Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Khablam posted:

Asus have a x299 that has 7 slots, a couple of their z270 boards do too.
You can in theory go M.2-to-PCI-e, (times 2) which is how people were doing 8 / 9 card mining rigs.

I have no idea if this is a bottleneck for a computational load, though.

e: bear in mind nvidia drivers limit you to 8 GPUs

I have tons of Gigabyte B250 Fintech motherboards that support 11 PCI-e x1 slots, but they just don't support the amount of RAM I need for a proper DL rig. Also, my brother told me the same thing about Windows 10 and Nvidia cards, but apparently Windows did an update back in April that allows more than that. I had built so many rigs with only 8 total cards, or 8 Nvidia + 4 AMD because he told me that from the start, but I built some 9 card rigs recently with all 1070ti's and they seem to be working fine.

Edit: You edited the change after I submitted :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

X399 Designare-EX has five full lengths plus three M.2.

That actually looks pretty good, although I wonder if the card slots are spaced far enough apart to not have overlap from some of the bigger (wider) cards -- I would assume they would have thought through that though. Only other issue I see is that I was going to build this rig using an Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 and the specs say it only supports Threadrippers. What would be an equivalent AMD processor to a Xeon E5-2650 v4?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ice Fist posted:

Okay friends, within the next month I'll be looking to upgrade my PC. It's sort of a franken-PC that I've been upgrading at various steps since I started doing my own builds 10-11 years ago. It has an i7-2600 (at least 5, but maybe 6 years old I can't really tell but it's older than my first SSD which I got in 2013 according to some e-mail receipts), with a measly 8Gb of DDR3 and a Geforce 970 for a GPU. My latest upgrade was a Fractal R4 and a Noctura CPU fan a little over a year and a half ago.

This new PC will be primarily for gaming/browsing. While the 970 has been perfect for my level of 1080p gaming even with the latest releases I really, really want to go 4k. So I plan on selling the system in its current state to recoup some of the costs needed to do well with the higher resolution and start from scratch. My budget is flexible although not unlimited. If I can keep it close to 2k that'll be fine.

So here's my starting point:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($419.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($277.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1414.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-18 14:37 EDT-0400

So first, I'm the kind of person who has some amount of brand loyalty. If I find something that works I generally stick with it which is why I went with Intel, Samsung, Asus and Fractal Design. That said, you guys are pretty loving smart about this stuff whereas I'm an idiot, so I might be convinced that a certain choice is just as good for less or even "here's this better thing for another 40-50 bucks that is far better value".

Second, I haven't settled on the GPU yet. Like I said, my current 970 is doing okay, even with newer titles although I've started to have to use "near" max instead of max settings. The goal here however is to upgrade to a 4k monitor either with this upgrade or the next one. I'll need either a 1080/2080ti for that correct?

But ultimately I think the 2600 and the RAM is starting to show some age and that's why I want to throw this out there for some feedback.

Reposting this. Trying to get feedback.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MarksMan posted:

That actually looks pretty good, although I wonder if the card slots are spaced far enough apart to not have overlap from some of the bigger (wider) cards -- I would assume they would have thought through that though. Only other issue I see is that I was going to build this rig using an Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 and the specs say it only supports Threadrippers. What would be an equivalent AMD processor to a Xeon E5-2650 v4?

From a little Googling, I found this as well: https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ice Fist posted:

It looks like a good build. Here are some edits: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qCFVCb

1) There are a lot of good competitors to the 970 EVO coming out soon - chief among them is the Corsair MP510, which kicks the 1TB 970's rear end at 960GB in both R/W and IOPS.
2) I've heard nothing but horror stories about how difficult the Dark Rock 4 is to mount, whereas I've heard nothing but glowing reviews about how easy the Noctuas are. If you want to obscure the ugly beige fan for whatever reason, they sell Chromax kits for that now. Obviously there's also the regular D15, but you selecting the DR4 tells me you want less noise, hence the D15S.
3) Changed your PSU to one with a 12 year warranty.
4) The price has gone up recently (likely due to tariffs), but the R6 is a better case than the Define S.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 21, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

The top-crop of benchmark darlings typically do ~45fps ultra @ 4k on a 1080Ti, and ~60fps on a 2080Ti. Obviously, that ~45 can easily be compromised to 60 with very few sacrifices that'll actually be visible.
The rest of your system is fine, you just have to look in your wallet and your heart to see what you want to spend to chase 4k/60

e: eurogamer have a wordy chartless writeup that's otherwise the information you're looking for vis-a-vis setting expectations - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-10-17-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-benchmarks-7001

