Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Thor is still a redhead no matter how many comics portray him falsely. :colbert:

:colbert::hf::colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Surely once this hole in The Plan is pointed out to him, Redcloak will be happy to negotiate with the heroes, since the quddity reveal is such a major bargaining chip!

:20bux: says that Redcloak's gonna try to pull some half baked murderous scheme to power up TDO for the next cycle.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That specific revelation about the danger to the Dark One's persistence definitely recasts the votes on ending the world, depending on how aware of this the other gods are. If the Dark One's survival was a given, then (aside from the danger of creating a new Snarl through negative interactions with him) it might just be a matter of time/worlds before the gods can eventually bring him in on creating a four-quiddity Snarl prison. Keeps the stakes focused on this world.

It's also a good point that Redcloak or the Dark One might choose to take this knowledge and focus on finding a way to build up the Dark One's odds of surviving through to the next world instead, which could be interesting.

Also a bit of a grim note there with Thor saying he's seen other Gods starve in the interim between worlds. It does explain why the pantheons aren't overrun with non-original minor gods at this point, but also doesn't bode well for newcomers like the Elven gods or those minor demigods and the like.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The big barrier to negotiations with redcloak/tdo are that their desires for revenge and justice will come into conflict, and revenge will likely win.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I have a theory the next plot twist is that the Dark One's quiddity isn't unique. Because one other thing is drawn in purples: the Snarl. Did the Snarl raise the Dark One to godhood? Seems awfully convenient that his big plan is to free it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

His big plan is to threaten to free it. An important distinction.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Thor is still a redhead no matter how many comics portray him falsely. :colbert:

Actually, he is a powerhead :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=338YkxktGwA

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

LunarCress posted:

Surely once this hole in The Plan is pointed out to him, Redcloak will be happy to negotiate with the heroes, since the quddity reveal is such a major bargaining chip!

:20bux: says that Redcloak's gonna try to pull some half baked murderous scheme to power up TDO for the next cycle.

Redcloak's character arc has been to go from a one-dimensional villain to someone who cares about the combined goblinoid races. He'd be down with a "ride the atomic bomb down to the ground" plan if he didn't see any future for goblin-kind, but if he really believed that there was a way to get a solid future of being a real PC race then Redcloak will do whatever he thinks that takes including breaking ranks with The Dark One.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

fool_of_sound posted:

The big barrier to negotiations with redcloak/tdo are that their desires for revenge and justice will come into conflict, and revenge will likely win.

And also that they have no reason to believe Durkon/Thor are telling the truth and have their best interests at heart, given that the last time The Dark One tried to negotiate as an equal, he got assassinated.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Does Redcloak have to voluntarily cast a spell aimed at giving the other gods purple quiddity, or can a spell he casts for some other purpose be used for that instead of whatever he was trying to do? We don't know, of course, but that's another way that this could shake out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dolash posted:

It's also a good point that Redcloak or the Dark One might choose to take this knowledge and focus on finding a way to build up the Dark One's odds of surviving through to the next world instead, which could be interesting.

That's still a win since it's an immediate solution. They can't do a Dark One spirit bomb at a moment's notice when either the Snarl or the gods are ending the world. It's something that will take years to do and Redcloak will need to patch up the current problems before putting that plan into action.

It's a safe bet that over the millennia that the Order's world isn't stable even with patches applied to the rifts. New ones are going to keep forming and eventually you have a world that's more patches than world. So maybe once they understand the way things work, the Dark One will be ready to survive and make a new world that's more solid.

The worst part of this exposition dump is that it makes me want this vampire stuff done with even sooner so we can get on with trying to convince Redcloak to save the world.

ultrafilter posted:

Does Redcloak have to voluntarily cast a spell aimed at giving the other gods purple quiddity, or can a spell he casts for some other purpose be used for that instead of whatever he was trying to do? We don't know, of course, but that's another way that this could shake out.

Thor said they needed the power of a ninth level spell slot from him so it's being treated as a particular spell that he can cast. It also means they can't go the Xykon route and just hand the cloak off to the nearest goblin after he dies.

The Order is going to have to go to the Dark One's plane to convince Redcloak to be resurrected after the monster in the dark eats him, aren't they.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 18, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also the three devils who have their own plans for the gates, no telling what those are. They said that they wanted to maintain the balance between good and evil to somehow profit from the conflict? Whatever that means. I assume that makes them opposed to Hel's plans, although maybe they would be opposed on grounds of being residents of the universe that would be destroyed. Maybe. It's not clear whether extraplanar entities would be eliminated, but I'm leaning towards "yes."

I've been reading through the archive to see if I missed anything, and that's the biggest dangling plot hook, and there's not many. Elan's dad will probably pop up somehow (potentially with Haley's dad), and Thog will probably weasel his way back into the story somehow. Maybe the crazed druid and half elf sorcerer could make another appearance?

Also Vaarsuvius is a really bad person.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Thog needs to stay dead because it was good way to end his character.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tarquin's plot thread is deliberately left dangling because his whole thing was knowing how stories work, and the only way to utterly defeat him is giving him a terrible non-ending without any resolution. Bringing him back would invalidate that. In general I'm pretty sure the Linear Guild as an institution has had its time in the story, evil opposites are such a mid-tier adventurer personal problem and we're firmly into saving the world territory. Sabine's probably still gonna play a role.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
By Tarquin's character, I can see him returning, but the only satisfying way to close out his ending then is to basically have him get smoked immediately by the Snarl or Xykon or Redcloak. I don't think he should return because his ending was satisfying in how it resolved his threads- deliberately left hanging (to him), his worldview shattered.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Speaking of which I've had this idea that if anyone's gonna be smoked by the Snarl for sure, it's gonna be Xykon. Don't ask me why, it just popped into my head one day, and I guess it would be a good way to get rid of a regenerating lich and also kind of a comeuppance thing.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Speaking of which I've had this idea that if anyone's gonna be smoked by the Snarl for sure, it's gonna be Xykon. Don't ask me why, it just popped into my head one day, and I guess it would be a good way to get rid of a regenerating lich and also kind of a comeuppance thing.

