Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Good lord, Lobsterboy, you continue to be an inspiration to us all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
M-M-M-MEGAPOST

Just got back from a trip to the east coast- my wife and I are known for taking these odd kind of exploratory vacations, pick a destination and find everything old we can, this time it was new england - the trip had a purpose, my wife had some business to attend to in rhode island so, we made a week long adventure out of it.

Modern diner - one of the many diners we visited - this was made by the sterling dining car co and placed in 1941 i believe - mostly original

Al Mac's in Fall River MA - this is like the ultimate aluminum diner, the area is very depressed, but the diner remains a very prominent part of the community and the food was mind blowing - the picture with the old cars has been on the cover of just about every "diner" coffee table book for the last 2-3 decades

I expierence my first clam cake at Rocky Point which is in Warwick RI - this stand is wacky as hell, they have a bunch of coin operated kiddie rides and cheeseball concrete statues of animals in the front - from what I gathered from the workers poor communication skills, this stand used to be part of an amusement park that closed some time in the 70s

we also drove past the famous Rosebud, which was not open when we were there

and finally there was the ultimate NE tiki chinese food palace Kowloon - opened in the 50s, its remained a larger than life chinese food place - In stark contrast to the west coast tiki places im familiar with, that focus on polynesian fare, this was a straight up greazy chinese food place on steroids

I have a few more pics of this place, but imgur's being a bitch right now

Now, having connections in the car world is very helpful - a good friend clued me to a few car related things we had to hit including the hot rod fallout which is new englands best hot rod and custom show.

It was a really great show and people were beyond friendly - as soon as they found out we were from LA the flood gate of questions opened wide up - made plenty of new friends

We were also clued in that we were there on the last day of the indy car exhibit at the heritage museum & garden in Sandwich MA:

Antique stores are also out of control there..

theres more... a few things may or may not have followed me home..

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Nice dude, I was at the fallout as well, had some electrical problems but ended up getting there around noon. Satin black 48 Pontiac on torque thrusts, I was parked in the back corner by the hill. That show rules.
E-

always be closing fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 12, 2018

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Did you buy the front end of what looks like a DC-3?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Wait, those diners are famous? I’ve eaten at all of them.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Holy poo poo, you went to Kowloon. Took me about 15 years from the first time I drove past until I walked through the doors. I was expecting more Easter Island head drinks and less black marble and mirrors.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

always be closing posted:

Nice dude, I was at the fallout as well, had some electrical problems but ended up getting there around noon. Satin black 48 Pontiac on torque thrusts, I was parked in the back corner by the hill. That show rules.
E-

That's awesome! great car too, its like a cooler fleetline! that show was so different for me, my first east coast show.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Did you buy the front end of what looks like a DC-3?

trying to hash a deal - and yes it is the cockpit of a DC-3

beep-beep car is go posted:

Wait, those diners are famous? I’ve eaten at all of them.

Not famous, just interesting to me - I was trying to collect as many photos of diners as I could.. The only one remotely famous to me is Al Mac's because that image is in every 80's 50's diner book, cheesy light up wall art, and roadside attraction book.

ought ten posted:

Holy poo poo, you went to Kowloon. Took me about 15 years from the first time I drove past until I walked through the doors. I was expecting more Easter Island head drinks and less black marble and mirrors.

This is what gets me - tiki bars and restaurants here on the west coast are all Polynesian themed - a friend that lives in NE basically told me that there is none of that kind of thing there, they are all Chinese restaurants - but oddly enough, back in the 40s and 50s, the roles were reversed, west coast places served chinese food and east coast places were polynesian

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
You were like 10 minutes from me on the Cape. Heritage Gardens is a really nice spot.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

LobsterboyX posted:

:psyduck:

THAT'S SO COOL

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

LobsterboyX posted:

Um

What's shipping like on that from the east coast to LA?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ishikabibble posted:

Um

What's shipping like on that from the east coast to LA?

