Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Well, I spent my day playing Halo Wars and it sure was a functional video game.

I have no idea how it would feel on a console, with an audience who maybe hasn't played much RTS, but it's really too basic to recommend as a PC game. It's very smooth, it looks good, I had no actual issues, but everything from the camera to the tooltips to the controls to the available actions is all very limited. There's just not enough possibilities to really present enough interesting challenges to keep it going. Seeing waves of rockets smashing up the Covenant was a bit of fun, but I don't think I would have wanted to do it for any longer than I did.

I enjoyed it more than I probably should have done, because I love Halo and it had pretty Halo cutscenes and neat Halo flavour. If you, like me, have bad taste in video games, it might be worth giving it a try while it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Still shouldn't revoke the guys CD key. That is just a PR nightmare waiting to happen.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Teddybear posted:

Just finished Return of the Obra Dinn. It took me a bit under seven hours, start to finish. If you like mystery games and deduction, the back half of this game is basically one big satisfying logic puzzle. It's excellent.
Yeah, I'm over half way through IDing everyone and once it starts to click its engaging as hell.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Willo567 posted:

Does anyone here own Groove Coaster? I was thinking about getting it since they released some Undertale songs for it, but then I saw that you have to be online every seven days in order to play it

I do. What's the question? Just "is that true"? I can test it for you I guess.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I do. What's the question? Just "is that true"? I can test it for you I guess.

No, I believe it. Part of me wants to get it, but the other part doesn't want to support DRM practices like this

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
All I'm gonna say on that front is "for an upgraded port of a mobile game that uses a lot of licensed Japanese music, it could be 2000% worse".

It plays pretty well and adapts to any control scheme under the bloody sun, it's rather nice.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Teddybear posted:

Just finished Return of the Obra Dinn. It took me a bit under seven hours, start to finish. If you like mystery games and deduction, the back half of this game is basically one big satisfying logic puzzle. It's excellent.

I just completed it, and I have to say while the story is good for what it is, the last unlockable chapter doesn't quite have the satisfying payoff it seemed to be promising.

Still, its an absorbing puzzle from start to finish and worth playing if you are into that.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

END ME SCOOB posted:

All I'm gonna say on that front is "for an upgraded port of a mobile game that uses a lot of licensed Japanese music, it could be 2000% worse".

It plays pretty well and adapts to any control scheme under the bloody sun, it's rather nice.

Yeah, you make a good point about the licensing issues. I just hope they have a system in place in case it ever goes offline

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Unlucky7 posted:

I just completed it, and I have to say while the story is good for what it is, the last unlockable chapter doesn't quite have the satisfying payoff it seemed to be promising.

Still, its an absorbing puzzle from start to finish and worth playing if you are into that.

Also true. If you’re expecting a super fancy closing chapter, it’s a bit of a thud. But it’s still great!

I’m super tempted to do an LP showing how you deduce everything step by step.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

kater posted:

Stellaris is removing tiles??? Holy poo poo that was like 80% of the game.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1030055425184555009

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I just played through Detention. It took me a couple of hours to beat, and it was extremely good. It felt a little bit like SIlent Hill 2 - in the best possible way - at times, but was mostly it's own unique and very powerful experience. If you're looking for something spooky, sad and short I'd highly recommend it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

:geno: Very good, another day's work well and done.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it because it leaves so much unexplained? I kinda like it but I can see it being frustrating too.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
In Obra Dinn, is there a way to view each death scene without having to run to each body? Can I do it through the book somehow?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Spaseman posted:

In Obra Dinn, is there a way to view each death scene without having to run to each body? Can I do it through the book somehow?

Not that I found, I think that is nearly my only major complaint with the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Spaseman posted:

You have to go to the bodies. What you can do though is zoom in on a person and go into your journal which will send you straight to that person's entry.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Spaseman posted:

No, you have to go to the body each time. Unless there’s an undocumented feature. It’s a bit of a pain at first, but I grew on it; it gives you a sense of context and place for things that helps in the back half.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StrixNebulosa posted:

That is a good title.

Bummer, I like the spooky titles.

