Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Memento posted:

Hey Grappling Guys, I'm looking for a video I lost in a recent hard drive failure. It was from like 12 years ago that was set to the song Push It by Tool. It was from an ADCC tournament in the early 2000s and it featured (if I recall correctly) some of the finest scrambling I've ever seen in a no-gi tournament. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about? I went looking for it last week, and realised I probably lost it a few years ago.

I don't recall a match with that tune. ADCC has a lot of good rolls.

I was doing some Danaher Death Squad research and found Paulo Miyao vs. Nicky Ryan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU4ggGlkxcw
Great scrambling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Cyber Sandwich posted:

I don't recall a match with that tune. ADCC has a lot of good rolls.

I was doing some Danaher Death Squad research and found Paulo Miyao vs. Nicky Ryan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU4ggGlkxcw
Great scrambling.

Watching the old ADCC matches are always fun. The match between Cobrinha and AJ Agarzam is of particular interest to me, in the way Cobrinha uses the cradle to establish a back take.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think I just saw that Frank Mir is having a grappling match vs Forrest Griffin....... why

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I had sumo show up as a youtube rec today and having never really watched it before its surprisingly dope

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I had sumo show up as a youtube rec today and having never really watched it before its surprisingly dope

Sumo owns but the sport is like almost FIFA level corrupt tho

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I think I just saw that Frank Mir is having a grappling match vs Forrest Griffin....... why

I know it was Satoshi Ishii, but my god Frank Mir looked horrible at Quintet.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Just watched quintet 3, what a great show. I think they should modify their stand up rules a bit because there were times people got stood up when they were clearly working, but really cool night non the less.

Gordan Ryan sure is a powerhouse right now, Gregor Gracie and Craig Jones stand outs as well.

Can't see why there were people complaining about Misha Tate, she seemed pretty on the ball and technically correct pretty much the whole time.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

starkebn posted:

Just watched quintet 3, what a great show. I think they should modify their stand up rules a bit because there were times people got stood up when they were clearly working, but really cool night non the less.

Gordan Ryan sure is a powerhouse right now, Gregor Gracie and Craig Jones stand outs as well.

Can't see why there were people complaining about Misha Tate, she seemed pretty on the ball and technically correct pretty much the whole time.

I liked the fact they stood up guys a lot. I think it's meant so that people really have to push the pace and create mad scrambles. At points it was kind of unfair especially to Gordon, but it made for an entertaining night.

I did find Miesha had a hard time coming up with interesting banter at times and mistook a sub or two for something else. But overall I think she wasn't too bad for a first time commentating.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I thought it was worse to hear the other guy say "gorgeous!" for everything, and there really wasn't much time for 'banter'

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

starkebn posted:

I thought it was worse to hear the other guy say "gorgeous!" for everything, and there really wasn't much time for 'banter'

True, but what little there was didn't feel all that organic.

that announcer though was really working for his money that night. I'm looking forwards to hearing him some more in other events.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The problem with the Quintet rule set is that you can get penalized for not attacking even though you have full mount or back control or are defending a sub. 30 seconds is not enough time. I think 1 minute is adequate for a separation/stand up/a penalty

starkebn
May 18, 2004

JaySB posted:

The problem with the Quintet rule set is that you can get penalized for not attacking even though you have full mount or back control or are defending a sub. 30 seconds is not enough time. I think 1 minute is adequate for a separation/stand up/a penalty

Yeah, it just needs to be tweaked a little bit.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I won my match at blue. There was only one guy in my weight class so that means I get the gold, which I don't feel like I earned.