Same as a car probably 1500-1800 - it also fits in HS container and taller semi trailer - its getting a crane to crane it in to my back yard that's the hard part

This particular one was brought to the east coast from Venezuela by boat for a cost of 3000 - the owner has 2 of them, the other one is sticking out of the back of his home in to his back yard. This plane last flew in 2010. He is currently restoring the other one with correct gauges and interior

I can probably find one locally for cheaper.

this one belongs to a friend here in LA - he bought it from someones back yard in south central:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ok, if you manage to get that thing and I manage to get my car swapped and driven to Santa Monica, I'm gonna come by your place and sit in it and make airplane noises. DC-3s own.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ok, if you manage to get that thing and I manage to get my car swapped and driven to Santa Monica, I'm gonna come by your place and sit in it and make airplane noises. DC-3s own.

my obsession with the plane runs very deep - my grandfather started work at douglas in 1937 and was forced in to retirement in the mid 70s. He started as a machinst and worked his way to handling government contracts. at the time of his retirement he had a nationally recognized top secret clearance. During the war he oversaw line of the C47, Dauntless and Havoc- post war he continued with the DC3. After that he was known for his work with the X3 and Thor ICBM program.

He will always be my hero and a big part of why I am the way I am.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with a plane cockpit in your backyard? Other than sit in it and make plane noises of course!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

LobsterboyX posted:

my obsession with the plane runs very deep - my grandfather started work at douglas in 1937 and was forced in to retirement in the mid 70s. He started as a machinst and worked his way to handling government contracts. at the time of his retirement he had a nationally recognized top secret clearance. During the war he oversaw line of the C47, Dauntless and Havoc- post war he continued with the DC3. After that he was known for his work with the X3 and Thor ICBM program.

He will always be my hero and a big part of why I am the way I am.

Very very cool, man. There's something kind of timeless about the DC3/C47. I've always been a fan.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Grakkus posted:

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with a plane cockpit in your backyard? Other than sit in it and make plane noises of course!

Eccentricity has taken me pretty far in life, when I'm gone I want someone to say "this loving guy had a god drat airplane cockpit in his back yard" outloud - as ive said aloud about the strange things ive seen in peoples collections.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

Run power to it and it'd make a decent home office.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Grakkus posted:

Push the limits of what the HOA allows for a "shed" :v:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I have that same L. Coes wrench. It's surprisingly useful for everything but wrenching (though I'm sure it would be great at that too, I just haven't encountered a bolt big enough to use it on since I got it, would've been perfect for the 1-1/8" transfer case fill plug on my Jeep back in the day). It's served as an ersatz hammer (that's why the back is mushroomed, it's been used as a hammer for 100 years), sheetmetal bending brake, and C-clamp when I'm one short on actual clamps (which is every time, that's the nature of clamps -- just like every rope is six inches too short, you always need one more clamp.)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I skipped over this at first thinking of "salt" in the midwestern "death of everything cool made of metal" way for some reason. Holy cow I haven't been more glad to be wrong in a great while.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
DC-3s and B-52s will be flying long after we all die

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
All Lobsterboy threads own. Making a salt racer is extra fantastic.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Charles posted:

The Grand-kids of pilots of the B-52 are already flying their grandfather's plane.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

LobsterboyX posted:

Eccentricity has taken me pretty far in life, when I'm gone I want someone to say "this loving guy had a god drat airplane cockpit in his back yard" outloud - as ive said aloud about the strange things ive seen in peoples collections.

Truth. Normal can suck a big ol bag o dicks

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Truth. Normal can suck a big ol bag o dicks

truth! I don't get a long with most people I work with because they are clueless as to why I do the things I do!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

I have that same L. Coes wrench. It's surprisingly useful for everything but wrenching (though I'm sure it would be great at that too, I just haven't encountered a bolt big enough to use it on since I got it, would've been perfect for the 1-1/8" transfer case fill plug on my Jeep back in the day). It's served as an ersatz hammer (that's why the back is mushroomed, it's been used as a hammer for 100 years), sheetmetal bending brake, and C-clamp when I'm one short on actual clamps (which is every time, that's the nature of clamps -- just like every rope is six inches too short, you always need one more clamp.)

