Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
im just glad that the spa fad died out almost everywhere, idgaf what web devs do as long as it isn't ever that again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

im just glad that the spa fad died out almost everywhere, idgaf what web devs do as long as it isn't ever that again

what now?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

single-page (web) applications, presumably

this is the first i've heard of them dying out, though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
react, vue, et al. are spa frameworks

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

single page applications

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
oh, you've seen my resume

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

single page applications

yep. we're still making em

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Corla Plankun posted:

this is some advanced level irony

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

akadajet posted:

yep. we're still making em

can you stop please

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

akadajet posted:

front butt developer

you called?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I wrote an spa as babbys first development that was quite literally one html page with all actual sections just hidden/shown and it was horrible and I'll never do it again

thinking about it it was more like a mobile app. Gross.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Looking at the changelog for chrome 70 it's so weird... Desktop progressive apps and public key support are very similar to existing features that chrome has had for more than a decade. I guess it's good these things are being done right now but it makes me wonder why this took so long.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Kilometres Davis posted:

Vanilla JS is fine if you don't have to deal with anyone else's code.

aint that the truth

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

yeah. i am a real bad developer but after fumbling around with the big frameworks for a while i have come to the conclusion it is still faster, easier, and more maintainable to just do everything myself

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 18, 2018

animist
Aug 28, 2018
ctps: mildly concerned that the production URL of this web service starts with "staging"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
when people capitalize Vanilla JS are they referring to a framework or a dialect of js?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

when people capitalize Vanilla JS are they referring to a framework or a dialect of js?

they just mean they aren't using a spa framework or jquery

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

BRB making a framework called "vanilla js with no framework"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

BRB making a framework called "vanilla js with no framework"

ajs ajs baby

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

The trend of capitalizing it may have come from http://vanilla-js.com/ which is a sort of joke that describes framework-less js as if it's a new framework.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

mystes posted:

The trend of capitalizing it may have come from http://vanilla-js.com/ which is a sort of joke that describes framework-less js as if it's a new framework.

It's kind of funny to me that just using the language without framework garbage is a joke in and of itself.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

It's kind of funny to me that just using the language without framework garbage is a joke in and of itself.
I think the idea is that developers pay a lot of attention to whatever the hot new framework is but don't think to periodically go back and see how much better plain javascript has gotten.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

mystes posted:

I think the idea is that developers pay a lot of attention to whatever the hot new framework is but don't think to periodically go back and see how much better plain javascript has gotten.

"better"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It actually has gotten drastically better than it used to be*

*as bad as it is now, it used to be a lot worse

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean I personally hate javascript and certainly wouldn't write an SPA in plain javascript without react and typescript, but using jquery seems pretty unnecessary now.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

It actually has gotten drastically better than it used to be*

*as bad as it is now, it used to be a lot worse

the apis you get on the dom are a lot better. things that used to be a pain like service calls are easier to do. the browsers mostly implement it in a predictable way now.

and on top of that the language has gotten a lot nicer to use on a modern browser.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

help my boss thinks unit testing is a separate agile feature

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

"unit testing, what's that" - my boss

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
a manager at my last job categorized unit tests as non-functional requirements. "non-functional" simply meant "unimportant" to him so he discouraged working on them as much as possible

when their flagship software imploded it practically killed the whole company

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

AggressivelyStupid posted:

"unit testing, what's that" - my boss

Sounds like a waste of time imo

DaTroof posted:

a manager at my last job categorized unit tests as non-functional requirements. "non-functional" simply meant "unimportant" to him so he discouraged working on them as much as possible

when their flagship software imploded it practically killed the whole company

At my old job I made the mistake of rushing things without unit tests and presenting it as an option. Not making that mistake again

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We should start pretending that they're called "unit" tests because you work on them, together with the rest of the functionality, as a "unit".

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gonadic io posted:

At my old job I made the mistake of rushing things without unit tests and presenting it as an option. Not making that mistake again

hello welcome to the last 10 years of our application

I'm part of the problem tbh

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

gonadic io posted:

imo that's the #1 argument for using ci and writing unit tests first. more for the benefit of bureaucracy than the development process itself

if you tell management the feature works but you haven't written unit tests yet, they might tell you to skip it

if you tell them the build is broken, they'll panic and give it top priority

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

help my boss thinks unit testing is a separate agile feature

at least it’s not “suck my unit”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i think we still have only select teams doing any testing before a prod deployment

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i am a terrible programmer. holy cow

-i think i might be debugging on a release build, but i'm not sure yet. i have other things to do
-my live video effects app does several confusing things, and i've been stressing really hard to get the assets work on all supported iphones, including the ones with the dreaded notch. i have not tested on them

one of the confusing things it does is place the logo watermark on the preview as a UIImageView over the metal view that renders the effected video frames. i also need to sometimes render the watermark on the metal view, but it is slightly pixelated and not nice looking because the video preview is upscaling a smaller render for gpu optimization. however, the capture renders it at a higher quality thus not pixelated. so i need to switch between the uiimageview and the ciimage that gets drawn onto the metal view. the scaling between these two are totally different not only because of the upscaling in the metal view, but because metal draws strictly with pixels and not points. after figuring out the math, it looks like there is a little margin of error. the logo is slightly wider on the metal view. i'm not sure this is because the metal view is wider than it should be or because my math is wrong on how to convert this

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

wow i just had a quesadilla and now my mind is as clear as a bell

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

is there some sort of tool or cheat sheet for doing like a reverse syntax lookup for c++?

as in “yes this sequence of names, colons, braces, and brackets is defining a something that inherits from something and something and the overrides something and then...”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
You're in luck! Parsing C++ source code is famously straightforward.