Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

FCKGW posted:

(For some reason the "add to cart" button on the Lowes website is completely broken with PiHole running :shrug:)

Probably because you shouldn't be buying anything from Lowes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Entropy238 posted:

What is the go to adblocker for safari these days?

uBlock Origin, same as on PCs with Chrome, Firefox, etc.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hasn't ublock origin for safari been abandoned? any new up-and-comers?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

IUG posted:

SAVE BIG MONEY AT MENAAAAAARD'S!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

i think 'will slow down your web browsing' is a bit of a misnomer, it should really be 'may slow down your web browsing'. like afaik ublock and all the non-content blocker api blockers do the blocking through javascript, which is going to add some CPU and RAM overhead. makes sense why they don't support this on ios. in practice though i'm using a tower mac pro with 6 cores and 16gb RAM; safari's resource usage has never really been a problem and likely isn't a problem until you get into like 12" macbook territory.

the content blocker api blockers are nominally supposed to come with a speed improvement just by virtue of how they do the blocking, but i've never noticed that in practice and the ones i've tried (wipr et al) seem slower than just using ublock origin. i think this is because there's a limit on how much stuff they actually block, whereas ublock will gladly chomp through as many lists as you can throw at it. and being as i have a tower computer connected to the wall my system resources aren't exactly at a premium; my network connection is the limiting factor. so the more crap that's blocked the better, and the faster my browsing. obviously if i enabled every single list i might run into a bottleneck but i don't think i'm at that stage

there's also the privacy implication as ublock can read all the data you send and receive from sites. in practice, ublock is open source and recommended as a basic security measure for political campaign staffers so i'm not super worried

e: anyone with a 2012 mac pro and rx 580 notice a weird regression in sleep behaviour with mojave? like the computer will go to sleep and wake up just fine, but the monitor sometimes won't actually display an image for like 30s to a minute. it'll pretty much always eventually work but it's disconcerting as gently caress

Yeah, I figured the slowdown warning was about Apple deprecating the old plugin API or whatever, not ublock actually being slow. It actually runs pretty fast on a 12" macbook so I'll probably just stay with it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The only other caveat with Mojave I can think of, and it's really more a browser issue, is that Java web pages won't run in Safari 12.

If your company uses anything Java-based it's a no-go unless you want to resort to using EOL'ed versions of Firefox or other trickery.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

IUG posted:

It beats the other chain, who disavowed all legal culpability for an employee murdering a pregnant subordinate and raping her corpse with the still-alive fetus inside after numerous unresolved complaints about his behavior

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

It beats the other chain, who disavowed all legal culpability for an employee murdering a pregnant subordinate and raping her corpse with the still-alive fetus inside after numerous unresolved complaints about his behavior

Yeah but his numbers were always high so :shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vulture Culture posted:

Instead of making a loss prevention joke I

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah, I'm that guy. Sadly, I'm still trying to get by with Server.app profile management. On one hand, it's hilariously limited. On the other hand, I don't think it involves any kernel extensions, so UAMDM shouldn't matter, right?

I'm pretty sure UAMDM is going to come into play from the get go. My understanding is you can send out the MDM profile, or any profile, but someone physically at the computer has to approve it before the profiles will do anything. I'm curious if you could package the profiles and install them with ARD though. Looks like you can install them with something like this:

code:
profiles -I -F /private/tmp/YourProfileHere.mobileconfig
If you have a decent inventory (you would need serial numbers) of your Macs and Apple Remote Desktop, you could probably name them by hosting a CSV on a network share and running a Bash script, something like this might work. I know they're using the Jamf binary, but you can do pretty much the same thing with this:

code:
scutil --set ComputerName "name"
scutil --set LocalHostName "name"
scutil --set HostName "name"
But yeah, long story short. Get Jamf going!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Last Chance posted:

hasn't ublock origin for safari been abandoned? any new up-and-comers?

nah they changed the plugin api in 12 which broke a shitload of extensions but ublock origin got an update. i say cross that bridge when you come to it

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I have a 3TB external drive that I want to use as both a Time Machine backup for my 1TB system drive, and as additional storage. Would it be best to give TM its own partition, or is it fine to just use one partition with and set the TM max size via the command line? Also wondering how much space I should give TM for backing up a 1TB drive? I don't care much about having a deep version history for everything, so I was thinking I'd only give it 1.25 TB.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Splinter posted:

I have a 3TB external drive that I want to use as both a Time Machine backup for my 1TB system drive, and as additional storage. Would it be best to give TM its own partition, or is it fine to just use one partition with and set the TM max size via the command line? Also wondering how much space I should give TM for backing up a 1TB drive? I don't care much about having a deep version history for everything, so I was thinking I'd only give it 1.25 TB.

