Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ravenkult posted:

nobody wants to play with toxic shitheads in real life.

I think the 'rpg horror stories' thread is long-since gassed and banned, but I think one lesson from it was maybe nobody wants to play with those jerks, but a whole lot of people do anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It’s still going, they just combined it with the good rpg stories thread because there was very little activity in the latter and the former was getting to the point of utter despair.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Imagine a lot of those stories ended up with people who think hygiene is optional being banned.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1051663114335346689

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/metaltango/status/1050848808110673920?s=19

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fritz posted:

I think the 'rpg horror stories' thread is long-since gassed and banned, but I think one lesson from it was maybe nobody wants to play with those jerks, but a whole lot of people do anyway.

The Geek Social Fallacies is 15 years old. As much of a tabletop nerd as I am it's pretty incorrect to say that tabletop gaming doesn't have a shithead problem because of the face-to-face aspect, though I will venture that it's probably gotten better nowadays in a general sense even if there are still lovely people involved at various levels (from players to creators). More games these days include sections on things like handling potentially problematic content at the table and giving groups clear guidelines on how to say "yeah actually I'm not really comfortable with this" and while some people have criticized the recent trend of popular podcast/recorded RPG sessions for one reason or another, at the very least they've done a lot to push an impression of what a cool gaming session looks like that doesn't involve Bob the GM having Janet's sorceress get gangraped by orcs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

The post above literally says you can reply however you like. I'm not sure it can be made any clearer.

By saying that telling Nazis to gently caress off isn't harassment, in as many words.

Since that's what got your undies in a twist last time and lead to you closing that thread and restarting it instead of just, I dunno, not telling queer people to ignore people being lovely

On a scale of one to ten being more concerned about preserving a civil discourse than the feelings of marginalized people in the face of people who are at best apathetic to their existence is the dumbest thing you could do

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 16, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well 420 Gank Mid and I spoke via PM hours ago and I added clarification in the exact terms they suggested to the first rule but since you apparently need even more than that I've added it again to the bottom of the post.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thank you! I'm glad you finally acknowledged that it's cool and good to tell shitheads to choke on farts

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nazis and bad faith actors, attempt no landing here

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

site posted:

[nerd]I actually get this.[/nerd]

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gynovore posted:

[nerd]I actually get this.[/nerd]

NONE OF THESE GAMES ARE YOURS EXCEPT WHITE WOLF

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Thank you XO. Clear concise rules, with the perfect gently caress Nazis exception.

Let us discuss the gaters and their failures.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

site posted:

A bit of a collar-tugger considering the original context was in keeping foreigners out of Europa.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't think letting the cold war powers race to colonize a planet with primitive life is the better option there but maybe I'm in the minority on that one

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Joke was nazis also want to keep foreigners out of Europ(e|a). (see also neo-nazi group Identity Evropa)

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Blockhouse posted:

Basically I think it's up to people in nerd communities to clean their own house, and comics were pretty loving bad about it. Now we've got this. And this isn't forever. The energy will always taper off or go to other places (just hopefully not "ruining the rest of the world" like GG did) but it should make people be more vigilant from now on.

I ran a miniatures game (not Warhams) in a shop in the mid-oughts. At peak we had a few dozen players weekly, including women and kids. There were min/max hardcore players but they never pulled any harassment (or mean gaming horseshit on the kids) because not only did I not put up with that poo poo and had it spelled out in my house rules, but the shop manager and workers didn’t either. The manager had no qualms kicking guys out of the store who made nasty remarks (for example: making fun of a costumed overweight women on a packed weekend event night with a huge line of people watching) or intimidating would-be creeps to the point of their not returning to the shop. In retrospect my games actually helped some awkward nerds make friends and I think even a couple formed out of it.

But yeah, it was absolutely doing the work in our space to say “hey, bad behavior will NOT be tolerated” that kept it out. And in all honestly this was years before I recognized my own personal issues and I STILL managed to help make a fun, positive space to play games and socialize in.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Thank you! I'm glad you finally acknowledged that it's cool and good to tell shitheads to choke on farts

Agreed, this is cool and good.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 17, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm going to be that guy and just point out that the TRPG industry is super lopsidded and has a TON of issues, like Zak S, and we actually have a thread, as many of you already know, to discuss its problems. It's just not as big as comics so "gate" movements can't gain momentum and less gets reported about it.

