Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

the property tax rate kind of makes up for a state income tax...

could you show your math on this one?

nyc property tax on my prior home, valued at ~2 million, was about a thousand dollars a year

for perspective the tax bill for a house of that sort in the next county over in new york would be about $25k a year. it stacks up pretty fast

joke's on me, though: i was renting and only noticed the property tax figure because my negligent landlord was like five years behind on his taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

both NYC and Seattle are better than the bay area in all ways except raw income potential.

bay area still has better weather

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

a manager i really like is interested in having me switch teams

downside: the job is c++
i and/or the relevant managers botched multiple internal transfers at intel, AMA

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Munkeymon posted:

if you think about it all river cities are coastal

dr drew used to say that the stomach was an external organ for the same reasons but it seems like hogwash to me

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CPColin posted:

Not if the river empties into an endorheic basin!
dont sign yuor posts

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FMguru posted:

dont sign yuor posts

I am very salty about this!

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
so what's the 4th/5th/6th biggest markets these days after the usual bay/nyc/seattle? boston? dfw? chicago?

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 19, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

EnergizerFellow posted:

so what's the 4th/5th/6th biggest markets these days after the usual bay/nyc/seattle? boston? dfw? chicago?

LA austin boston

(you may not want to count the bay as one, unless you like commuting oakland to san jose)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
oh cool so my signing bonus is almost as much as I make in a year, what in the literal gently caress was I doing with my life to not know that this was a thing that actually happens

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jimmy Carter posted:

oh cool so my signing bonus is almost as much as I make in a year, what in the literal gently caress was I doing with my life to not know that this was a thing that actually happens

usually a clawback clause if you quit too soon but otherwise yeah it happens

(don't be like ciaphas, don't stay at places 10 years)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i thought company loyalty was a thing for far far too long, yeah

grats on making the moneys jimmy carter

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The_Franz posted:

"look honey, sure we'll be uprooting our entire family to move into a $4000 a month closet, you are bailing on an 18 year teaching career in the local school system and we will need to shove your ailing mother into a nursing home where we will never see her, but once my stock options vest we might be able to afford a house with a mere 2 hour commute! our 10, 13 and 15 year olds won't mind sharing a futon in the corner for two years, it will be like camping!"

the only reasons i dont move to a non-techhub place is:

- less tech jobs
- lower pay
- red states hate me

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

otherwise i'd move, and probably to higher ground

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jimmy Carter posted:

glad 2 hear you're good enough for signing bonuses

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

milk moosie posted:

the only reasons i dont move to a non-techhub place is:

- less tech jobs
- lower pay
- red states hate me

Also don't count on the jobs you can get at those non tech hubs knowing what they are actually doing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

Also don't count on the jobs you can get at those non tech hubs knowing what they are actually doing

also don't count on any job knowing what they're actually doing

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

bob dobbs is dead posted:

LA austin boston

(you may not want to count the bay as one, unless you like commuting oakland to san jose)

so what's the hottest takes on austin these days? been hearing the market isn't too hot, at least on the IT side, and i35 is somehow getting worse.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

qhat posted:

its only fair, god knows i certainly dont

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
did this thread calm down or are there still too-angries around

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Getting angry about taxes is the best way for the bourgeoisie to brag about their wealth while also sounding indignant about it

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
oh gently caress holy poo poo pissss
another big company is going to give me an offer Monday

I’m really stoked but I’m getting stressed, a week isn’t a lot of time to decide all this stuff, esp. considering i could be relocating to a new city

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

meatpotato posted:

I’m really stoked but I’m getting stressed, a week isn’t a lot of time to decide all this stuff, esp. considering i could be relocating to a new city

Congrats man. I never feel like I have enough time to evaluate a company or an opportunity, considering how little information is obtained from the interview process.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
fuuuuuuck i hate how one day I'm responsible for a dozen things and then weeks later I'm just some bum who doesn't light up all 10 of the keywords a recruiter is looking for

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

meatpotato posted:

pull the trigger. experience new things. get figgies.

congrats.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Diva Cupcake posted:

pull the trigger. experience new things. get figgies.

congrats.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

meatpotato posted:

the choice is simple, the one that pays the most. they literally value your time more than the other.

