Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

So is this version officially dead? It's been a while since the last update

Probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's pretty obvious at this point that ONE's using the time he would be drawing the webcomic to be doing storyboards for Murata instead. And really it kind of makes sense, considering that's the version that presumably actually makes him money.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh no his serious hobby has become his serious job

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Serious Series: Consecutive Normal Panels

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It sure is weird reading these two characters get killed as a gag in like 2 pages in the original, and them having an entire fully fleshed out fight in the redraw. It’s really killing the humour

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Terror Sweat posted:

It sure is weird reading these two characters get killed as a gag in like 2 pages in the original, and them having an entire fully fleshed out fight in the redraw. It’s really killing the humour

But Murata is making it feel so good man.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Terror Sweat posted:

The hotrod brothers were the Webcomic introduction to Flashy Flash, but hes long since been introduced in the manga.
If the wanted to keep the hotrods theyd have showed up on the surface fight.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

They’re two speedster brothers with the exact same name fighting the exact same character who is clearly going to chump them in one panel again

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, anyone could predict how this fight is going to end. two ninjas think they are faster than the fast guy, but then it turns out they are not and they lose. except, the execution of this simple idea is all but guaranteed to look super fuckin' cool.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Terror Sweat posted:

They’re two speedster brothers with the exact same name fighting the exact same character who is clearly going to chump them in one panel again

We're like twenty panels too late for that.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The gag this time has to do with them repeatedly asking Flash if that's his fastest speed. They've done it twice, and he's ignored it both times. So comedy rule of three: they'll ask it again after he's already killed them without them realizing it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I just want to see Murata's take on that panel reveal where the two of their heads are still talking while actually pierced by the sword. If we don't get that I'll be slightly disappointed (but not really cause this is a rad fight so far)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just wanna see Flashy Quick's special technique. Everyone but Tatsumaki and Bofoy seem like they've got one.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, anyone could predict how this fight is going to end. two ninjas think they are faster than the fast guy, but then it turns out they are not and they lose. except, the execution of this simple idea is all but guaranteed to look super fuckin' cool.

Cant wait for Phoenix man, the man who got his powers from wearing a furry costume, gets 3 issues of him trying to murder a child

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Terror Sweat posted:

Cant wait for Phoenix man, the man who got his powers from wearing a furry costume, gets 3 issues of him trying to murder a child

I mean he's gotten significantly more backstory and characterization in the manga than most of the webcomic characters so. :v

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

Trading well-paced humor for lovingly-rendered spectacle is a consistent trend in the Murata version, one that's only become more prevalent as the story progresses. Unlike the webcomic, it's much less a full parody and more a conventional, if self-aware, shonen story.

To be clear, I don't think that's a good or bad thing, just different. I like both versions.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Rigged Death Trap posted:

HAhahahah holy poo poo I forgot those two

I remember that most of the monsters have similar gimmicks as the heroes, but I forgot all of them except Zombie man fights a vampire and Watchdogman is mirrored by the giant guard dog monster. WDM stays home so guard dog never meets him.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

Lmao it actually happened

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Skippy McPants posted:

Trading well-paced humor for lovingly-rendered spectacle is a consistent trend in the Murata version, one that's only become more prevalent as the story progresses. Unlike the webcomic, it's much less a full parody and more a conventional, if self-aware, shonen story.

To be clear, I don't think that's a good or bad thing, just different. I like both versions.

Good or bad aside, it's really, really strange.

It's like watching a youtube abridged version of some shonen -- except in reverse!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I really enjoy both, but Murata's version almost feels like more of a fanserviced, unabridged version for existing fans, which makes sense since he was an existing fan and he clearly loves drawing more and more. There's definitely at this point the distinction that Murata's version is played more like a straight shounen than ONE's, and for a comedy manga I really prefer the original's pacing. But for the spectacle, I cannot deny that I'm loving all these extended renditions of the fights and enjoying the S-Class heroes having more time.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 20, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Schwarzwald posted:

Good or bad aside, it's really, really strange.

It's like watching a youtube abridged version of some shonen -- except in reverse!

:eyepop: that is the most perfect description i've ever heard. I really do prefer the original ONE version, from the man so funny he created an abridged series out of nothing. Murata's obsession with drawing has brought so much joy into the world, though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
whatever you think is lost in extending certain sequences ive gotta say Murata's art just makes everything sweeter. One's writing x 100 extra pages of lovingly rendered art? Sure.

