Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Taint posted:

That was the best episode of the series thus far.

Yeah I think it might just barely edge out Dance Dance Resolution as my favorite episode of the series. God drat that was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

ARGH this episode was awesome but Hulu has a habit of cutting off the last 5-10 seconds of the episode, what happened after Michael told Janet to say they were in?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wylie posted:

ARGH this episode was awesome but Hulu has a habit of cutting off the last 5-10 seconds of the episode, what happened after Michael told Janet to say they were in?

Larry showed up and asked Tahani if she was ready for their flight.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I might be the only person who notices this, but they named all the people they gave money too. Waomi Natts, Nicole Mankid, Eeeth Kurban, it's as bad/good as the puns. I know Brooklyn 99 does it sometime too, so it must be a Mike Schur show thing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seaborgium posted:

I might be the only person who notices this, but they named all the people they gave money too. Waomi Natts, Nicole Mankid, Eeeth Kurban, it's as bad/good as the puns. I know Brooklyn 99 does it sometime too, so it must be a Mike Schur show thing.

speaking of the puns, turns out this was Megan Amram's episode and also she was playing the chin guitar

https://twitter.com/kvanaren/status/1053099860570841088

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 19, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope "Jeremy Bearimy" supplants "Timey Wimey" as the idiom of choice when expressing confusion about how time travel works.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The dot in the i is Tuesdays and also July but also never.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I'll admit I wasn't the biggest fan of last episode (I genuinely wanted to see the study and how the gang were going to interact this time around without bad place baggage) but this episode completely salvaged this season and I'm so stoked to see what happens next now that everyone is on the same page.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

eke out posted:

need a gif of shirtless chidi swiping spam into his basket

Fun Fact. A guy wandering around a supermarket shirtless is perfectly acceptable here in Australia. I work retail and I see at least a couple a day. So Chidi isn't being weird at all by our standards; and he certainly wouldn't be told he can't be in the store without a shirt. It's also very common for people to not bother wearing shoes.

I'm a little disappointed though that they went to the trouble of using actual Australian currency for the scene in the bar with the wallet but then they couldn't be bothered making at least a small effort to make that supermarket look like it belongs in Australia.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

eke out posted:

Here you go!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

flatluigi posted:

someone get me a screencap of shirtless chidi

How about a gif instead?

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Harrow posted:

So... this all counts for points, right? They all know that none of this can save them from the Bad Place so they’re doing all of this with no expectation of reward.

They're gonna get reverse Unexpected Hanging Paradoxed. By believing they were doomed, and being good anyway, they very clearly count as "Good".

I could also see the series ending with the lot of them being drafted to become the bureaucratic version of angels, as a compromise.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What if this entire show is all actually a prequel to all the movies and tv shows about people who die but are given a second chance to do something good on earth.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This show is always an exercise in writing yourself into a corner and then being a goddamn magician about getting yourself out of it, but this really feels like the final arc.

The logical end to this story as it's been told so far is that The Brainy Bunch does good for the rest of the season despite knowing they'll never get in the good place, a good place representative reading the manifesto, and them being let into the good place. Series over.

But they're going to impress me, as they always do, by doing something else.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The next podcast should just be MEJ going around asking everyone involved with the show how they reacted to Buff Chidi

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm hoping Will is the guest on the next podcast.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

Here you go!

Pan Dulce posted:

How about a gif instead?

:five: :five: :five:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm a little disappointed though that they went to the trouble of using actual Australian currency for the scene in the bar with the wallet but then they couldn't be bothered making at least a small effort to make that supermarket look like it belongs in Australia.

I don't know whether it was actually off-model or something, but I swear our currency looked almost like fake money most of the time it showed up, especially when Jason was handing it out. Randomly-coloured notes with a big number in one corner? Don't be ridiculous.

Also either I've got used to the accents or they were hiring more actual Australians, I'm sure I recognised one or two of them. (fake edit: not who I thought he was but yep)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

eke out posted:

Pan Dulce posted:

Here you go!

Pan Dulce posted:

How about a gif instead?

:five: :five: :five:

:emptyquote:

edit: it's a nice bit of cosmic karma that Chidi gave Michael an existential crisis in season 2 and Michael gives Chidi an existential crisis in season 3. it turns out Karma also moves in a Jeremy Bearimee way.

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 19, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Two things:

1. It occurs to me that Megan Amram is the credited writer on almost all of my favorite episodes of this series so someone get her that goddamn Emmy already.

2. I was a little worried about the series' ratings--it's dipping below last season, which was lower than the first season--but then I took a look at Brooklyn Nine-Nine's ratings, which were something like 1 to 2 million fewer viewers than The Good Place per episode, and remembered that NBC actively picked that show up for more episodes. So I'm pretty confident The Good Place will get as many seasons as it needs.

Really, NBC has a history of being pretty nice to its sitcom lineup. They kept 30 Rock around for a super long time and probably gave Community more second chances than it really warranted towards the end there.

LividLiquid posted:

This show is always an exercise in writing yourself into a corner and then being a goddamn magician about getting yourself out of it, but this really feels like the final arc.

The logical end to this story as it's been told so far is that The Brainy Bunch does good for the rest of the season despite knowing they'll never get in the good place, a good place representative reading the manifesto, and them being let into the good place. Series over.

