Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So I got my friend into USF4 because we're not sure if SF5 would work on her aging laptop (does it have way steeper specs than USF4 on PC?). We have a lot of fun even with just keyboards, and we're looking to purchase sticks. We usually meet up to play as online is laggy--are the portable sticks decent? My friend said they're not very ergonomic as you need to rest your hands, but I'm worried that full-sized sticks would be too bulky to carry around. Any advice?

Also, for a budding (USF4) player, what references/video tutorials do you recommend? We're not looking to be super competitive, just have fun while knowing what we're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Schneider Heim posted:

So I got my friend into USF4 because we're not sure if SF5 would work on her aging laptop (does it have way steeper specs than USF4 on PC?). We have a lot of fun even with just keyboards, and we're looking to purchase sticks. We usually meet up to play as online is laggy--are the portable sticks decent? My friend said they're not very ergonomic as you need to rest your hands, but I'm worried that full-sized sticks would be too bulky to carry around. Any advice?

Also, for a budding (USF4) player, what references/video tutorials do you recommend? We're not looking to be super competitive, just have fun while knowing what we're doing.

I would stay away from "mini" sized sticks. If you want something really compact you can play a on pad like a DS4 or a Hori FC, though you might need to install something like DS4windows to get it to work with US4. Some of the lower end sticks (Qanba Drone?) are compact without shrinking the form factor too much, though the PCB won't be that great and you'll eventually want to swap out the stock buttons/stick. IMO pretty much any stick is portable, my friend brings his Hori Fighting Edge to locals and that thing is massive.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I have a mini stick and it’s a good secondary stick. But I wouldn’t recommend it as the only one you own.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Get a really big stick and use it as a rucksack.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Most of the popular sticks will fit in a random backpack or messenger bag so don't worry about portability that much.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Victory Position posted:

let me tell you about the RTS known only as "Jack-O",

Jacko is tower defence tbh

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

dhamster posted:

I would stay away from "mini" sized sticks. If you want something really compact you can play a on pad like a DS4 or a Hori FC, though you might need to install something like DS4windows to get it to work with US4. Some of the lower end sticks (Qanba Drone?) are compact without shrinking the form factor too much, though the PCB won't be that great and you'll eventually want to swap out the stock buttons/stick. IMO pretty much any stick is portable, my friend brings his Hori Fighting Edge to locals and that thing is massive.

Thanks. I'm looking at the Hori Hayabusa since that's the one readily available here.

I also installed Fightcade, but I need to port forward my laptop's ports 6000-6009 as UDP. I also read that I need to forward 7000 as TCP? I couldn't play with my friend last night, but I'll try again later.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks. I'm looking at the Hori Hayabusa since that's the one readily available here.

My stick is a hayabusa (rap n) and it perfectly fits inside of a small backpack. Anything than can hold more than two textbooks should be able to hold that stick without issues.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Schneider Heim posted:

I also installed Fightcade, but I need to port forward my laptop's ports 6000-6009 as UDP. I also read that I need to forward 7000 as TCP? I couldn't play with my friend last night, but I'll try again later.

6000-6009 udp should be fine, never heard of setting 7000 as tcp for it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1052879055861633024

:supaburn:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's cool but it's gonna suck when they don't sell and Sega uses that as an excuse to continue not porting the VF games to anything that's not Haruka's loving smartwatch or whatever.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've thrown about 60 hours into DBFZ and have enjoyed it tremendously - really enjoyed the ramp up of skill from simple auto combos to universal combos and then character specific combos. This is the first game that really had auto combos I played so it allowed me to spend 4-5 days to learn the mechanics of the game while kinda competing. I haven't played a fighting game like this since BlazBlue Continuum Shift.

I heard BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle is another great game that's similar to FighterZ. I've put about five hours into it, and am liking it....but it feels....janky? Like the movement feels stiff and is nowhere near impressive graphically. The assists aren't garbage except for half a dozen of them at least, and the blockstrings in FighterZ get a little annoying at times (Oh hey he's got both assists up better hope I'm guessing correctly for the next 10 seconds! Oh, and he's playing Adult Gohan, so good loving luck!) I am a BlazBlue and Persona fan so there's definitely a lot of characters that I recognize and like, but I find that while playing it I'd rather just be playing FighterZ. It's such a better looking game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the movement in BBTag is way cooler but it's undeniably uglier bc it's mashing up ripped sprites from 4 different franchises, 2 of which are tremendously loving ugly anyway, and a third of which is kinda bad too. leans back with mah :troll: while people make jokes about which is the good one and which are the bad ones

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bbtag is good because every set isn't a twenty minute long slog of cinematics and low damage

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like and don't like how cross combos deal unrecoverable damage.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

ambienishly: BloodBorne Cross Tag Battle

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Bbtag is good because every set isn't a twenty minute long slog of cinematics and low damage

