Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Zand posted:

yes hardware macros are cheating as they remove the (small) margin of error

but I don't think anyone cares anymore, socd cleaning is considered "good" now even though it's something that cleans and adjusts your inputs and you can do weird poo poo with it. also software macros used to be banned too but that's changed a lot.

I'm one of those weirdos who thinks SOCD cleaning is bullshit albeit well-intentioned.
But without SOCD cleaning you have bigger issues in older games.

Ergo, burn all hitboxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

whats socd cleaning

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

b_d posted:

whats socd cleaning

It cuts out inputs that conflict. So you cant hold back and forward at once

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I started reading some opinions about it and it sounds tricky. allowing opposite inputs is obviously bad since you can’t count on games to handle them well. left+right = neutral (socd cleaning) sounds good but I guess it lets you do stuff like dashes easier? and apparently other ways of breaking ties might make charge moves easier? I dunno. doesn’t seem like a big deal, but to be safe, I think if you ever put in conflicting directions your hitbox should “break” and stop sending inputs until you unplug it and plug it back in.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

b_d posted:

whats socd cleaning

Hitboxes in their simplest form would just be a button per directional (cardinal direction) inputs, meaning there's nothing preventing you from holding left and right at the same time, which would normally be impossible w/ an arcade stick lever or a (functional) gamepad.

As a result, many older games (especially) weren't QA'd properly and you could do things that should be impossible in some games like throwing sonic booms or holding block while walking forward. Or in Jojo's for example, it's possible to crash the game with a couple characters. (This happens a lot w/ keyboard players)

The SOCD cleaner is designed to nullify this by killing the opposing input.

The problem is this: which is the fairest (vs most usable or convenient) way: to prevent a new button press from occuring when the opposing one is hurt, or giving priority to the newest-pressed button? I'm really rusty on this poo poo after being on a sort of FG hiatus for years, iirc the thing it does is act like no direction is pressed if you press both.

Some games you can do some really precise dashing movements as a result of the implementation.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Street Fighter is coded to just give the newest button priority, but ya'll freaked the gently caress out about how unfair that was so...

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

:confused:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Theyre right I was on this board losing my mind and flaming the haters left and right when I found out.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Here's what you can do if you can hold both directions at the same time.

https://youtu.be/4iFzIKs5S24

The orbs are Sonic Boom commands [4]6, while the lasers are reverse Sonic Boom commands [6]4. What's really notable about this one is that you can do it without a hitbox with stock controller by just using the analog and digital at the same time.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i dont care anymore about hitboxes or w/e

play with whatever you want just push buttons and punch mans and be rad

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fayk posted:

Hitboxes in their simplest form would just be a button per directional (cardinal direction) inputs, meaning there's nothing preventing you from holding left and right at the same time, which would normally be impossible w/ an arcade stick lever or a (functional) gamepad.

As a result, many older games (especially) weren't QA'd properly and you could do things that should be impossible in some games like throwing sonic booms or holding block while walking forward. Or in Jojo's for example, it's possible to crash the game with a couple characters. (This happens a lot w/ keyboard players)

The SOCD cleaner is designed to nullify this by killing the opposing input.

The problem is this: which is the fairest (vs most usable or convenient) way: to prevent a new button press from occuring when the opposing one is hurt, or giving priority to the newest-pressed button? I'm really rusty on this poo poo after being on a sort of FG hiatus for years, iirc the thing it does is act like no direction is pressed if you press both.

Some games you can do some really precise dashing movements as a result of the implementation.

I'm surprised to learn about this in FGs, this was a thing in TF2 for a while. When you held opposing directions in TF2 you would stop in your tracks so we'd use a null-canceling move script that bound each direction input to be +direction and -oppositedirection so if you hel A and pressed D you would immediately stop strafing left and strafe right, and then when you let go of D you resumes strafing left again. The game by default negated movement and players found a way to make the last keypress in a conflict override earlier keys and it really made movement easier. I imagine similar logic would most closely emulate a stick that can only hold one of an opposing pair of directions at a time would be the most fair implementation. A keyboard player could still hold A and D and just let go of D to stop approaching and instantly block but they couldn't do both at once if +D also had a -A signal bound to it.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
Went ahead and got Geese, figured since only two of the T7 DLC charcters so far aren't gay I should have them both. Hopefully Ganryu makes it in to s02.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Graphic posted:

Went ahead and got Geese, figured since only two of the T7 DLC charcters so far aren't gay I should have them both. Hopefully Ganryu makes it in to s02.

haha.... word my man......

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's no way Geese and Billy Kane aren't loving

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
r/kappa is a literal cancer on the fighting game community and i yearn for the day it finally gets shut down because they couldn't stop posting 4chan nazi poo poo :colbert:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Race Realists posted:

r/kappa is a literal cancer on the fighting game community and i yearn for the day it finally gets shut down because they couldn't stop posting 4chan nazi poo poo :colbert:

r/kappa doesn't even play fighting games

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Graphic posted:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Graphic posted:

This post was really hard for me to parse at first bc I don't assume most posters are permanently stuck at age 14 anymore.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Zand posted:

as they remove the (small) margin of error
Makes sense if that's a thing that can also happen on sticks.

Though i guess a lot of the divisiveness of hitboxes stems from the fact that they already remove some sources of error like stick weight/trajectory and snap-back while being more demanding for other things like 720s.
Kinda reminds me a lot of the things a relative tells me about the professional biking scene, where people have equally strong preferences and heated debates about certain bike materials and design details.

