Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Troxartas posted:

This reminded me because I saw them at Mercury Lounge a few years ago, check out The Snails, it's a side project of Sam and William from Future Islands and some of their Baltimore music friends.
Super reductive pitch: it's Future Islands with a Sax instead of synth and all the songs are about being a snail

yeah!!! I saw The Snails at Baby's All Right, they were a blast. tea leaves is one of my most-listened songs of the last few years https://thesnailsbaltimore.bandcamp.com/track/tea-leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've said their name a bunch in the past day, but holy hell was Amyl and the Sniffers a fun rear end show. Highly recommended if they come to your town.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

DasNeonLicht posted:

I saw them live last week. They put on a great show. They sold out a small venue in DC to a crowd that knew nearly all the words to their choruses and many of the verses and middle eights. It was quite an atmosphere for someone liked them but didn't have a sense of just how big they would be. It was a really cool experience.

Thank you to forums poster plz dont pull out for the recommendation back in April. I've really been enjoying their album. I admire the guts it takes to put out a 50-minute pop album, and they should be very proud — I think it really flows.

I'm glad I had the chance to get her autograph back in 2014. Seems like it would be a difficult thing to do today :smugdog:

Ey no prob! Glad to hear you looked em and that they've been blowing up. The two singles they've released recently are pretty good too.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Spencer Krug is putting out a Moonface album next month and here's a track

I'm a sucker for this stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1049426795525787648

:bisonyes:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
He’s going to gently caress it up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

CHVRCHES is amazing live. Just, gently caress. So good.

I just saw them in Milwaukee last Thursday, they kicked rear end. Totally worth driving an hour and a half each way on a work night (no, really, I would absolutely do it again)

Also, speaking of CHVRCHES, new video for Graffiti:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDSVLQoPc8w

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

I just saw them in Milwaukee last Thursday, they kicked rear end. Totally worth driving an hour and a half each way on a work night (no, really, I would absolutely do it again)

Also, speaking of CHVRCHES, new video for Graffiti:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDSVLQoPc8w

Graffiti is my favourite song off their new album and I was having a bad day, so you just improved it. Thank you!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

abraham linksys posted:

yeah!!! I saw The Snails at Baby's All Right, they were a blast. tea leaves is one of my most-listened songs of the last few years https://thesnailsbaltimore.bandcamp.com/track/tea-leaves

I was there too!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news/ladytron_officially_announce_first_new_album_in_seven_years/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jaYJx7yeI

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
So the Smashing Pumpkins have a new single out and its actually....really good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSb9YSr38u8

Saw FM-84 last night. I'd listened to their stuff on Spotify and mentally categorized them as yet another unremarkable, same-soundy, synthwave act but they were actually great live and their stuff sounded much better. Ended up picking up a signed vinyl album.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^wow that's the first good SP song in like 17-18 years

saw car seat headrest on saturday night, naked giants opened for them and played with them during the entire set too...awesome show, best show i've seen in a couple years tbh

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Man, I saw Ben Howard this past week and it was... disappointing. I'm not a huge fan of the new album, but hoped that it would translate better live. Well, it didn't, and the only two older tracks played (Small Things, Evergreen) didn't sound as good as they did on record. It's cool that he doesn't care to conform as to what people are expecting from him, but his creative choices just did not work this time unlike the I Forgot Where We Were tour which was amazing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BraveUlysses posted:

saw car seat headrest on saturday night, naked giants opened for them and played with them during the entire set too...awesome show, best show i've seen in a couple years tbh

my friend was blocked by Car Seat Headrest on twitter. they saw the band at a festival and tweeted something really benign like "this car seat headrest band really doesn't do it for me". the tweet didn't even tag the band's account or anything, so they must have gone searching to find everyone who mentioned them, and then blocked my friend out of spite :lol:

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my friend was blocked by Car Seat Headrest on twitter. they saw the band at a festival and tweeted something really benign like "this car seat headrest band really doesn't do it for me". the tweet didn't even tag the band's account or anything, so they must have gone searching to find everyone who mentioned them, and then blocked my friend out of spite :lol:

Lmao Will Toledo is just a butthurt dude. Remember his whole raging schtick against's Sufjan's Carrie and Lowell that seemed to appear out of sheer envy?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Crosspost from the Chicago thread:

I know a guy that's got a couple of tickets for the Courtney Barnett/Wax show coming up at the Riv tomorrow.

Probably face value?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Just saw Charly Bliss open for Death Cab (literally just went for CB) and gently caress I love this band so much.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

Just saw Charly Bliss open for Death Cab (literally just went for CB) and gently caress I love this band so much.

I've seen a fair amount of really good shows this year, but nothing has topped their show when I saw them back in May. Their music translates to live shows so well.

Clam Down, I am seeing Dear Rouge again this weekend! It's in some total poo poo heap garbage bar without a real stage, but drat it I know they still make it a good show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I don't know if any of y'all listen to KEXP's Song of the Day podcast, but I do every day and today they turned me on to Muncie Girls by having this as the song today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pePUvdLPwNE

I'm listening to the whole album now and it's so loving good. I'm glad the weather's getting nicer here because this is exactly the type of album I would blast with the windows down while driving.

