Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That audio drama owns bones and makes me love Gridman and Mr 4-swords even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is outstanding and at least as fun as the first two episodes of the actual series. Is there a 1.1 out there somewhere?
Yes. Sadly it's untranslated. Not to mention highschool girl lingo is harder to translate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuCr_xf8AYo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Utsumi trying his best to not have the three idiots around him spilling the beans on everything :allears: So good.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kaptain posted:

Yes. Sadly it's untranslated. Not to mention highschool girl lingo is harder to translate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuCr_xf8AYo
I found an incredibly rough translation of it:

1.1 posted:

"Rikka, do you have a minute?"
"So what is it?"
"We saw it last night."
"Oh, that."
"What were you doing with Hibiki Yuta? We will treat you if you are honest."
"It's not like I'm hiding anything."
"Then hurry, tell us."
"Last night, Hibiki-kun collapsed in front of my house, and he got amnesia/lost his memory..."
"Amnesia!?"
"It's not a big deal."
"It IS a big deal. I mean, amnesia, is it even real? That's pretty bad, isn't it?"
"But it's really not a big deal."
"By the way, why did he collapse in front of your house, isn't it weird?"
"Yeah, how did you and Yuta get into that 1 on 1 situation?"
"Ehh, it isn't that weird, you know?"
"She's definitely hiding something. Wait, did Rikka invite him to her house or something? Really?"
"No, it's not like that, really."
"Then what is it?"
"Ehh, it's just a coincidence, or something like that."
"You are SO BAD at lying! What the--you two aren't really dating, are you?"
"No, we aren't, I swear."
"I'm relieved that Yuta didn't get too close to Rikka. I mean, it's the *insert random nicknames here* Rikka."
"Okay, stop it."
"Then, Rikka, what did you eat this morning?"
"This morning? I think some green-colored fruit?"
"See???"
"It's not like that! It's my mom who prepared it!"
"Acting again, huh? As exptected of *insert more random nicknames here* Rikka. Rikka, you might not notice it, but you shouldn't be so tough, you know?"
"What do you mean by being tough?"
"By the way, are you and Yuta even that close?"
"No, not at all. I don't often talk to him, you know? Even when we are alone, we only talk a little."
"Mm hmm. So, what next?"
"I mean, that's it. I haven't talked to him since then."
"Oh... Well, it's Hibiki with the red hair after all."
"Yeah, bright red."
"It doesn't matter if it's red or anything."
"If I was a boy, I definitely wouldn't try my luck with Rikka."
"Me neither... if I'm a boy in this class, I would probably choose Akane."
"I know right! She's cute and popular with the boys. They'd definitely choose Akane."
"Yeah, I think I get it too."
"And Rikka has that aura of a girl who would probably go out with a workerman, that's just wrong. No, no, no, that can't be allowed."
"So Rikka, if you were asked right now, what is the price in your head?"
"Now? Hmm, 180,000 yen?"
"I didn't know you are that kind of person!"
"No, you got it wrong...!!!"
I'd like a cleaner and more accurate localisation, but the gist is that Rikka's friends are bantering with her about Yuta.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

this show is very good wow

And the underlying premise is just :stonk:

I forget where I posted about this possibly involving kaiju battles with collateral damage, but it got even more sinister in a hurry.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 20, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Someone put up a better translation of 1.1.

https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/10/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-11.html

Makes it clear they're ribbing Rikka with some background details.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ranzear posted:

I forget where I posted about this possibly involving kaiju battles with collateral damage, but it got even more sinister in a hurry.

Yeah it's pretty messed up.

I'm hoping the entire world is a digital simulation just so more of the damage can be undone.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Yeah it's pretty messed up.

I'm hoping the entire world is a digital simulation just so more of the damage can be undone.

I'm hoping it's not :unsmigghh:

I want an apology/middle finger toward all the pulled punches of DitF, but yeah, probably no one actually gets kill-la-killed in the end.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

E3: Had me worried a bit there, Yuta. Thought you were gonna pull a Kamina.

The support crew are all here, and they're cool and good. Calibur is still a dork. First "Gattai!" of the show. All is well. :allears:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The bit where Calibur burst through the window was pure FLCL lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

And then he kept shoving people on his shoulders.

What a nice junior higher.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

I enjoyed that he burst into the classroom from one window, only to burst through a different one when leaving

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

And then he kept shoving people on his shoulders.

What a nice junior higher.

