Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Arquinsiel posted:

"No task found, closing ticket".

"case text corrupted. Unresolvable. Closing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

"No task found, closing ticket".

"Problem between keyboard and chair, elevating to HR for permission to replace."

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

There are some perks to primarily supporting content editors.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proteus Jones posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/12/magazine/on-language-doing-the-needful.html

People have been confused/charmed/outraged by Indian English forever.

please
⊂_ヽ
  \\ do
   \( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    > ⌒ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\the
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\needful
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
ノ )  Lノ
(_/

Can't have needful chat without this piece of art.

Jaco
Aug 14, 2005
An :siren: INCIDENT :siren: came in:

Marketing Person posted:

have access to Google Analytics for the site, but cannot figure out how to create reports on [stuff], someone please call me ASAP."

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I have a coworker that is young and online. If I hear "top kek" or "roflcopter" or whatever loving memes are a thing now one more time I may scream.

Oh god this is what I was like in my 20s with the 35+ sysadmins. God I was such a tool.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Antioch posted:

I have a coworker that is young and online. If I hear "top kek" or "roflcopter" or whatever loving memes are a thing now one more time I may scream.
Tell him his meme expressions are old and stale.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'll come in tomorrow and there will be a ceiling cat

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

You'll come in tomorrow and there will be a ceiling cat

I worked somewhere where this actually happened.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Was it watching you masturbate?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
I used to support (grad)students at a university and currently work with two people in their mid-twenties that essentially joined the workforce after high school.
It's interesting to see that the difference in education creates a totally different online experience for people in the same age group (This has been observed in some research done on the subject as well).

Now onto the annoying point of that observation: these guys have no loving life outside of video-games and video-game talk, my god.

More fun Observation:
Current colleagues are pretty okay computer-touchers for most stuff, way better than higher educated University students of the same age.
But things start falling apart fast when they have to research stuff and then the students pull ahead.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

And a big Jeff Goldblum poster on the toilet cubicle door

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

spog posted:

Was it watching you masturbate?

No, I was watching *it* while masturbating

Thanks Ants posted:

And a big Jeff Goldblum poster on the toilet cubicle door

Not quite, but there was a sad keanu somewhere

and nerf guns

and a quadcopter

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
hahaha holy poo poo the joys of being an ISP.

The number of customers who called to complain to us because youtube was down last night jesus christ

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Renegret posted:

hahaha holy poo poo the joys of being an ISP.

The number of customers who called to complain to us because youtube was down last night jesus christ

To be honest, my first thought was Comcast loving with the CDN.

Turns out it was this guy.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Methanar posted:

If someone sent me a l33tsp3ak email I'd flatly tell them to rewrite it.

Tell them to revert it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jaco posted:

An :siren: INCIDENT :siren: came in:

I love these types of requests. You don't know how to create content huh? That is cool. You do realize that support teams aren't here to show you how to do your job right?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://i.imgur.com/Q1w2Gx8.mp4

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:five:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

a good post.

a very good post.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

:perfect:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

:five:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LethalGeek posted:

Even with all the modern tech lawyers will make Word cry in ways I didn't think was possible. Also their stupid need to have everything in one document and then they wonder why Word & Acrobat start going bonkers dealing with 2500 page files.

I am shocked on a pretty much weekly basis that there isn't a word processor available today that emulates even a small subset of WordPerfect 5.1's command set. Back in the early 90s when I was at Software Etc., our bestselling books were routinely intermediate and advanced WP5.1 volumes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

It's shocking how much every part of this looks like a UI that Google would absolutely consider perfectly adequate to release to the public.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Advanced usage of WordPerfect was magic considering when it was made...

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
:laffo:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

:yotj:

A lateral move, or so it's called to avoid giving me a big raise, but I'm no longer a screwdriver jockey as of next week. I'm moving over to support the R&D, QA, and manufacturing labs at $BIG_PHARMA. That'll be much more project-y work with some fun Active Directory stuff to do.

:woot:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

:wooper: vcentre server is not network-contactable right now. Can you please eyeball it and see what’s going on?
:ghost: Looks like it’s in System Critical shutdown. One of the power packs has failed.
:wotwot: Pull the power plug to the server wait 5 secs plug it back in. It only needs one of the power supplies to run which would mean that both have failed.
:ghost: I’ve done that and changed the power supply port it was plugged into but the PPM error did not clear and the machine remained in system critical shutdown.

:wooper: That power supply has been dead for quite a while now; I wonder whether that’s a red herring in this instance. What is this “system critical shutdown”? Is it an OS message? Does it need a hard reset?
:ghost: This is the current state:

Internal Health LED: Flashing red
Manual says this is “System critical. To identify component in critical state, refer to Systems Insight Display LEDs”

External health LED: Flashing red
Manual says “Critical power supply failure. To identify component in critical state, refer to Systems Insight Display LEDs”

Power On LED: Amber
Manual says “System shut down, but power still applied”

System Insight Display LEDs are as follows:
Right Power Supply: Amber – “Failure”
Right PPM Unit: Amber – “Failure”

:wooper: PPM = Processor Power Module: I think this warning is new. We might be in the market to buy a new one (or at least popping the lid and reseating it):
:wotwot: Can we pull the power from both power supplies wait 5secs plug back in ? have you done that already ?
:ghost: Hi all, I pressed the power button and it went green and all the warnings disappeared.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

A lateral move, or so it's called to avoid giving me a big raise, but I'm no longer a screwdriver jockey as of next week. I'm moving over to support the R&D, QA, and manufacturing labs at $BIG_PHARMA. That'll be much more project-y work with some fun Active Directory stuff to do.

:woot:

Coming over to East Bay then?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

As of next week I am no longer dealing with tickets that come in, and instead breaking things to create tickets for other people.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

As of next week I am no longer dealing with tickets that come in, and instead breaking things to create tickets for other people.

Bless you, my child. Welcome to the team.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Let me guess: from support to QA?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Better.

Datacenter Technician to Pentesting :v:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Better.

Oooh, from fancy support to fancy QA. congrats :).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

:wink:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Sorry I am a literal child

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^

That's how we all ended up posting in this thread, on this site.

Volguus posted:

Oooh, from fancy support to fancy QA. congrats :).
It's the least fancy support I've been in TBH. We basically ignore alarms and run cables. Anything fun gets escalated to NOC or Managed Services.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Coming over to East Bay then?

Still in SSF. Not that I can't make the trip if there's a game afoot.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Arquinsiel posted:

Better.

:allears: That's so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Here's a friendly reminder to prevent some tickets coming in if you still have Windows 7 machines and O365, don't forget O365 is going TLS 1.2 only on October 31st.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-a-default-secure-protocols-in

Hope you have KB3140245 installed along with a GPO to push the registry key out!