Truest post

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

If yall like Pop offs, well, here ya go.

https://twitter.com/rogueyoshi_FGC/status/1052974210681856003

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

In Training posted:

I think the movement in BBTag is way cooler but it's undeniably uglier bc it's mashing up ripped sprites from 4 different franchises, 2 of which are tremendously loving ugly anyway, and a third of which is kinda bad too. leans back with mah :troll: while people make jokes about which is the good one and which are the bad ones

we all know you love uniel!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think UNIEL is kind of ugly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I think UNIEL is kind of ugly.

some of the alt colors are godlike bad

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3eO646jjzQ

some good lessons in here for those starting off in tournaments, scrabble is now fgc

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1aq6sJEuVU&t=49s

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3eO646jjzQ

some good lessons in here for those starting off in tournaments, scrabble is now fgc

I used to take scrabble very seriously and have a cool board and a scrabble dictionary and poo poo. there are so many comparisons to fighting games you can make, from the game to the community to what happens when one guy in the group memorizes/looksup info (like 2 and 3 letter words). scrabble is downright cruel to new players since using all of your tiles nets you 50pts and bad players get like 115 points for an entire game.

there's a really good documentary but it's kind of old, called word wars that is really entertaining. its like bang the machine for scrabble players

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I always played with a two letter word list but I imagine that's not tournament legal

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I remember a couple years back there was even a huge scrabble scandal, like the British champion or something was palming tiles.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

that makes me wonder, do people ever cheat in fg tournaments? not like bracket collusion or whatever but actually in game. like sneaking a handicap or using a macro controller. I’m sure people have but I’ve never heard about it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Zand posted:

I used to take scrabble very seriously and have a cool board and a scrabble dictionary and poo poo. there are so many comparisons to fighting games you can make, from the game to the community to what happens when one guy in the group memorizes/looksup info (like 2 and 3 letter words). scrabble is downright cruel to new players since using all of your tiles nets you 50pts and bad players get like 115 points for an entire game.

there's a really good documentary but it's kind of old, called word wars that is really entertaining. its like bang the machine for scrabble players

i think i saw the same thing, it was really a fun watch.

also post more about the sgc zand. make some more comparisons. the coolest thing about the vid i posted was just hearing them say the same things I've felt about tournaments. itd be legit interesting to hear more

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

b_d posted:

that makes me wonder, do people ever cheat in fg tournaments? not like bracket collusion or whatever but actually in game. like sneaking a handicap or using a macro controller. I’m sure people have but I’ve never heard about it

option-select mods were a thing for sfiv

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

chumbler posted:

I remember a couple years back there was even a huge scrabble scandal, like the British champion or something was palming tiles.

This is why I dislike any competitive game that uses physical materials when everything could be computerized. Magic tournaments are full of this bullshit, along with gaming referees and lying/intimidating opponents into not enforcing game rules

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Man, I can't imagine how useful simple slight of hand tricks would be if you're a magic player

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Man, I can't imagine how useful simple slight of hand tricks would be if you're a magic player

I recently read an article on this, and it's pretty nuts.

You can get disqualified for having a foil card in your deck because there's people who can reliably cut to a foil.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

b_d posted:

Fullschedule had buttons that pressed multiple directions simultaneously for easier Viper combos in marvel. I don't think there was much drama, they told him to take them off and he did.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The one method of cheating I heard of from the old arcade days is that some guys would spoon the arcade cabinet, so they can feel it rattle against their crotches when the opponent goes for something with tons of inputs.

I have no idea if this is true, and now that I type it out, it sounds absolutely outlandish.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

b_d posted:

Allegedly wolfkrone tried earlier this year, by reporting he'd won a match he actually lost.

And the end of this match got both players banned from tekken world tour for collusion

https://youtu.be/-nX4q7T42OU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Flinger posted:

Fullschedule had buttons that pressed multiple directions simultaneously for easier Viper combos in marvel. I don't think there was much drama, they told him to take them off and he did.

Which was pretty bullshit since Sako used to have a stick with 12 buttons to make tight links easier in sf4

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Do you not remember the huge amount of drama that FChamp and Neo created over FS "cheating" and then Mr Wizard getting involved and outright lying about FS not getting approval to use the directional button (he had) etc

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

inthesto posted:

The one method of cheating I heard of from the old arcade days is that some guys would spoon the arcade cabinet, so they can feel it rattle against their crotches when the opponent goes for something with tons of inputs.

I have no idea if this is true, and now that I type it out, it sounds absolutely outlandish.

I did this too many times in my youth and now playing the arcade release of Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the only way I can get an erection. Be warned kids.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I did this too many times in my youth and now playing the arcade release of Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the only way I can get an erection. Be warned kids.

you and all the karin mains out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i remember someone slipped a hacked ver. of 20xx for melee that buffed Pichu under certain conditions.