unless its in some terrible city or somesuch

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

graph posted:

did this thread calm down or are there still too-angries around
mostly it's happy times for folks stacking figgies (or realizing how underpaid they are and are beginning their job search), though there was NBSD's meltdown

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ShadowHawk posted:

though there was NBSD's meltdown

yeah i saw

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

though there was NBSD's meltdown

when is there not an nbsd meltdown, tbh

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
seeking candidates for a new thread title

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"figgie figgie figgie figgie figgie figgie fig"

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
"same poo poo, different pay"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Six months and six figgies later

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

meatpotato posted:

if you don't think a week is enough, you should probably tell people that now

it's ok to need time. they are gonna understand this poo poo is stressful, and it's ok to mention you have other offers. what is important is that you need to set a specific date that you will give them a firm answer

it is always ok to call somebody and say "i can't give you an answer today, but I can give you an answer this coming wednesday"

it is (almost) never ok to call somebody and say "i can't give you an answer on the previously agreed timeline, but i will get back to you, sometime, maybe"

set a specific deadline and either hew to the deadline, or get in contact before the deadline to explain why and how things have changed. prospective employers want to work with you -- they have already said as much by issuing an offer.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PokeJoe posted:

the choice is simple, the one that pays the most. they literally value your time more than the other.

unless its in some terrible city or somesuch

yeah, all things being equal, if you have similar feelings about both companies, the one with the higher offer is probably the better one!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Arcsech posted:

when is there not an nbsd meltdown, tbh

never

come to my house, coward

i will never not be furious and partly melting down

(also wearing fine footwear)

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you don't think a week is enough, you should probably tell people that now

it's ok to need time. they are gonna understand this poo poo is stressful, and it's ok to mention you have other offers. what is important is that you need to set a specific date that you will give them a firm answer

it is always ok to call somebody and say "i can't give you an answer today, but I can give you an answer this coming wednesday"

it is (almost) never ok to call somebody and say "i can't give you an answer on the previously agreed timeline, but i will get back to you, sometime, maybe"

set a specific deadline and either hew to the deadline, or get in contact before the deadline to explain why and how things have changed. prospective employers want to work with you -- they have already said as much by issuing an offer.

i've been pretty transparent with all the recruiters i've been in contact with about the progress of my other interviews because i understand it makes everybody's life easier. despite that, choosing and negotiating an offer is still pretty stressful --this is a significant decision that will shape my life for a while. it's not a bad position to be in, i get that, but the stakes still feel pretty high to get it right.

here's the state of things:

i don't actually hold any official offers yet, just promises for them next week. no official deadlines yet

the recruiter for the first company said the offer they'll give me next week is nominally good for five days, though i can ask for a small extension, which i said i would probably do.

i quickly told the three other companies i'm in the process of interviewing at that about the first company's offer

the day after i told the second company about the first company's offer, they said they wanted to give me an offer next week too. nice.

i haven't told the other companies about this second offer because 1. it's friday and 2. the timeline is approximately the same as the first one still but i guess i should get around to it

the third company knows about my offer from the first company and they're having me do team fit calls. i'm not sure if they have decided to hire me or not.

i'm doing an on-site interview at the fourth company on monday. they said their executive hiring review process means i probably will need to ask to extend my offer from the first company.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
timebomb offers are 100% bullshit. anyone who gives you an offer with a time limit, just ignore the limit. continue to be clear about your timeline. treat’em like other, less arrogant bidders

you have correctly pursued several positions simultaneously. good!

all your offers will land closely enough to apply time pressure to each other

then you can use the highest number to get the best landing site, or vice versa

You’re doing it right! Get paid figgies! Rejoice!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
timebomb offers are stupid games for the young and gullible. recruiting a new dev costs $50-$100k, minimum, between advertising, kickbacks, and interview costs.

why on earth would eating a day, a week, or a month shrink those costs?

today’s offer might be HIGHER after the time bomb blows. at least them they will know you’re not a sucker,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Maybe they have someone else on the line and they don't want to lose their interest either. There's nothing wrong with making the employer wait, but like unless you absolutely are the only one they want, don't be surprised if after a week or so they give up and go with the backup. It's a risk like anything else.