My theory is that it'll lash at Xykon, but MitD will take the hit and die without ever being seen. Xykon freaks out back to his fortress, leaving Red Cloak to summon some neptunium elementals

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh please by all means bring back the villains that have had millions of strips dedicated to them and have had every possible plot done and resolved, please we need more of Tarkin being a wacky evil man who read the evil overlord list

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's the deal with demons and devils, do they not serve any of the gods? Do they operate on having their own worshippers? Do they have quiddity?

I'm just wondering if these are guys that also concern themselves with the snarl as a higher existential problem or if like people in the prime material plane new ones just get created each cycle.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

What's the joke about the pyramid diagram? Is it just that divine worship is a pyramid scheme?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Zombie Dachshund posted:

What's the joke about the pyramid diagram? Is it just that divine worship is a pyramid scheme?

The old "food pyramid" I took it as.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Al Borland Corpse posted:

What's the deal with demons and devils, do they not serve any of the gods? Do they operate on having their own worshippers? Do they have quiddity?

I'm just wondering if these are guys that also concern themselves with the snarl as a higher existential problem or if like people in the prime material plane new ones just get created each cycle.

I've only read the devil sourcebook, but most devils serve the higherarchy of the 9 hells, which has power exceeding the evil gods, but is not actually divine in nature*.

They do have worshippers, but that doesn't actually provide them with power, just leverage for corruption of mortal souls. Some work for gods, but that's mostly a "biggest fish in the local pond" phenomenon.

*A neat thing about that is they imply asmodeus is saving up his power to become a God in 3.5, then in 4 he is a major evil God

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ikanreed posted:

*A neat thing about that is they imply asmodeus is saving up his power to become a God in 3.5, then in 4 he is a major evil God

Didn't they also do this with Vecna in between 2ED and 3ED?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The old "food pyramid" I took it as.

Yeah. That and stuff like Maslow's hierarchy of needs. People like making pyramid diagrams.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah. That and stuff like Maslow's hierarchy of needs. People like making pyramid diagrams.

Yeah but the food pyramid is the actual joke they're making.

"We don't use that anymore"

The diversity of divine categories of energy.

Would've worked better as a visual gag

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

ikanreed posted:

Yeah but the food pyramid is the actual joke they're making
Hell, there's a Hel survives off empty calories joke

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

I've only read the devil sourcebook, but most devils serve the higherarchy of the 9 hells, which has power exceeding the evil gods, but is not actually divine in nature*.

They do have worshippers, but that doesn't actually provide them with power, just leverage for corruption of mortal souls. Some work for gods, but that's mostly a "biggest fish in the local pond" phenomenon.

Devils feed off the souls of everyone who is Lawful Evil but not actually dedicated to a God, and everyone they trick into taking a Faustian Pact.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Some of the planescape stuff hints that the abyss/demons were created when some evil supergod was defeated and shattered at the beginning of time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Didn't they also do this with Vecna in between 2ED and 3ED?

"Die Vecna Die" shows how Vecna got a promotion and rewrote the game rules to be more caster friendly

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A.o.D. posted:

"Die Vecna Die" shows how Vecna got a promotion and rewrote the game rules to be more caster friendly

I'm pretty sure that was for the 1e to 2e transition.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Who What Now posted:

Nah, I don't know much about it, but it's on Wikipedia.

I think 1 to 2 was time of troubles?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, AD&D to 2e was the Time of Troubles, including such gems as Bhall sucking out the souls of every assassin in the world before getting killed himself...and hey, look at that, you can't play as an assassin anymore in 2e!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, AD&D to 2e was the Time of Troubles, including such gems as Bhall sucking out the souls of every assassin in the world before getting killed himself...and hey, look at that, you can't play as an assassin anymore in 2e!

Still not as dumb as the spellplague

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

What I always found amusing about the Time of Troubles was all the lengths they went to justify the changes from AD&D to 2e in the Forgotten Realms, but they never bothered to do the same for Greyhawk. So in the FR there's this huge deal with gods and avatars and every assassin in the world losing his or her soul...and in Greyhawk, I dunno, they just quit showing up or something?

ikanreed posted:

Still not as dumb as the spellplague

That's because there's nothing as dumb as the spellplague. :colbert:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Who What Now posted:

That was definitely 2nd to 3rd, btw. Vecna wasn't a deity in 2nd, and Planescape and everything didn't even exist in 1st.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Well I learned something new then.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

What was the Spell Plague? Also how does Karsus's Avatar fit into the edition changes?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

xanthan posted:

What was the Spell Plague? Also how does Karsus's Avatar fit into the edition changes?

One of the 17 times all the magic in the forgotten realms got blown up

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

xanthan posted:

It was the explanation for the 3.5 to 4e transition. I forget any of the specifics other than it was dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

xanthan posted:

Also how does Karsus's Avatar fit into the edition changes?

It doesn't. Karsus was from the "Netheril: Empire of Magic" 2nd edition box set, set 5000 years before then current Forgotten Realms, during a time "when magic was raw and powerful, when spellcasters stood supreme in the eyes of their nation."

In short, the Netheril setting had spells above 9th level. Karsus loving up was the plot reason why Timmy's wizard wasn't allowed to bring Create Volcano (Level: 10; Range: One mile/level; Setting Implications: it belong to Timmy now) out of it's carefully delineated fun-having zone.