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

I just don't get how that spacing works unless I'm not getting a good idea of the scale from the pic. Of all the 1070ti's manufacturers I could use, even the smallest/thinnest one, a Gigabyte 1070ti 3 fan, seems like it would overlap the PCIe slot next to it, essentially making it so I could only use every other one? I've had this problem a lot with PCIe x1 slots, where usually the two closest to the front of the fans get covered up when the GPU0 card is plugged into the x16 lane

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MarksMan posted:

I just don't get how that spacing works unless I'm not getting a good idea of the scale from the pic. Of all the 1070ti's manufacturers I could use, even the smallest/thinnest one, a Gigabyte 1070ti 3 fan, seems like it would overlap the PCIe slot next to it, essentially making it so I could only use every other one? I've had this problem a lot with PCIe x1 slots, where usually the two closest to the front of the fans get covered up when the GPU0 card is plugged into the x16 lane

Ideally you'd be using something like Quadro P4000s, but I've a feeling you're paying out of pocket for this. The only way it'd work is if you set up a miner-style hanging rig and used risers, or spent as much as a full rack of P4000s and set up a custom loop for the GPUs. And even then you'd likely have to lose the backplates, since chopping them down would void your warranty.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 21, 2018

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ideally you'd be using something like Quadro P4000s, but I've a feeling you're paying out of pocket for this. The only way it'd work is if you set up a miner-style hanging rig and used risers, or spent as much as a full rack of P4000s and set up a custom loop for the GPUs. And even then you'd likely have to lose the backplates, since chopping them down would void your warranty.

Ideally, that's what I would like to do since I have tons of 8 card and a few 12 card hanging/open air rig structures. It would be great if I was able to just find a motherboard that could support that amount of RAM with enough x1 slots to use with a hanging rig. It would make it so I essentially only have to buy a new mobo, processor (have a ton of Celeron's and one 1920x I got from a trade with a goon recently) and the RAM sticks. Just that amount of RAM and processor needed alone aren't exactly cheap.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MarksMan posted:

Ideally, that's what I would like to do since I have tons of 8 card and a few 12 card hanging/open air rig structures. It would be great if I was able to just find a motherboard that could support that amount of RAM with enough x1 slots to use with a hanging rig. It would make it so I essentially only have to buy a new mobo, processor (have a ton of Celeron's and one 1920x I got from a trade with a goon recently) and the RAM sticks. Just that amount of RAM and processor needed alone aren't exactly cheap.

You might want to wait for the Z399 (supposedly) coming in November, then. Those will support up to 68 PCIe lanes, and there might be a few insane EATX+ content creator boards that might meet your guidelines.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

BIG HEADLINE posted:

From a little Googling, I found this as well: https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It looks like a good build. Here are some edits: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qCFVCb

1) There are a lot of good competitors to the 970 EVO coming out soon - chief among them is the Corsair MP510, which kicks the 1TB 970's rear end at 960GB in both R/W and IOPS.
2) I've heard nothing but horror stories about how difficult the Dark Rock 4 is to mount, whereas I've heard nothing but glowing reviews about how easy the Noctuas are. If you want to obscure the ugly beige fan for whatever reason, they sell Chromax kits for that now. Obviously there's also the regular D15, but you selecting the DR4 tells me you want less noise, hence the D15S.
3) Changed your PSU to one with a 12 year warranty.
4) The price has gone up recently (likely due to tariffs), but the R6 is a better case than the Define S.

1) This build wasn't going to be an instant buy so I'm willing to wait for some better performing competitors. How long until these come out?
2) I can't tell you exactly why I picked that fan. I own a Noctua right now and I love it and I don't really mind the fan. I think I"ll go with that.
3) Appreciated
4) I have an R4 currently that I got last February. The only reason I went with the S was price. Based on the listed features it didn't seem like I was going to be missing much. What am I getting in the R6 over the S?

Khablam posted:

The top-crop of benchmark darlings typically do ~45fps ultra @ 4k on a 1080Ti, and ~60fps on a 2080Ti. Obviously, that ~45 can easily be compromised to 60 with very few sacrifices that'll actually be visible.
The rest of your system is fine, you just have to look in your wallet and your heart to see what you want to spend to chase 4k/60

e: eurogamer have a wordy chartless writeup that's otherwise the information you're looking for vis-a-vis setting expectations - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-10-17-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-benchmarks-7001

I'm definitely the kind of person willing to go to 4k/60 with some compromises, especially since it looks like it'll save me 3-4 hundred. I've always been a middle of the road guy when it comes to graphics cards, never been willing to shell out the big bucks for the top shelf and when I see the prices on 2080TIs I start to immediately wonder what I'll get out of that over something not ~quite~ as good. I'm more comfortable with the normal 2080 so I think I'll be going with that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

What am I getting in the R6 over the S?

