Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
The easiest way to retcon the BoS into being is simply state that the BoS name itself was a pre war designation for the Power Armor corps, and Maxim believing his group to be the only real military survivors co-opted the name for themselves.

On top of that it probably wouldn’t be too hard to convince random other military groups that bunkered up after the fact to at least quasi agree to align themselves with your own organization. The traitor thing would likely be a non issue as in the best of days the military views themselves as being hosed over by the government at large and lol look ma, those idiots actually went and destroyed the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sheen Sheen posted:

The BoS being in this game is dumb.

Almost everything about this game seems dumb, so why not!

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Almost everything about this game seems dumb, so why not!

I mean, based on what I’ve seen it might actually be pretty low on the list of bad things about the game, so really, whatevs

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The problem with BoS is not BoS.

The problem is exploiting characters and names for nostalgia sake, instead of inventing something new.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/terence-blacker/this-naked-exploitation-of-nostalgia-544352.html
https://onlycametoseeeboue.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/hypocritical-rant-on-nostalgia-exploitation-in-film-tv-culture/

Soon we will have "Pretty Women 2: My wife was a whore" and "Gladiator 2: Why I am even alive" and "Bee Movie 2: Ghostbusters".

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a question. I vaguely remember reading in a magazine before New Vegas came out that the plot was going to be about a large cache of energy weapons and the fights between the factions for control of it, and that it would be mostly ballistic until this plot point was resolved. Was this actually the case or did I fever dream this?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Tei posted:

Soon we will have "Pretty Women 2: My wife was a whore" and "Gladiator 2: Why I am even alive" and "Bee Movie 2: Ghostbusters".

I'd watch all of those.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a question. I vaguely remember reading in a magazine before New Vegas came out that the plot was going to be about a large cache of energy weapons and the fights between the factions for control of it, and that it would be mostly ballistic until this plot point was resolved. Was this actually the case or did I fever dream this?

No clue but in Vegas Energy Weapons are harder to come by because the Silver Rush holds a monopoly on them and the Brotherhood attacks anyone they see carrying them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

This is a weird tweet. I'd almost say purposefully misleading.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

There was the whole thing with everyone fighting over that power plant that was secretly a space laser weapon.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Vinylshadow posted:

So there are human NPCs, but they're conveniently out of reach or dead by the time you meet them

Well, if others players could reach them, they would probably be dead before you meet them.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Moose-Alini posted:

There was the whole thing with everyone fighting over that power plant that was secretly a space laser weapon.

With the exception of Elijah, without realizing what it really is.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Moose-Alini posted:

Nah this was actually part of the main plot that the Courier took part in. It was in like an EGM preview or something. It's entirely possible I'm misremembering it

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
oh, you hired me to fix the powerplant? Whoops i sent all the power to freeside and broke the controls :smug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Clawtopsy posted:

oh, you hired me to fix the powerplant? Whoops i sent all the power to freeside and broke the controls :smug:

Eh, they can blame it on Mr Fantastic's theoretical degree.

Besides, giving the power to everyone is smarter because I don't trust NCR. Brownouts are an issue but it's a contingency measure for the local region if Hoover Dam gets overrun.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 19, 2018

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what, exactly, is the F76 gameplay?

all I've gathered so far is that you scavenge parts to build camps and occasionally shoot or nuke other players on small (<10) player servers?

what is the point? are they trying to do ultima online without the massively multiplayer and persistent world part? fortnite without the dedicated game round parts? a multiplayer RPG without the npcs or story?

are the graphics any better than FO4?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

pmchem posted:

all I've gathered so far is that you scavenge parts to build camps and occasionally shoot or nuke other players on small (<10) player servers?

what is the point? are they trying to do ultima online without the massively multiplayer and persistent world part? fortnite without the dedicated game round parts? a multiplayer RPG without the npcs or story?

Load FO4.exe. Run a script to kill all NPCs that have dialogue. Now add a Nexus mod for janky multiplayer. Voila, FO76! (Original idea for FO76 demo CD, please don't steal)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

WebDO posted:

Load FO4.exe. Run a script to kill all NPCs that have dialogue. Now add a Nexus mod for janky multiplayer. Voila, FO76! (Original idea for FO76 demo CD, please don't steal)

if this is for real the best analogy I'm not touching the game in a million years, but surely, they must have put a lot of dev hours into the game, what did they do?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I’d probably gently caress around a bit for $30 but full priced is crazy.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

pmchem posted:

surely, they must have put a lot of dev hours into the game

They almost certainly did not

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

pmchem posted:

Modern fallout gameplay with base building, survival mechanics, and MP. There is a story and non-human npcs. Add in event quests and boss monsters like destiny.

