Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

I like this host segment in conjunction with his review of Sphere in Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese, which is mostly about high-end early adopters of DVDs and how over the top their "home theater" systems often were (the review frames it in the context of what you need to do to get the most out of Sphere on DVD, including re-building your home's foundation with a built-in 10,000 watt subwoofer among other things). Mike clearly knew people who were way too obsessed with their home media setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I think my favorite host segment is still the Mighty Jack dog food commercial shoot, Crow working with the little puppet is almost as lovely as whenever he catches on fire.
Second favorite (and really only because it's an ending sequence) is gonna be the Jet Jaguar fight song. Perfection

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This is still the best host segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMspcxr1Vi8

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My favorite remains Previously on Satellite of Love.

"Don't make me shoot you! ...CROOOOOOOOOWWWW!!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fools, Godzilla VS Megalon has one thing yet greater than a simple Jet Jaguar Fight Song OR any other thing you could mention

Even Rex Dart!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4eR-uZTJZ8

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Burkion posted:

Fools, Godzilla VS Megalon has one thing yet greater than a simple Jet Jaguar Fight Song OR any other thing you could mention

Even Rex Dart!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4eR-uZTJZ8

And remember, Orville Popcorn was this episode too.

Godzilla vs Megalon really is an all-time great.

Edit: oh your YouTube link is the popcorn sketch. I assumed it was gonna be Rex Dart: Eskimo Spy.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 20, 2018

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

All this talk of songs and no mention of "Where, Oh Werewolf?"

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Favorite host segment will always be Joel and the Bots discussing the nature of hell from Eegah.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hogama posted:

A Joke by Ingmar Bergman was art.

I'm also a fan of the Good Natured Brawling skit.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Sacka monkeys in ma pocket

My sister's ready to go

Idiot control now

Edit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UH_Tr6SgGo

Dixville fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 20, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Watched Starcrash tonight for the first time and that was definitely an experience

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The skit from Girl in Gold Boots where Mike parodied the song bit while Crow showed up in the visions was fun.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's a host segment where - I think - Tom abruptly runs Crow down in a car and it made me laugh so hard I almost hurt myself.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I'm the guy who loves the "A Joke by Ingmar Bergman" sketch. Every time.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
I also like the bits where Joel tries to teach the Bots a life lesson or have them help him with a skit based off of something in the movie, and fails miserably. Like the segment where Joel's playing Colossal Man and the Bots don't remotely take him seriously, or when they mess up his "broom closet malt shop" bit from The Giant Gila Monster.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

when they mess up his "broom closet malt shop" bit from The Giant Gila Monster.

Hey, Stupid-Jerk

Guuys... I'm a Soda-Jerk

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lord Hydronium posted:

All this talk of songs and no mention of "Where, Oh Werewolf?"

I don't know. You had him last.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

The skit from Girl in Gold Boots where Mike parodied the song bit while Crow showed up in the visions was fun.

That also has a favorite, where Crow flaunts he's a sexual being in front of Mike.

While it is dumb Sci-Fi forced MST to do 'story arcs' it did give us 'Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds' which was great.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Another one I've always loved, just for sheer absurdity:

Aaron Spelling's house.

"I feel so insignificant."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
When asked if people would get the jokes they made, Joel replied that the right people would get them.

Two examples for me (having grown up listening to AM rock radio in the early 70s) were Joel made a reference to the song "Timothy" (a song about cannibalism). Joel first tried to say that Timothy was a duck - a reference to the record company trying to make people believe Timothy was a mule. Joel then said that some songwriters would come up with songs about current or popular trends, to which Tom asked when was cannibalism a popular trend.

Another was a host segment where Joel and the Bots tried to figure out how many people were in the band "Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds" since, without seeing the name in print, the average person would not be able to tell.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Another great one: the parody of Thayer's entrance in Operation Double 007.

:mad: "Joel, you're ruining it for me!"
:smug: "I know."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Keromaru5 posted:

Another one I've always loved, just for sheer absurdity:

Aaron Spelling's house.

"I feel so insignificant."

That became even more hilarious when I actually saw the thing, which is this sort of giant monstrosity.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ANY joke about how nerdy Doctor Who is, super appreciated and beloved even with Who's giant revival

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
"This is just like Citizen Kane!"

