Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The most broken ptr cards are:

Bearmaster - combined with derran and other low commitment skellige thinning tools you can guarantee playing three to four 15 point 4 provision bronzes per game. This plays like a live gwent deck, it's a huge prpblem and the deck's existence indicates a problem with SK's thinning tools in general, not just this card (which obviously needs to change as well)

Golden Froth/Zoltan - Buff all units by 2 is too easy to get value out of, plus this card is a bronze so other cards can replay it. Cap it at hitting 6 units and most of the problem is solved (not the gremist problem though).

Phoenix - carryover is very strong in this gwent and this is just too efficient and pretty difficult to disrupt.

Caranthir - a force multiplier for broken cards, especially phoenix. Really fun to use but his power level is so high in the base case anyways. For sure should only spawn copies of bronzes.

Most monster bronzes - All the good monster bronzes are 2-3 points above rate, and deathwish in general is so strong because disupting their pseudo engines gives them points. Lile removal does not counter them and they have more engines than you can ever lock, plus their leader can be used every round for at least 4 points. Monster just gets more points for some reason, an absurdly powerful bronze engine for them, slyzard, is 4 points when most factions have much lower stats on worse engines.

Eithne - Far and away the most op leader, anchors a faction that's otherwise not very good. She can set up broken epidemics, scorches, regises, get absurd value out of wolf packs, and gets 12 guaranteed value per game even with no other synergies.

Eredin - Just fundamentally broken as a concept. Immunity persisting in the graveyard and applying to units after you restore them is just a problem and doesnt work with the 25 card limit.

and most obvious of all -

Witchers - 6 provision cost for each is an absurd cost. You're paying 6 more provision points than the lowest possible cost cards to thin 2 cards out of your deck and to make one of the highest tempo plays in the game (12 points). Needs to go to 3 str, 7 provision points (maybe even needs a bigger nerf).

Usurper's a dumb leader but isnt really a question of balance. He absolutely should be changed though.

I'm not sure if sihil is broken. I know it's dumb as hell with eithne in long rounds but the card cannot get good value in a 3 card round.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What I didn't know until I read some impressions today is that, beyond doing the coinflip mechanics, reducing the rows to two, and putting the provision mechanics, they also have removed mechanics like Armor and the buff/debuff effects (Strengthen and Weaken). Only these two already removes a good amount of strategies and variety the game had before.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

No Wave posted:

Provisions is neat but it's hard to say if it will really increase the variety of different cards that are used.

The big upside in my mind is that it gives them another knob to tune for balancing cards down the line, rather than it all hinging on the card's point value and effect.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

What I didn't know until I read some impressions today is that, beyond doing the coinflip mechanics, reducing the rows to two, and putting the provision mechanics, they also have removed mechanics like Armor and the buff/debuff effects (Strengthen and Weaken). Only these two already removes a good amount of strategies and variety the game had before.

Armor is almost certainly coming back when the Redanian cards are released.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Does anyone know what happens to our ore and scraps when homecoming hits? should I spend it all on cards now or will they be carrying over?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Up Circle posted:

Does anyone know what happens to our ore and scraps when homecoming hits? should I spend it all on cards now or will they be carrying over?

I don't have any news they are disappearing. And if they are disappearing in favor of another material or currency, they will make the conversion for you.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

Up Circle posted:

All your cards are converted to scrap at full value including premiums, meaning you get no meteorite powder but can use this to convert your powder to scrap if you want to.
Ore stays the same.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
So there was a stream today showing off new Homecoming features, the big thing is the revamped account system. Levels are given out much more commonly, and there's a prestige system that grants permanent reward upgrades to your account, with things like guaranteed premium cards in your kegs or increases to the baseline daily rewards, etc.

Additionally, it looks like ranked will grant you points to spend on a reward track with lore tidbits as you progress along it.

Pretty neat new systems.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

if I'd played my stupid 50 pro ladder games in august i would go straight to rank 0 in this new season. Now i have to start at 15 and have to tilt and fail at getting whatever the new gm border equivalent might be for several months. Gr!!!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The progression stuff looked great. I think homecoming makes a bad first impression but I've noticed a lot of people warming up to it. Hope it's good and, if so, can reach a solid audience

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Honestly I'm kinda excited for Thonebreaker. The single player Gwent experience, getting cards, puzzles, etc has all been pretty great, so getting that on top of having voice acted storylines and some great art is what I wanna play. Maybe it'll sell me harder on what Gwent homecoming can be. :v:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Strongly agree, while I'm hopeful for multiplayer, I'm certainly going to spend some time on Thronebreaker.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I preordered it the other day, I had some spare money on my Paypal account.

Thronebreaker isn't expensive, if you also play Gwent, as it also includes 20 cards for Gwent you unlock while playing the campaign, 5 kegs, and there are achievements with reward points (see Minrad post about new progression system) for the Thronebreaker campaign, so playing it will also net you extra materials and cards.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Is there a release date for PS4 I don’t think I’ve seen it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

Is there a release date for PS4 I don’t think I’ve seen it

Don't quote me but I think it's coming on December??

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They announced yesterday the new progress system for Gwent, and people are pretty happy about it
https://youtu.be/wmoGruycZRM?t=448

They maintain the daily win / daily quests system
And they have added a new prestige system, where every 60 levels your account gains a permanent booster, like gaining always a rare card or better in every keg. They also made levelling a bit faster as now the maximum effective level will be 660.

The ranked progression is also redone, but he novelties are the contract (achievement) system and the reward system.

