Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
i have nothing to say but EAT poo poo SETSUNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nikkaido was Nikkaidone after that one.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Unless you get your neck snapped and then dropped on your head you'll be up and fight ready in no time at all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he doesn't use his left arm again after taking the rakshasas palm

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man, the whole "losing the tournament doesn't mean you're out of the story because of shady background poo poo" plus "characters too injured to fight in future rounds and this can be substituted (potentially with fighters who have lost already) give this comic a leg up on your typical battle manga elimination tourney

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Gensai also says "you've managed to make me abandon my left arm": https://mangadex.org/chapter/467203/19

Which leans towards at least unusable for now

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Gensai also says "you've managed to make me abandon my left arm": https://mangadex.org/chapter/467203/19

He's literally holding Kiryu back with his left arm in the page before that, with a grip strong enough to leave visible indents on Kiryu's muscles. Hell, the panel before that. He doesn't seem actually hurt at all, unlike the previous person we saw get hosed up by Rakshasa's Palm.

I read that line as "you forced me to deliberately take damage in order to kill you", like a sort of "it's regrettable that my invincible technique got pushed this far", rather than "it's regrettable that my arm is busted and unusable now".

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

For that match... which is now over. I'm sure it'll be fine by the next one.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wow wait poo poo, is Kiryu dead? I was still half asleep when I first read the chapter but it looks like Kuroki straight up murdered him.

Then again, a pierced heart is a relatively minor wound in this tournament, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him knocking back a beer with Kuroki next chapter.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

He's literally holding Kiryu back with his left arm in the page before that, with a grip strong enough to leave visible indents on Kiryu's muscles. Hell, the panel before that. He doesn't seem actually hurt at all, unlike the previous person we saw get hosed up by Rakshasa's Palm.

I read that line as "you forced me to deliberately take damage in order to kill you", like a sort of "it's regrettable that my invincible technique got pushed this far", rather than "it's regrettable that my arm is busted and unusable now".

that's fair and let's be honest it's a manga and Hanafusa took an even crazier attack and is fine

Begemot posted:

For that match... which is now over. I'm sure it'll be fine by the next one.

basically this

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Also one cool panel this chapeter is Kiryu throwing blood into Kuroki's eyes after having his hand pierced and Kuroki doesn't even blink

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I think Gensai at least meant to kill him and probably did but this is Kengan Ashura so he'll probably be back, despite his similarities with the only guy who has died so far. And they made sure to let us know that the damage on Gensai's left arm was at least minimized so he's looking pretty good for going through to the third round. How impressive is his composure, though? He's fighting someone who seems to be faster than him, has a one hit kill, and keeps actually disappearing from his sight only to instantly be in front of him with multiple killing blows. Still takes it methodically.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad I was wrong because Gensai has been my favorite fighter in the tournament since his first round.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Gensai already defeated the favorite to win the whole tournament in the first round, you should all be ashamed of doubting him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I honestly hope that Setsuna is actually dead. It would be a really great twist for the crazy prodigy psychopath rival with the tragic murderboner-for-the-protagonist backstory to just get unceremoniously killed by someone completely unrelated to his murderboner due to one of his many crimes catching up to him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
setsuna seemed way stronger than ohma once he started pulling out niko style moves. i'm not sure how a match when they are both already severely hosed up would go, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, SHION OMAKE CHAPTER. the raddest lady in a manga full of rad ladies finally gets her time to shine!

uh excuse me, you misspelled Tomoko

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shion always has a lit cigarette and never has any fucks to give

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kanos posted:

I honestly hope that Setsuna is actually dead. It would be a really great twist for the crazy prodigy psychopath rival with the tragic murderboner-for-the-protagonist backstory to just get unceremoniously killed by someone completely unrelated to his murderboner due to one of his many crimes catching up to him.

It's a pretty fitting end, given that Ohma has already gotten over their rivalry. I love how Setsuna is convinced this is just another stepping stone on the road to his big showdown even as he's being (possibly) fatally speared in the chest again. Turns out being lucid is kind of important in these matches!

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Gensai has to be my favorite fighter. He doesn't have some crazy gimmick, or some special martial arts only passed down through blood line or other dumbass bullshit. He hits really hard, he reads his opponent while devising a counter strategy and he stays cool.

Amongst a sea of weirdos, he's blandness is a breath of fresh air.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah he's incredibly boring in the best way

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
He comes as no surprise.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mokichi losing so early sucked, because he actually had a really neat fighting style with the bizarre mix of boxing and jujitsu Baritsu thing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I wonder how much Ohma cares about this outcome.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mindblast posted:

I wonder how much Ohma cares about this outcome.

He's already forgotten who Kiryu is.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kiryus master being able to kill Niko seems pretty unlikely

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Joseance posted:

Kiryus master being able to kill Niko seems pretty unlikely
I always got the impression it wasn't the master of Setsuna that killed Niko. While at first it was portrayed that way, I got the impression later on it was hinted at that either Ohma or Kiryu actually killed him. We saw in the flash black that Setsuna knew some previous martial arts and in this chapter we see him using and combining the Niko style. My bet is that Setsuna killed him, somehow causing Ohma to lose some of his memory of Niko and his teachings.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

There is always whoever taught ohma the advance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rihito owns

https://mangadex.org/chapter/468001/1

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Am I the only one who is super interested by Taira Genzan and hopes he comes back for a prequel?

It’s interesting to hear the different perspectives on the guy who (reportedly?) killed Niko.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

FIRST FRIEND MADE

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Tsun Devil Lance.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
TsunDeLa.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I really hope Rihito becomes his student because combining the ripper with the devil lance wouls make him a badass

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

gensai increasing his friend count for his ultimate showdown with the fang later on

he's on even footing right now but if agito makes friends with gaolang then gensai will be in real trouble

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I gotta say I'm not disappointed even with how obvious the overall outcome was of this chapter because it was so well written.

So Hatsumi is gonna crush Bando and then lose to fang because he gets lazy and loses his edge.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Ah yes, the old "Punch my own heart out of the way before you can stab it" technique.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

where the red fern gropes posted:

gensai increasing his friend count for his ultimate showdown with the fang later on

he's on even footing right now but if agito makes friends with gaolang then gensai will be in real trouble

Gensai was also friends with Taira Genzan. Does that count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Rihito becoming Gensai's disciple makes perfect sense given that their killer moves have similar principles, we should've seen it coming a mile away.