But I'm super happy. I thought I'd be smashed. He osoti-gari'd me nicely, but I was able to regain guard and go right into a triangle. Feels good man.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Kinda the same at my white belt. One other guy, we did best of three. They ended the first one by tech (15-0), which I didn’t realize was a thing outside of wrestling. Second match was a little more exciting, featuring getting back control and failing to finish both the rear naked and the lapel choke. I was also too chicken to go for the bow and arrow choke, so that’s definitely something to drill.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
hey guys do you know whats cool

brazilian jiu jitsu is cool

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hell yeah :respek:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I like to rub myself on sweaty men

Blackhouse mma open mat tomorrow woooooo

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I like to rub myself on sweaty men

Blackhouse mma open mat tomorrow woooooo

do you train there regularly or are you just visiting? I'm in the area for a while and looking for a new gym

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I should really start dieting instead of entering the next division up. And I should enter masters instead of adult. And I should probably do some preparation in the leadup to tournaments. Suffice to say, my day went badly

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What age range is Masters?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mekchu posted:

31+ to start and then it's Master's 1-5(?)+

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mekchu posted:

Where I am its 30-39... I think? Above that is Seniors.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

do you train there regularly or are you just visiting? I'm in the area for a while and looking for a new gym

i live on miami beach and have just started dropping in at this one: http://www.blackhousemiamibeach.com/

I don't train there but they have a free and open to the public open mat Sundays 10AM that I've been to twice with a buddy who is a blue belt under Cyborg (not the girl) who trains at his gym in miami, Fight Sports. The other guy whose coming next weekend has been doing bjj for like 2 months and is at Valenti Brothers in Coral gables.

My personal bjj experience is a few months at American Top Team, but I'm planning on getting back into it at the Rilion Gracie academy near my office after i finish my Q4 travel. Which will be pure bjj instead of no-gi and wrestling that I got at ATT.

We are all fairly new and the Blackhouse guys have been super welcoming, patient and friendly, know their stuff and are very eager to teach. They don't just smash my know nothing rear end into a fine paste, or if they do they explain whats going on. Def don't mind some glorified training dummies lol

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I should really start dieting instead of entering the next division up. And I should enter masters instead of adult. And I should probably do some preparation in the leadup to tournaments. Suffice to say, my day went badly
I used to drop weight to compete at Super Heavy (215 or less) Adult and walk around at Ultra Heavy. But recently I cut to light weight (162.5 or less) and I'm certain I could make featherweight if I wanted to really cut hard (149 or less). It'd be interesting to compete at so much lower a weight. I can currently compete at Master 4 but I've always done Adult back when I competed instead of the Masters.

Adult Light Black Belt would put me against guys like Gianni, AJ, Canuto, etc.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 21, 2018

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Mekchu posted:

For IBJJF it's done by birth year. You can do Masters 1 at 29 and then it's 5-year increments from there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

When tying a BJJ belt, does the black bar (where stripes go) sit on the left, or the right?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Count Roland posted:

When tying a BJJ belt, does the black bar (where stripes go) sit on the left, or the right?

Always on left I have been told

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Always on left I have been told

We have had this argument in our gym multiple times. End conclusion: It doesnt matter. If you look at some of the grandmasters, even they have it on the left for some people and the right for others.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I thought it was whether you were a top or a bottom.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
But what if you’re a power bottom?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a stripe promotion tonight putting me back at my old stripe level* from back when I trained in the US in the forgotten times of 2011. Feels good because now I can finally get that blue I've been close to for the better part of a decade.

(I restarted as a fresh white belt last year)

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 22, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Question for you guys: How do you guys overcome dealing with hesitation? I roll with faster people than me and I swear it fucks with my head and then I start to hesitate with poo poo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Question for you guys: How do you guys overcome dealing with hesitation? I roll with faster people than me and I swear it fucks with my head and then I start to hesitate with poo poo.

Just see what happens? You aren't going to die. Success or failure both teach lessons.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Just go for it and if you gently caress up and wind up in a bad situation don't hulk out trying to escape. Knowing you can lose quickly and reset is liberating -- sparring with the idea that you need to "win" is what makes intermediate grapplers stagnate.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

When you roll with people faster than you, you have to slow it down. Usually, this is by getting on top (via sweep, because if they are faster they usually have top position), and squishing the absolute gently caress out of them for 99% of the round, and then hitting a sub as the round expires. Because you sure as poo poo don't want things to go back to a neutral position.