The graphics are a maybe better than F4. Some parts look better others seem worse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

pmchem posted:

if this is for real the best analogy I'm not touching the game in a million years, but surely, they must have put a lot of dev hours into the game, what did they do?

SPECIAL overhaul, and what seems like a whole bunch of new assets.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
there is also at least one (1) dedicated PvP rounds thing, there's a radio station you can tune into that puts you in a "everybody has to randomly assassinate one other person hearing this" gimmick

I'm not optimistic but the game does have some things going on besides "run around and scrap things"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Eiba posted:

Perhaps Maxon knew someone based in West Virginia, and they respected him and had authority over others.

Maybe Maxon was in communication with a non-military group and rewarded them with codes to a military cache when they proved themselves worthy.

Maybe some people like the Brotherhood of Steel aesthetic*, and this is a good faith effort to cater to those kinds of fans. Some people just want to dress up in familiar outfits and run around the wasteland. That doesn't seem like a huge deal.

If you're not champing at the bit to find something to hate this is the most insignificant thing for a really benign end that will make some people who like familiar things happy. The crime you're railing against of shoehorning everything in for recognition was committed all the way back in Fallout 3 in a way more overt and impactful way. It's been 10 years. It might be worth getting over eventually.

*Personally, I am not one of those people. Brotherhood of Steel is lame. But getting bent out of shape at perceived slights against continuity is lamer.

Nah, Bethesda should be destroyed because they suck at RPGs.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

pmchem posted:

Well,

No NPC's, so you will get all the quest from prerecorded records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z74qX566G3Y&t=199s

I believe all the artist are colorblind. Not normal people with healty eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCQE1U2EQ_4

Is taking inspiration from games like wow and abandoning the fallout roots in some key elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOUoE8tw6wQ

I am going to buy it, but seems a budget product they are making to finance other developments.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lunatic Sledge posted:

there is also at least one (1) dedicated PvP rounds thing, there's a radio station you can tune into that puts you in a "everybody has to randomly assassinate one other person hearing this" gimmick
"all newbies tune to station 140.KILL ME"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

pmchem posted:

they have up to a dozen emotes that are an animated pip boy

so if you love the pip boy and his ne'er-do-well impishness, it has a lot to explore

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Moose-Alini posted:

I’d probably gently caress around a bit for $30 but full priced is crazy.
Honestly this is a big part of where my disappointment with FO:76 originates. Everything I've seen so far has has basically re-affirmed my initial impression that this was just a half-assed cash grab built around Fallout 4 multiplayer that Bethesda decided to rebrand as a full game.

I don't hate the game really, I hate that Bethesda is treating it like a full $60 dollar game with exclusive pre-orders and a closed beta and poo poo, and not marketing it as the $15 or $20 dollar "hey here's Fallout 4 multiplayer edition" game it really is.

Me laughing at the multitude of bugs is both a comedy bonus and further confirmation of Bethesda's half-assing. If they'd been serious about making this game playable and less glitchy than usual then the beta would have started back in like July or August, rather than "hey there's a beta two weeks before launch, and only if you give us your money sight-unseen pre-ordered the game".

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I think maybe I feel more inclined to pay for 76 because I didn't dish out the full sixty for Fallout 4

like, I redboxed 4, and watching 76 footage I'm like "ehhh it looks about the same but multiplayer," but if I had paid full price for 4 I wouldn't even be humoring the beta of 76

people are treating "go find the old overseer, maybe some poo poo happens after that" as being zero story, but I felt that way about "go find your son, maybe some poo poo happens along the way" too

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I think maybe I feel more inclined to pay for 76 because I didn't dish out the full sixty for Fallout 4

like, I redboxed 4, and watching 76 footage I'm like "ehhh it looks about the same but multiplayer," but if I had paid full price for 4 I wouldn't even be humoring the beta of 76

people are treating "go find the old overseer, maybe some poo poo happens after that" as being zero story, but I felt that way about "go find your son, maybe some poo poo happens along the way" too
tbqh if you just want to throw more money at zenimax you can just buy more copies of fallout 4 (or doom, or wolfenstein) and give to friends

