Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The_Doctor posted:

They definitely used that photo as the basis for the 90’s cartoon series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8xFFm6lEMo

Dang I'm really digging the animation in that intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I hear you all love the pointy edges of the Sovereign

https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/20/what-we-left-behind-doc-unveils-star-trek-deep-space-nine-season-8-starship/

https://twitter.com/DS9Doc/status/1053597350046941184

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Literally just the Sovereign with a big rear end and 4 engines.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Stop. Hiring. John. Eaves. For. Everything.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Why is a lovely new design showing up in a retrospective documentary.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

If you were to run a Star Trek RPG set in the 24th century, what class ship would you put the PCs in and why?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McSpanky posted:

Apparently part of the documentary is the show's writers coming up with story ideas if they had done a Season 8.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently part of the documentary is the show's writers coming up with story ideas if they had done a Season 8.

A terrible idea btw. I remember someone from this very forum going to a talk and asking a question on my behalf about Brave Little Toaster, to the writers, and the answer completely destroyed my love for the movie. Going to see Peter S Beagle talk about The Last Unicorn came drat close for that one too, so now I stay far far away. I don't want to know what writers think about their own work, they're their own worst champions.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not sure why they think DS9 needed a Season 8. The story was over.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

It might have been nice to re-pace the finale, but that wasn't really a reflection of ending at seven seasons, considering that the first half of Season 7 is mostly faffing around.

The only season 8 worth a drat would have been a return to S1 stakes with a bit of PTSD thrown in, having had a less-breakneck end of S7, "falling action" in douchy lit terms, but there's no fuckin way in hell they were going to do that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I even kind of like the Sovereign but that looks like they just kitbashed a Sovereign saucer/nacelles with the Discovery hull and added 2 nacelles.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm not even an Ezri hater, but considering how much stuff they were throwing at the wall at the end there, it would have been HILARIOUS to have her die in the opening of S8 and you're like wait what?? We have to do this again!? Oh oh and even better, she's the equivalent of one of those whatchamacallems, "returning students", so she's a trill who went back to worm college and she's like 65 ha ha ok there are some good ideas

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Moriatti posted:

If you were to run a Star Trek RPG set in the 24th century, what class ship would you put the PCs in and why?

Intrepid class. Everyone knows (from Voyager) what all the rooms and stuff look like, and they've also already got a sense of the ship's overall size and scale. Plus you might get to do a fun Blue Alert scenario where they land the thing. Also it's not the biggest or most powerful battlewagon in the fleet, so your characters can just be regular Starfleet schmos instead of the cream of the crop that would be crewing a Galaxy or Sovereign, or even a Defiant.

Alternate, comedy answer: a clapped-out old Miranda or Oberth that's always breaking down and should have been scrapped years ago, but is still limping along in active service because so many newer ships got blown up by the Borg and/or Dominion.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

I'm not even an Ezri hater, but considering how much stuff they were throwing at the wall at the end there, it would have been HILARIOUS to have her die in the opening of S8 and you're like wait what?? We have to do this again!? Oh oh and even better, she's the equivalent of one of those whatchamacallems, "returning students", so she's a trill who went back to worm college and she's like 65 ha ha ok there are some good ideas

In the article there’s apparently art showing Ezri as a Captain which if true would just be them cribbing from the post-Voyager novels where she goes on to captain the Defiant, same ship or not.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

In the article there’s apparently art showing Ezri as a Captain which if true would just be them cribbing from the post-Voyager novels where she goes on to captain the Defiant, same ship or not.

Acknowledging the beta canon is not a recipe for quality treats

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Moriatti posted:

Ambassador class, 2330s. Star Trek: The Previous Generation

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

FlamingLiberal posted:

DS9S8: the crew visits Meridian again (it came back early) and Ezri can't stop lambasting Jadzia concerning it. Back on the station, Rom loses the Nagus staff in a game of tongo, leaving Weyoun X to administer the Ferengi Commerce Guild.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Season 8: bashir accidentally crosses a tribble and weyoun. jeffrey combs is everywhere. in the vents. in the replicator. just everywhere.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Season 8: odo returns, and he can do noses now! this is the result of contract negotiations with rene. "gotta have a nose now" said rene. they give odo a hundred noses. now hair & makeup takes four times as long. "odo forgets noses" s8e04.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Season 8: in a bold move to introduce the first canon gay couple in star trek, sisko and dukat get married in hell . possibly a lateral move.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
season 9: the sisko returns from the voluminous aether or wherever the gently caress, except now he's a malaysian lady. neither he nor the wormhole aliens consider this a problem because they're wormhole aliens and sisko's gone native. there's some confusion among the cast but mostly they accept it with the help of Ezri, for whom this kind of thing is normal.

season 10: after a year of negotiations and pay cuts for the rest of the cast, they get Avery Brooks to sign back on. Siddig and Shimerman quit in protest, ratings slide into the toilet, series cancelled after one more short order zombie season to wrap up loose ends.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Watching TNG The Conundrum and Data just lost a game of chess to Troi and she said "it's a game of intuition" and lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Watching TNG The Conundrum and Data just lost a game of chess to Troi and she said "it's a game of intuition" and lol

Geordi is in the next room, feeding all of Data's moves into the computer and finding the best moves for Troi, and she is ~sensing~ the correct move from Geordi.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Data is incapable of playing Go. Pulaski is a 9-dan professional and also a gigantic piece of poo poo about it, saying that no matter how sophisticated the computer it will never beat a skilled organic player like her.

