Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this was dug up from the interim usa gymnastics president

https://twitter.com/MaryBonoUSA/status/1038189174560452609

https://twitter.com/Simone_Biles/status/1051209065844609024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://twitter.com/jemiaule/status/1051302728255729665?s=09

Deleted it after she gone blown the gently caress up

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
At this point I think American gymnasts have a case for wanting to compete independently under the Olympic flag instead of under USA Gymnastics/USOC. What a shitshow.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Yet another cherry on top of this poo poo sunday, Bono was a partner in the law firm that covered for Nassar as late as 2016. Biles, Raisman, et al, are not happy:

https://twitter.com/Aly_Raisman/status/1051945392940740608

And yet another good article from Dvora Meyers:

https://deadspin.com/simone-biles-has-all-the-power-and-she-knows-it-1829744898

PotatoJudge fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 16, 2018

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Oh poo poo, I hadn't connected the dots that this is the same Mary Bono who was the widow of Sonny and picked up his congressional seat and did basically nothing a decade in Congress before she got redistricted away from her moderate rich Republican base and immediately lost; a right-leaning friend of mine who had to work with her while she represented his district told me he wouldn't trust her to run a car wash. Other fun facts: after divorces in marriages #2 and 3, she's now on husband #4; also she got suckered in by that Greg Mortenson rear end in a top hat's culty Three Cups of Tea bullshit.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

and just like that

she gone

https://twitter.com/Sarah_Boxer/status/1052279843839193088

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
and the beat goes on

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kapernick, notable for not having any repercussions from the sports world for exercising his rights.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
USA Gymnastics will now turn to the next person on their list, Lou Anna Simon.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AsInHowe posted:

USA Gymnastics will now turn to the next person on their list, Lou Anna Simon.

nah, she doesn't have any gymnastics specific experience

now you know who's got loads of gymnastics experience and is currently looking for a job?

gently caress this "ARE TROOPS" bullshit excuse, just knowing someone who died in military service doesn't give you the right to denigrate someone making a stand (pun not intended) for what they believe in because they're not sacrificing enough or whatever

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DC Murderverse posted:

nah, she doesn't have any gymnastics specific experience

now you know who's got loads of gymnastics experience and is currently looking for a job?

Totally forgot about her, that's a slam dunk hire that USA Gymnastics will definitely make.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
So this ends with melania trump running usa gymnastics somehow right?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

jit bull transpile posted:

Somehow, not evil enough.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

jit bull transpile posted:

Ivanka.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Karoliys

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

always more

always worse

https://twitter.com/julietmacur/status/1052766912525074433?s=21

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Vertical Lime posted:

always more

always worse

Well you know what they say, the coverup is always worse than the crime

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BenFischerSBJ/status/1059569581717504000

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
That some welcome good news.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
If you can cope with it, here’s a great article covering a big part of How We Got Here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lou Anna Simon, the former MSU president, has been charged with lying to state police about the Nassar investigation

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

String the rest of these loving monsters up. gently caress them, I hope they have the book thrown at them.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1070420333629444096

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/danwetzel/status/1072265141742436353?s=21

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Ah.

Disband America.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

:smith:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Drunk Canuck posted:

Ah.

Disband America.

Anarchosyndicalism would be better at this point honestly. These people don't respect anything beyond sources of power greater than theirs and I'm completely at a loss for any practical system of governance that can control for that so it's time for pie in the sky poo poo like athletes forming dros to protect them from corrupt governing bodies.

I'm only 70% joking.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I know it's not the biggest point in all this, and I know I've brought it up before, but I hope the USA gymnasts demand to compete under the IOC flag instead of the USA flag because those fuckers at the USOC don't deserve to get a single bit of credit or acclaim from their efforts. I hope Simone Byles and the rest of them win all the medals and the national anthem never plays for any of it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

skaboomizzy posted:

I know it's not the biggest point in all this, and I know I've brought it up before, but I hope the USA gymnasts demand to compete under the IOC flag instead of the USA flag because those fuckers at the USOC don't deserve to get a single bit of credit or acclaim from their efforts. I hope Simone Byles and the rest of them win all the medals and the national anthem never plays for any of it.

