Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder what's next for Shane Black after Predator flopped? He and Dekker were reported as developing a reboot of the Avengers for television which would've been a Swinging London period piece but nothing's been heard of it since the start of the year. Maybe he can pick that back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

volts5000 posted:

So, apparently, they're making a new sequel to "The Mask" and it looks closer to the comic book version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftqWqGpZoTI

The EPIC ORCHESTRAL cover of Gangster’s Paradise is hilarious.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was used in the Valerian trailer.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I need to hear the "gothic version of a song by 50 Cent" mentioned in My Immortal.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm okay with Shane Black shuffling off into the sunset

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Indonesian martial-arts gore film hitting Netflix next Friday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfSisHrUTLM

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is the sunset making more movies like The Nice Guys?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I am not. And that’s the final truth.

(Been listening to way too much lpotl)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not saying he's bad or anything. I thought The Nice Guys was...nice. He wrote some really fun movies.
It's just that yeah someone else probably will be around to make a super quippy movie at some point soon.
(also I'd like to demand my money for Iron Man 3 back but that's probably 40% my fault for seeing a comic book movie/Iron Man movie in theaters anyway)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Predator was only bad cause it was set at Halloween instead of Christmas. He was out of his element.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, that's the only reason Predator was bad :v:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
So it doesn't bother you guys shane black keeps making the exact same movie over again but when marvel does it it's a crime against humanity

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ammanas posted:

So it doesn't bother you guys shane black keeps making the exact same movie over again but when marvel does it it's a crime against humanity
exposed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ammanas posted:

95% of Marvel movies are goddamned rubbish I wouldn't wipe my rear end with

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ammanas posted:

the problem is that the Marvel movies are boring, whereas Shane Black, despite having made at least one very bad movie, has not made a single boring one

also I wasn't trying to suggest that Black should reboot The Mask, more that Hunt for Green October feels a lot like something he'd write and that makes it feel eminently movie-able

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m told Predators was mostly ruined because they found out about a sex predator being on the cast and had to delete all his scenes and didn’t have time to Christopher Plummer somebody in, resulting in a very disjointed end product. Was there any potential to the movie being good if they had more time?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Steve Yun posted:

I’m told Predators was mostly ruined because they found out about a sex predator being on the cast and had to delete all his scenes and didn’t have time to Christopher Plummer somebody in, resulting in a very disjointed end product. Was there any potential to the movie being good if they had more time?

He had literally one scene, that wasn't the important bit. The studio basically kramered in and redid the entire third act for reasons unrelated to that, and redid other bits to match continuity, which is what really hosed the movie.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do we know what the third act would have been like?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I found it amazing that The Predator has a character who is a total rear end in a top hat and then they make his death a blink and you'll miss it affair. You're supposed to enjoy those, not leave people wondering what just happened.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Black should reboot The Mask

Agreed.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mierenneuker posted:

I found it amazing that The Predator has a character who is a total rear end in a top hat and then they make his death a blink and you'll miss it affair. You're supposed to enjoy those, not leave people wondering what just happened.

That scene was just insane. I was all: wait what did that just happen? Why? How? Didn't anyone notice or care?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think it should've been obvious from the start that Shane Black can't make a film better than Predators

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's been done.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Yes we do. Well, I do.

The reshoots made it better, or at least gave it a point. The third act was totally pointless in early versions.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

kiimo posted:

Yes we do. Well, I do.

The reshoots made it better, or at least gave it a point. The third act was totally pointless in early versions.

Gonna need some details here.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

gently caress your NDA, internet friends want deets. That’s way more important.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The scripts out there.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjYRFZOf4I

Never saw this posted, but I saw Thunder Road last night. Trailer is awesome, movie is awesome, but holy smokes do they not match tonally at all. I was wondering how it could possibly be a comedy; they basically edited all the funny bits out for the trailer, like when someone edits The Shining to look like a sappy family drama.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4K8HPN-AuQ

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Friend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjYRFZOf4I

Never saw this posted, but I saw Thunder Road last night. Trailer is awesome, movie is awesome, but holy smokes do they not match tonally at all. I was wondering how it could possibly be a comedy; they basically edited all the funny bits out for the trailer, like when someone edits The Shining to look like a sappy family drama.

I suspect that was intentional, it's based on a short that is basically the prologue and the first movie by the director/writer/star. It is great!

edit: his name is Jim Cummings, the youtube acct that posted the linked trailer is his.

Gallatin fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 17, 2018

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Wendell posted:

The EPIC ORCHESTRAL cover of Gangster’s Paradise is hilarious.

I was hoping an orchestral version of Cuban Pete

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

There's been some articles on it based on set pics and the leaked script but basically there was supposed to be a whole thing with two good guy Predators in another secret military base who show up and help out.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Gallatin posted:

I suspect that was intentional, it's based on a short that is basically the prologue and the first movie by the director/writer/star. It is great!

edit: his name is Jim Cummings, the youtube acct that posted the linked trailer is his.

Yeah I just don't understand why. My wife didn't want to go see it because she thought she'd cry too much. She never cried, but I ended up snorting embarrassingly loudly from laughter. One of the funniest bits in the movie is in the trailer, but they just cut the punchline so it looks dramatic.

Don't get me wrong, I loving loved it and so did my wife. Everyone should see it if they can, and then come back and tell me why the trailer was so tonally different.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Friend posted:

Yeah I just don't understand why. My wife didn't want to go see it because she thought she'd cry too much. She never cried, but I ended up snorting embarrassingly loudly from laughter. One of the funniest bits in the movie is in the trailer, but they just cut the punchline so it looks dramatic.

Don't get me wrong, I loving loved it and so did my wife. Everyone should see it if they can, and then come back and tell me why the trailer was so tonally different.

Now I understand what you are saying, when I first saw the trailer there was no way I was going to watch the movie and then a friend I usually trust recommend it. My guess is to generate buzz just like this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

muscles like this! posted:

There's been some articles on it based on set pics and the leaked script but basically there was supposed to be a whole thing with two good guy Predators in another secret military base who show up and help out.

Which was rad in the script.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Remember how there were a bunch of terrible looking military propaganda films releasing around the same this fall?

lol how the connection between DoD and Hollywood is just overtly glorified now

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/hunter-killer-gerard-butler-pentagon-press-conference-1202012790/

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko3cwWEYpkw

Well that's certainly a trailer

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

From south of the border, I bring you drugs and a vengeful spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBLcYJ7C4F0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALhy6XTpMlk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
There's an article up on The Ringer on "Thunder Road" and how it went from best short at Sundance to hit movie in France.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/10/16/17982028/thunder-road-film-jim-cummings-distribution-independent-sxsw-sundance

edit:

The New Yorker printed a Claire Denis profile a couple of months ago:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/05/28/the-fearless-cinema-of-claire-denis

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 18, 2018