Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I’m rewatching daredevil seasons to watch season 3. I assume I’d also need to watch defenders? I hear it’s not very good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The recap before S3 should cover it for you, and the characters discuss it a decent amount in the first few episodes, but all you really need to know is what happened in the finale for Defenders tbh

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

esperterra posted:

Karen owns and I appreciate you for being one of like 4? people in this thread not complaining about one of the main characters apparently being a waste of time lmao

Karen is great, as is the entire cast, and I enjoyed the episode where they fleshed out her history. Finished this up last night and I really don't get the complaints I'm reading. It's right up there with DDs1 and Punisher as far as I'm concerned.

Vanessa is chilling in a way that's hard for me to put my finger on and the way she manipulates and controls Wilson is really effective. I kept expecting someone along the way to try and figure out a way to get to her since she's basically Fisk's only real exploitable weakness. Was waiting for the "let's hit him where it hurts most" idea to come up.

Couple of things still eat at me but it's mostly nitpicking.

- Still confused about Fisk's panic room/underground lair. How can he keep hiding down there if he's under constant surveillance? If the FBI is complicit and under his control then why does need to conceal the room and pretend it's not there?

- Why the gently caress did Bullseye hardly ever use a gun? I counted the FBI shootout where he saves Fisk, when he shot at Nadeem and when he assassinated the witness but why did he need to dress as DD to take out Karen Page? Even if it's "he needed to pass as DD", it doesn't matter because not only is he trying to frame Matt as a killer but he's already used a gun in the newsroom attack.

For that matter, if he's not going to use a firearm, why doesn't he bring some throwing weapons with him - throwing stars or knives - rather than constantly improvising?

- What was the deal with Karen's brother burning down her boyfriend's trailer? I know he was mad at the dude but holy poo poo. That whole sequence confused me and felt very abrupt.

- The show failed to generate tension with one of its main plot points: Will Matt Kill or Won't He? Because we know he's not going to go through with it. People seem let down with the finale and, while it was somewhat of a fizzle, the beat down Matt delivers was loving brutal and I liked the bright, white lighting and color palette they used in contrast to most of Matt's fights being really dark .

- what was the point of killing Bullseye's confidant/sponsor? Fisk already had Dex under his control and she had already frozen him out. Seemed pointless. I guess Fisk wanted to eliminate the possibility of Dex finding help but it felt odd.

I love the beehive/hornet's nest score whenever Dex is freaking the gently caress out.

Where to go next? "Devil Cell Block D" was fairly touched on and would seem redundant. Maybe bring in Owl and Typhoid Mary and do the tabloid "Matt Murdock is Daredevil" thing. Bendis and Brubaker did some great stuff that they could use but then again this seems like a good spot to end and Netflix seems to want to wrap these shows up for some reason. The finale hinted at Bullseye coming back but not sure what you can add to that to make it interesting even though I loved the character.

You could have Wilson tell Owlsley's son that Karen killed him and have him become Owl, using Bullseye to try and kill her. I'm just bummed that there's no more now. Binged through this thing in 2 days. Maybe I'll re-watch Punisher.

Great loving season. Don't believe the haters.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I had forgotten how much punishment Matt takes, even before getting his magical stabproof suit

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

esperterra posted:

Karen owns and I appreciate you for being one of like 4? people in this thread not complaining about one of the main characters apparently being a waste of time lmao

I liked the arc for both Karen and Foggy and felt like if you just wanted to tell a Matt story you could have cut them, but they're part of the ensemble and while they didn't feel SUPER important, I liked how they used them; for the most part. I will complain about the Karen backstory sequence but it's not particularly long so I didn't feel like they were really padding with it. It also wasn't as jarring to the narrative as it was in some of the other Netflix shows when they cut off the action at the climax.

Calaveron posted:

I had forgotten how much punishment Matt takes, even before getting his magical stabproof suit

One thing I liked in this regard is that Daredevil never beats up Bullseye by the end. In every brawl they have Bullseye is continually shown to be the better fighter and Daredevil is repeatedly saved by the intervention of others. I thought that was a nice touch, particularly if they want to bring him back.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

One thing I liked in this regard is that Daredevil never beats up Bullseye by the end. In every brawl they have Bullseye is continually shown to be the better fighter and Daredevil is repeatedly saved by the intervention of others. I thought that was a nice touch, particularly if they want to bring him back.

