Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Cart Mountain posted:

i wonder if chris weidman is gonna get completely owned in front of his hometown crowd again

I can only hope.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I assume so, here’s hoping we get weird awkward hands rockhold post fight

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaySB posted:

She grew up in Scottsdale, Arizona. Went to school there, spoke English her entire life. There is literally zero excuse for her to have as thick of a Brazilian accent as she does or need a translator. Her father also speaks English quite well, I've trained at their gym before.

When I lived in Egypt as a kid and was the only native English speaker my accent changed and then changed back to an American accent after I moved back to the US. It happens way more often than you think.

Edit - Hell look at Joe Rogan. He used to have a distinctive Boston accent when he started doing work for the UFC and now talks with a flat American one. The way you talk changes based on your surroundings.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 19, 2018

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

*mckenzie derns fat rear end starts clapping in an australian accent*

lol goddamn

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018
crazy that yoel kneed weidman in the front and back of the head in less than a second

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Is this MC Hammer’s speaking voice or is this video disgusting and misleading?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qBw62FCuGg

How disappointingly fun was Superboy–Swanson live?

How incredible is this coward’s armabar?

Is TKZ The Best Ever To Have Lived?

To the poster who uses a thinner mouth guard, is that just a grappling thing or do you use it for MMA sparring too? Thinking about changing out my old one.

What makes Whittaker so strong in wrestling defence despite being Australian, and, I believe, training in Sydney? I met him maybe 6 years ago and his MT clinch was at best workable, so his improvement is amazes me.

Thee are some other topics we could discuss.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Usually people with really good takedown defense don't settle for positions. Whittaker and Aldo are always moving their feet, fighting grips, switching hips, etc to get away from the takedown.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
It should be illegal to be Yoel Romero.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
99% of takedown defense is not resting until the threat of a takedown is gone.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you can’t wrestle DON’t wrestle.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It should be illegal to be Yoel Romero.

It really is an extremely unfair advantage.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

andelazo posted:

What makes Whittaker so strong in wrestling defence despite being Australian, and, I believe, training in Sydney? I met him maybe 6 years ago and his MT clinch was at best workable, so his improvement is amazes me.

As an Australian, I also wonder this. Are his coaches (and him) actually very good? How much would he benefit from moving to a top-tier US gym? I'm assuming that the level of sparring partner available to him in Sydney is also lower than it would be overseas.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
He and his coaches are really smart.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Screama posted:

As an Australian, I also wonder this. Are his coaches (and him) actually very good? How much would he benefit from moving to a top-tier US gym? I'm assuming that the level of sparring partner available to him in Sydney is also lower than it would be overseas.

On JRE Stylebender mentioned he thought the striking (kickboxing) sparring was not as high level in US compared to Aus/NZ

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Scapegoat posted:

On JRE Stylebender mentioned he thought the striking (kickboxing) sparring was not as high level in US compared to Aus/NZ

Australia gets a lot of crosstraining with high level thai boxers. Not as big a benefit to their hands, but.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
also i'm sure that the australian national wrestling team has access to some high level training even if their athletes aren't top level in folkstyle / greco roman.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Kickboxing is bigger in Australia compared to the US, and like someone mentioned above they have access to a bigger pool of high level MT coaches/sparring partners.

It's one of those things. You're almost guaranteed a great wrestling coach or high level of sparring partners for wrestling in the US or Russia as it's popular there. Just like if you train out of Holland your striking will be on point and if you train in England you will be able to slice someone up with a pint glass to a higher degree than anywhere else except probably Auckland.

E: There's always exceptions to the rule, such as (and forever) GSP going from karate kid cosplayer to the greatest MMA wrestler of all time.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Rockhold could beat Weidman, the whole middleweight division, move down, beat Woodley, move up, beat Jones, and he'll still be that guy who got fuckin starched by short notice Bisping.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Untrustable posted:

Rockhold could beat Weidman, the whole middleweight division, move down, beat Woodley, move up, beat Jones, and he'll still be that guy who got fuckin starched by short notice Bisping.

