Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

As someone who gave up on GTA:O at the start because it was a buggy POS, what actually happened to it and why is it such an anathema to all life?

People who play online multiplayer played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I just hope they changed how they do lobbies / matchmaking and the loading of the world in between.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MonkeyLibFront posted:

As someone who gave up on GTA:O at the start because it was a buggy POS, what actually happened to it and why is it such an anathema to all life?

The netcode 5 years on is still garbage
There are $4m vehicles that are hard to counter that encourage griefing
$100 real dollars only buys $8m funbux, so unless you work a part time job in game, the powerful vehicles are $50 real actual money.
All the new money making activities have $1m-$5m buy-ins and are mathed down to only pay at most around $300k/hour.
On PC, there are always godmode hackers that just repeatedly blow everybody up or trap them in cages or attach huge items to them and rockstar can't seem to handle them

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Do you like lots and lots of grinding?

I stopped playing after about a year but by all accounts it got worse and worse with pushing shark cards on people.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Crappy Jack posted:

People who play online multiplayer played it.

This is the absolute best way of putting it

You don't need shark cards but it can be very hard to avoid people being dicks

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Powershift posted:

The netcode 5 years on is still garbage
There are $4m vehicles that are hard to counter that encourage griefing
$100 real dollars only buys $8m funbux, so unless you work a part time job in game, the powerful vehicles are $50 real actual money.
All the new money making activities have $1m-$5m buy-ins and are mathed down to only pay at most around $300k/hour.
On PC, there are always godmode hackers that just repeatedly blow everybody up or trap them in cages or attach huge items to them and rockstar can't seem to handle them

Do they still put people into the bad sport lobby for blowing up personal vehicles and generally doing gta stuff "griefing"?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
This video I saved from the golden age of PS4 Goon GTAO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T97LeXNaMpU epitomizes for me the essence of GTAO which was basically just hangin out.

I got back into it again recently and I'll admit the only reason I'm able to do so solo (as most of the crew has moved on to other games) is because of the base of assets I built up doing heists with fellow PS4 goons 2 years ago or so. When I got a bonus at work I used shark cards to buy a yacht, but overall I don't think I've spent more than $100-150 on them over the 2-3 years I've played it cumulatively now. (and I bought the base game for $30 from Target in like 2014.)

This one's also a classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D7q7hXmmIE

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
GTAO is fun to gently caress around with a couple friends in private servers, but yeah all the problems cited here are extremely accurate. Buying every vehicle in the game would probably cost you 5 figures of real money. I'm hoping for better from RDRO because really how can you justify such exorbitant prices even for State of the Art Covered Wagon Technology?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do they still put people into the bad sport lobby for blowing up personal vehicles and generally doing gta stuff "griefing"?

No, they disabled bad sport lobbies because hackers were putting everybody in them

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
can't wait to see all the sick custom paintjobs on horsies. gonna get some two tone paint for mine

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The actual dirty secret about buying vehicles is not what it would cost to buy them all but rather that 99% of them aren't worth buying

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The smaller scope of cowboy land at least means, assumedly, at worst it will be assholes with a whale purchase tommygun that are still vulnerable to a good old fashioned quickdraw to the dome :clint:

I don't even have PS+ because I do all my online stuff on PC and 99% of my console gaming is single player loving about. But I am hoping for those more interested that the online stuff turns out to be good.

Speaking of guns, I am curious what the overall differences will be for handguns beyond things like ammo capacity, loading speed, ease of quickdraw antics, and other soft stats.

I remember San Andreas pissing me off when I finally got a Desert Eagle, only to find shooting people in the face didn't quite kill them until I ground up my desert eagle skill. I really doubt that will be the case here, but I am curious what the distinctions will be beyond fahsion points or STALKER style "Hey your expensive gun is laser accurate unloading all your ammo into skulls, unlike your cheap gun firing at wild angles unless you slowly feather single shots"

Powershift posted:

No, they disabled bad sport lobbies because hackers were putting everybody in them
I think I heard a story about hackers using guns that shot money as a way to flag people as hackers by way of "This guy got money too fast! Must be a cheater!"

(Softban system horror stories always make then sound like garbage that only serves to soothe the 'no guys, they really care about hackers! If you don't like it then YOU must be a hacker!' sort)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 19, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Section Z posted:

I think I heard a story about hackers using guns that shot money as a way to flag people as hackers by way of "This guy got money too fast! Must be a cheater!"