Rikka faces continue to be good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I generally just watch the subbed version but out of curiosity, how's the dub of this series?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I liked this episode. Protect that dumb kaiju boy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love that the show knows just when to throw out comedy beats, like mom showing up at the end.

Interesting that it doesn't really seem to matter which side wins on a given day, the city resets anyway.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I liked this episode. Protect that dumb kaiju boy.

Rikka seems to be working on it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I hope 3.3 is about the Junior Highs ordering more stuff at Rikka's mum's cafe.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Larryb posted:

I generally just watch the subbed version but out of curiosity, how's the dub of this series?

Pretty good. Funi managed to get voice actors who sound like you'd expect. Akane's voice actess knocks it out of the park. The guy doing Alexis is putting on an okay Tim Curry impression.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Gridman Alliance keeps getting weirdoes and they're great. I love these junior high schoolers (including the 33-year old).

Also goddamn the animation keeps being awesome despite the repeated shots. We keep getting some famous poses too.

https://twitter.com/180223/status/1053738658598014978

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hmm, maybe Akane isn't so bad after all. Just look at their smiles :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She's a psychopath to be fair but I still kind of like her (I'm also kind of curious if that's all there is to her or if she has some kind of hidden ulterior motive in all this), I'm still wondering what the ED is all about though as so far I don't think Akane and Rikka have even spoken to each other once in this series.

Interesting that Anti survived though, I guess that means he'll be back at some point then.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 20, 2018

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Larryb posted:

It's very good

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I need Rikka pics from this episode.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZSNmaMPzCQ
A sub of audio drama 3.3.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

She's a psychopath to be fair but I still kind of like her (I'm also kind of curious if that's all there is to her or if she has some kind of hidden ulterior motive in all this), I'm still wondering what the ED is all about though as so far I don't think Akane and Rikka have even spoken to each other once in this series.

I'm rather nervous that that's going to turn out to be something like Akane turning out to be a crazy stalker yandere for Rikka, which seems like a really hard thing to pull off without feeling at least a little gross. I'm kind of nervous in general about Akane - I really, really don't want her motivation to just turn out to be 'bitch be wack, yo,' but it's sure hard to spin her any other way right now, especially after seeing how she treats Anti.

Very curious that the world got reset just fine after Akane won - I got the impression that the only reason even Hibiki didn't come back as soon as Gridman healed himself was that they were hoping to get the drop on the next Kaiju to manifest. Yet we also got confirmation that at least a couple of the casualties from the first couple episodes have stayed dead - but considering how much of the city gets smashed to pieces without any warning, it's difficult to fathom that literally all the normal people who get caught up in the fights are perma-dead.

The rules around what damage/casualties stick and what gets casually rewound/repaired seem very vague and arbitrary right now.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 21, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm rather nervous that that's going to turn out to be something like Akane turning out to be a crazy stalker yandere for Rikka, which seems like a really hard thing to pull off without feeling at least a little gross. I'm kind of nervous in general about Akane - I really, really don't want her motivation to just turn out to be 'bitch be wack, yo,' but it's sure hard to spin her any other way right now, especially after seeing how she treats Anti.

Very curious that the world got reset just fine after Akane won - I got the impression that the only reason even Hibiki didn't come back as soon as Gridman healed himself was that they were hoping to get the drop on the next Kaiju to manifest. Yet we also got confirmation that at least a couple of the casualties from the first couple episodes have stayed dead - but considering how much of the city gets smashed to pieces without any warning, it's difficult to fathom that literally all the normal people who get caught up in the fights are perma-dead.

The rules around what damage/casualties stick and what gets casually rewound/repaired seem very vague and arbitrary right now.

I'm sort of wondering if the resets have something to do with Yuta's memory loss as well. As for Akane, I'm not even sure Alexis is even manipulating her that much to be honest (she's clearly loving this poo poo and wants to see the world burn) but I'm still curious if she has some other kind of motivation for her actions beyond "lunatic". Time will tell of course.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like it's more coherent than that, it just requires reading between the lines.

Since it was established in Episode 2 that Akane releases kaiju to kill specific people, you can figure from there that given she accomplished her goal in beating Gridman and it still reset, that she doesn't have any particular desire to wreck the city, just get rid of her designated target, so it'd reset anyway. Hell, who knows how many people she's killed before?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Decided to check this out after being made curious because it referenced Heroes of the Storm.

