Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Are there end of the calendar year deals usually? Sorry, I haven't bought a new car since 2002, but a red light runner crushed my 16 year old explorer. :ohdear:

Some places sure. But your best bet for a deal right now is hunting for a 2018 model. All the 2019's are hitting lots and most manufacturers want to move 2018s.

I picked up my 2018 Explorer Sport for 42k...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Ok, thanks. I was noticing lots of cash back deals for this month, but didn't know if I should wait for end of calendar year versus model year.

And I'm looking at Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have a 17 explorer from work and my giant legs don't fit right in it. Took my time at the Orange County auto show and discovered I didn't like the 4 runner either. Honda pilot is out as my douche of a BIL has one. Looked at, sat in, and drove all kinds of vehicles and kept coming back to the GC even though I went there specifically to eliminate it from consideration due to their reliability.

So part of my cost calc is the extended total warranty a FCA product will require as it shits parts down the highway.

But before anyone yells at me about FCA, I am financially secure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grand Cherokees are very nice to drive imho.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I am financially secure.

I would also look at a VW Atlas.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
There's a lot by me that still has a 2017 on the lot as a "new" car. How much can I attempt to leverage the old rear end badge and depreciation in offering for the vehicle?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Ok, thanks. I was noticing lots of cash back deals for this month, but didn't know if I should wait for end of calendar year versus model year.

And I'm looking at Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have a 17 explorer from work and my giant legs don't fit right in it. Took my time at the Orange County auto show and discovered I didn't like the 4 runner either. Honda pilot is out as my douche of a BIL has one. Looked at, sat in, and drove all kinds of vehicles and kept coming back to the GC even though I went there specifically to eliminate it from consideration due to their reliability.

So part of my cost calc is the extended total warranty a FCA product will require as it shits parts down the highway.

But before anyone yells at me about FCA, I am financially secure.

Huh? The Explorer has almost 3" more leg room than the Grand Cherokee does. 42.9" vs. 40.3"

In fact in its class the Grand Cherokee has less leg room than any other SUV.

And yeah, the reliability of the Grand Cherokee is horrible, as in near the bottom of the list. Every year.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

There's a lot by me that still has a 2017 on the lot as a "new" car. How much can I attempt to leverage the old rear end badge and depreciation in offering for the vehicle?

Its still a new car so no real depreciation other than the fact its a 2017. Yeah you will get a discount, but not a huge one.

Keep in mind, if the car has EVER been registered, it is used. Be careful that its not a demonstrator. They can put thousands of miles on them as a demo and still sell them as new.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I wouldnt buy it no matter the discount unless its seriously 40% + off msrp. Its been sitting unused for 18+ months. Thats terrible.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

EvilMerlin posted:

Huh? The Explorer has almost 3" more leg room than the Grand Cherokee does. 42.9" vs. 40.3"

In fact in its class the Grand Cherokee has less leg room than any other SUV.

And yeah, the reliability of the Grand Cherokee is horrible, as in near the bottom of the list. Every year.

I don't know, maybe it's the way I sit versus the way the console is laid out. Maybe I manspread all over the place with the seat pushed way back.

I've owned a 96 & 03 explorer and have a 17 explorer from work I drive for my current 90 minute one way commute, so I would normally have zero problems with getting another explorer. I work for the government and we have a whole fleet of domestic sedans and SUV's I drive and try out too like chargers, acadias, Tahoe, suburban, Malibu, impala, etc.

Tahoe is my favorite, but it's too big for my needs.

I really wanted to like the 4runner but I was not impressed. I may test drive it one more time because I concur on the lovely reliability being a major issue.

Sorry, I knew I'd be Zaurging it up in here when I Kramered into the thread screaming "Jerry, I'm buying a Jeep!"

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Why compare the 4Runner to an Explorer, though? Try a Highlander.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

DNK posted:

Will do, appreciate the efforts to set me straight. Maybe it's my midlife crisis.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DNK posted:

I'd imagine that'd be expensive as their can only be one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Something Offal posted:

If by weenie you're referring to power, the '18 Accord Sport 2.0t has 252HP, it's very competent. If you want something cooler you'll have to look at Mazda or increase your budget, I really like the Audi A4, you may also want to look at a BMW 328i
or Mercedes C class but all of those will run up the MSRP real quick.

OK, I'll check these out, and the Charger and the Mazda 6. I really don't know anything about cars, I just like sedans and don't want something that sucks or is lame.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

OK, I'll check these out, and the Charger and the Mazda 6. I really don't know anything about cars, I just like sedans and don't want something that sucks or is lame.

I mean this in the nicest possible way you're the poster child for Audi probably

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not going to say Audis are completely without merit but "looking interesting and not boring" really isn't one of them.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I guess I know I'm old and boring now that I think the understated, straight-forward ("boring") design of VW and Audi looks infinitely better than the "futuristic" messes coming out of Japan. Especially 10 years from now (if they make it that long lol VAG am I rite).