They'd get loving crucified

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

A couple 90 year old columnists would grumble and barstool will do 400 articles about who they'd gently caress on the team even if they're underage, but beyond that I doubt anyone would give them grief about it given the circumstances.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

A couple 90 year old columnists would grumble and barstool will do 400 articles about who they'd gently caress on the team even if they're underage, but beyond that I doubt anyone would give them grief about it given the circumstances.

Their sponsorships might totally fall apart though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Their sponsorships might totally fall apart though.

All you'd have to change on the Wheaties box, commercial captions, whatever, is to call Symone "American Gymnast" instead of "Team USA Gymnast". I don't think it'd be too big a deal

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

General Dog posted:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

DJExile posted:

We had a several month long freak-out because Kapernick didn't stand for the national anthem. It literally doesn't not matter how badly U.S. gymnastics failed these women. People would lose their minds.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The problem is, start looking back however far you like, and it's hard to escape the conclusion that a primary feature of the vast majority of human institutions is making younger generations available for the sexual predations of older ones. And obviously there's a lot of different hierarchies there that need tearing apart, but it also means they're mutually reinforcing; once one layer is threatened, the other layers start kicking in, sometimes consciously, way more often as just a sort of immediate reactionary kick.

If they refused to compete under the American flag or and wouldn't dress out in skimpy stars-and-stripes leotards, there will be plenty of average everyday people that would call them traitors and much else besides and more than a few who would want them executed for treason. And that's even besides the sort of victim-blaming that would make them all continue to relive their abuses over and over again.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Well, SI had Christine Blasey Ford (the woman harassed by Brett Kavanaugh) give an award to the original Nassar whistleblower, and the predictable angry dipshits are furious over it.

If the gymnasts wanted to compete under the IOC flag, they would be killed, literally, by conservatives.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Special prosecutor William Forsyth has released his report on the whole drat mess. It absolutely shreds the whole school.

quote:

“That so many survivors independently disclosed to so many different MSU employees over so many years, each time with no success, reveals a problem that cannot be explained as mere isolated, individual failures; it is evidence of a larger cultural problem at the MSU Sports Medicine Clinic and MSU more broadly.”

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

MSU released a statement stating that they haven't learned a single loving thing:

https://twitter.com/MattMencarini/status/1076181125108822016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anals of History posted:

MSU released a statement stating that they haven't learned a single loving thing:

https://twitter.com/MattMencarini/status/1076181125108822016

TBH this is about all they can say as official statements go. It's really just a throwaway statement accepting the investigation and acknowledging/confirming a lack of criminal charges. I think some civil suits may still be ongoing so they have to be very short with their statements. Personally I think they ought to be sued into oblivion but their school counsel is probably telling everyone to just shut the hell up for now. (yes, that's how they got here in the first place, but you know what I mean)

That said, have they learned anything? I sure as hell doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

TBH this is about all they can say as official statements go. It's really just a throwaway statement accepting the investigation and acknowledging/confirming a lack of criminal charges. I think some civil suits may still be ongoing so they have to be very short with their statements. Personally I think they ought to be sued into oblivion but their school counsel is probably telling everyone to just shut the hell up for now. (yes, that's how they got here in the first place, but you know what I mean)

That said, have they learned anything? I sure as hell doubt it.

I could better accept it as standard PR if the board hadn't already let it be known that everything related to Nassar is an inconvenience and a distraction. After every awful, stupid thing they've done or said previously, it seems inappropriate at best to claim any sort of victory w/r/t an investigation that named a couple dozen MSU employees who consciously turned their backs on assault/rape survivors. It's also gross to claim thankfulness and respect for the investigators who they stonewalled at every turn by withholding or heavily redacting documents like they're the loving CIA.

I agree with MSU getting sued back to the stone age. It'd be nice if there was some way to find the board members and individuals named liable outside of any D&O protection or to take money away from pointless building upgrades, but I have no idea if that's possible. I just don't want the expense to be passed along to students or teaching staff who genuinely had nothing to do with any of this.