Surprisingly, I thought I was just going to clean this sucker up and put in in the box for that one special day I needed to un-do a big old nut, but I was modifying the seat in my roadster last weekend and it came in perfectly for bending the sheet metal - then beating it in to place. It is a versatile tool.

as a side note:

I have a rather unhealthy obsession with Kennedy tool boxes - for those that don't know, Kennedy is still in business and specializes in tool boxes for machinists (Ex. Lots and lots of drawers) They have been in business since 1911 and make a killer product - they are known for their beautiful felt lined drawers, krinkle finish and silky smooth drawer action.

here's a small part of my collection

So while I was in New England I came across this beauty at the same sale where I got the wrench:

It's a union steel- machine style box - couldn't pass it up, so I sacked up and had the thing shipped back for more money than I paid for it!

The big wrench now lives inside this box

/sidenote

Charles posted:

According the FAA - the lifespan of the DC3 airframe is "yet to be determined" - meaning yes. they will. I got the chance to fly on one a few years ago, it is a rather uneventful plane to fly in, they are so smooth and awesome! and there's a guy somewhere in the south that will give you your certs on his for "the cost of fuel and a 12 case"

Speaking of airplanes, I installed these BA bomber belts in my roadster - I'm getting it ready for a race in 2 weeks!

in prep for the race, I'm doing some lettering

I learned this tecnique from a dear friend of mine and amazing pinstriper Mad Mike who passed away a few years back - You apply grease pencil to the back of a paper, then trace the outline with a ball point pen and it transfers the design from paper to the body of the car.. like so

just getting in the halloween spirit!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

I have a rather unhealthy obsession with Kennedy tool boxes - for those that don't know, Kennedy is still in business and specializes in tool boxes for machinists (Ex. Lots and lots of drawers) They have been in business since 1911 and make a killer product - they are known for their beautiful felt lined drawers, krinkle finish and silky smooth drawer action.

Are they good? I like how they look, and their layout, but I've been disappointed in the drawer slides every time I try one out. And the metal gauge always feels flexy and inadequate. Lean into a drawer and try to close it, and the slides kinda crunch and stick, rather than the effortless glide I would expect from a high quality USA-made box.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Raluek posted:

Are they good? I like how they look, and their layout, but I've been disappointed in the drawer slides every time I try one out. And the metal gauge always feels flexy and inadequate. Lean into a drawer and try to close it, and the slides kinda crunch and stick, rather than the effortless glide I would expect from a high quality USA-made box.

I mean, they are old as gently caress - the only one I have from after the early 50s is one from the mid to late 60s, the earliest is one from the mid 30s - They are not roller bearing, I usually take the drawers out, clean, brush and re-grease the slides before I even put a single tool in it. I can't speak for the new ones, all of mine (including my grandfathers standard issue box from douglas aircraft) are perfect. The big roll away sections have a lot of weight in the drawers and they still open smooth. The sheet metal is very thick for what they are and vary between what the intended use of the drawers are - the smaller drawers have a smaller gauge metal as they wont be holding a lot of weight, the bigger drawers have thicker gauge - I love them for what they represent, but if you a want roller bearing slide with easy close, powder coated professional mechanic box look elsewhere, I'm not a pro by any strech of the imagination, but I have collected a lot of tools (both vintage and modern) and I can fill these boxes and know where everything is... most of the time - at last count I had over 80 drawers and one big cubby for power tools.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

I'm wondering if this is an era thing, or a lack of maintenance thing. My dad has a Kennedy and I feel the same way about it, but I highly doubt it has ever seen a lick of grease on any drawer slide since it was new (which I would guess to be the mid 70s at oldest).

Of course it's still a drat sight better than my cheap mid 2000s Craftsman shitbox.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Could be due to lack of maintenance, yeah. Most of the ones I've had hands-on experience with have been in surplus stores. However, my uncle was a machinist in the 60s and 70s, and then programmed CNC tools for the rest of his career; he had one too, and IIRC I even had to push the longer drawers closed from both sides; a simple press with a finger on the face of the drawer would just jam it up.

