Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't think there have been any other highly sexual serial killers given a positive make over at least in the TV shows
yeah ill never forget the scene in the show where everyone goes 'boy jack it sure was great when you murdered those hookers' and then everyone put her on their shoulders going 'jack! jack! jack!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It was really weird when characters started asking where Jack was when she wasn't onscreen

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Especially when arturia did it

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

yeah ill never forget the scene in the show where everyone goes 'boy jack it sure was great when you murdered those hookers' and then everyone put her on their shoulders going 'jack! jack! jack!'
Positive is probably the wrong word, but it's still a weirdly sympathetic portrayal with a reactionary motive to the character's actions coded as sympathetic,. This makes it problematic for basically all the same reasons Jason Vorhees is. Where the killer is nominally is villain but their victims are uncomfortably coded as deserving their fate, as is the case when the people Jason kills happens to be doing thing that go against conservative social norms. No one ever cheers Jason but you'd have to be kinda dense to not see the reactionary messaging int the films having him be a narrative punishment for misbehavior.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Could you explain how Jack's victims are 'coded as deserving their fates?' Like, I get what you mean with Jason, I just don't get how that applies to Jack because the framing of the characters is completely different, and also near as I can tell/remember we never see literally anyone Jack killed.

Is it the 'she's made from the souls of aborted/murdered children' thing? Because most of the framing there seems to be on '19th century London was horrible for forcing women to do that and it created this monster,' not 'those individual women got abortions/killed their kids just because'

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's really the 'she's made from the souls of aborted/murdered children' thing. Like stupid character design aside what she does in the present is fine. But her backstory being "is Jack the Ripper" combined with the aborted children thing kinda turns a case of serial murders into a gross karmic punishment.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Endorph posted:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

It's really the 'she's made from the souls of aborted/murdered children' thing. Like stupid character design aside what she does in the present is fine. But her backstory being "is Jack the Ripper" combined with the aborted children thing kinda turns a case of serial murders into a gross karmic punishment.

(she's not actually Jack the Ripper)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
If you want to criticize something more sensible, criticize that they put the little girl in a thong and no pants

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Piell posted:

If you want to criticize something more sensible, criticize that they put the little girl in a thong and no pants

Designed by the same guy as this:

Is it really a surprise?

(Man it's been 7+ years...)

Anyways, I was going through stuff to check how old the design is and came across something much more important: (source 1, source 2):

We've got FGO, it's the perfect place to add silly stuff, make it happen TM.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kyte posted:

(she's not actually Jack the Ripper)
Maybe the real Jack the Ripper was society's callous disregard for the suffering of vulnerable young women and girls

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is that Cardcaptor? Sorry but Beatrice from Umineko is first in line if we are grabbing Casters from other franchises.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Honestly, this jack’s existence is more like Nursery Rhyme than history canon.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 19, 2018

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nate RFB posted:

Is that Cardcaptor? Sorry but Beatrice from Umineko is first in line if we are grabbing Casters from other franchises.

It's Yukika, the track girl that has a crush on Rin.

Cardcaptor Sakura is Jack and Nero.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Theoretically it’s not impossible, they are overdue for a prisma cosmos rerun and if it follows the KnK and Zero pattern it’ll come with a new related four star. It’ll probably just be Miyu, though.

(It should be Kaleido Ruby because we need more Rin)

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Bakanogami posted:

It should be Kaleido Ruby because we need more Rin

You say this while there is no Luvia in game, how dare you.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Luvia recorded lines for FGO recently, and there's always a dead period for reruns to happen on jaunary/february.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Green Tea Erotica posted:

You say this while there is no Luvia in game, how dare you.

As a compromise just add Luvia alongside with more Rin.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Honestly, they should have made Erishkegal be Luvia unless there's some lore reason it couldn't be that I don't know about.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Robviously posted:

Honestly, they should have made Erishkegal be Luvia unless there's some lore reason it couldn't be that I don't know about.

There's a major reason why in the babylonia singularity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Luvia recorded lines for FGO recently, and there's always a dead period for reruns to happen on jaunary/february.
She said she recorded lines, but she didn't specify when she did, and FGO records lines ludicrously far in advance. Sieg's VA recorded lines before the Apocrypha anime had even started airing, and it was like a year before he was in the game. Aoi Yuuki recorded lines for Okita Alter at the same time she recorded lines for Okita, and Okita Alter was added like 2 and a half years after regular Okita. I wouldn't be surprised if they have recorded dialogue for a lot of characters laying around, like Bazett and Caren.

Literally nothing in the text or subtext ever remotely implies murder is a good thing or that the people she killed in the past somehow deserved it, and in fact everyone except Atalante treats her as a horrible murder monster, which she is, and Atalante only treats her that way because of her own issues, and she's fundamentally incapable of understanding what she's doing as murder.