Akane is a wonderful character. :allears:

Larryb posted:

Rikka and Akane definitely have some sort of connection (otherwise why would they put them together in the ED?) which will be interesting to see explored further. From some of her dialogue when talking with him in this episode it seems she might possibly know who Yuta really is as well.

But yeah, I kind of like Akane as a villain so far (she's a sociopath but at the same time there are hints that there might be a few more layers to her underneath).

Villains that are just evil for the lulz are extremely hard to make interesting (I can count the ones I think are good on one hand), so here's hoping.

Ranzear posted:

You should watch Bokurano.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 21, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There is an interesting disconnect between Akane as she's framed in the OP, ED, and promo material (which all give her sympathetic framing and place her alongside the heroes) and Akane as she exists in the show. Might be interesting to see where they end up going with that. Maybe she ends up developing some kind of actual attachment to Anti? He also has a suspiciously heroic-looking design compared to the other kaiju.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

There is an interesting disconnect between Akane as she's framed in the OP, ED, and promo material (which all give her sympathetic framing and place her alongside the heroes) and Akane as she exists in the show. Might be interesting to see where they end up going with that. Maybe she ends up developing some kind of actual attachment to Anti? He also has a suspiciously heroic-looking design compared to the other kaiju.

I know the Trigger/Gainax lineage isn't really as strong these days as it used to be, but his face and demeanor does remind me a bit of what I've seen of Viral from TTGL

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

That "Phones are linked to lives." line seems entirely too on the nose after how the girl who got erased in episode 1 looked up from her phone immediately before eating a fireball.

Akane rules.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I know the Trigger/Gainax lineage isn't really as strong these days as it used to be, but his face and demeanor does remind me a bit of what I've seen of Viral from TTGL

I was more thinking of his kaiju design, which has sharper colour contrasts and more heroic proportions than the other two we've seen so far.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I was more thinking of his kaiju design, which has sharper colour contrasts and more heroic proportions than the other two we've seen so far.

Oh, speaking of the Kaiju designs - something interesting I've noticed is that the actual live Kaiju that Akane and what's-his-face summon look more like robots (especially Anti and #2) while the big dead kaiju that are just kind of hanging out in the background occasionally look like actual living (er, once-living) things. Not sure if they're going for anything specific there or if it's just a coincidence, but it stood out when I was looking back over some screencaps.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cuntellectual posted:

Villains that are just evil for the lulz are extremely hard to make interesting (I can count the ones I think are good on one hand), so here's hoping.

Her targeting the teacher and treatment of Anti suggest she's acting out of some sense of ressentiment more than a "for the lulz" general glee for evil.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Calibur is moe

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Grouchio posted:

I need Rikka pics from this episode.

It's nice how they get teenage banter down pretty well. I also kinda wonder what Hasse looks like under her mask :v:

Anti: wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a Viral/Satsuki later on thanks to Rikka.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Loving this show, the heavy scenes really carry a lot of weight with their pacing and they make the "gently caress yeah, Gridman saves the day" fights extremely satisfying.

Calibur is moe and I would die for him. I burst out laughing at Neon Genesis Junior High.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pardon my rambling thoughts, I just came out of a discussion with my friends about the show and a couple of them have also been chatting about it on 4chan and so forth.

It's pretty clear the Gridman team is busting into this reality because it's hosed and there's people to save, and it's looking like the people to save is Akane from herself and from Alexis, her enabler. The Gridman crew can't be deleted by Akane's (or Alexis'?) control over this reality because they're basically invaders.

During the first ep, Akane was surprised when she looked up into the sky and saw a spark of light break apart into six pieces. Gridman, each of the NGJH Support team, and... Yuta? Or who or whatever is causing Yuta to have amnesia and giving Gridman an anchor into this reality. After the spark of light splits apart, the scene smash cuts to Yuta waking up. Much like after the special dog fiasco, the scene smash cuts to Akane (then-unidentified) angrily creating a kaiju to kill Tonkawa.

While the exact specifics of what's going on are a mystery (is this world real, how did digital Hyper Agent Gridman get here, what's Alexis' deal, why the amnesia anyway, is everybody else real, does it even really matter if they're "real" in-text or not), I feel like "Gridman and co. coming to stop Akane and save the people in this world (and probably also Akane too)" is basically the broad dynamic of what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ibblebibble posted:

Anti: wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a Viral/Satsuki later on thanks to Rikka.

basically looks like a combined offspring of the two