I'll take your word for it that this is not representative of their quality, though; if I get a chance to pick one up for cheap enough, I'll give it a serious consideration. Lobsterboy, I really do respect your opinion on these sorts of things; you have an eye for hidden value.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've used and been around Kennedy toolboxes both newer and older for years. They were the Cadillac of toolchests decades ago, but they don't hold up to modern rails and slides. Sure, they're old-school awesome, and I love the special drawer on lots of them specifically for the Machinery's Handbook, but I'd never spend big money on one now. Even well-lubricated, cleaned, and with an even drawer load, they don't slide like roller-bearings. My HF 44" has far nicer slides, drawer detents, and a paintjob you can actually clean easily. Used, maybe if it was in good shape and inexpensive, but they often fetch high prices due to the nostalgia factor. Hey, I get it, there's a reason that old cars are worth money, and it's not because they're faster or easier to drive or better handling than new cars. You gotta compare things within their era.

Now, Lista/Vidmar? Now we're talkin'. I've got a Lista from the 70's that was used in a Raytheon plant in RI. It's got the old metal rails and pressed-in bearings and rollers, and with a little love, it's almost as nice as the modern Listas that use POM rollers. It doesn't have as nice a detent, and lacks the one-drawer-at-a-time system, but it's big, green, and got a lot of electronics history behind the scratched and faded paint.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I've used and been around Kennedy toolboxes both newer and older for years. They were the Cadillac of toolchests decades ago, but they don't hold up to modern rails and slides. Sure, they're old-school awesome, and I love the special drawer on lots of them specifically for the Machinery's Handbook, but I'd never spend big money on one now. Even well-lubricated, cleaned, and with an even drawer load, they don't slide like roller-bearings. My HF 44" has far nicer slides, drawer detents, and a paintjob you can actually clean easily. Used, maybe if it was in good shape and inexpensive, but they often fetch high prices due to the nostalgia factor. Hey, I get it, there's a reason that old cars are worth money, and it's not because they're faster or easier to drive or better handling than new cars. You gotta compare things within their era.

Now, Lista/Vidmar? Now we're talkin'. I've got a Lista from the 70's that was used in a Raytheon plant in RI. It's got the old metal rails and pressed-in bearings and rollers, and with a little love, it's almost as nice as the modern Listas that use POM rollers. It doesn't have as nice a detent, and lacks the one-drawer-at-a-time system, but it's big, green, and got a lot of electronics history behind the scratched and faded paint.

Exactly! pro they are not and things have come a lonnnng way, but back then they were used by the best of the best. sometimes when looking to buy a kennedy, you find them filled with old precision tools that are completely valualbe to vintage enthusiasts. My dream would be to set up a complete shop with period accurate tools, and do things as they did back then. A full stack "script" kennedy box would probably set you back 600-1000 depending on the seller - like i said, if you are a professional, these are not the boxes for you (although i dont know about the modern ones)

I've heard harbor freight is the ticket these days

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
If you're buying new, look at Homak. Half the price, same quality as Kennedy. (Disclaimer: I got a cantilever box, it's pretty skookum, I assume the ones with drawers are of similar quality.)

Status of rebuilding my tool collection after all my tools got stolen (the local methhead broke into my shed when I was away):

And yes, the shiny thing in the bottom is a framing hammer with an axe head as a counterweight. DIY flipped their poo poo over that when I posted it in the tools thread. It's the old-school version from before they invented claws. I like old things and rarely build houses (I did help build a house once, 29 years ago ... I'm 36.)

Edit: You guys are cool, you get the version reshot with the real camera.

I can tell you what everything is, if you want. (spoiler: the big roll of tape ain't Duck/duct)

Edit: Y'all are all asleep so I'll just go. Starting with the Craftsman socket set on the right and spiraling clockwise downward: Tape measure and axe-sharpening puck; random bolts and fittings to be populated (the brass one is the cap from an A/C filler valve); screwdriver bits, Bic lighter, loupe, and knife with a blade/can opener/marlinspike; epoxy and writing implements. Next shelf, pliers and Crescent wrench, precision srewdriver set; two sets of Stanley/DeWalt Demo Driver screwdrivers (original and spare), scissors with my grandfather's name engraved on then, and the driver for the 1/4" bits up top between the tap and magnifier; Altoid tin full of foam earplug, labeled "EARHOLE PLUGGERS" because AvE; wrenches and Allen keys that came with the socket set. In the well, Gaffer tape with a roll of electrical tape inside, the black line is the case for a Harbor Freight clicky torque wrench, tiny cross-peen both ways hammer, PVC cutter, sockets included in the Craftsman set to provide spares/boost the parts count (it had four 10mm, I'm cool with that), old-school framing hammer/rigger's axe, small ball-pein, ancient L. Coes wrench.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 20, 2018

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

I've always loved reading your threads in the past... I'm pumped to come across another.