I read all of One's version and the art holds it back so much. I can still enjoy the composition and obviously its "tighter", which is generally but not always positive in media, but poo poo man give me 20 extra pages of phoenix man.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spare me the 20 pages of Phoenix man and give me 40 pages of Homeless Emperor's God.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Spare me the 20 pages of Phoenix man and give me 40 pages of Homeless Emperor's God.

Murata: Por que no los dos?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So my friend read the newest chapter and apparently Child Emperor has a mech buddy that looks like the G-Self from Gundam Reconguista in G?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So my friend read the newest chapter and apparently Child Emperor has a mech buddy that looks like the G-Self from Gundam Reconguista in G?

Eh, a tiny bit, if I'm thinking of the right mech. (The shoulders are more Jegan, for example.)

But maybe I'm forgetting something.

Child Emperor has a lot of robots.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really appreciate both ONE and Murata's ability to make a manga about Saitama barely feature Saitama to conserve the timing of the joke and his appearances, and instead focus on such a huge cast while making all of them incredibly cool and fun to watch. Even though I know how the current manga's arc is gonna end, there's still a nice tension in the way it is written considering the entire joke of the manga is Saitama popping up and one-shotting things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's super satisfying to see the villains indulge in cliche monologues that go on just long enough to annoy the reader and then cheer as Saitama blows them up immediately after.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Elentor posted:

I really appreciate both ONE and Murata's ability to make a manga about Saitama barely feature Saitama to conserve the timing of the joke and his appearances, and instead focus on such a huge cast while making all of them incredibly cool and fun to watch. Even though I know how the current manga's arc is gonna end, there's still a nice tension in the way it is written considering the entire joke of the manga is Saitama popping up and one-shotting things.

Well the manga hasnt deviated on larger details yet.
Bet that Garou will tear apart orochi at some point, probably right before he goes super. Maybe as Tatsumaki flips the base.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Not a fan of the new changes. Originally it was heroes are supercocky, walk in without really caring and just mopping the floor with these chumps in one panel. This leads to a dramatic reversal when it suddenly happens to them instead.

But now all the joke chumps are putting up a fight and it’s gone from gag villain —> guy you think is a gag but a deadly threat
to
Super strong villain who put up a fight —> even stronger villain who puts up a bigger fight

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm okay with the changes, even if some of the comedy is lost. Shame it'll probably take another half year or so to get to serious table flip though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Xarbala posted:

I'm okay with the changes, even if some of the comedy is lost. Shame it'll probably take another half year or so to get to serious table flip though.

It's gonna be a 200 page flipbook chapter though

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Xarbala posted:

it's not just the comedy, it's the tight pacing and dramatic tension that's suffering from the bloat, too

Jerkface posted:

whatever you think is lost in extending certain sequences ive gotta say Murata's art just makes everything sweeter. One's writing x 100 extra pages of lovingly rendered art? Sure.

I agree with that in regards to the early chapters, for example, the build up and fight with Ashura Rhino was brilliant in the Muruta version because all the added details didn't distract from the primary focus of the story, it moved at the same pace and all the added detail was there to make the fight even more dynamic and the punch line at the end even funnier.

But at this point, the added detail is making the comic bloated and the story drag hard. I haven't even read the newest chapter, there's just zero interest for me right now, because it's becoming a bit of a slog to get through all these additions that don't actually add anything of substance beyond "cool art"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It’s a very weird and conflicting emotion. I keep wondering when we’re going to leave the fireworks factory. I just want to see the four page spread of saitama picking his nose.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm enjoying the new material but it definitely feels like it's dragging on too long. Way way too long. Even if it ends up being a worthwhile action segment, it's so wildly different from the original. I don't think it's really a good/bad thing but it's definitely dropped the ball on the pacing.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I wonder if the remake will simply end with this arc... would explain why everyone is getting their moment to shine.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Piriwi posted:

I wonder if the remake will simply end with this arc... would explain why everyone is getting their moment to shine.

very unlikely, since the comic is still very popular and season 2 of the anime is probably gonna boost that popularity again

the more likely end is that the webcomic is never completed and the Murata version catches up then passes it

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

OPM has stopped being the webcomic I think. Might be a case of too many cooks as editors and the publisher try to get their wants in.

So im just going to relegate myself to waiting for ONEs next project after MP100.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

OPM has stopped being the webcomic I think. Might be a case of too many cooks as editors and the publisher try to get their wants in.

So im just going to relegate myself to waiting for ONEs next project after MP100.

But... we already have the next thing. There's a Reigen and Tome manga. It's ongoing right now. Updated just last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chiasaur11 posted:

But... we already have the next thing. There's a Reigen and Tome manga. It's ongoing right now. Updated just last month.

Something completely new, not a spinoff manga.