Matt was dominating the fights when it went hand to hand, and Matt mentions that the problem with fighting with Bullseye was closing the distance. He even starts wearing the Muay Thai ropes to increase the close-up damage he was doing. Bullseye was great at playing to his strengths though and throwing things, like scissors.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Koalas Massacre posted:

So much this. It seemed like despite Luke being the main character they didn't really know what to do with him or use his powers. Exploring "Can a good guy do bad things for a good reason?" Sounded really interesting, and Harlem is probably the best setting and most "alive" feeling in the Netflix marvel universe. Not only that but by cutting out LC/IF they're gutting all their diversity as far as poc go.

JJ s2 was way worse than LC s2, and they continually treat Malcolm like poo poo, have no intersectionality/woc and DD is even worse.

I kind of can't see them keeping Jessica around while dropping Luke. I'm assuming they just haven't made an announcement, or they're too far along with the next season to bail on her yet. But I'm saying that as someone who couldn't finish JJS2, I obviously have no idea what the Ratings say.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

PaybackJack posted:

That's the opposite of how each of their hand-to-hand encounters went. Bullseye was only able to gain the upper hand by kiting Matt around.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Finished DDS3 and I'd have to say I enjoyed it but it definitely didn't need to be 13 episodes. There was a ton of filler in there.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Finished DDS3 and I'd have to say I enjoyed it but it definitely didn't need to be 13 episodes. There was a ton of filler in there.

I'm on episode 10 and I feel this show should have ended here instead of getting a Karen Page flashback episode .

Also, on episode 9, young Maggie's casting was spot on...but she looked so young compared to Jack Murdock; I don't know if it was intentional but they added another weird aspect of their relationship. Also, Maggie sobbing in Matt's room was pretty bad; I couldn't tell if she was crying or laughing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was more excited about Luke Cage S3 than any other Marvel property, and my Netflix sub is down, i think im gonna leave DDS3 for a rainy day

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Does Karen gently caress up more spectacularly than when she gets Urich killed after taking his unwitting rear end to visit Kingpin's momma

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Couple of things still eat at me but it's mostly nitpicking.

- what was the point of killing Bullseye's confidant/sponsor? Fisk already had Dex under his control and she had already frozen him out. Seemed pointless. I guess Fisk wanted to eliminate the possibility of Dex finding help but it felt odd.

I assume Fisk had her killed after Dex went to her and told her he was falling apart. She was dead before she "froze him out." That was Fisk's men who sent that message.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Sammus posted:

I assume Fisk had her killed after Dex went to her and told her he was falling apart. She was dead before she "froze him out." That was Fisk's men who sent that message.

Yeah it took a while before I realised that's what happened.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Blackchamber posted:

Matt was dominating the fights when it went hand to hand, and Matt mentions that the problem with fighting with Bullseye was closing the distance. He even starts wearing the Muay Thai ropes to increase the close-up damage he was doing. Bullseye was great at playing to his strengths though and throwing things, like scissors.

Habibi posted:

That's the opposite of how each of their hand-to-hand encounters went. Bullseye was only able to gain the upper hand by kiting Matt around.

That's my point though. Matt could beat him in close range but was continuously outmaneuvered by Dex. It really gave a sense that Bullseye was a strong opponent that in their future encounters Matt will need to recruit assistance to help take down or try to create a situation where Bullseye walks into a trap that doesn't give him a chance to create distance.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Sammus posted:

(Spoiler on character death) Julie died on-camera. In both ways, as she was killed in the hotel by two guys posing as construction workers while Fisk watched via his creepy cameras.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

radlum posted:

I'm on episode 10 and I feel this show should have ended here instead of getting a Karen Page flashback episode .

Also, on episode 9, young Maggie's casting was spot on...but she looked so young compared to Jack Murdock; I don't know if it was intentional but they added another weird aspect of their relationship. Also, Maggie sobbing in Matt's room was pretty bad; I couldn't tell if she was crying or laughing.

