Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

In Training posted:

Anyway, my bitching aside. I was playing this today and thinking it's kinda sad that after year end we'll never see a major update again, at least as they've currently stated (they've changed their tune in the past before with the introduction of paid expansion). So I was thinking, what would all like to see in the inevitable Splatoon 3? It may not be a Switch game, but Splatoon is enough of a brand at this point that it will be on whatever Nintendo puts out for the foreseeable future. Beyond obvious stuff like expanded salmon run maps and new multiplayer maps, what's your dream addition? I've always thought a FFA mode would be fuckin cool in these maps, if they figured out a way to tweak the spawn mechanics for the mode to make that possible without spawn camping problems.

How about co-op story missions? Imagine Octo Expansion but with a buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

In Training posted:

Anyway, my bitching aside. I was playing this today and thinking it's kinda sad that after year end we'll never see a major update again, at least as they've currently stated (they've changed their tune in the past before with the introduction of paid expansion). So I was thinking, what would all like to see in the inevitable Splatoon 3? It may not be a Switch game, but Splatoon is enough of a brand at this point that it will be on whatever Nintendo puts out for the foreseeable future. Beyond obvious stuff like expanded salmon run maps and new multiplayer maps, what's your dream addition? I've always thought a FFA mode would be fuckin cool in these maps, if they figured out a way to tweak the spawn mechanics for the mode to make that possible without spawn camping problems.

A base campaign that's on the level of Octo Expansion, since OE proved that interesting things can be done with a single player campaign with Splatoon's gameplay.

Aside from that, I dunno. Most of the things I would want in Splatoon 3 would basically just be better things on the technical side. Like better netcode and such. And be better at getting information across to players. The one thing I really hate about the series is how bad it's at telling players even basic information about stuff. (Such as how weapons in Salmon Run can behave differently to the ones in multiplayer, and in the case of the Dynamo, very differently.) The game doesn't even tell you about what weight class a weapon is in.

LethalGeek posted:

I'd more ask how inking and travel would work in ffa mode. Everything would basically be hostile.

I can't think of much I'd want out of Splatoon 3 on the Switch 2.

Yeah, if it's still like 8 players, you'd spend way more time shooting than swimming, since only about one eighth of the map would be covered in your color on average. Might work with like 4 players or so?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

LethalGeek posted:

I'd more ask how inking and travel would work in ffa mode. Everything would basically be hostile.

I can't think of much I'd want out of Splatoon 3 on the Switch 2.

I had an idea for an FFA mode (or maybe 2v2v2v2) where everyone is the same color ink and your weapon has two modes, shooting ink and shooting water. When you're in water mode, your shots clean ink on the ground (like Mario Sunshine) and damages other players, and in ink mode you create ink on the ground but your shots don't effect other squids/octos. That way it'd keep the strategy Splatoon has for controlling territory to increase your movement and deny opponent movement while avoiding being a cluster of 8 different colors.

Maybe this could even scale up to Battle Royale player sizes :unsmigghh:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was thinking that FFA or a hypothetical battle royale mode (yikes) would make it so that everyone has distinct ink, but your ink appears one colour (say blue) and all ink belonging to all enemies appears on your screen as another single colour (say red or orange). That way you know what ink is yours and what ink is not yours, but the map won't be a clusterfuck and you won't be able to tell if an enemy is sneaking up on you through a different enemy's ink.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Splatoon MMO is obviously the way to go. Phantasy Squid Online.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want the single player for Splatoon 3 to be open world. I love how huge and detailed the backgrounds can be so let us roam around in there.:)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I'm an outlier bc I much prefer levels to a open space.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

In Training posted:

I am generally too and I’m not even a big fan of open world games but I think it could be interesting with a Splatoon game.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:ghost: Splatfest schedules :ghost:

• US/AU/NZ Trick or Treat @ October 19th 15:00 PT / October 20th 9:00 AET
  • EU Trick or Treat @ October 19th 16:00 CET
  • JP Torikku or Toriito @ October 19th 17:00 JT
:ghost: This particular Splatfest lasts for 48 hours. :ghost:

Hallowe'en: That time of year where you are allowed to take candy from strangers.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 15, 2018

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Main thing I would be interested in would be new multiplayer modes in the same vein as Salmon Run. A race mode could be pretty cool for more platforming action in multiplayer. Maybe a big new feature could be some sort of 4v1 tower defense/level creator mode where one player is a boss octoling that has a player created stage with placed enemies and traps, and the boss octoling can super-jump throughout the stage at will to attack the other players trying to get through the stage.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Dude, yes, pants.

