Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Synthbuttrange posted:

amazing platformer Eroico is now on Steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksnJfW5e4VA

thatsbait.gif

edited for actual content: Picked up Settlements today and the next thing i know 5 hours have gone bye.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's the future of VR gaming, by the way. All games are going to have to account for the fact that the player may just want to take a lil break to gently caress someone or something, and then carry on as usual.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kanfy posted:

I don't know what Stellaris you played, but it was more like 80% of the unnecessary busywork. Stellaris devs have no qualms rebuilding systems from the ground up if they don't work, which is great.

I find Stellaris horribly boring, but I have to give kudos to Paradox for having no issues sacrificing their sacred cows. First Space Travel, now this.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Aw does that mean we're gonna lose the best thread title in Games?

E: Oh we already have. I knew this Halloween bullshit was awful.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Orv posted:

What was the title?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
:horse: The makers of Pony Island have a new game out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

What was the title?

It might have already changed before the Halloween changes but it was Stellaris 2.0: The Assassination of Warp Drive by the Coward Martin Anward.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Sad that when we finally get a 3d Tale of Wuxia, they lost interest in translating to English.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Orv posted:

Current plan is to return all halloween threads to what they were, in November, afaik.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

It might have already changed before the Halloween changes but it was Stellaris 2.0: The Assassination of Warp Drive by the Coward Martin Anward.

That is a good title.

dreadmojo posted:

Current plan is to return all halloween threads to what they were, in November, afaik.

Bummer, I like the spooky titles.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Is Obra Dinn like The Last Express?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So I signed up to this months Humble Monthly, if I only want this month when do I need to cancel? Or is it not auto-renewed?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zedd posted:

So I signed up to this months Humble Monthly, if I only want this month when do I need to cancel? Or is it not auto-renewed?

It does auto-renew, you can safely cancel it now and get the month's games. Be careful that it doesn't pause-a-month instead.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If you see lots of signs "Turn back!" or "Do this instead!" and "Here's $3 off the next month!" you're on the right way to cancelling the sub.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SelenicMartian posted:

If you see lots of signs "Turn back!" or "Do this instead!" and "Here's $3 off the next month!" you're on the right way to cancelling the sub.
Ah so like how It worked when quit wow. :v:
Edit: That is a lot of are you sure's. :stare:

Zedd fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 20, 2018

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Zedd posted:

Ah so like how It worked when quit wow. :v:
Edit: That is a lot of are you sure's. :stare:
When I woke up today I got an email that I thought said "subscribe for one month get 3 more and Kingdom Come Deliverance for free."
Later at work when I had time to read it in its entirety it turned out to actually say that they give KC:D for free if I get 3 months of monthly.
They are really desperate for more monthly subscribers.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I stopped buying the HB monthly when they started revealing more of the games in advance. I liked the surprise...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sininu posted:

When I woke up today I got an email that I thought said "subscribe for one month get 3 more and Kingdom Come Deliverance for free."
Later at work when I had time to read it in its entirety it turned out to actually say that they give KC:D for free if I get 3 months of monthly.
They are really desperate for more monthly subscribers.

Apparently that offer is also incredibly regional because they sent that email to me and then a "correction" that the offer doesn't apply to my region. In Canada which is unusual for being locked out of regions.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Not giving someone Kingdom Come is a favor to them anyway

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SelenicMartian posted:

Having missed the context this seemed oddly apropos for the Halloween themeing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Make sure you list Will of the Forsaken nerf as your reason for unsubscribing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Not giving someone Kingdom Come is a favor to them anyway

I hear a lot of the bugs have been fixed by now? Definitely getting it one of these days.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Is Obra Dinn like The Last Express?
No, there is no real time element like Last Express and most of the game is in flashback.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Phlegmish posted:

I hear a lot of the bugs have been fixed by now? Definitely getting it one of these days.

Yeah, now it's just a terrible game without funny glitches.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Even without the game breaking bugs KC:D suffers from an underwhelming delivery, tedious, repetitive systems, baffling combat (Skyrim has better archery by miles which is staggering) and, by all accounts, horrible DLC. On top of the creator being an utter shithead

It's a bad game and I really regret buying it at full price on launch day. It's sole redeeming quality is the historicity manifested in the flavor text which is really quite excellent

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Turns out devs can revoke your key if they don't like a review you wrote:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/game-developer-revokes-a-users-steam-key-after-negative-review.12787

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Today's game was recommended by a goon, graciously given by the developer, streamed last night, and turned out to be one the best experiences of the month thus far.

1. Little Nightmares
2. OK/NORMAL
3. Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn
4. Rise of Insanity
5. Paratopic
6. Rusty Lake Paradise
7. Cube Escape: Paradox
8. INFERNIUM
9. Dead Secret
10. All Haze Eve
11. Welcome to Hanwell
12. Gray Dawn
13. The Last Cargo
14. Observer
15. Dark Deception
16. Cultist Simulator
17. House of Evil
18. Nevermind
19. CONCLUSE

20. Sagebrush

Imagine driving out into the wilds of New Mexico, miles and miles from civilization, to an abandoned compound. Imagine arriving at dusk, picking your way through the crumbling fences, and poking around the dusty, moldering buildings. Imagine finding notes and keepsakes from the people who lived there, people who lost their lives there, and recalling their traumas as you stand alone in the still darkness of the desert. This is what Sagebrush challenges you to do, to walk these grim paths and face these terrible truths in abject solitude, accompanied only by the sprawling landscape and gentle creaks of the boards beneath your feet. And it does this so effectively that I can honestly say it was a more thought-provoking and horrific experience than most horror titles that try twice as hard.