There's some great stuff in the last few episodes including the conclusion of the season long build but they could have edited out like 80% of the foggy segments and cut some of the other padding and made 10 much better paced episodes. That being said I liked it for the most part.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

- Still confused about Fisk's panic room/underground lair. How can he keep hiding down there if he's under constant surveillance? If the FBI is complicit and under his control then why does need to conceal the room and pretend it's not there?

- What was the deal with Karen's brother burning down her boyfriend's trailer? I know he was mad at the dude but holy poo poo. That whole sequence confused me and felt very abrupt.

Only some of the FBI agents were complicit. I just assumed that the ankle monitor didn't check for the Z axis so as long as he stayed without the boundaries, he could go as high or low as he wanted. Which also doesn't make much sense considering that his whole penthouse has cameras except for his bedroom. Or just assume the hacker lady he had hostage did something. Or that agent Hattley did something. Or just assume it was the same reason that he kept Melvin and Julie's body in a freezer: because the plot said so.

Yea, that escalated very quickly. I guess he figured that having Karen's boyfriend around would keep her from going back to university but going from 0 to burning down his house is :stare:. He dumb. That whole flashback was bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Only some of the FBI agents were complicit. I just assumed that the ankle monitor didn't check for the Z axis so as long as he stayed without the boundaries, he could go as high or low as he wanted. Which also doesn't make much sense considering that his whole penthouse has cameras except for his bedroom. Or just assume the hacker lady he had hostage did something. Or that agent Hattley did something. Or just assume it was the same reason that he kept Melvin and Julie's body in a freezer: because the plot said so.

Yea, that escalated very quickly. I guess he figured that having Karen's boyfriend around would keep her from going back to university but going from 0 to burning down his house is :stare:. He dumb. That whole flashback was bad.

Was that confirmed that that was Melvin in the freezer? It looked like him but I wasn't sure. Guess it makes sense since he was another loose end but that hit (and the red headed counselor lady one) were breezed by so quick I didn't know what the gently caress.. I liked the Karen flashback episode for the most part (but knew other people would hate it) and I like the actor as well but the resolution seemed really rushed. It was one of the few times I hit rewind to go back and re-check myself. Did the same thing with Dex's counselor lady too.

Fisk's panic room and Bullseye eschewing firearms were the main things I thought were weird. Especially since they could have been explained and rectified rather easily

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just on Daredevil S03E06... What bugs the living poo poo out of me is that Bullseye, with his crappy FBI training, which he probably never applied outside training, can keep up with the martial arts and experience of Matt.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just on Daredevil S03E06... What bugs the living poo poo out of me is that Bullseye, with his crappy FBI training, which he probably never applied outside training, can keep up with the martial arts and experience of Matt.

I've been seeing this complaint a lot but he really doesn't last that long the fight total is about 5 minutes tops, he holds up in close combat with Matt for like a minute total and then realises he's going to get his rear end kicked so he gets away from him and starts using his ranged bullshit since that's where he's better. Even average goons can hold their own against Matt for a bit based on stuff like the hallway fight so it's not completely insane that a well trained FBI agent in good shape can hold out for a bit longer. I dunno, didn't bother me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I've been seeing this complaint a lot but he really doesn't last that long the fight total is about 5 minutes tops, he holds up in close combat with Matt for like a minute total and then realises he's going to get his rear end kicked so he gets away from him and starts using his ranged bullshit since that's where he's better. Even average goons can hold their own against Matt for a bit based on stuff like the hallway fight so it's not completely insane that a well trained FBI agent in good shape can hold out for a bit longer. I dunno, didn't bother me.

Didn't bother me either. Not much did, really. I thought the season was really strong and it had me hooked from the get go. I assumed he had at least a modicum of hand to hand close quarters combat skills even if it wasn't his primary strength. Plus just about everybody in these shows seems to know martial arts to one extent or another so whatever.

For those bitching about Foggy for whatever reason:

I've liked the character and the actor from the get go.