(Softban systems always sound like garbage that only serves to soothe the 'no guys, they really care about hackers! If you don't like it then YOU must be a hacker!' sort)

Nobody can really figure out what gets you banned. i got like 1 billion dollars and never got it taken or banned. Other people got 30 day bans and account wipes for nothing. The GTAO team's mishandling of the entire thing pisses a lot of people off.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

ElwoodCuse posted:

The actual dirty secret about buying vehicles is not what it would cost to buy them all but rather that 99% of them aren't worth buying

Once I got the bulletproof Kuruma I never drove anything else.

e: although I did want to save up enough to one day buy the attack helicopter

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
As stated the best part of GTAO was just hanging out with friends in a world rife with possibilities, mundane or otherwise. If RDR2O lets me and some long-distance buddies hang out in a virtual saloon playing Hold 'Em cracking wise, that's good enough for me.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If GTA:O is anything to go by, the best thing to do with RDRO will be get in early, glitch a few billion dollars, spend it, hope R* only confiscates glitched money not property in their inevitable pre-shark card crackdown, and endlessly grief pubbies with fellow goons.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I hope the top teir horse is actually an early car just to show how lovely it is

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I doubt RDR2 Online will be quite the scope of GTAO. I don't forsee you setting up turn of the century chem labs churning out bootleg laudanum over time, but I could (and probably will) be proven wrong.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Zutaten posted:

I doubt RDR2 Online will be quite the scope of GTAO. I don't forsee you setting up turn of the century chem labs churning out bootleg laudanum over time, but I could (and probably will) be proven wrong.

Moonshine

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Zutaten posted:

Maybe gangs with a settlement building type thing. That's the only way I can see them squeezing out a lot of high value items.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Im looking forward to the online. Not because I want to play it because I want to see how much naked greed they can squeeze into a western.

Hot air balloons with miniguns and bombs? The spider thing from wild wild west?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Sedisp posted:

Im looking forward to the online. Not because I want to play it because I want to see how much naked greed they can squeeze into a western.

Honestly as someone who enjoys the ridiculous crap in GTAO like flying legally distinct DeLoreans and a rocket powered not-quite Batmobile, going all in on steam powered spider mechs is fine by me. They need to either keep it simple and realistic, or balls out insane. Middle grounding it will just feel lame.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sedisp posted:

Too good for this sinful world would be duels between heavily armed trains.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to ride around Saint Denis or Blackwater on a ridiculous bicycle lassoing people. Is that really too much to ask?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sedisp posted:

Sell people their own train cars. And you can decorate each one with items you can only buy for real money.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I fell down

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Whatever happens the online mode will have some value because dueling never really gets old.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The trick to online will be finding the sweet spot where Benzies' vision starts to be properly implemented but before the Housers see how much money twisting his vision will make.

Oh wait

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
can't wait for people mic spamming "it's high noon"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'm just happy to see an open world game again.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

titties posted:

I fell down

heh

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I'm ridiculously excited for this game, as the first iteration is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm just unsure if I should get it on PS4 Pro or Xbox1X. I'm thinking it may be better on Xbone, but most of the gaming friends that I would play online with are PS4 dudes. Only reason I haven't pre-ordered yet.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
horse balls shrink in cold?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

the only real issues with gta online are bad netcode and an unfair economy that is leaned to push people to buy shark cards, the rest of the bitching is equivalent to someone rolling a new lvl 1 character in an MMO and wondering why they cant get the flaming armored white tiger mount immediately

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

HORMELCHILI posted:

the only real issues with gta online are bad netcode and an unfair economy that is leaned to push people to buy shark cards, the rest of the bitching is equivalent to someone rolling a new lvl 1 character in an MMO and wondering why they cant get the flaming armored white tiger mount immediately

I mean to be fair we ruined the economy by cheating and doomed those who came after to a life of envy and suffering i can't believe i became my parents

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The wrost part of gtaonline is that they never expected to take it this far so none of it is cohesive or thought out and none of it works together very well and if they had a plan from the get go even being greedy it would have been way better. They are going to have to really gently caress up to make it worse than gtao it will at least all fit together better i would think.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just want Blood Meridian: The Vidya Game. :shrug:

(especially the online version :getin:)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The worst part of gtaonline is that at some point those chuckle fucks didn't make a lightcycle style gamenode

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ZeusCannon posted:

The worst part of gtaonline is that at some point those chuckle fucks didn't make a lightcycle style gamenode

They did. It came out last year I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

can't wait for people mic spamming "it's high noon"

Wild Wild West is going to be playing on a loop (can't stop the bum rush)