Like, I'm not trying to be a downer or an rear end in a top hat or whatever, but it feels a bit like we are glossing over some of the really bad poo poo that happens in that industry too. I used to be super into TRPG stuff (though I chilled on that) so I remember following the BS alot so it just seems weird to not recognize it to me. Like, when a harassment campaign was run against Funhaver studios, that posted here, where they outed the creator as a trans woman and harassed her into shutting down her business. And then the guy who organized it got a special thanks in D&D 5e (It's worth noting Mearls, the head of 5e, refuses to believe it happened, officially, and not that he knows and is okay with that, according to what he says).

It's also that a lot of the bad things in the TG industry are super isolated. Almost all businesses are sole proprietorship with no employees. Hell, I run one. So, there is less grounds for big, bad poo poo to happen. Though, it still does like with White Wolf and the sexual harassment guy (or was that Paizo?). Most of the b.s. happens in lovely game shops or lovely game tables or lovely game companies that think "rape is a joke" or the near constant "pay in exposure/paycheck got lost in the mail for reals" bullshit or from just the gross under-representation of non-white cis het people (like when that gay guy got harassed at the MtG tournament for having some gay fan art when lesbian fan art from het male players was considered fine).

Like, I just felt the need to say all that.

Edit: I think I may be mistaken about the vibe and spoke without thinking and now have made an rear end out of myself.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 17, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Reading the new frontier for the first time, and besides all the accolades i could bestow on Darwyn's work for the book itself, which is obvious by now,... HOW COULD ANYONE, even an alt right Nazi dipshit, THINK THAT DARWYN COOKE would be on their side after reading this

Oh that's right, they didn't

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

It's because they are dumb as gently caress.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's because they don't actually read any of these comics that they complain about, or in some cases, comics at all.

You could say they are... Fake Geek Guys.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rochallor posted:

It's because they don't actually read any of these comics that they complain about, or in some cases, comics at all.

You could say they are... Fake Geek Guys.

What they seem to want is to FEEL the way they did as a pre-teen, and believe that if society/entertainment as they remembered it returned to that stage, they would regain it.

It's like Peter Pan syndrome, but worse.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mark Waid opened a gofundme to raise legal funds for D+C 'n Pals' lawsuit against him.
https://www.gofundme.com/mark-waids-legal-defense-fund

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tynion donated 400 (or 200 recorded twice?) and Slott 500 so far looks like

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I kicked him $5.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It will be interesting to see which creators donate to this publicly.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Gaiman tossed in $250 too

Oh and Mark Guggenheim toss in $1000

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guggenheim has TV money. Lots of it. So I'm not surprised at that amount. Most comic creators are not lucky enough to have that kind of money to throw around.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kelly Thompson 400/ 200??

Lemire 100

Tomasi 50

MaggsV 50

Jim Zub 100

Matt Rosenberg 50

Al ewing 200

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Other names I recognized

Geoffrey Thorne
Shawn Kirkham
Dean Haspiel
Hart Seely
Chris Ryall
Gerry Conway
Joe Henderson
Clayton Cowles
Reilly Brown
Joe Keatinge

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just donated.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mark Waid opened a gofundme to raise legal funds for D+C 'n Pals' lawsuit against him.
https://www.gofundme.com/mark-waids-legal-defense-fund

Looks like a few chuds are posting comments trying to call Waid a bully, among other things.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
Chipped in $10.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

30K in a day is pretty impressive. I look forward to dickie's upcoming sad fundraiser.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
I saw Mike Norton and Erik Larsen on the list more recently.

This whole thing will be incredibly useful as a guide to creators who are anti-CG. They're literally putting their money where their mouths are.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Speak posted:

I saw Mike Norton and Erik Larsen on the list more recently.

This whole thing will be incredibly useful as a guide to creators who are anti-CG. They're literally putting their money where their mouths are.

Jordan White and Fred Van Lente too

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lemire and Tomasi.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Eric Powell is on there too. Very comforting considering I like The Goon, but some of it would fit right into the CG narrative.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
John Ostrander is on there too. However the cheapskate only gave twenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

David D. Davidson posted:

John Ostrander is on there too. However the cheapskate only gave twenty.

To be fair, we are talking about comics writers here.