He's supposed to be sort of a goofy, well meaning, smart, doughy sort of loyal altruistic gently caress up who's in over his head with all Matt's shenanigans. The thing that the supporting characters did was establish and show that everyone can make a difference, however small, that battles are worth fighting, the law matters and that Murdock, Nelson and Page are stronger together than they are separate, despite Matt's pleading for them to stay out of it all.

This is born out in the conclusion and cements that theme rather explicitly.

Agent Nadeem was great too. Still not sure what everyone's issues are with the supporting characters in this show.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Arcon posted:

What if they cancelled Luke Cage so they could just make a properly titled Heroes for Hire show.

Probably not, but it sounds good :v:

I kind of figured this was what was happening. This and/or Daughters of the Dragon.

I hope so, at least. Iron Fist blows, but Luke, Misty and Colleen are cool.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Gumby posted:

(Spoiler on character death) Julie died on-camera. In both ways, as she was killed in the hotel by two guys posing as construction workers while Fisk watched via his creepy cameras.

No joke, the camera angle being so high up and tilted left me totally confused and unclear of why the scene was happening.

That's a demerit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

No joke, the camera angle being so high up and tilted left me totally confused and unclear of why the scene was happening.

That's a demerit.

Same. Not sure if I'd call it a demerit but it was really off hand and matter of fact in a way that clouded its clarity and purpose and sort of stripped it of its impact. Still not sure what its purpose was really.

I liked to poo poo when FBI lady cold shot that dude in the head in front of Nadeem though. That was jarring and something I didn't see coming.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just finished the season. Overall I liked, though I feel it was not even close to season 1 levels (and maybe season 2? as dumb as the Hand plot was, at least it was different).

One thing that bothered me through the season was Matt never wearing the suit; I was expecting him to take at least Dex's mask at the end, but nothing. Also, did they explain who was the blonde woman with glasses in Fisk's secret room? I feel like she just appeared out of nowhere

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

They should have just called Frank and wrapped everything up in 2 episodes.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't know so many people liked the punisher.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Matt was so close to realizing capitalism is the true enemy of the people.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaunab posted:

I didn't know so many people liked the punisher.

Are you making GBS threads me? He's been uber popular for decades.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Only two episodes in, but Foggy is still the best. He's such a low-key character, but of the Daredevil cast he's been my favorite in all three seasons (so far in S3, at least).

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
It was really sweet and thoughtful for Dex to get that painting for Fisk. :3:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Foggy's pretty great. The strength of the character helps make up for my not being overly fond of the actor's performance-- tho the further I get in this season, I must say he's doing a lot better this year!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah I can't help but like Foggy, he's the regular guy caught up in a total shitshow but he's trying to keep it together for his friends, I admire that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think Foggy is also consistently the most moral and idealistic person in the entire Daredevil series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rocksicles posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? He's been uber popular for decades.

I think he means the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oasx posted:

Starting episode 7 and so far the season has been a big disappointment. There have been no really good fight scenes, the plot is boring, Dex is just not that interesting of a character, and the idea that Wilson Fisk is suddenly a master manipulator feels silly. The whole plot of Matt being wanted is just not very interesting.
How in god's name did you witness the prison fight and walk away feeling like there were no good fight scenes?

I really liked this season and thought it was a great return to form after the wet fart that was literally everything that had anything to do with The Hand.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I honestly don't get the people who hate Foggy and Karen, I felt like their screen time was warranted and well used. Also surprised at everyone thinking the show was too slow or didn't have enough things happening. I binged watched it over two days and felt surprised around half-way through that I was only halfway through since it felt like a lot more happened plot wise.

Also surprised and pleased that they kept Vanessa alive. She was throwing death flags all over the place and I want to see them lean into the ammoral power-hungry manipulative mob-wife thing they seem to be going towards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think Foggy has a good actor and is mostly well written but framing his not killing Fisk perspective as "The system works" vs Matt's "Some people are above the law" made me really turn on him during that conversation. Like, look around you, dude.

Also the guy Fs with cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I like how the DA was fine letting Fisk out in order to catch other criminals, but when the FBI agent was trying to make a deal which would have taken down Fisk and a whole bunch of federal agents he couldn't take jail time off the table