Honestly, the built-in PWM fan hub (and the sound dampening) on the R6 is worth the price of admission to me - there's also a newer revision that has built-in USB-C Type 2: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352096

The version without the window is $20 cheaper. I was going to go with the updated R6 until the opportunity presented itself for me to get the Evolv X instead.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 21, 2018

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010
What country are you in? United States, but moving to South Korea in a few weeks.
What are you using the system for? Primarily gaming, although some light office work is possible as well. General games are Final Fantasy XIV, Monster Hunter: World, Warframe, and other Steam titles.
What's your budget? I'm aiming for the area of $1500, in either country.

Hey PC builders, a couple questions:

I'm moving to South Korea in the next couple weeks and I've been debating between building a gaming PC in a smaller case to take with me or waiting until I'm set up over there to begin building. I've looked around for general advice on part prices between the US and Korea and I've gotten a lot of mixed signals. Does anyone have any experience and/or advice concerning building a gaming PC in Korea? Am I generally ok waiting to buy once I'm in the country, or will it be significantly cheaper to build with access to the US market?
I'm looking for a general gaming build that can fit into a case like the Fractal Design Node 202, although I'm not averse to any other suggestions of other small cases.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
So here's my final list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $544.65)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $154.90)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Taichi Ultimate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $299.99)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $169.99)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $147.99)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $1249.99)
Case: Lian-Li - PC-O11DW ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $127.75)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx White 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $139.99)
Case Fan: Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.2 CFM 120mm Fans (Purchased For $109.59)
Case Fan: Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.2 CFM 120mm Fans (Purchased For $109.59)
Case Fan: Corsair - LL140 RGB LED (TwoFans With Lighting Node PRO) 51.5 CFM 140mm Fans (Purchased For $91.95)
Total: $3146.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-20 23:12 EDT-0400

I obviously haven't gotten the 9900k, but with these delays and the concerns about the heat, I feel like I might be ok just going with an 8700k.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Alternatively, how hard is it to sell CPUs? Is there a second hand market for them? I might just pick up the 8700k and pick up a 9900k at a later date.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 21, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
mm I don't know, are you sure it'll be enough?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ain't nobody getting a 9900K any time soon. Newegg had just shy of 14,000 preorders and got ~90 CPUs. Initial estimates for *total* US shipments was ~500 units. Not 500 pallets. 500 units.

Amazon hasn't bothered saying how many preorders they have and how much stock they got.

Details: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/9pvboa/i99900k_delay_thread/?sort=confidence

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ain't nobody getting a 9900K any time soon. Newegg had just shy of 14,000 preorders and got ~90 CPUs. Initial estimates for *total* US shipments was ~500 units. Not 500 pallets. 500 units.

Amazon hasn't bothered saying how many preorders they have and how much stock they got.

Details: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/9pvboa/i99900k_delay_thread/?sort=confidence

Is this SOP for Intel? Do they always drastically undersupply new releases like this or what?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
My Amazon ordered 9900k showed as arriving Thursday, the 25th, then reverted back to no delivery estimate. I got passed around a bit and whoever I ended up with said their first shipment should arrive on Wednesday, but no promises.

MarksMan posted:

Is this SOP for Intel? Do they always drastically undersupply new releases like this or what?

It happened with the Coffee Lake launch last year, so it's not out of character.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Saves them money since they can make less units upfront and control production as dictated by demand without ending up with a pile of processors sitting around that need to be cleared out before next launch.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VelociBacon posted:

I wouldn't want to go back to 7 at this point and 10 does some things quite well.

I'm a little curious - what would you miss in 7?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

I'm a little curious - what would you miss in 7?

Seeing file transfer rates when moving stuff around, the 'your phone' app where I can text and see the photos from my phone on my pc, being able to do dx12 things, win 10 fixed a video issue that a win7 reinstall didn't, better handling of h. 265 files, that sort of thing.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 21, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

+speed, stability, hardware compatibility and security.

There's no functional reason to be on Win7 now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

For what it's worth I've also been able to (thankfully) remove all the stupid bullshit from the start menu so it's basically the same as what you get with windows 7. I also did a lot of shell and registry editing which (until I installed the October Update) removed all the worthless stuff from the initial windows explorer screen ('favorites', the extra folders, etc). It's essentially just like my win7 installs now, except that when my 9900k comes I'll be reinstalling and I guess having to do all that stupid poo poo again.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

MarksMan posted:

Why do you need so many cards? I feel like I'm missing some fundamental use case and I'm curious.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
A couple pages back but I didn't see an answer:

emocrat posted:

Where do I find [EVGA's Wednesday] sale?