Lexus and Infiniti are the worst offenders of "that ain't gonna age well" design, but it's pretty rampant right now in general. For a long-lived asset give me "boring" over "trendy technoblob" any day.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

I guess I know I'm old and boring now that I think the understated, straight-forward ("boring") design of VW and Audi looks infinitely better than the "futuristic" messes coming out of Japan. Especially 10 years from now (if they make it that long lol VAG am I rite).

Lexus and Infiniti are the worst offenders of "that ain't gonna age well" design, but it's pretty rampant right now in general. For a long-lived asset give me "boring" over "trendy technoblob" any day.

The charger is always going to look exactly as trashy as it did the day you bought it though

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

shovelbum posted:

The charger is always going to look exactly as trashy as it did the day you bought it though

Well yeah, that's the whole appeal to Charger buyers

"This car really gets me!"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The General Lee was ther best looking Charger ever, save for the battle flag of the army of Northern Virginia adorning its top. All other Chargers since pale in comparison. :colbert:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

EvilMerlin posted:

Some places sure. But your best bet for a deal right now is hunting for a 2018 model. All the 2019's are hitting lots and most manufacturers want to move 2018s.

I picked up my 2018 Explorer Sport for 42k...

I took you for more of a VW guy :mmmsmug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Does Audi make sedans? What kind?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

Does Audi make sedans? What kind?

Yes, they all look the same so just decide if you want a big one or a little one.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Pick you can have so much horsepower cheap in a charger

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Pick you can have so much horsepower cheap in a charger

You can also be an E1 with a 20% interest note!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You can also be an E1 with a 20% interest note!

Hell yeah live the patriotic dream

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I have a bunch of dumb jumbled car ideas I need to talk through so please help me fellow goons.

Proposed Budget: Up to 55ish-k
New or Used: No older than 2015/6
Body Style: 2 or 4 door
How will you be using the car?:
I currently have a '17 WRX and it's been fine and it's not a bad car. It's currently stock save for an air/oil separator for longevity sake. The car is a daily driver + frequent autocross and occasional track day car. I live in Florida so don't have to worry about snow, just rain.

What aspects are most important to you?:
Visibility (like not having huge blindspots), reliability, fun, manual transmission, not too expensive consumables, somewhat usable for other tasks like going to Costco.

So I currently have a '17 WRX and it's not terrible but it also frightens me at all times because I read forums and constantly read things breaking on other peoples WRX's. Since it's stock it hasn't been too bad but I sometimes feel like it's not the most competitive car in it's class in autocross and frankly I sometimes get bored.
Cars I've been considering are C7 Grand Sport, Lotus Evora, maybe Civic Type R? I want the impossible car in my price range which is a car that is both a decent daily and a good sports car. I would prefer to keep my options to either a Japanese car or Chevy/Ford so no Porsche's.
My brain and heart are split between keeping my car and beginning to modify it which would take me out of my autocross class where money becomes a limiting factor and possibly sacrificing daily-ability and reliability or selling while resale value is good and not too far in on my loan and buying a car which should be better.

Long story short is, keep the car and mod it which is the smarter financial move or switch and possibly end up in the same boat down the road again?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what do you actually want

like ignore the specifics of what cars may or may not meet those needs, and just think about what you want. i think you are correct when you think that you are going to end up in the same boat down the road because i don't think you've clearly defined what you want and how important different factors are for you

to help you out maybe ask yourself these questions and maybe come up with some more too
1. would you keep your WRX if you did not have the reliability questions?
2. do you prefer to mod cars or keep them stock?
3. how many days do you plan to autox?
4. do you care about what class you are in autox? would you prefer to be in a different class?
5. how many track days do you plan to do? what track do you plan to do them at?
6. how often are you using the rear seats/doors/usable trunk of the WRX? if you didn't have these features on your car what would you do instead?

etc

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

to help you out maybe ask yourself these questions and maybe come up with some more too
1. would you keep your WRX if you did not have the reliability questions?
2. do you prefer to mod cars or keep them stock?
3. how many days do you plan to autox?
4. do you care about what class you are in autox? would you prefer to be in a different class?
5. how many track days do you plan to do? what track do you plan to do them at?
6. how often are you using the rear seats/doors/usable trunk of the WRX? if you didn't have these features on your car what would you do instead?

etc

You have a point in getting into more specifics and thinking about it with these questions I may be more inclined to keep it.
1. If it didn't have reliability questions I'd probably keep it.
2. I tend to prefer to keep cars stock especially since it's still under warranty and will help maintenance down the road.
3. I autocross about once a month, sometimes twice so a total of maybe around 20 days total a year.
4. I tend to care about the class since other classes become a battle of who has spent more money on their car. Even in the stock class it's a bit of a money battle with setups, tires, wheels, etc.
5. I track the car less often so maybe 3 to 6 times a year I want to say.
6. I use the rear seats semi-often, mostly when taking friends around but otherwise not much and the trunk when doing some grocery shopping. This one is more difficult to quantify but kind of often I guess? If I didn't have rear seats I'd have to do more of the friend and shopping things in *Borat Voice* my wife's car.