Its a dangerous thing, I always counted RDA out for literally years because he was either the guy who got starched by that uppercut thrown by Jeremy Stephens or the guy who tapped out to head and arm control against Clay Guida.

Also Max Holloway, a man who lost to Leonard Garcia.

On the other hand in February next year Fedor is going to lose to a man who was arm in guillotined by Tito Ortiz...

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

you know whats a tite rear end song? bat out of hell, by meat loaf, in case we need something better to talk about but would prefer to stay way off topic

Paradise by the Dashboard Light AND I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) are better. I will fight anyone who disagrees. But only after I do a semester abroad in Australia and start using 'no worries, mate' in conversation, all the time, to goad people into asking me about my semester abroad in Australia.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm just saying that Rockhold could be the most decorated MW in history and I'd still lean in with the "ACTUALLY he got knocked out by retirement tour two weeks notice Michael Bisping". And I won't say it because I necessarily am a huge Bisping fan. I'm just a huge fan of how mad it made Rockhold.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
gently caress Conor for ending joint post-fight pressers because the Bisping-Rockhold one was so loving awesome

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm trying to figure out how Garbrandt could fight a matrix-style "you can't hit me" gameplan against the guy with balsa wood hands and punching power which is statistically less effective than at least one W115 fighter, and then decide it was best to start trading shots at the chin vs the guy who had already knocked him out once.

I guess the answer is that he's stupid, but that's how stupid.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Well if getting drunk this past weekend and watching most of the first season of Iron Fist taught me anything it's that Garbrandt needs to learn to focus his chi.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CommonShore posted:

I'm trying to figure out how Garbrandt could fight a matrix-style "you can't hit me" gameplan against the guy with balsa wood hands and punching power which is statistically less effective than at least one W115 fighter, and then decide it was best to start trading shots at the chin vs the guy who had already knocked him out once.

I guess the answer is that he's stupid, but that's how stupid.

he should try to get his groove back by stand and also banging with johnny lineker

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
I saw this posted on r/mma and it's the hardest I've ever laughed at an mma move
https://streamable.com/gr0wn

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Flaskraven posted:

I saw this posted on r/mma and it's the hardest I've ever laughed at an mma move

ahahah

I hope they never cut Artem

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Flaskraven posted:

Holy poo poo it's like he fell asleep halfway through doing it, ahahaha

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That was sweet

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Flaskraven posted:

It's like he went for the Ferguson comedy-roll and then gave up on it halfway through :lol:

It's beautiful

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo it's like he fell asleep halfway through doing it, ahahaha

The fainting GOAT

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm sure everyone here saw, but I didn't notice that Khabib wasn't letting go after the tap and Herb Dean had to pry his grip apart until we watched the replay of the whole end of the fight like 3 times.

Conor was cheating like a motherfucker and had already Brazilian Tapped once. Keeping it locked on until the ref seperated it was just good sense, really.

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Flaskraven posted:

It's like a drunk attempt at a roll lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

The fainting GOAT

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Rubellavator posted:

The fainting GOAT

lmao

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

andelazo posted:

To the poster who uses a thinner mouth guard, is that just a grappling thing or do you use it for MMA sparring too? Thinking about changing out my old one.

Just for grappling. It's the guard my dentist gave me for grinding my teeth, except I only did that for a month once, so I switched it to my BJJ mouth guard cuz it's easier to breathe and talk around, but still keeps me from cracking my teeth. Which I did the one time I rolled without a mouth guard, so now I'm paranoid.

For striking, I had a reasonably nice boil and bite with shock absorption. I was going to get a custom guard for competition, but I got injured before that and moved on.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Flaskraven posted:

Holy gently caress this is good

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1053405666931564544

Was actually looking forward to that rematch

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

TheKingslayer posted:

I can only hope.

Lmao I forgot how he goosestepped around the octagon like a psycopath afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so khaboob isn't actually gonna fight Mayweather and its just one of my friends being really dumb, right?

• Locked thread