Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

JaySB posted:

She grew up in Scottsdale, Arizona. Went to school there, spoke English her entire life. There is literally zero excuse for her to have as thick of a Brazilian accent as she does or need a translator. Her father also speaks English quite well, I've trained at their gym before.

it happens dude, not really sure what else to tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

JaySB posted:

She grew up in Scottsdale, Arizona. Went to school there, spoke English her entire life. There is literally zero excuse for her to have as thick of a Brazilian accent as she does or need a translator. Her father also speaks English quite well, I've trained at their gym before.

I know first generation canadians who dont speak much of their parents' languages but still have accents similar to their parents. I know others who speak their parents' languages but have no accents. I dont think its a big deal if someone has an accent if they are from arizona

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I completely understand that this is america, where we speak american and no phone is gonna make me press 3 to hear the messages in english. We all understand that these colours dont run. But also, like 4 million fake irish people materialize every time conor fights

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Constellation I posted:

it happens dude, not really sure what else to tell you

david carmichael posted:

I know first generation canadians who dont speak much of their parents' languages but still have accents similar to their parents. I know others who speak their parents' languages but have no accents. I dont think its a big deal if someone has an accent if they are from arizona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npfa4i8ws5M

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I guess we'll just never solve the mystery of why a family of brown foreigners didn't fully integrate into the community and culture of Scottsdale Arizona.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Sometimes people subconsciously change the way they speak to match the people around them. It's not a big deal but it is always funny. Case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVCAo8ITGAA

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I guess we'll just never solve the mystery of why a family of brown foreigners didn't fully integrate into the community and culture of Scottsdale Arizona.

Except they did? And her accent changed late in life.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Still crazy that Khabib shut Conor up by trying to crush his jaw into paste instead of putting him out and I can't even imagine how painful that was.

Those of you who train/have trained have you ever had that put on you? If so share your nightmare and does it feel like your jaw is going to break into pieces?

It's miserable. I wear a fairly thin mouthguard on just my upper teeth, and the pressure made it feel like I was going to bite all the way through it, but only if my jaw wasn't dislocated or broken in the process.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm sure everyone here saw, but I didn't notice that Khabib wasn't letting go after the tap and Herb Dean had to pry his grip apart until we watched the replay of the whole end of the fight like 3 times.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

MMA is so accessible, I can't think of another sport where so many people who post on a comedy forum can be like "yea I have done XYZ" with A league athletes in the sport.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Statistically probably most of the nfl and ncaa football threads have done sex stuff or are in a relationship with someone who does sex stuff with Manti Te'o

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm sure everyone here saw, but I didn't notice that Khabib wasn't letting go after the tap and Herb Dean had to pry his grip apart until we watched the replay of the whole end of the fight like 3 times.

If you go back and watch the first presser with no audience, Khabib is completely chill right up until Conor starts talking about his Dad.

They do one of those split screen things where you can see both guys talking and you can actually see Khabib's facial expression change as he starts listening to what Conor was saying.

I imagine he was bottling all that anger up and when he had the chance to make him hurt a bit he took it.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I wonder how much the Jon Jones "I was really even training :smuggo:" thing affected the Gustafsson fight. I really want to think Gustafson has a chance to win.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

willie_dee posted:

MMA is so accessible, I can't think of another sport where so many people who post on a comedy forum can be like "yea I have done XYZ" with A league athletes in the sport.

It is strangely universal in the states, too. No matter where you're from, there's likely someone in the UFC from a town nearby. I mean, I trained at the same gym as Sean O'Malley, but I left long before he got there. One of our coaches used to be The Pit's conditioning guy.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It is strangely universal in the states, too. No matter where you're from, there's likely someone in the UFC from a town nearby. I mean, I trained at the same gym as Sean O'Malley, but I left long before he got there. One of our coaches used to be The Pit's conditioning guy.

Around here we got to train with Alan Belcher and Ben Askren a lot. Brian Stann would also show up to a lot of the tournaments we went to in Georgia.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

willie_dee posted:

i would think almost every non team sport is like that

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Like 90% of gyms outside of supercamps make a significant percentage of their income from people training for fitness. With the exception of the highest tiers of guys its pretty common for UFC people to still be teaching classes. So if you're in a city with ufc athletes doing combat sports at any level there's a high chance of meeting them.

I've mentioned training with Hakeem Dawodu before years ago. Tbh I don't even know if he still coaches at the gym I was at....you know what he found that paid better? A hipster cardio boxercise studio. He hustled shirts through it to help fund his last camp.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JaySB posted:

You don't know what you're talking about and you're just making yourself look like a racist bumfuck.

There's also the video of her accent gradually changing. My accent changes based on what words I'm saying because I grew up in a mixed culture.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 18, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Seriously it's totally natural for your accent to slip if you live in a foreign country for an extended period you parochial fucks. I had a (relatively mild) accent when I moved to the states and I sound 100% American now

the translator thing is loving weird but it's plausible that he was meant for her brazilian fans, not because she suddenly doesn't understand english

What's really important is how that rear end look like a birthday cake

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Khabib is Extremely Good, yes

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
:yotj:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

you know whats a tite rear end song? bat out of hell, by meat loaf, in case we need something better to talk about but would prefer to stay way off topic

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

you know whats a tite rear end song? bat out of hell, by meat loaf, in case we need something better to talk about but would prefer to stay way off topic

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bluedeanie posted:

lol

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Bat Out of Hell is a good song. You think it's done but then it's like "Nope, there's tons more awesome parts to this song."

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Like a bat out of hell, I'll be gone when the morning comes...

*mckenzie derns fat rear end starts clapping in an australian accent*

... but when the day is done and the sun goes down, and the moonlight's shining through, then like a sinner before the gates of heaven I'll come crawling on back to you...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Living in America blew whatever tiny bits of an English accent I had out of the water. I sound like a southerner when I talk to one side of the family, and British when I talk to the other. But it makes me have some sympathy for her situation. Brains are weird. Language is weird.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Log posted:

Brains are weird.

Especially when your job involves getting pummeled in it on a regular basis!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

The video is really cool. I like that part where meatloaf almost falls over to scream "like a bat out of hell" but he does it with way more force than before.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Captain Log posted:

Living in America blew whatever tiny bits of an English accent I had out of the water. I sound like a southerner when I talk to one side of the family, and British when I talk to the other. But it makes me have some sympathy for her situation. Brains are weird. Language is weird.

Do you have a southerners translator

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
She’s just trying to fit in better with the Brazilian culture she’s immersed in, no harm no foul.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A Brazilian weeb if you will

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Khabib speaks better English than Dern at this pt

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Lid posted:

Do you have a southerners translator

It used to be called "liquor"

I'm a firm believer that southerners talk so oddly because of the heat. Breathing takes loving energy and hot air, so you just say, "Howyaaalldoin? Bet'chuwhat!"

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You don't know what you're talking about and you're just making yourself look like a racist bumfuck.

There's also the video of her accent gradually changing. My accent changes based on what words I'm saying because I grew up in a mixed culture.

Yes I do?

I'm a minority but okay.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
still wrong

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

JaySB posted:

Will never get over the fact that the girl who grew up in Scottsdale needs a translator for her post fight interviews...

JaySB posted:

JaySB posted:

JaySB posted:

Yes I do?

I'm a minority but okay.

Baby we can talk all night, but that ain't gettin' us nowhere.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My accent changes based on what threads i'm presently shitposting in. Right now I speak a combination of Welsh, Portugeuese, and Greco-Turkic phonemics.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I post in a sassy gay voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

i wonder if chris weidman is gonna get completely owned in front of his hometown crowd again

• Locked thread