Also maybe more detailed information about other players on their info screen. It's super dumb that it only shows one of the ranked mode ranks of whoever you are looking at, and I guess it would be kind of nice if they showed someone's most used weapon. Maybe like, their top three?

Also also, make Splatfest more like ARMSfest. The recent changes were all definitely good changes, but it doesn't stop the fact that besides a Shifty Station, it's essentially just a matchmaking hell 24 hour turf wars sessions. ARMSfest packs in 15 minute intervals of nice switch up gimmicks to breathe some excitement into what is otherwise just doing pretty much the same thing for a long arse time. On top of that, it pretty much lets you play as who you want and whatever ARMS you prefer, but it gives you point bonuses for trying specific weapons you may not be overly used to, for playing characters you may not have touched otherwise and for playing well. Splatfests are visually cool, but are kind of boring and grindy, so i'd be all for making them as exciting to play as they look.

Also also also, separate main abilities from being tied to fashion. Splatnet has made great strides in letting you look as fresh as you want while you are fighting your best, but they should implement some sort of main chunk system. Make them harder rewards from S3 Salmon run, or a reward you can earn in Splatfests for staying past hitting Queen/King, or something.

Also also also also, maybe don't tie weapon aesthetics to specific weapon kits? I really dig the look of the Kensa Splat roller with the gear I wear, but Splat bombs don't do a whole lot for my playstyle and bubbler does even less. I'd be fine if they, say let you buy a weapon and then pay more to put a similar weapons kit on it. Like being able to put to Splat roller kit on over a Kensa Splat roller.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 14, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Crawfish posted:

Also also also also, maybe don't tie weapon aesthetics to specific weapon kits? I really dig the look of the Kensa Splat roller with the gear I wear, but Splat bombs don't do a whole lot for my playstyle and bubbler does even less. I'd be fine if they, say let you buy a weapon and then pay more to put a similar weapons kit on it. Like being able to put to Splat roller kit on over a Kensa Splat roller.

I doubt they'll change that. Nintendo likely wants to keep weapons identifiable so players know what kits their teammates and opponents have. The fact that Hero Roller looks like the Carbon Roller was a complaint quite a few players had since they could confuse the two weapons easily.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

That's really silly though, since so many of the second variants look exactly the same. In the heat of the battle, you already aren't going to be able to tell the difference between whether an opponent is coming at you with a splat roller or a krak-on roller until they do something.

I will change my initial stance to keeping it between a weapon and it's variants though I guess. Since that's more realistically what I was getting at, but worded poorly.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Crawfish posted:

That's really silly though, since so many of the second variants look exactly the same. In the heat of the battle, you already aren't going to be able to tell the difference between whether an opponent is coming at you with a splat roller or a krak-on roller until they do something.

I will change my initial stance to keeping it between a weapon and it's variants though I guess. Since that's more realistically what I was getting at, but worded poorly.

There is a world of difference between a carbon roller and a splat roller.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah you need that stuff to be identifiable visually. Gear and abilities not so much, although I have learned to spot which vests are the most common ninja squid pieces (that yellow puffy vest is everywhere)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Roadie posted:

Splatoon MMO is obviously the way to go. Phantasy Squid Online.

Unironically I would play the poo poo out of "what if Destiny, but instead Splatoon." Like have an MMO-lite co-op mode with explorable zones that have no need to be even remotely realistic so you can do crazy things with them. Add gear with skills to PvE like the multiplayer game has. Maybe add some random perks to weapons that are PvE-only and encourage you to go hunt out different kinds of weapons. You could decouple sub weapons and specials from the main weapon in PvE so they can become skills you unlock through whatever progression system there is.

Mostly I just want to see how Nintendo would design a Splatoon dungeon or raid. With the already really unique mechanics the game already has I bet it would be really creative and fun.

In Training posted:

I do think a game like Splatoon really does need handcrafted levels, even if it has an open-world explorable aspect to it. When I think of this weird hypothetical MMO-lite Splatoon I'm imagining the open world more like a hub through which you access levels and a place to run into other people to play with rather than the main point of the game itself. The Octo Canyon and Octo Expansion levels are so good and they can only really be like that because they're these little self-contained fun boxes.

Though one reason why a Splatoon pseudo-MMO might not be able to work is because a lot of the best Splatoon single-player levels are designed around one or two specific weapon sets. If you had total freedom in designing your loadout for each level (or if each level had to be designed to work with either one player or multiple players) I don't think the game could have the really tight and clever design we'd want.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This Shifty Station's gimmick is...