Zand posted:

socd cleaning is considered "good" now even though it's something that cleans and adjusts your inputs and you can do weird poo poo with it.
Oh true, i hadn't considered that already being a thing. I guess the semantics of modelling a virtual stick are ambiguous between "pressing left sets x to -50%" and "pressing left shifts x by -50%" and either is going to result in situational advantages depending on the game's parser.

It's a bit hard for me to get really invested into debates like that because while that stuff might give people and edge and make headlines on an EVO stage at my level of play it seems entirely incidental and never significant. Unless we're talking about obvious cheating like timed macros that execute a full bnb without any chance of dropping rounds are won and lost by players making dozens of horrible decisions (like non stop button pressing) or just clumsily missing timing windows.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What was the SF where guile could sonic boom while walking forward

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's a bit hard for me to get really invested into debates like that because while that stuff might give people and edge and make headlines on an EVO stage at my level of play it seems entirely incidental and never significant. Unless we're talking about obvious cheating like timed macros that execute a full bnb without any chance of dropping rounds are won and lost by players making dozens of horrible decisions (like non stop button pressing) or just clumsily missing timing windows.

The kicker is that most of the techniques involved have an immediate and powerful effect if you know what you're doing, but since those effects are achievable without modding then nobody considers it an advantage for some reason. Example: With a hitbox, you can dash by hitting and holding a direction and then tapping the opposite. This registers 656/454 faster (1f faster than what should be possible on a controller) and easier than double-tapping the direction like you're supposed to. But you can already dash, so it's not a problem until somebody proves that it's busted by winning when they "shouldn't" have. The scare quotes around "shouldn't" comprise literally the entire input device/cheating debate.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Smoking Crow posted:

That's a number of them sort of, AI Guile in a few can technically hold back while moving forward since it's not beholden to actual controls, so if they feel like it, can start throwing advancing sonic booms at your rear end.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SF4 on the 3DS let you do that standing and moving forward due to shortcut commands

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Yeah the 3DS version of IV let you map specials to the touch pad so you could do dash up flash kicks and such.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
In SF2 World Warrior, the charge buffer is so lenient, you can take a few steps before throwing a boom or flash kick

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Ryoga posted:

Considering how wide spread the use of modified versions of dreamcast marvel was in the day for soundtracks and custom colors I wouldn't be surprised if any were modified to get an edge on the competition.

There's no way this ever actually happened.
First off, all the top teams are made out of the same five characters. So if you buffed frame data on storm, sentinel, magneto, cable chances are the other guy is using that character too.

Also, the god tier of MvC2 is already crazy Strong. Magneto has a one frame low already, you gonna hack it to be 1/5 of a frame? Sentinel can already 100% in 50 different ways with a storm DHC, you gonna hack his damage up? I doubt it would even make a difference.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Hack it so Jugg/Doom/Tron are stronger

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
people complaining about r/kappa gives them power, nobody but its haters and redditors pay it any mind. I feel like I never hear about r/kappa unless it's someone yelling about it

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
ive never heard of it and i'm sure i'm better off that way and the less i get educated about another depressing reddit cesspit the better

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Graphic posted:

Sorry to disappoint you, but Geese and Ganryu are gay for each other

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
Geese and Ganryu are the right kind of gay, though. I like bears, not anime twinks.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

b_d posted:

whats socd cleaning

it sounds like a perverted sex act to me

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Corbeau posted:

Street Fighter is coded to just give the newest button priority, but ya'll freaked the gently caress out about how unfair that was so...

imagine the joker was saying this and prefaced by saying we live in a society where smash players ruin their hand tendons to properly play smash an intentionally broken gamecube controller

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

mysterious loyall X posted:

it sounds like a perverted sex act to me

That's reverse edging.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Zand posted:

people complaining about r/kappa gives them power, nobody but its haters and redditors pay it any mind. I feel like I never hear about r/kappa unless it's someone yelling about it

i think FAB had r/kappa in his name at the last american tournamnet he was at

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Broken Loose posted:

The kicker is that most of the techniques involved have an immediate and powerful effect if you know what you're doing, but since those effects are achievable without modding then nobody considers it an advantage for some reason. Example: With a hitbox, you can dash by hitting and holding a direction and then tapping the opposite. This registers 656/454 faster (1f faster than what should be possible on a controller) and easier than double-tapping the direction like you're supposed to. But you can already dash, so it's not a problem until somebody proves that it's busted by winning when they "shouldn't" have. The scare quotes around "shouldn't" comprise literally the entire input device/cheating debate.

Utterly trivialising perfect backdash and wavedash cancels is something hitboxes do in tekken, but since no good players use them it's not really been an issue

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

mysterious loyall X posted:

i think FAB had r/kappa in his name at the last american tournamnet he was at

That's because they sponsored him to go, they've done that a few times with players, their one redeeming feature.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Picked up SC6 and holy poo poo this is really fun

Need to get used to having a block button again though, and also relearning all of Kilik's moves because I've never actually played Soul Calibur on stick before.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MechaX posted:

Picked up SC6 and holy poo poo this is really fun

Need to get used to having a block button again though, and also relearning all of Kilik's moves because I've never actually played Soul Calibur on stick before.

Imo 3d fighters are better on playstation pad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Graphic posted:

Geese and Ganryu are the right kind of gay, though. I like bears, not anime twinks.

I was playing some KoF game on Dreamcast where I we could make two 3-character teams all entirely with different twinks, that's got to be some kinda record for anime bish boys in a fighter.