I inherited a gerstner tool box that was my grandfathers, he worked at general motors for his entire career. I love it.. I have it as a decor piece in my living room.

I'm lucky enough that for a career I get to do every part of a propeller overhaul or repair on a wide variety of hamilton standards, including the ones that are used on a DC3, the Lancaster, B25, C130, Beaver, Buffalo etc.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Chillbro Baggins posted:

If you're buying new, look at Homak. Half the price, same quality as Kennedy. (Disclaimer: I got a cantilever box, it's pretty skookum, I assume the ones with drawers are of similar quality.)

Status of rebuilding my tool collection after all my tools got stolen (the local methhead broke into my shed when I was away):

L. Coes wrench.

I've heard of the Homak's, I didn't think they had a crinkle finish box... hmmm

I'd make a methhead skin rug out of any gently caress that fucks with my tools.

and I'll be damned that wrench is the same as mine, and in flawless condition.

surivdaoreht posted:

I've always loved reading your threads in the past... I'm pumped to come across another.

I inherited a gerstner tool box that was my grandfathers, he worked at general motors for his entire career. I love it.. I have it as a decor piece in my living room.

I'm lucky enough that for a career I get to do every part of a propeller overhaul or repair on a wide variety of hamilton standards, including the ones that are used on a DC3, the Lancaster, B25, C130, Beaver, Buffalo etc.

Post a pic of that box! - So if you work for Hamilton, you must know of Chet Baker, he's been with the company since ww2 and still consults on the older stuff, he's in his 90s and still spry as hell. Speaking of hamiltons, I traded my 3 big hamilton blades for the tank! - which I cannot find a photo of - they were 7' tall blades, no hub, and they were electric!

This is my grandfathers box - its from the late 30s (because of the squared top) - it has his name written on it and it has a douglas aircraft sticker on it - The pink sticker on the front is a hand written note from my grandmother who did it shortly after my grandfather died "this box and it's contents are property of *me*" - my dumb gently caress cousins came in after that, ripped part of the note off and stole things out of it.

Here's some Hamilton wearing friends....

back when I got to take the 48 out on to the tarmac at burbank airport for a photo will the ill-fated liberty belle

we flew on this one a few years back -

this belongs to Clay Lacy and lives at the Van Nuys airport.

I was looking for photos of the blades and I came across this photo of me shooting a BAR:

Here's another oldie, back when 2 tuckers and I were out drivng...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm just about ten minutes from the site of RPM Nationals, hit me up if you're going to be there!

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

I don't work at HS, I just work on all HS stuff at a prop shop. :)

Stationary cam from a B25

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

I'm just about ten minutes from the site of RPM Nationals, hit me up if you're going to be there!

I'll be there on Friday at some point, shooting to be rolling in there at 2-3 camping at the ranch in my buddys hauler overnight - its been awhile man.. come to the race or just to hang with us

surivdaoreht posted:

I don't work at HS, I just work on all HS stuff at a prop shop. :)

Stationary cam from a B25

dat cam doe - come across those often?

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

One of the rare occasions the customer didn't want the scrap, so I lucked out. So yeah, not really, no. Haha

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So, I thought I'd be slick about it and have my seat reupholstered before the big race this weekend (DJcommie get at me dogg) -

I made this super simple representation of what I wanted, but we went over exact sizes, materials and details there in person.

I literally made this in about 15 seconds, one handed, holding my laptop in the middle of an upholstery shop

he said it was good to go, and promised me they'd be done by Wed night - I'd swing by after work and pick them up

So he texts me "hey man, your seats are done, but we have a problem" then sends me this..

hahah - I mean, its not bad... but its not what I wanted, so he just gave me the seat and told me to run it for the race this weekend, then when I'm back, just bring the car over, he'd do it the right way, and make door/kick panels out of the bad cover..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
That actually looks kinda dope