I do not think that the writers of Fate/Apocrypha think whores should be murdered.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Endorph posted:

She said she recorded lines, but she didn't specify when she did, and FGO records lines ludicrously far in advance. Sieg's VA recorded lines before the Apocrypha anime had even started airing, and it was like a year before he was in the game. Aoi Yuuki recorded lines for Okita Alter at the same time she recorded lines for Okita, and Okita Alter was added like 2 and a half years after regular Okita. I wouldn't be surprised if they have recorded dialogue for a lot of characters laying around, like Bazett and Caren.

Didn't Sakura Tange's imdb profile or some other site list one of her roles in FGO as "Mother Harlot" at some point before being taken down? Which means they probably already have lines recorded for a future Nero Alter character.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

Literally nothing in the text or subtext ever remotely implies murder is a good thing or that the people she killed in the past somehow deserved it, and in fact everyone except Atalante treats her as a horrible murder monster, which she is, and Atalante only treats her that way because of her own issues, and she's fundamentally incapable of understanding what she's doing as murder.

I do not think that the writers of Fate/Apocrypha think whores should be murdered.
Yeah I doubt they thought about it much either, given the whole lack of thought they put into most things in the series. They just happened to create a universe in which whores happened to be magically murdered by a magical being made out of aborted and abandoned babies.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I doubt they thought about it much either, given the whole lack of thought they put into most things in the series. They just happened to create a universe in which whores happened to be magically murdered by a magical being made out of aborted and abandoned babies.

So how would you have handled a character inspired by Jack the Ripper considering the impact they have had on cultural history and how little we actually know about it?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

So how would you have handled a character inspired by Jack the Ripper considering the impact they have had on cultural history and how little we actually know about it?

Strange/Fake Jack

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Literally anything besides a character who quite obviously started as "how do we appeal to the pedophiles in the audience".

Plutonis posted:

Strange/Fake Jack
Yeah that

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Apo Jack is really more like the spirit of the Industrial Revolution than whatever weird wraith hellbent on killing whores thing you think she is. And well, the Industrial Revolution definitely chewed up a lot of poor people if nothing else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They just happened to create a universe in which whores happened to be magically murdered by a magical being made out of aborted and abandoned babies.

quote:

However, even they themselves do not know for certain whether or not they were “Jack the Ripper”. After all, they are an amalgamation of evil spirits, so their memories are always vague. What they kill as Assassin is not a specific individual, but rather the society that killed them.

so, uh, no. No. The thing you're saying is factually untrue.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

What?

I'm not sure if you just really misinterpreted what Jack was or if you're trying to get worked up about something, but I genuinely can't figure out how you got this interpretation.

Murder Daughter Jack wasn't an avenging ghost of dead babies or something back when she/they were alive in London. She was a girl who had ??? happen to her parents, and she then went on to cut up prostitutes before dying. The spirits of abandoned children combining together to make the servant of Jack wasn't something that happened until after she died.

Good Girl, Jack.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

so, uh, no. No. The thing you're saying is factually untrue.
Then why call her Jack the Ripper? Why did the author?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Yeah I doubt they thought about it much either, given the whole lack of thought they put into most things in the series.

:ironicat:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dude what the gently caress are you smoking

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

because the servant system is weird and mashes stuff into historical figure-shaped containers

like kojiro isn't kojiro, and I'm sure there are deeper lore pulls of weird servants someone more versed could make

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i mean i think everyone can agree we would not be having this conversation in this way if jack had pants
thats probably not in question

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

given how people get about fapo in general, i wouldn't put money on it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm going to be honest, speaking as a decently big Fate fan nothing Terrible Opinions is saying is really, like, that invalid

like obviously we know the deep lore reasons why Jack is... the way Jack is, but that whole situation is a really loving bad look when you don't know those reasons, and i'm willing to go as far as "even when you do know what's going on in depth it's still kinda :yikes:"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, god drat y'all get pissy when people criticize this franchise.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm going to be honest, speaking as a decently big Fate fan nothing Terrible Opinions is saying is really, like, that invalid

like obviously we know the deep lore reasons why Jack is... the way Jack is, but that whole situation is a really loving bad look when you don't know those reasons, and i'm willing to go as far as "even when you do know what's going on in depth it's still kinda :yikes:"

:ssj:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do you actually interact with Fate stuff past skimming a wiki or something dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also, god drat y'all get pissy when people criticize this franchise.
I don't think disagreeing with someone's criticism means you're being defensive? There's plenty of things I'd criticize about this franchise. This isn't one of them.