There are lots of achievements to get, the UI is good (search by text, similar ones are grouped, you can showcase your favorite ones in your profile, you can pin up the ones you are trying to complete), and they give you reward points, which can be spend of the reward page:

It has several pages, they are themed on a faction and leader

And using the reward points you unlock a node, advancing in the lines in the way you want, getting resources on each point, and also free premium leader cards and faction kegs in the 'end' nodes.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ybg6OT3DI

Sick. That's dope

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/thronebreaker-the-witcher-tales-review-queen-of-ca/1900-6417014/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

sometimes i forget how much good will everyone besides gwent players have for CDPR

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Holy moly, this is actually releasing on time? I've been ignoring this since the spring when they said they'd not be releasing any updates until homecoming. Whole lotta changes by the looks of it. Bummed that it looks like I'll be losing a bunch of my premium cards in the changeover, oh well.

edit: WTF is happening with how card advantage works? Passing looks to be a totally different prospect now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The card draw changes are good. Passing becomes something that's in general only profitable after playing 3 cards round 1. This doesnt mean tempo is irrelevant, but it means that your first 3 turns of tempo are important rather than a 1-turn cheese combo like brouver cleaver or dandelion roach alchemist.

CA is still obviously great but less intrinsically game-deciding as well due to drawing 3 cards r3 (probably the best change of any of them). I assume we're going to see a lot of cheese built around trying to take round 1 fast and expensively then setting things up r2 and stacking r3 using thinning and stored mulligans (a mechanic that's very interesting and potentially dangerous).

The crucial breakpoints are 7 and 4 cards. If you go below 7 cards in hand you can lose CA that carries over to the next round and if you win round 1 with 4 or more cards you can guarantee having a max hand size r3.

Still a lot to be seen. PTR was very unbalanced so i expect release will be a little wild.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

The card draw changes are good. Passing becomes something that's in general only profitable after playing 3 cards round 1. This doesnt mean tempo is irrelevant, but it means that your first 3 turns of tempo are important rather than a 1-turn cheese combo like brouver cleaver or dandelion roach alchemist.

CA is still obviously great but less intrinsically game-deciding as well due to drawing 3 cards r3 (probably the best change of any of them). I assume we're going to see a lot of cheese built around trying to take round 1 fast and expensively then setting things up r2 and stacking r3 using thinning and stored mulligans (a mechanic that's very interesting and potentially dangerous).

The crucial breakpoints are 7 and 4 cards. If you go below 7 cards in hand you can lose CA that carries over to the next round and if you win round 1 with 4 or more cards you can guarantee having a max hand size r3.

Still a lot to be seen. PTR was very unbalanced so i expect release will be a little wild.

Hmm, managing your knowledge of what's remaining in your deck was always important in Old Gwent but it looks to be even more important now. This release is gonna be nuts.

Looks like GwentUp (my personal favorite deck tracker) is not going to be ready immediately. I may need to do paper/pencil again.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There are far fewer tutors so it's a lot easier to do. The main ptr problem was that there was no way to see how many cards were left in your deck.

I never played with a tracker and apparently they're adding a counter for cards left in deck, it shouldnt be too different and being off should immediately lose me the game less often than live gwent.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/thronebreaker-the-witcher-tales/critic-reviews

Lots of positive reviews for Thronebreaker.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Old Gwent is dead, long live Gwent being good

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
so, looks like things will start happening tomorrow. exciting!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Please be good, new Gwent.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im gonna play this tomorrow

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Thronebreaker looks cool at least

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i will read over the cards tomorrow and will post the broken ones here.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

You can now preinstall Thronebreaker through GOG Galaxy. I'm actually excited about a game with card battles, what a world.

Edit: You can click play once it installs, but all you get is this image:

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 22, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Go-live is allegedly 13:00 CEST, or 7 AM EST. Very curious to see what's been done with eithne.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nilfgaard is always up to some bull poo poo. Be careful out there folks

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So question. Cant find this anywhere and it might be a silly question.

Can you control thronebreaker with a controller? Everything shows mouse controls but that's not how I play even on pc. Literally the difference between buying today or waiting a month and getting on ps4.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The store page on GOG says it has controller support, I'd presume it's the same as what consoles will get considering it comes out for consoles in december

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Awesome. Thanks. I looked on gog but I was in the hardware requirements must have missed it on the front page.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm going to wait for reviews before pulling the trigger on it, but I'm tempted.

Azran fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 23, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Thronebreaker is out.

Azran posted:

I'm going to wait for reviews before pulling the trigger on it, but I'm tempted.

There's a lot of them already, they're all pretty positive.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok homecoming is released. Kambi got a big nerf sadly (up one pp, down one str). Lemmens was sadly nerfed by a crucial point (but it's not surprising).

Usurper went to 0 mulligans, good change.

Eithne went to 3 charges, she will still be insanely broken and is the best leader in the game.

Zoltan: Scoundrel is dramatically undercosted.
Seltkirk is really, really good in foltest now.
Golden froth is way under costed.
Ciri seems way undercosted, as does Avallach.
Isbel of Hagge seems very undercosted.
Caranthir is still completely broken.
Treason actually looks playable, especially when no one will play around it.
Imperial manticore is still amazin.
Witchers are still op. Much less op, but still op.
Thunderbolt is really good if you run other artifacts.
Bearmaster was nerfed by 2 pp which isnt nearly enough. This will be the target of the first balance patch. Savage bear was buffed for some reason too, this deck is completely broken - play lemmens.
Alpha werewolf goes in every monster deck.

The strongest deck right now looks like bearmaster. Be ready for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

No Wave posted:

The strongest deck right now looks like bearmaster. Be ready for it.

lmao

the more things change...