In 1993, at the Black Sage Ranch in rural New Mexico, a mass suicide marked the end of the Perfect Heaven cult. Years later you have arrived alone, in an effort to make sense of this senseless act. The ranch remains untouched, allowing you to plumb the depths of the faith, the lives, and the doubts of the faithful. You’ll learn of their daily routines, their clandestine meetings, their shocking rituals, and the true nature of their leader. Only by following the trails of clues can you come to understand how they met their end, and how their final fate reaches far beyond that fateful day so many years ago.

To set you about your task, Sagebrush drops you by you car on the outskirts of the compound. With a few basic first-person adventure controls, you’ll find your way past the fence and into the abandoned homes and halls of the lost cultists. Here you’ll need to comb shelves and desks for all kinds of clues, from obvious ones like keys and tape recordings to more subtle ones like pamphlets and scriptures. The game does an excellent job of laying out a breadcrumb trail for you, because you’ll always know exactly where you’re heading next and what you find there will absolutely point you to the next stop on your grim tour.

And a grim tour it is, thanks to all its myriad parts working in perfect harmony. The lo-fi aesthetic really sets the tone in a big way, featuring warm, chunky pixels that evoke the rustic mystery of abandoned places while leaving plenty of room for your imagination to fill in the gap. There’s really no soundtrack, either, just plenty of unsettling ambient sounds like planks creaking and wind whistling that only grows more ominous the later it gets. The story makes the most of this atmosphere, too, dropping more and more indications of terrible misdeeds as the sun sets and the darkened buildings give up their secrets only in the glow of your little flashlight. That solitude I mentioned before becomes a powerful force as you progress, psyching you out when there’s really no reason to even suspect something afoot.

I really want to stress this point, because it’s what makes Sagebrush stand so far out from its peers. Late in the game there was a sequence in a claustrophobic area that had my hair standing on end. It was the kind of place where other indie horror games would hit you with a stinger or jumpscare, but without spoiling anything that actually happens here I will say that Sagebrush took no such cheap shots. And the end result was a persistent sense of dread, a feeling that this place I found myself in itself was the enemy, was the oppressive presence I feared, not some nebulous shadow man or loud noise. The end of the game only builds on this notion, with a sequence that took one of my most reviled tropes in modern horror gaming and turned it into something genuinely special and extremely effective.

By the end of Sagebrush, I was so impressed that I struggled to find fault with it. There were points where I didn’t follow the path quite so clearly and did some unnecessary wandering, and I did notice a bug or two with subtitles or texture clipping. But I struggle to recall those moments in light of the terrible revelations and dreadful places I visited, especially since so much of it happened in my own head. Sagebrush doesn’t jump out and scare you, it shows you something with horrific implications and lets you imagination paint the world with it. It creates a place where, by all accounts, you are safe, yet you spend your time studying the fears and traumas of people who died terrible, mysterious deaths. For my part that’s the best kind of horror, the kind that shows you something and lets you horrify yourself, and that’s what makes me put Sagebrush near the top of just about any indie horror list.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KCD seems eurojank as all hell which is very much my cup of tea

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Andrast posted:

KCD seems eurojank as all hell which is very much my cup of tea

I watched a youtube video of the last mission of the game and it looked so goddamned bad that it instantly severed any desire to get KCD

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I watched a youtube video of the last mission of the game and it looked so goddamned bad that it instantly severed any desire to get KCD

It's much, much, much better with small scale affairs, which is the majority of the game. Archery is a tad too difficult though - not impossible, but it just doesn't represent the difficulties of archery well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Well I mean if you wrote a negative review it looks like they're going you a favor in not letting you play the game you dislike :v:

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Too Shy Guy posted:

Today's game was recommended by a goon, graciously given by the developer, streamed last night, and turned out to be one the best experiences of the month thus far.

Sounds enticing - about how long did you spend with it?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Finished Unavowed. Sometimes finicky about the order you go around doing things (yes, I want to get to that thing up there, you should let me click the thing I want instead of the thing I have to climb to get it), but very little "adventure game logic", nice alternative pats, good plot and great characters and voice acting. Not so sure about the consequences of your actions really mattering, I'll have to give it another go.

It's really good.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Does anyone here own Groove Coaster? I was thinking about getting it since they released some Undertale songs for it, but then I saw that you have to be online every seven days in order to play it

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Albinator posted:

Sounds enticing - about how long did you spend with it?

I finished it right at the 2-hour mark, and the way it’s laid out I think most people will land about there too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Leal posted:

Well I mean if you wrote a negative review it looks like they're going you a favor in not letting you play the game you dislike :v:

That was literally their response.

quote:

Sorry about that, but I thought I you weren't interested in playing the game. I would have loved to get your feedback during the First Access but I didn't see anything from you until the Steam review, which was a little confusing. I really don't see how you saw enough of the current version of the game to make the judgement call you did there since we made massive changes in the last few months that were all just on Steam.

I can get you another key if you are interested in playing more and perhaps providing some feedback on how we can improve the game.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Urban Empire.. Avoid at all costs.
Thanks, that one is just coming down to deep sales and I've been tempted but something seemed too off about it, even for a cheapo Kalypso game.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Just finished Return of the Obra Dinn. It took me a bit under seven hours, start to finish. If you like mystery games and deduction, the back half of this game is basically one big satisfying logic puzzle. It's excellent.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Leal posted:

Had they refunded them I might see the point, otherwise that's just being petty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I like the passive-aggressive "if you didn't like the game, why didn't you say so back when it was in EA?" factor too.