If you go to their website on Wednesdays and check the store, you'll see a big "Midweek Madness" banner up top; click that to see the list of eligible items.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why do you need so many cards? I feel like I'm missing some fundamental use case and I'm curious.

Machine Learning/Deep Learning.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

A Strange Aeon posted:

They were bought to diversify from only having ASIC's for mining since ASIC's are just bricks if the algo gets forked or better, more efficient machines are released. But the plan for buying all the GPU's (125+, about a dozen 1070's and 6-8 1060's, the rest 1070ti or better) from the start was also to use them for machine learning/dl purposes one day. I could make 3x as much as I make mining if I rented them out for ml/dl uses, going through a third party service, which is still only half of what AWS charges to do the same thing. Right now I'm just building a 1070ti rig or two for ml/dl to do Kaggle competitions with a friend who is a data scientist; I'm donating the electricity and machines for a few months at least. Planning on doing this competition to use news analytics to predict stock prices, with like a $50k reward. Either way though, I'm glad I have them because ml/dl is way more interesting to me than mining ever was. Unfortunately, I'm not a mathematician, but I feel I can still contribute through my resources, which is what I'm trying to do now. The plan with the GPU's has always been to use them for this, but I needed to make a little money back after the very significant expenditure that went in to getting my mining farm going. Hopefully I have time in the future to truly study and learn ml for myself

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Break-even on mining right now is longer than any GPU's warranty, so in no sense do you "make back" the money.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I bit the bullet and ordered a load of components and put everything together today, I already had a pretty much brand new PSU (EVGA G3 750W) and GPU (EVGA 1070ti) already along with some SSDs and one HDD but everything else was new, specifically:

Intel i5 9600K
Asus Z390 TUF Gaming wifi (I'm not a mad overclocker and this was a mid range one, plus my previous Asus wifi card had dreadful driver support so I needed something with it built in)
16Gb of corsair 3200 RAM
Samsung evo 970 500GB M2 SSD
A ridiculously large Be Quiet Dark Rock cooler with a 135mm fan on it

I was aiming to minimise noise and so far, i'm impressed. When the PSU fan shuts down at low load it's virtually silent. The HDD is the loudest thing i nthere now, until I remove it

Some notes for anyone who's interested:
* I/O shields have not got any better in the last few years and are still a total pain in the rear end to fit into place and get the motherboard into

* The cooler mounting is directional but the instructions don't tell you that and rely on you noticing it on the diagram

* Fractal and Asus seem to disagree about how many screw holes should be where on an ATX board as the case had a blanking stand off where a screw should be

* On first boot, it got stuck in a boot loop which I think was the PSU doing a self test and caused me some alarm

* The BIOS doesn't seem to like my keyboard if it's plugged into the rear USB ports, only if it's on the front panel

* The Asus driver CD tries to install google Chrome, winRar, Daemon tools and Norton for god only knows what reason. Unfortunately the wifi doesn't work straight off in windows so you have to use it. It then immediately announced it needed an update and downloaded a 414mb wifi driver what the christ

* The R6 case model I bought comes with a type C usb connector but this only fits onto a gen 2 motherboard header which I didn't think to look for. I'm not sure if there's an adapter that can be used to set this up or if I'm now stuck.

* The R6 is very easy to work with but weighs an asbsolute ton, it's also pretty wide compared to the norm.

* The EVGA powerlink thing for connecting graphics cards up sounds like the dumbest idea ever but it is actually pretty useful. I got it free though, suspect it's not worth whatever they actually charge for it.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 21, 2018

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Some notes for anyone who's interested:
* I/O shields have not got any better in the last few years and are still a total pain in the rear end to fit into place and get the motherboard into

* Fractal and Asus seem to disagree about how many screw holes should be where on an ATX board as the case had a blanking stand off where a screw should be

* The Asus driver CD tries to install google Chrome, winRar, Daemon tools and Norton for god only knows what reason. Unfortunately the wifi doesn't work straight off in windows so you have to use it. It then immediately announced it needed an update and downloaded a 414mb wifi driver what the christ

A lot of motherboards do actually come with pre-installed IO shields attached now. I never thought separate shields were a problem but you'd disagree I guess.

Fractal put a peg where a hole should be. :dong: It's the middle one of nine so maybe it doesn't matter much.

I recommend downloading all the drivers you need and putting them on your install media beforehand. At least all the motherboard related ones.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Khablam posted:

Break-even on mining right now is longer than any GPU's warranty, so in no sense do you "make back" the money.