AFAIK you must have tm on its own partition. Mine has 650gb for a 512 and it seems to be going great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tuyop posted:

AFAIK you must have tm on its own partition. Mine has 650gb for a 512 and it seems to be going great.

You can just choose to use the drive for backups and still copy arbitrary files to it.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
I have a 2011 iMac that needs a new hard drive.

How the gently caress do I download an installer that I can run on this computer?

Why did apple make this simple process such a cluster gently caress?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

freezepops posted:

I have a 2011 iMac that needs a new hard drive.

How the gently caress do I download an installer that I can run on this computer?

Why did apple make this simple process such a cluster gently caress?

Find a Mac running something older than Mojave. Go to the app store, download High Sierra but don't install it. Then make a USB bootable drive from that

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
Is there an option if I don't have a pre-Mojave Mac available?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wouldn’t you just chuck a new drive in there and turn on the computer and then do cmd+alt+r for internet recovery?

How is it better on Linux or Windows? You’re going to need some kind of computer to get bootable media running on any computer somehow.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah iMac has done Internet Recovery since 2010

tuyop posted:

How is it better on Linux or Windows? You’re going to need some kind of computer to get bootable media running on any computer somehow.

Windows or Linux you can get the ISO on any platform, using MAS requires a Mac.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

I guess that’s technically true but I’ve never gotten a Windows bootable usb to create properly on Linux or Mac, and win10 media creation fails randomly all the time with the Microsoft tool on win10 machines.

Linux is fine though, you’re right. I just mean that it’s a bit of a pain to download the OS, (on Windows) download imaging software, create the image, then do the whole boot and install compared to internet recovery.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

nah they changed the plugin api in 12 which broke a shitload of extensions but ublock origin got an update. i say cross that bridge when you come to it

No it didn't, the last commit to the repo was six months ago. According to Reddit, the dev's "taking a break" which doesn't fill me with tons of confidence, but hopefully they pick it back up

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Why the hell is my incompatable 2008 Mac Pro giving me notifications to upgrade to Mojave?

I hope it doesn't keep nagging me forever about this

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pivo posted:

:filez:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MS does just hand the ISO out nowadays though right?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Last Chance posted:

MS does just hand the ISO out nowadays though right?

Yeah it's pretty cool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I am seeing this might be software related via a google search.

My built in sd card reader isn’t working anymore in my mid 2012 MacBook Pro. It was working a ok and then I pulled out the card before ejecting it and since then it hasn’t been working. I don’t know if that is just a coincidence or not. Using an external card reader works fine but that is a pain and one reason I like this MacBook is not needing to bring tiny things to plug into it like card readers and dongles and so on.

Google is giving me conflicting reports from “jiggle it” to it possibly being due to an OS upgrade (I had upgraded to Mohave and had no issues with it though).

Any ideas for a fix? I’ve restarted the computer as that works on my pc when the card reader acts up but this is now a consistent problem over about 4 days now.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Wouldn’t you just chuck a new drive in there and turn on the computer and then do cmd+alt+r for internet recovery?

I didn’t know the 2011s had internet recovery. That’s a lovely band aid over just offering bootable installs to download. I’ll just install a loving 7 year old OS and then go through updates tied to an individual account, which isn’t mine.

I’m not sure why Linux or windows came into the convo, but I’m pretty sure I can buy the latest supported version of windows for PC hardware built back in 2011 if I needed to and hated my life enough to bother. What pisses me off is that it used to be loving easy with Apple HW and now I have to update and tie poo poo to an account if I want to fully update a Mac.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

rio posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I am seeing this might be software related via a google search.

Any ideas for a fix? I’ve restarted the computer as that works on my pc when the card reader acts up but this is now a consistent problem over about 4 days now.

Did you zap the PRAM? If not, reboot and hold command + option + p + r.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I'm using a PiHole, it's pretty nice.
You'll spend the first week or two running into weird issues with certain sites until you know what to whitelist though.
(For some reason the "add to cart" button on the Lowes website is completely broken with PiHole running :shrug:)

What Pi did you put it on? Is the newest full size one with onboard wired Ethernet the way to go?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

What Pi did you put it on? Is the newest full size one with onboard wired Ethernet the way to go?

it doesn't have to be an actual Pi, I'd recommend a $5/mo digital ocean VPS or whatever. Paired with OpenVPN or something you can use it away from your home (I have my phone pretty much permanently hooked up to it) without having to deal with the headache of tunneling to a residential host and you can use the VPS for other stuff too.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

freezepops posted:

I didn’t know the 2011s had internet recovery. That’s a lovely band aid over just offering bootable installs to download. I’ll just install a loving 7 year old OS and then go through updates tied to an individual account, which isn’t mine.