They kinda remind me of a more upbeat Pity Sex, if you're into them.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Their previous album is really great, too. From Caplan

I was thinking of going to see them in Nov but it's the day after the Orb show.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I don't know if any of y'all listen to KEXP's Song of the Day podcast, but I do every day and today they turned me on to Muncie Girls by having this as the song today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pePUvdLPwNE

I'm listening to the whole album now and it's so loving good. I'm glad the weather's getting nicer here because this is exactly the type of album I would blast with the windows down while driving.

They kinda remind me of a more upbeat Pity Sex, if you're into them.

the Current (station in Minnesota) has a song of the day too, if you'd like another hipster song per day haha

https://www.thecurrent.org/collection/song-of-the-day

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

It's just been pointed out to me that today is the thirtieth anniversary of Daydream Nation's release. That makes me feel really loving old (because I was there, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan), but it really is an awesome album. I'm listening to it right now for the first time in a while, everyone should do the same.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Albinator posted:

It's just been pointed out to me that today is the thirtieth anniversary of Daydream Nation's release. That makes me feel really loving old (because I was there, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan), but it really is an awesome album. I'm listening to it right now for the first time in a while, everyone should do the same.
:stare:

I think I listened to it for the first time like 12 years ago? And even that feels forever ago. 30 years, goddamn.

It's absolutely a classic and still holds up today. That guitar work is nuts and I feel like I find something new to love about it every time I hear it.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
is this the thread where we talk about Kurt Vile because his latest album, Bottle It In, is real real good. Top tracks for me are Come Again and Check Baby.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Tangerine released a new ep (White Dove) and it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmH5CXR4-L0

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

captainOrbital posted:

I know a guy that's got a couple of tickets for the Courtney Barnett/Wax show coming up at the Riv tomorrow.

She loving shreds. As usual

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
New cloud nothings album is out and I'm very excited to hear it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Minus the Bear EP is out too, and I'm excited to listen to it but also really sad about it being their final release :smithicide:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Thom and the Heads posted:

Finally. I'm excited to see them and the Courtneys when they come to town.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Thom and the Heads posted:

I'm really liking it so far but the mixing / mastering kinda sucks - very muffled and flat, to a distracting degree

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

captainOrbital posted:

Finally. I'm excited to see them and the Courtneys when they come to town.

fuckin same. i saw them play bonnaroo in 2014 and they played the best set i saw there. they played like a 10 minute version of no future no past with lots of jamming. It was incredible.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Admiral Bosch posted:

is this the thread where we talk about Kurt Vile because his latest album, Bottle It In, is real real good. Top tracks for me are Come Again and Check Baby.

It is very good and I’m psyched to see him again next month

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Anonymous John posted:

Lmao Will Toledo is just a butthurt dude. Remember his whole raging schtick against's Sufjan's Carrie and Lowell that seemed to appear out of sheer envy?

Couple things,

Car Seat Headrest loving owns, I really hope to see them live.

Carrie and Lowell is an amazing album, and its really hard to listen to, but so good.

Can't believe Corgan released a good song under the Smashing Pumpkins label in this day and age, but I'm happy. One of the first concerts I ever saw was Zwan and even though they kinda sucked Corgan was great live.

Just found out my girlfriends dad (who passed away) was best friends with Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore. they were both at his funeral and that just blows my mind.

Also my buddy who I've recommended here before (cautious Clay) is currently working with John Mayer and Seal and that also blows my drat mind.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm really liking it so far but the mixing / mastering kinda sucks - very muffled and flat, to a distracting degree

I noticed this too. Huh.

"Offer An End" loving plows though

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Goddamn this is one sick electro tune.

Will Butler vs. The Knocks - Sun Comes Up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76IcaO6b3A4

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

kidcoelacanth posted:

At The Anthem in DC? I unfortunately showed up too late to see CB, but at least Death Cab put on an amazing set and even called us the best show of the tour.

bows1 posted:

Car Seat Headrest loving owns, I really hope to see them live.

I never bother listen to them at home but I saw them last year at a festival and they're super solid live, so you'll definitely dig them in concert.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Clam Down, I saw Dear Rouge tonight again, and oh my loving god they were incredible. Total dive bar with a window behind the stage and a bright rear end Tim Hortons sign blaring in from 15 feet away, super Canadian.

I am still buzzing after seeing them, and I don't get that too often anymore. Any other goons have a change to see them, do it, you will not be disappointed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

Clam Down, I saw Dear Rouge tonight again, and oh my loving god they were incredible. Total dive bar with a window behind the stage and a bright rear end Tim Hortons sign blaring in from 15 feet away, super Canadian.

I am still buzzing after seeing them, and I don't get that too often anymore. Any other goons have a change to see them, do it, you will not be disappointed.

ahhhhh I can't wait, I'm seeing them Nov 9. Youngblood Blonde Diamond is opening for them, it's going to be an amazing night.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

l've listened to Phases so much the past two days. I still can't get over how good Dear Rouge was, and meeting them afterward to talk made me realize what great people they are too. They are so deserving of making it big.

Still some time left in the year, but DR and Charly Bliss have loving blown me away this year. Not just this year, but two of the better shows I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

ive had it on heavy rotation and i agree about the mixing. super flat - it's jarring coming from their previous albums but it sounds better the louder i play it. im liking it a lot.