encountered. Maybe just wait for 10.14.1 (probably next week) if you want.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I thought safari was dogshit, but it was the new adblockers making it slow

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Is it possible to rename a device in target disk mode? How about installing an enrollment profile?

The naming might be possible by editing the right file with Terminal (looks like /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.plist), but I would be wary. With enrollment profile, though you could place one on the volume, I think in the best scenario you're going to run into UAMDM if you're running anything 10.13.4+.

Are you the guy who has Jamf but can't use it because of office politics? Are you starting to use it now and need to enroll devices? With a live Jamf server, there are other ways you could handle both tasks.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 18, 2018

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I thought safari was dogshit, but it was the new adblockers making it slow

So what’s the best thing to do about ad blocking? I’m currently using ublock because I’m used to using it with chrome/firefox, but it comes with a “this will slow down your browser” warning, though it seems to run fine.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

So what’s the best thing to do about ad blocking? I’m currently using ublock because I’m used to using it with chrome/firefox, but it comes with a “this will slow down your browser” warning, though it seems to run fine.

I’m strongly considering a PiHole

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

nitsuga posted:

The naming might be possible by editing the right file with Terminal (looks like /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.plist), but I would be wary. With enrollment profile, though you could place one on the volume, I think in the best scenario you're going to run into UAMDM if you're running anything 10.13.4+.

Are you the guy who has Jamf but can't use it because of office politics? Are you starting to use it now and need to enroll devices? With a live Jamf server, there are other ways you could handle both tasks.

Yeah, I'm that guy. Sadly, I'm still trying to get by with Server.app profile management. On one hand, it's hilariously limited. On the other hand, I don't think it involves any kernel extensions, so UAMDM shouldn't matter, right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rhaegar posted:

Yeah but that means you can never delete them from your phone either.

why would I want to delete my photos

e: if you store them in the cloud, the phone autoremoves old photos locally and they have to re-download upon request. in my experience Photos use about 2.5-3gb on the device if you're using iCloud.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 18, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Last Chance posted:

why would I want to delete my photos

e: if you store them in the cloud, the phone autoremoves old photos locally and they have to re-download upon request. in my experience Photos use about 2.5-3gb on the device if you're using iCloud.

Only does that if you enable it. It’s called “optimize storage space” or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Clark Nova posted:

Not sure, I might go back to a hosts file

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is the go to adblocker for safari these days?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Entropy238 posted:

What is the go to adblocker for safari these days?

I'm using 1Blocker and Wipr.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

nitsuga posted:

I am stuck using server.app because jamf is too expensive for a small university. anything is too expensive.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

i think 'will slow down your web browsing' is a bit of a misnomer, it should really be 'may slow down your web browsing'. like afaik ublock and all the non-content blocker api blockers do the blocking through javascript, which is going to add some CPU and RAM overhead. makes sense why they don't support this on ios. in practice though i'm using a tower mac pro with 6 cores and 16gb RAM; safari's resource usage has never really been a problem and likely isn't a problem until you get into like 12" macbook territory.

the content blocker api blockers are nominally supposed to come with a speed improvement just by virtue of how they do the blocking, but i've never noticed that in practice and the ones i've tried (wipr et al) seem slower than just using ublock origin. i think this is because there's a limit on how much stuff they actually block, whereas ublock will gladly chomp through as many lists as you can throw at it. and being as i have a tower computer connected to the wall my system resources aren't exactly at a premium; my network connection is the limiting factor. so the more crap that's blocked the better, and the faster my browsing. obviously if i enabled every single list i might run into a bottleneck but i don't think i'm at that stage

there's also the privacy implication as ublock can read all the data you send and receive from sites. in practice, ublock is open source and recommended as a basic security measure for political campaign staffers so i'm not super worried

e: anyone with a 2012 mac pro and rx 580 notice a weird regression in sleep behaviour with mojave? like the computer will go to sleep and wake up just fine, but the monitor sometimes won't actually display an image for like 30s to a minute. it'll pretty much always eventually work but it's disconcerting as gently caress

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m strongly considering a PiHole

I'm using a PiHole, it's pretty nice.
You'll spend the first week or two running into weird issues with certain sites until you know what to whitelist though.
(For some reason the "add to cart" button on the Lowes website is completely broken with PiHole running :shrug:)