I’m not sure why Linux or windows came into the convo, but I’m pretty sure I can buy the latest supported version of windows for PC hardware built back in 2011 if I needed to and hated my life enough to bother. What pisses me off is that it used to be loving easy with Apple HW and now I have to update and tie poo poo to an account if I want to fully update a Mac.

I'm not sure where you're getting it from that you're required to tie anything to an account, particularly one that isn't yours. (How would that work if you don't know the original owner's Apple ID and password? Presuming that this is a Mac you bought used.)

Also, if you've ever had macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later installed on your computer, you got a firmware update which upgraded Internet Recovery so it's able to install the latest macOS supported on your computer. Post update, you will have three Recovery key combos:

cmd-R: Boots the local recovery partition, which can reinstall your current OS version
cmd-opt-R: Internet recovery, installs the latest macOS compatible with your computer
cmd-opt-shift-R: Internet recovery, installs the factory OS version (the original Internet Recovery feature)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Ultimate Mango posted:

I got it on a model 3 or whatever the newest model was as of the end of 2017. It’s great. I don’t see YouTube ads except for on my Apple TV for some reason.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Did you zap the PRAM? If not, reboot and hold command + option + p + r.

I forgot all about this - that did fix it, thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Mine is on a model 2b, the one with wired Ethernet. I gave it a static IP and shoved it into my network closet. In theory you should be able to run it on a Pi Zero but that’s WiFi only.

It’s only handling DNS queries, not moving any actual internet traffic through it so doesn’t have to be on any beefy hardware.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

freezepops posted:

What are you talking about? How is booting up directly into the install process via a key press “a band aid” compared to downloading ISOs on a second computer and creating bootable install media?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

What are you talking about? How is booting up directly into the install process via a key press “a band aid” compared to downloading ISOs on a second computer and creating bootable install media?

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

iMessage stopped working on my MacBook Pro today. It logged me out and won't let me log back in. Says error occurred during activation after it hangs. I thought it was little snitch so I turned it off but didn't work. All of my other iCloud services work fine and I can message on my phone. Any one else experiencing this?

edit: weird ok reboot fixed it. never had that happen before. iMessages on my phone and laptop aren't in sync though. Can you force a sync?

Housh fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 20, 2018

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting it from that you're required to tie anything to an account, particularly one that isn't yours. (How would that work if you don't know the original owner's Apple ID and password? Presuming that this is a Mac you bought used.)

Also, if you've ever had macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later installed on your computer, you got a firmware update which upgraded Internet Recovery so it's able to install the latest macOS supported on your computer. Post update, you will have three Recovery key combos:

cmd-R: Boots the local recovery partition, which can reinstall your current OS version
cmd-opt-R: Internet recovery, installs the latest macOS compatible with your computer
cmd-opt-shift-R: Internet recovery, installs the factory OS version (the original Internet Recovery feature)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

I was reinstalling OSX my dead grandfathers iMac. I couldn’t upgrade from 10.10 as it required his Apple ID credentials (unknown). Needless to say he did not keep it updated, internet recovery only reinstalled the original OS version.

I wanted to simply wipe and install the latest OS. Since internet recovery didn’t install the latest os, and I didnt want my ID associated with an iMac that will be given away to someone else. At least I was able to use time machine on my laptop to revert to a version of OSX that would let me download and create the High Sierra installer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

freezepops posted:

I was reinstalling OSX my dead grandfathers iMac. I couldn’t upgrade from 10.10 as it required his Apple ID credentials (unknown). Needless to say he did not keep it updated, internet recovery only reinstalled the original OS version.

I wanted to simply wipe and install the latest OS. Since internet recovery didn’t install the latest os, and I didnt want my ID associated with an iMac that will be given away to someone else. At least I was able to use time machine on my laptop to revert to a version of OSX that would let me download and create the High Sierra installer.

I think this’d all be fine if you just wiped the computer from macOS and then did the recovery. I’m glad it worked out for you though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Last Chance posted:

No it didn't, the last commit to the repo was six months ago. According to Reddit, the dev's "taking a break" which doesn't fill me with tons of confidence, but hopefully they pick it back up

oh poo poo well gently caress knows then. still works fine