But they're going to impress me, as they always do, by doing something else.

The last season felt like the final arc, too, with them charging straight into the actual Bad Place to argue their case in front of the Judge.

I can think of at least one way for another arc to come out of this (something having to do with actually trying to disrupt the unjust afterlife system) but I haven't been able to successfully predict anything this show has done yet so I'm not exactly confident I've got it this time, either.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pan Dulce posted:

Here you go!

I didn't notice this until someone else pointed it out, but: his cart is full of almond milk.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What I'm wondering about is that it seems inevitable that at some point we'll go back to the afterlife. But I can't see the show killing them again or showing them live to old age. My guess is there's gonna be cause to infiltrate the afterlife through Michael's door and really start messing things up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

What I'm wondering about is that it seems inevitable that at some point we'll go back to the afterlife. But I can't see the show killing them again or showing them live to old age. My guess is there's gonna be cause to infiltrate the afterlife through Michael's door and really start messing things up.

I think it's either that, or we do get some sort of "the rest of their lives" montage at some point.

But Michael does still have the key, and that manifesto is just sitting there waiting to be discovered by someone, so poo poo could go pretty far off the rails.

Also, side note, but the title of the next episode has me real excited: "The Ballad of Donkey Doug"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Harrow posted:

Also, side note, but the title of the next episode has me real excited: "The Ballad of Donkey Doug"

if the new premise lets us see them go around and try to save the scumbags they used to be friends with it'll be fantastic. at least for the two episodes it lasts before it radically shifts gears again

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

uvar posted:

I don't know whether it was actually off-model or something, but I swear our currency looked almost like fake money most of the time it showed up, especially when Jason was handing it out. Randomly-coloured notes with a big number in one corner? Don't be ridiculous.

Also either I've got used to the accents or they were hiring more actual Australians, I'm sure I recognised one or two of them. (fake edit: not who I thought he was but yep)

The notes we got a close up of from the dude's wallet were real. Those were the ones I was referring to. No idea about the ones Jason was handing out, we never really got a great look at them.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I lost it at Michael's typing, particularly because I just listened to the podcast for episode 113 where MEJ makes fun of Mike Schur for typing with two fingers

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

It’s been said but Chidi is distractingly buff.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

You know it's going to be a good podcast when Megan Amran and D'arcy Carden are the guests because it's guaranteed to go completely off the rails.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Ok so the issue I have with Jeremy Bearimy is that there have been previous references to time in the afterlife.

Chet says Trent left partial decapitations 800 years ago and that they are training for when the Girls Gone Wild dude gets there.

I mean I know the real answer is "don't worry about it" but... yknow.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BlueBayou posted:

Chet says Trent left partial decapitations 800 years ago

Which means it was just a week ago, problem solved

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

Ok so the issue I have with Jeremy Bearimy is that there have been previous references to time in the afterlife.

Chet says Trent left partial decapitations 800 years ago and that they are training for when the Girls Gone Wild dude gets there.

I mean I know the real answer is "don't worry about it" but... yknow.

I don't see the contradiction

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If I'm gonna take this too seriously:

Afterlife beings still seem to perceive a subjective passage of time and it appears that they measure that using Earth time, even when talking to other afterlife beings. Even dead humans still experience time in a linear fashion, even if that's not actually how the timeline of the universe they're in works.

Anyway I'm going to stop myself before I write a treatise on the law of Jeremy Bearimy

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 19, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like the dumb impossible magic stuff they do so I hope the rest of the season isn't just on Earth but I'm glad they're willing to burn the whole thing down every few episodes.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

...unless, of course, that's exactly what Eleanor is going for, and/or the system in charge of the afterlife is really unfair and thinks the manifesto is dumb.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is the rare show where I just don't even want to speculate out loud (or on a forum) all that much, weirdly. It just feels like I'm definitely going to be wrong. It's kinda fun.

I have a few hypotheses about what could happen that a) pays off this plot in a satisfying way and b) propels the show forward rather than ending it (what if Eleanor figured out the loophole and gets everyone else into the Good Place but not herself, and the others voluntarily leave it to save her? What if the system doesn't allow for this loophole but it provides leverage to start a revolution in the afterlife? What if...), but I also know there's basically no way I've thought of even most of the possibilities.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Harrow posted:

So... this all counts for points, right? They all know that none of this can save them from the Bad Place so they’re doing all of this with no expectation of reward.

I'm pretty sure that's how they're gonna play it, yeah. They'll plead their case in front of the judge (again) and there'll be no precedent and she'll be really conflicted and that's how we start off next season.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 19, 2018

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I'll admit that before last night I was really feeling Season 3. It's still the best show on television but I felt like it wasn't quite up to the standards of the first two seasons.

I think last night's episode was as good or better than anything that came before and I can't wait to see where they go from here.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Good Place Season 3 - Chidi’s Chili Babies

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Exodor posted:

I'll admit that before last night I was really feeling Season 3. It's still the best show on television but I felt like it wasn't quite up to the standards of the first two seasons.

I think last night's episode was as good or better than anything that came before and I can't wait to see where they go from here.

They could do "My Name is Earl" for a few episodes where they use Tahani's money to help people they have hosed over before blowing up the status quo and doing something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

eke out posted:

Was that Spam? Haven't seen it in that style of container, figured it was manwich or something