As with all thread titles, just pm the mod (VideoGames) if you want a new one or like the old one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm playing LEGO DC Super-villains with a friend of mine and I'm surprised at how much I like it. I really like the whole open world part. Are other LEGO games worth checking out? Is there a LEGO game thread?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I liked Lego City Undercover.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LCU is a great game

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Nthing the praise for Obra Dinn, it's one of the best puzzle games I've played in a long time, and really scratches the same investigative itch that The Sexy Brutale or the Ace Attorney series does.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:geno: Very good, another day's work well and done.

Is it because it leaves so much unexplained? I kinda like it but I can see it being frustrating too.

Maybe you could say that, but (Major Spoilers) to me the story even without that missing chapter is pretty straightforward: A ship and its crew are doomed due to greed, cursed treasure, and general incompetence. But holding back the chapter like that implies some secret that would recontextualize the entire story. Then you get to it...and it does not. It explains a few things, including why the ship came back, and that drat twinkling off the side of the ship. But that is pretty much it. Maybe that is the point, that there wasn’t some twist and it was just another job for the insurance inspector. Still a bit of a let down though

Edit: looking at it as a bookend, it serves better as that

That said, I hope a sequel or two comes out of this. I would play a few more investigate em ups like this.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 21, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

What on earth possessed Valve to give developers the ability to revoke keys? It seems like a potential liability headache for Valve without any legitimate use cases.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Stickman posted:

What on earth possessed Valve to give developers the ability to revoke keys? It seems like a potential liability headache for Valve without any legitimate use cases.

Revoking stolen/scammed keys sold at Kinguin/G2A.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Is Resonance of Fate the one with the ridiculous gun attachments

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm playing LEGO DC Super-villains with a friend of mine and I'm surprised at how much I like it. I really like the whole open world part. Are other LEGO games worth checking out? Is there a LEGO game thread?

Be aware that all the LEGO games have severe bugs, particularly DSV's Level 4 having a tendency to not trigger the means to progress and complete it.

Sucks, because I love this game and all the famious DCAU voices that return.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Is Resonance of Fate the one with the ridiculous gun attachments
Yeah. But it's kind of overstated, it's equivalent to RPGs where you fill your weapon with ten bear butts for +1 attack.

The real part of the game is that when you shoot the bear in the butt, the butts fall off.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

zedprime posted:

Yeah. But it's kind of overstated, it's equivalent to RPGs where you fill your weapon with ten bear butts for +1 attack.

The real part of the game is that when you shoot the bear in the butt, the butts fall off.

It's still a pretty fun optimization placement puzzle dealie. Figuring out how to fit one more scope in the Tetris grid is highly entertaining.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is The Hex worth playing? I only played a bit of Pony Island and liked it well enough.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sininu posted:

Shouldn't those go through Valve rather than the developer, though? Valve being lazy as gently caress isn't out of character, I suppose.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 21, 2018

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sininu posted:

It was always great when people asked if X was shady, got a universal "yes, its black market keys" and someone always had to chime in and say "so what, its cheap games?"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stickman posted:

There should have been a whole discussion / internet uprising when purchasing games somehow turned into "you only pay to rent these games for an indefinite period, and we can revoke that privilege at will"... but there wasn't.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

There should have been a whole discussion / internet uprising when purchasing games somehow turned into "you only pay to rent these games for an indefinite period, and we can revoke that privilege at will"... but there wasn't.

there absolutely was. it's just that for 99% of people, convenience won and consumer rights lost.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Stickman posted:

"Somebody stole a shipment of games before they arrived at Wal-Mart"

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Xander77 posted:

I think games have always worked that way in theory, it's just that digital distribution allows them to make good on the threat. Hell, movies have been screaming at us that we don't own the thing we bought for decades

Doesn't make it any less anti-consumer, but we never really had a chance to fight it

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm in an airport waiting for a connection and the only game installed on my laptop is God Eater Resurrection. But I'm too embarrassed to play it in public...

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm in an airport waiting for a connection and the only game installed on my laptop is God Eater Resurrection. But I'm too embarrassed to play it in public...

everyone in an airport is too embarassed to be there in the first place, go for it my dude

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
this isn't a steam question but the shitposting thread didn't answer

is there no fortnite thread? I am having trouble finding it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Alan Smithee posted:

this isn't a steam question but the shitposting thread didn't answer

is there no fortnite thread? I am having trouble finding it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853386&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Necrothatcher posted:

Just skip the cutscenes, they're really bad anyway.