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1052848333729845248

Grind rails! Finally got those at last!

Interesting thing to note is that parts of the grind rails goes behind cover to make you a bit less of an open target.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 18, 2018

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Splatoween Splatfest is closing in fast, so be prepared. (See my Splatfest schedule in this page for accurate times.)

:ghost: Remember to check the Squid Research Lab Bulletin in your Switch News Channel for the Splatoween article. The article in question has a button that gives you Splatoween themed head gear to make the event extra spoopy. Available for a limited time only. :ghost:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

GET SPOOKY LADS SPLATOWEEN HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN!!

:ghost:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The square is soooooo cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've also never been on such a lopsidedly bad team as Team Treat. It's always anecdotal but good lord I've played 5 matches in a row where my three teammates combined for 0-2 kills.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
splatoween is very good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The rail map is awesome, especially bc nobody is checking before they hop on and you can pick off people so easy

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

Using the Jason mask while using the brush just seems so right.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SecretSquirrel posted:

Using the Jason mask while using the brush just seems so right.

I love how it’s glow in the dark.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

its tentacle difficulties at grizzco and mr grizzs personal weapon for this rotation is the charger

i kind of flip flop between this and the slosher but you know what i think i like the charger more its just way more versatile

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I hope one day all Shifty Stations will be regularly available. They're really good.

Though I've played with some terrible players who run around inking their area, without realizing the trick is controlling that central platform and expanding from there. I had some good moments dominating it, but with no one backing me up I'd get bum-rushed, we'd lose it and then get invaded. They'd never take advantage of my moments of control to push ahead, and if I went on my own I lost the platform and would lose anything I'd have inked.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

God I wish we got more events like this. The plaza looks amazing, the horror movie filter is awesome, the costume gear is great. Splatoween best Splatfest.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

God I wish we got more events like this. The plaza looks amazing, the horror movie filter is awesome, the costume gear is great. Splatoween best Splatfest.

I really want a Christmas Splatfest now with the square dressed up for it.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Can we keep Pearl wearing black for the rest of the game's life?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ZeButler posted:

Can we keep Pearl wearing black for the rest of the game's life?

She is the perfect Halloween goblin.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I thought I was seeing things the first few times the filter showed up. It's the best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

She is the perfect Halloween goblin.

Thought more of a Wednesday Addams thing going on.

Finally, my spiderweb boots are fitting for the occasion.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The pulsating ink is a little weird, but yeah, they went above and beyond what I was expecting for this event splatfest.

It's nice and bums me out a little that the game is almost at the end of its post launch support period.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Hey, you! Are you someone who wishes they could play splatfests with goons? Join the dang discord, and just say "hey, I'm gonna play" or something.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Can the booya bomb be thrown instantly? I had someone on the other team on the middle platform of this shifty station that any time I got close to them pretty much instantly they’d throw a booya bomb at their feet no jump up or hang in the air at all

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Can the booya bomb be thrown instantly? I had someone on the other team on the middle platform of this shifty station that any time I got close to them pretty much instantly they’d throw a booya bomb at their feet no jump up or hang in the air at all

Not to my knowledge, it requires a (short) charge time before the game let's you throw it. Either they're fast with the charging or it's just lag.

In other stuff: If you're not participating in this Splatfest, then what are you doing?

https://twitter.com/rxrm80/status/1053763535296126976

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

haven't played splatoon for a while but wanted to come check out halloween. cracked open my wallet and personally gave reggie $20 so i could play online. don't know why i did because i got disconnected from 100% of the games i tried to play, so much so that the game warned me i got disconnected too much and said it was going to punish me :thumbsup:

great network, good work nintendo, glad my money is going to good use

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Kaubocks posted:

haven't played splatoon for a while but wanted to come check out halloween. cracked open my wallet and personally gave reggie $20 so i could play online. don't know why i did because i got disconnected from 100% of the games i tried to play, so much so that the game warned me i got disconnected too much and said it was going to punish me :thumbsup:

great network, good work nintendo, glad my money is going to good use

Just curious, does this happen with other online games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Just curious, does this happen with other online games?

unfortunately splatoon is the only online switch game i have so i can't verify if this is happening on other games on the platform at this very moment. however, in the year of on and off play i've put into splatoon i can honestly say i got disconnected more today than i have in probably the past year, at least by my memory; and nothing has changed about my setup.

online games on pc, 3ds, and phone have been working fine in the meanwhile