Your goal when rolling with someone faster than you is to become a speed vampire and grind them into dust. You don't need to hesitate when you have a game plan that you need to carry out against them.

Alternately, gently caress it, do a leg lock.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

When you roll with people faster than you, you have to slow it down. Usually, this is by getting on top (via sweep, because if they are faster they usually have top position), and squishing the absolute gently caress out of them for 99% of the round, and then hitting a sub as the round expires. Because you sure as poo poo don't want things to go back to a neutral position.

Your goal when rolling with someone faster than you is to become a speed vampire and grind them into dust. You don't need to hesitate when you have a game plan that you need to carry out against them.

Alternately,
gently caress it, do a leg lock.

People have been calling me a foot fetishist lately but I realized that's only because they've gotten good at defending my plans A and B, so plan C comes out to play and

Drewjitsu posted:

gently caress it, do a leg lock.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Leglocks are good because if people have to worry about the other half of their body you can get more going even with the traditional attacks.

I had a coach in my travels who started in Sambo and then got a bjj black belt. He trained his guys to hunt for the neck or the feet at all times. If you can't get one you can often find the other, or an arm attack kinda falls out in the middle.

It was so aggressive even their blues were killing machines if didn't 100% control a match. I really appreciated that guy and wish I was there longer. He also aways ragged on traditional BJJ as for the lazy and mentally weak which was totally a bit but still got some great reactions.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Welp, I found a huge glaring hole in my game.

I suck at neutral bottom guard. Like if I'm sitting there and my opponent is standing there and I think to myself "I'm not gonna cause a scramble or stand up, I'm gonna have my opponent engage me and I'm gonna try to go to a guard and play a guard." I get toreando'd or knee cut and I get passed. Once we're pass that initial kerfluffle it's fine. I'll reguard and play guard and it's fine, or I'll get a reversal and it's fine. It's real sad, if I had to guess from playing pass and sweep today I'd get to any guard from neutral like... 10% of the time and get pretty much passed the rest.

So I guess I'm gonna be playing neutral pass and sweep for the next five months or what ever instead of free rolling. Any one have any advice on going from bottom neutral to a guard?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 22, 2018

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Defenestrategy posted:

Welp, I found a huge glaring hole in my game.

I suck at neutral bottom guard. Like if I'm sitting there and my opponent is standing there and I think to myself "I'm not gonna cause a scramble or stand up, I'm gonna have my opponent engage me and I'm gonna try to go to a guard and play a guard." I get toreando'd or knee cut and I get passed. Once we're pass that initial kerfluffle it's fine. I'll reguard and play guard and it's fine, or I'll get a reversal and it's fine. It's real sad, if I had to guess from playing pass and sweep today I'd get to any guard from neutral like... 10% of the time and get pretty much passed the rest.

So I guess I'm gonna be playing neutral pass and sweep for the next five months or what ever instead of free rolling. Any one have any advice on going from bottom neutral to a guard?

Have a guard in mind and look to establish your guard grips/contact before he can establish his passing grips/contact. It's time to get rid of the idea of a "neutral" guard and only develop an "aggressive" guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I rolled with a guy who was there for the first time today. It was my 13th time. He had never done BJJ before but had done some wrestling. He was strong as hell and bigger than me so he pretty easily got me into side control, but he had no idea about "guard" as a concept so it was pretty easy to shrimp out and get him in my guard.

So even though I couldn't really do anything to him since he was strong and I'm still bad, it was fun to roll with someone newer than me and realize that I've progressed from knowing absolutely nothing to knowing a tiny bit more than this random guy!

And then I rolled with another white belt and got tapped about a hundred times in 4 minutes. Good times!