Again, the plan all along was to use the GPU's for ml/dl. Maybe that ever actually pays anything, maybe it doesn't. It's my money though, right? I've made far more money trading coins than I have mining them so far and that more than offsets any losses I've incurred. But, personally, I would like to see crypto succeed and become huge, although if it doesn't, it isn't like my world is going to collapse. I bought 100 S9's 10 months ago as a way to try in earnest to make money on mining; the GPU's were just a way to diversify and also to give myself some good resources in the future to use on the stuff I actually wanted to do, rather than what I could make money off of.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Wooper posted:

A lot of motherboards do actually come with pre-installed IO shields attached now. I never thought separate shields were a problem but you'd disagree I guess.

Fractal put a peg where a hole should be. :dong: It's the middle one of nine so maybe it doesn't matter much.

I recommend downloading all the drivers you need and putting them on your install media beforehand. At least all the motherboard related ones.

io shields are the perfect combination of sharp and flimsy for ending up ripping a chunk out of a hand as you try to pop them into place in my (in fairness limited) experience.

And yeah, I downloaded most of the drivers I needed in advance but forgot to move them off the one ssd I wasn't shifting and couldn't be bothered to move it thinking "how big can some drivers possibly be?".

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MarksMan posted:

Again, the plan all along was to use the GPU's for ml/dl. Maybe that ever actually pays anything, maybe it doesn't. It's my money though, right? I've made far more money trading coins than I have mining them so far and that more than offsets any losses I've incurred. But, personally, I would like to see crypto succeed and become huge, although if it doesn't, it isn't like my world is going to collapse. I bought 100 S9's 10 months ago as a way to try in earnest to make money on mining; the GPU's were just a way to diversify and also to give myself some good resources in the future to use on the stuff I actually wanted to do, rather than what I could make money off of.
My point was the GPU wear isn't worth GPU mining anymore, even if you assume the electricity is free and you don't care about environmental impact one bit.

e.g. the cheapest gtx 1070 bought new right now would cover its costs in a little under 3 years.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Khablam posted:

My point was the GPU wear isn't worth GPU mining anymore, even if you assume the electricity is free and you don't care about environmental impact one bit.

e.g. the cheapest gtx 1070 bought new right now would cover its costs in a little under 3 years.

That's true; and I do care about the environmental impact, although like many (but not all) things in life, I kind of have to make compromises to a degree.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
In October of 2018, cryptomining does not seem like something worth making a compromise on that for.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

In October of 2018, cryptomining does not seem like something worth making a compromise on that for.

To each his own I guess (cue "The Dude" Lebowski opinion meme.) The power just running the GPU rigs is pretty negligible to be honest. I used more electricity in my marijuana business in San Francisco, although I never felt bad about using electricity for that purpose. The ASIC's are extreme power hogs (any SHA-256 machines at least,) but they have been off for about 2 months, although I can't say it's for environmental reasons, rather it just wasn't profitable to have them running, even with my industrial power rates. But again, the GPU's were always intended to be used for ml/dl, which I consider a very worthy use of electricity.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This is an advice and opinion thread.

My opinion is that you are wasting money and wasting energy and that your endeavour is minor league but morally dubious. Further, you're making bad decisions and aren't going to find sympathy here.

My advice is to post in the crypto thread or not at all about your dumb rig.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

LRADIKAL posted:

This is an advice and opinion thread.

My opinion is that you are wasting money and wasting energy and that your endeavour is minor league but morally dubious. Further, you're making bad decisions and aren't going to find sympathy here.

My advice is to post in the crypto thread or not at all about your dumb rig.

Thanks broseph. "That's just like, your opinion, man." -- Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski

Khablam posted:

I'd consider "higher than the value of the product" more than negligible.

Fair enough

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MarksMan posted:

The power just running the GPU rigs is pretty negligible to be honest
I'd consider "higher than the value of the product" more than negligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MarksMan posted:

To each his own I guess (cue "The Dude" Lebowski opinion meme.) The power just running the GPU rigs is pretty negligible to be honest. I used more electricity in my marijuana business in San Francisco, although I never felt bad about using electricity for that purpose. The ASIC's are extreme power hogs (any SHA-256 machines at least,) but they have been off for about 2 months, although I can't say it's for environmental reasons, rather it just wasn't profitable to have them running, even with my industrial power rates. But again, the GPU's were always intended to be used for ml/dl, which I consider a very worthy use of electricity.

Well, if you use electricity to grow marijuana, you end up with a whole bunch of marijuana, which probably improves the world in some small way. With crypto, you are literally throwing away electricity by design, and getting nothing in return. You're not solving anything or making anything, you're just trading watts for fundamentally pointless hashing algorithms.