Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Today it dawned on me season 2’s ridiculously cheap Dark Rangers could have just used the Dairanger main five costumes instead. And then after the Zyuranger PRs defeat them, Zordon could have melted down their coins to make the White Ranger.

Those hilariously cheap costumes are a gift that never stop giving, so I’m glad they didn’t do something this sensible.

Shows how short sighted you are compared to Saban. Just imagine what it would look like if the dark rangers were the Dai Rangers every time Mega Force Rangers changed into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh by the way I've been writing a Star Trek / Power Rangers fanfiction, which I'm posting in the GBS Star Trek thread.

I present it to you here, I am posting a new chapter every Friday or Saturday.

Part 1: New Civilizations

Part 2: Into the Grid

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 17, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, a number monster. It doesn't get used very imaginatively.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like checking out what the monster did in Carranger and apparently this one

quote:

he wiled a magic number stuff. with let him appears to play havoc with his staff to manipulate numbers like those in transfer check amounts and the price of items in stores. now on its face that sounds pretty lame compared to some of the other space gang members. but the ability to completty undo earths monetary and number systems is actually very dangerous. his plan was to throw the numbers of earth into disorder. and with humans society in a panic the Bowzock could hijack earth. leater crotch gave him a powerup backpack and the ability to use Number Bombs.

Friends don't let friends drunk-edit Wikia.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uhhh, so this is a thing...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Let's just

Not talk about that

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Leater crotch? I mean, okay...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Red and green are really well designed. The masks are funny but that's some good lingerie

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
The Super Sentai and Power Rangers Megathread: That’s some good lingerie.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Talk is cheap. Show me the Megazord.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Red and green are really well designed. The masks are funny but that's some good lingerie

No golden brassiere, no sale.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lizard Wizard posted:

No golden brassiere, no sale.

That rightly should be a different piece that you can put on any of the lingeries

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So if you import the Sentai version of that lingerie, you get shiny silk, right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Got to meet Johnny Bosch today! He was really nice. Signed a free autograph for my kid who was too shy to come over. Had a great story about 18 year old JDF almost killing him in Australia

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Having recently watched too much Anime I needed something else, something stupid...so I started watching RPM for the first time since it gets pretty decent praise.
And holy crap :monocle: at that first episode. I'm in for a fun and silly little ride aren't I?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth TNT posted:

Having recently watched too much Anime I needed something else, something stupid...so I started watching RPM for the first time since it gets pretty decent praise.
And holy crap :monocle: at that first episode. I'm in for a fun and silly little ride aren't I?

Beware Ranger Yellow

It's a bad thing

Ranger Blue makes up for it though

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, it's the trifecta: a Justin-centric episode comprised of mostly American footage with a very important safety lesson.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

LizWiz, what's your process on these? I'm curious how long it takes, and how you decide just how dumb the final cut will be. And were there any episodes which were agonizing to work on?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

LizWiz, what's your process on these? I'm curious how long it takes, and how you decide just how dumb the final cut will be. And were there any episodes which were agonizing to work on?

I don't watch episodes in advance; I just rip them from the DVD, drop it into Movie Studio and crop as I go, so probably...40-45 minutes for an episode before rendering, usually. No episodes really stick out as awful, but if you want to know my main source of agony it's when two spoken lines of dialog overlap each other, or when they change shots at the end of a line of dialog, which makes some moments just impossible to isolate and use in the final cut.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is it bad that I would've completely agreed with Justin using his powers for personal gain here? They sure wouldn't gently caress with him anymore if they got the poo poo beaten out of them by the Blue Ranger. Or hell, apparently even an unmorphed Justin could've broken some teeth. That's a really strong child.

Also for once a detonator goes off and...it only creates a monster. Wow. Divatox's plans are even less impressive when they work. And that was an incredibly obvious shift from American to Japanese footage (Rygor and Eltar's faces, jesus, and the footage looked much darker in general).

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is it bad that I would've completely agreed with Justin using his powers for personal gain here? They sure wouldn't gently caress with him anymore if they got the poo poo beaten out of them by the Blue Ranger. Or hell, apparently even an unmorphed Justin could've broken some teeth. That's a really strong child.

No. That moment annoyed me when it aired. And all that annoyance boiled back up when I watched that clip.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zordon's rules are honestly rathe dumb and arbitrary and rooted in a lot of 90's "fair-play" "lessons" that seemed more focused on making sure kids know their place than anything with legitimate merit.

I remember when Dino Thunder was airing and there was a lot of blowback towards Conner for "escalating battles" by wanting to get stronger or using a zord or a battlizer on something that didn't require so much power and I was just like. These monsters are threatening people's lives. If you have an advantage, for god's sake use it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Escalation of force is a real problem, though. It's a good thing to teach kids to respond appropriately to threats instead of just like going immediately to rolling out the Ultrazord because the monster first stepped foot on Earth at man-size, or smashing Johnny's face into the desk because he took your eraser.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Escalation of force is a real problem, though. It's a good thing to teach kids to respond appropriately to threats instead of just like going immediately to rolling out the Ultrazord because the monster first stepped foot on Earth at man-size, or smashing Johnny's face into the desk because he took your eraser.