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

how long did you keep it? seems like a poor sort of game to rent.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Rinkles posted:

how long did you keep it? seems like a poor sort of game to rent.

my job situation at the time was what one might call shaky, so I got like a week straight of gameplay out of it

I was ridiculously into it at first, but my wait for FO4 to really take off and reach that potential I was seeing never really got there

and I steadily realized that perks didn't affect the story / options like they used to

and that base building wasn't as cool as I thought it was going to be

and that there were way, way more places without stories to them than I remembered in New Vegas

and that the replicant stuff wasn't going to go anywhere as shocking as I imagined

most of the companions sucked

...and then radial quests

with everything streamlined and standardized like it was, I felt like Fallout 4 should have had multiplayer in the first place. Now I'm getting what pretty much looks like Fallout 4 to me (but with multiplayer), so... meh. Also the more I think about it, the more I suspect most of my favorite NPCs in Fallout 4 were robots anyway, so while I still don't feel like 76 is going to be good, I think I might at least find it fun.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Lunatic Sledge posted:

my job situation at the time was what one might call shaky, so I got like a week straight of gameplay out of it

I was ridiculously into it at first, but my wait for FO4 to really take off and reach that potential I was seeing never really got there

and I steadily realized that perks didn't affect the story / options like they used to

and that base building wasn't as cool as I thought it was going to be

and that there were way, way more places without stories to them than I remembered in New Vegas

and that the replicant stuff wasn't going to go anywhere as shocking as I imagined

most of the companions sucked

...and then radial quests

with everything streamlined and standardized like it was, I felt like Fallout 4 should have had multiplayer in the first place. Now I'm getting what pretty much looks like Fallout 4 to me (but with multiplayer), so... meh. Also the more I think about it, the more I suspect most of my favorite NPCs in Fallout 4 were robots anyway, so while I still don't feel like 76 is going to be good, I think I might at least find it fun.

KL-E-0 is by far the best NPC in FO4. I wish you could interact with her more than you do.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You can have her as a companion if you make a robot and assign it the Assaultron voice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Eiba posted:

Perhaps Maxon knew someone based in West Virginia, and they respected him and had authority over others.

Maybe Maxon was in communication with a non-military group and rewarded them with codes to a military cache when they proved themselves worthy.

Maybe some people like the Brotherhood of Steel aesthetic*, and this is a good faith effort to cater to those kinds of fans. Some people just want to dress up in familiar outfits and run around the wasteland. That doesn't seem like a huge deal.

If you're not champing at the bit to find something to hate this is the most insignificant thing for a really benign end that will make some people who like familiar things happy. The crime you're railing against of shoehorning everything in for recognition was committed all the way back in Fallout 3 in a way more overt and impactful way. It's been 10 years. It might be worth getting over eventually.

*Personally, I am not one of those people. Brotherhood of Steel is lame. But getting bent out of shape at perceived slights against continuity is lamer.

It's also a huge loving missed chance to bring in something Cool and Good and New instead of shoehorning the BoS in again in a way that requires a full-on break with their backstory. It's lazy as hell, which is one of Bethesda's besetting sins.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Could have just as easily been some army holdouts who decided to go full on police state fascists. And don't say Enclave because they're specifically 1%ers and the government out to kill all the poors. The regular us military means nothing to the Enclave.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

Oh gently caress! Who could have ever foresaw that allowing a random vagabond with no credentials to have total control over our highly important military project could possibly backfire!? :saddowns:

Tei posted:

I am over-exposed to vault boy, to a point I am starting to despite him.

Heres the handsome face of Mr. House.

....MotherFUCKER!

House is doing the Dreamworks eyebrow. I can't believe I never noticed it before.

That smug son of a bitch.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Less the 'Pixar Eyebrow' and more just being Vincent Price.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

My God this goes all the way to the top.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr House is Howard Hughes? i tought everyone knows that?

Also with RDR2, RE2 and hell even Thronebreaker Bethesda really doesnt have a excuse anymore. Janky games with so so stories arent going to cut it anymore