"Yeah, except it's not very good."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

no, THIS is the best host segment of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsA0YeOPXI8

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I also like the bits where Joel tries to teach the Bots a life lesson or have them help him with a skit based off of something in the movie, and fails miserably. Like the segment where Joel's playing Colossal Man and the Bots don't remotely take him seriously, or when they mess up his "broom closet malt shop" bit from The Giant Gila Monster.

Some fans call those failed sketches, where someone wants to do a sketch but someone else refuses or deliberately messes it up. It's interesting that sometimes the host segments are supposed to show whatever they're doing when they aren't watching the movie, but sometimes they really are supposed to be putting on a performance for the audience. Multilayered....

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

no, THIS is the best host segment of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsA0YeOPXI8

It also gave us (one of) the show's best outtakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvXE7VI2Dg

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't know. You had him last.

This is still probably my favorite MST3K riff. I just love how angry Crow gets at it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And then completely flip-flops when Mike says it's pretty funny. It's great.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The only host segment I actually disliked was Joey the Lemur

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

SirPhoebos posted:

That reminds me: as a fan of classic Trek, all of the "Mirror SOL/Deep 13" segments during Last of the Wild Horses were pretty great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That reminds me: as a fan of classic Trek, all of the "Mirror SOL/Deep 13" segments during Last of the Wild Horses were pretty great.

Yeah. The episode itself is something I honestly couldn't tell you much about - it's a pretty bog standard western from what I can recall, without even Gunslinger's artlessness to it - but that alone makes it worth watching.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

*women wrestle*

"When Ed Wood saw this, it was like when Truffaut saw Citizen Kane"

Also, going to The Brain tonight in Atlanta.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

SirPhoebos posted:

It's completely nonsensical, Joel flubs his lines multiple times, it's placed in the episode before the thing it's even referencing, and the animal in the movie isn't a lemur—it's a kinkajou. I can't help but love it just for the sheer absurdity.

Funny or Not Funny Floating from Rocketship X-M (shown again in Hellcats) was my favorite host segment when I was a kid, and might still be.

"Uhh... you keep meat in this."
"Your mouth?"
*ding*

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I think the host segment that made me laugh the most was "Hike your pants up" from Daddy-O because I was waiting for the joke for so long and they didn't make it until the segment.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Egbert Souse posted:

*women wrestle*

"When Ed Wood saw this, it was like when Truffaut saw Citizen Kane"

"This movie is refreshingly itself."

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, going to The Brain tonight in Atlanta.

Same; wish I had the spare cash to do both shows. Oh well.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
If you guys are looking for a BOLD host segment, look no further than Cowboy Mike's Ricochet BBQ Sauce. This clip is unsafe for human consumption! (hat flies off)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Fm7Dkc5Ag

I saw both the Orlando shows last night and had a blast. I was pretty surprised that both shows had a completely different setup to them. The Brain had more host breaks so they could tally up the segment's riff points for both Jonah vs Joel which was fun and made the show pretty engaging, but the constant applause was just exhausting! That's right, sitting in a chair and having to clap and cheer every 10 seconds was just too much for me. Deathstalker 2 was a riff more in line with how the show feels, but doing a QA segment in the middle of it didn't feel right. That said, one of my two longest laughs came from Crow dodging a question by saying something like "Let me see if I can remember how Joel explained it to me..." and getting Joel to answer the question from off stage, relating it as Crow's memory and switching back and forth between first person and third person then closing with "oops and all of that was supposed to be in Crow's voice".

Oh man there were just so many good parts to both shows. A+++ would recommend. I think the Deathstalker riff was a little funnier, but The Brain show was overall funnier with the format being a little looser. I *had* to go to both shows, because WTF $25 just to park at the Hard Rock (and a 3 hour round trip from Tampa), you'd be losing money going to just one show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rollersnake posted:

it's placed in the episode before the thing it's even referencing

They do this ALL THE TIME and I've never understood why or how

THey'll do a skit that makes NO sense unless you already know what the movie is or have seen the episode before. I love it a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The crown of course going to the segment they did that's a direct riff on A Case of Spring Fever...years before they actually did A Case of Spring Fever.