I agree that escalating pointlessly is an issue, but also, what is being escalated here? In monster fights, it's still a monster trying to kill every human do silly stuff to everyone in the one city they care about. I'd say Rita & co. already escalated the hell out of that fight from day one.

Here, though obviously lesser, the idea that you can make friends with people that hate you for incredibly petty reasons is very silly. It works because it's a dumb show for children, but in reality this is a terrible lesson that'd only end up with Justin getting beaten up even worse and then sucking up to them because that's what he's been taught to do. Of course, violence wouldn't exactly fix it in reality either - but in reality children can't insta-grow to adults and gain super-powers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Someone stealing another kid's eraser is leagues different from something like monsters attacking people in the streets or a giant monster stomping a city subdivision into glass. The idea of "hey maybe we should use the smaller guns and go easy on this one" only has merit in a series like SPD where they're bringing the character in and hinting at the idea of due process, and becomes meaningless when the monsters explode into a fireball anyway at the end of every episode. The villains are going to try and create newer and better monsters anyway.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As the writers can’t control when an Ultrazord does or doesn’t appear, their old writing served two purposes:

1. Explaining why the best equipment didn’t show up sometimes, particularly when adapting episodes out of order.
2. Another thing with the PSAs for Saban to convince the 90s culture war Democrats that the show was teaching kids discipline.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Reminds me of how there is SOMETIMES stuff in Voltron about "Voltron is only for defending and not attacking" but uh...yeah.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Light Gun Man posted:

Reminds me of how there is SOMETIMES stuff in Voltron about "Voltron is only for defending and not attacking" but uh...yeah.
Voltron is the DEFENDER of Princess Alura and...

oh hold on gotta slice and dice this giant space monster
*guts get everywhere after monster is vivisected*

and... oh yeah, he's the PROTECTOR OF PEACE!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I never understood why they had to protect their secret identities so hard when every evil villain in the Galaxy knows who they really are and where they live.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

JT Smiley posted:

I never understood why they had to protect their secret identities so hard when every evil villain in the Galaxy knows who they really are and where they live.

There was also an old episode where Baboo and/or Squat was just creeping on Kimberly right outside her bedroom window at like 7am. At that point you might as well just drop the pretense if monsters are just showing up to your house

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

But don't you see? That would make them FAMOUS and getting esteem or glory for your selfless protection of the community is *bad*.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I remember an early episode of Lightspeed Rescue where Kelsey gets a new astronaut girlfriend, and she's publically a power ranger but her girlfriend didn't recognize her. Then at the end she takes off her helmet and is like "Woah you're a power ranger?" "Woah you're an astronaut?" :krad:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

JT Smiley posted:

Zordon clearly didn't quite understand the point of secret identities. If every enemy knows it, then there's no point to it, but the Power Rangers hide it from the people they shouldn't and don't hide it from the people they should. At least in the comic they genuinely did try to stop Rita from knowing, and it was treated as a big deal that she learned who they were, even if it happened really early in their career.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I remember an early episode of Lightspeed Rescue where Kelsey gets a new astronaut girlfriend, and she's publically a power ranger but her girlfriend didn't recognize her. Then at the end she takes off her helmet and is like "Woah you're a power ranger?" "Woah you're an astronaut?" :krad:

Which is funny compared to how it happened in GoGo V, where the girl astronaut immediately recognized Green from his voice(as they were childhood friends), and would be a recurring presence in the show(even briefly gaining powers in the non crossover movie GoGo V had that didn't get adapted for Power Rangers)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

90s culture war Democrats
It's weird that despite right-wingers leading almost all of the censorship movements for religious reasons, people have taken positions Tipper Gore and Hilary Clinton took in the 90s and used them to hang the censorship of art at democrats' feet to this day, as if the democratic party gives a single gently caress about boobies in a prestige drama or whatever.

It's only censorship when lefties complain about art. Not when right-wingers try to actually censor it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

LividLiquid posted:

It's only censorship when lefties complain about art. Not when right-wingers try to actually censor it.

There’s two things here you’re missing:

Fact 1. Saban is a die-hard Clintonite. He gives much less of a gently caress what the GOP thinks.

Fact 2. The Parents Television Council, with Joe Lieberman as it’s champion in power, was the staunch critic of violence in television through the 90s. That does not preclude the Republicans having their own cultural agenda.

That I omitted the right wing doesn’t mean they don’t have a position, it just wasn’t relative at the time. And I’m not saying the culture war focusing on violence in children’s media wasn’t warranted (they were selling Terminator 2 figures to boys at one point), just that it’s a culture war issue. To me, “the culture war” is a never ending thing between the political camps and their hang ups on media.

Hence, the PTC is ultimately a conservative organization, but if Saban wanted to get Lieberman off his back, he needed Clinton, not Republicans.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 23, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

No, he needed the ability to morph and e-venn up theeeeee scorrre.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, the sixth ranger is a cop?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All cops are bots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

gently caress the Blue Senturion