Thinking about it rationally I don't use the car for motorsport things all that often so financially it makes sense to stick with it and put just put some money into an extra set of wheels and tires, etc. But my heart wants a new fast cool car but I think that's going to be the case no matter what so maybe I just need to find space or get in on a racecar with someone else.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah, it's always good to separate your toy cars from your daily if you have space

poo poo like spec miata is not that terrible on the wallet if you want to get in to wheel to wheel

i think you need to decide what you want to get out of motorsport as well

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Buy one of those weird AX niche cars and then have a reliable daily.
Do RX-8s still own the gently caress out of whatever stock class they're in? (The RX-8 is a loving excellent track car too and while not the most reliable street cars, is a reliable track car because it has so much stock cooling and thought put into everything). You can get an 05 for like $12 and some chips. And/or an NA miata.

Then have like a mazda 3 or a civic or something.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah, it's always good to separate your toy cars from your daily if you have space

poo poo like spec miata is not that terrible on the wallet if you want to get in to wheel to wheel

i think you need to decide what you want to get out of motorsport as well

The lack of space is the problem.

Ultimately I know that my motorsport participation will pretty much just be mostly autocross and track days since anything else would require a racing license. I'd like to be competitive in autocross and ok on track which is asking a lot and more often than not the problem is between the seat and wheel.

An RX-8 toy isn't a bad idea though...

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Proposed Budget: 15k
New or Used: Used
How will you be using the car?: Long commute primarily. About 400 miles a week.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and MPG

Trying to find a new car for my wife. Her commute recently became quite long and her current car isn’t agreeing with the change. I’ve only bought one car in my life and still use it 12 years later, so really don’t know what would be best. We live in Virginia so being able to handle weather is a slight concern for me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For a commute that long I would put a premium on comfort, so really you're going to want to try and do extended test drives of anything you consider.

Any car that doesn't sacrifice operating expenses for AWD and ground clearance is going to handle inclement weather just as well as any other. If the roads in question are always reliably plowed, anything that isn't excessively low will be fine on winter tires.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Malt posted:

Proposed Budget: 15k
New or Used: Used
How will you be using the car?: Long commute primarily. About 400 miles a week.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and MPG

Trying to find a new car for my wife. Her commute recently became quite long and her current car isn’t agreeing with the change. I’ve only bought one car in my life and still use it 12 years later, so really don’t know what would be best. We live in Virginia so being able to handle weather is a slight concern for me.

What state are you guys in and what size of car does she prefer?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

zapplez posted:

What state are you guys in and what size of car does she prefer?

Virginia. She wants something smaller I think. She linked me some of the cars she was looking at, Honda Fit, Mini Copper, and a Chevy Spark all of which seemed on the smaller end.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you care about operating costs at any level, get the Mini off the list.

Also I don't think I'd want to do 400 miles a week in any of those honestly. A Civic would probably be more comfortable than the Fit, and an Accord probably more comfortable than the Civic.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Malt posted:

Virginia. She wants something smaller I think. She linked me some of the cars she was looking at, Honda Fit, Mini Copper, and a Chevy Spark all of which seemed on the smaller end.

The mini is very very expensive to maintain and fix {think BMW parts). The chev spark is nearly one of the worst of its class as well.

My recommendation is to get a compact car over a subcompact like the Fit, assuming she is as comfortable driving this size. It will keep its utility for longer and be much more comfortable if you do have passengers in the vehicle. Also its not that much more money. Anyways, here are cars I'd consider if I was in your shoes, all of them are reliable and well rated choices.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/751078493/overview/
2016 Civic

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/749929966/overview/
2015 Corolla

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/751434401/overview/
2017 Elantra

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throw in the standard Mazda3 recommendation as well.

The Chevrolet Cruze is very cheap and has some normal American car virtues - a bit of a softer ride at the expense of some handling. I actually think it's very decent. I would buy that over a Spark, for instance.

She's doing say 40 miles each way. Is this NoVA heavy traffic commuting or mostly highway straight shot stuff? A 40 mile 45 minute commute in a Fit or something like that won't be too awful. A 40 mile 90 minute commute would not be so nice.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
She is doing a straight shot down to Richmond thankfully.

I think you all have talked her out of a subcompact. It’s what she always has driven so it’s what she feels comfortable with. She also assumed the MPG would be higher, but that isn’t the case. Thanks all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I did 400 miles/week in a Fit, but it’s kinda rough because there’s so little power available in top gear at cruising speed that you constantly have to downshift to increase speed even a little. Civics with the turbo engine are much better in that regard. Also, crosswinds are a bitch.