Her mocking laughter echoes through the corridors for the rest of the episode.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Denouement is good. Babylon 5 wrapped its major story arcs at the end of season 4, and 5 showed consequences and allowed for bringing the characters to their conclusions. Originally the main arcs were going to extend into season 5 a bit and they compressed because it got cancelled and then last minute picked up so it's not as well done as it could've been, but it's a good comparison to what DS9 could've done with wrapping things up after the Dominion War. How the Federation starts to rebuild after its most devastating experience, the beginnings of diplomatic relations with the Dominion, the Federation trying to use their wartime Romulan alliance to build a permanent peace with them, that sort of thing all could've been interesting to do.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Babylon 5 did it exceptionally well once it recovered from "Oh, not cancelled??" syndrome. The second half of Season 5 is as good as anything, with the follow-through on the Centauri Republic.

I've been shitposting a lot about Star Trek but B5 is my main man. But there's almost less to talk about because I think most of its content just landed, so it's not as interesting to discuss as "why did Dukat become an anime?"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Conundrum is another episode I can't imagine modern trek making. In Discovery, they would have hemmed and hawed before firing, and then angsted over how pointless it was that they chose to fire on defenseless people

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Geordi is in the next room, feeding all of Data's moves into the computer and finding the best moves for Troi, and she is ~sensing~ the correct move from Geordi.

All she know's is she's sensing "something", and it never resolves into anything more specific than that, so Geordie must be feeding her moves by morse code by stabbing himself with a needle.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Captain, I'm sensing... rook takes queen, check.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

McSpanky posted:

Documentary is getting referral bonuses.

I don't know who is surrounding themselves with hundreds of these ships but I wish they'd stop because I'm tired of the five(!) minute adds on Mission Log for them. I think I'm just getting tired of Mission Log.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Powered Descent posted:

Alternate, comedy answer: a clapped-out old Miranda or Oberth that's always breaking down and should have been scrapped years ago, but is still limping along in active service because so many newer ships got blown up by the Borg and/or Dominion.

I have a burning need for a Trek version of Down Periscope.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

Season 8: odo returns, and he can do noses now! this is the result of contract negotiations with rene. "gotta have a nose now" said rene. they give odo a hundred noses. now hair & makeup takes four times as long. "odo forgets noses" s8e04.

[Growly Odo voice] I call this nose the Kevin Bacon. [Jazz hands] ta-daaa.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They could've just made season 8 the Garak and Quark Show and I would've been on board.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

They could've just made season 8 the Garak and Quark Show and I would've been on board.

Garak's on cardassia, man, he's got poo poo to do

bitch is a patriot, he's not going to be ramblin around ds9 if he can get things back to snuff planetside

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pick posted:

Garak's on cardassia, man, he's got poo poo to do

bitch is a patriot, he's not going to be ramblin around ds9 if he can get things back to snuff planetside

Exactly. Garak Owning People on Cardassia: The Show, with off-world connections from his reliable contact Quark.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Grand Fromage posted:

Exactly. Garak Owning People on Cardassia: The Show, with off-world connections from his reliable contact Quark.

Garak: For Hire

Also starring Avery Brooks as Hawk for some reason

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

robinson really hit that poo poo out of the park. apparently he was super tired of being a villain-typecast actor and tried to make it more interesting. actors can bring a lot to the table, apparently it was true for han solo via harrison ford in star wars as well.

i guess you can see where if you're sufficiently blonde you'd get cast as a nazi but it would sukk

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 21, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zurui posted:

I have a burning need for a Trek version of Down Periscope.

"Your new ship... U.S.S. Republic, NCC-1371."
"That... this can't be my ship, sir!"
"Well it most certainly is! Constitution-class, refitted 2279."
"Constitution-class? Starfleet hasn't used those for over seventy-five years!"
"We do now, she's been recommissioned!"

"Here are some recent long-range scans of Klingon fleet bases at Qo'nos and Beta Thoridar. That's where the Klingons have got their old D7 reserve fleet, in dock there. But each week, there're fewer, because they're selling 'em off like hotcakes to the Tholians, the Orions, and others."
"All due respect, sir, one modern Starfleet heavy cruiser could defeat several old D7s."
"In conventional battle, certainly, that's true. But what if you had one renegade captain, decided to hit us, bam!, suddenly, without cause or warning. Like a terrorist intent on getting a photon warhead into one of our starbases! You think we could catch and kill a bogie like that in time?"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Garak and Friends

Starring Andrew Robinson as
「GARAK」

And special guest star
Jonathan Harris as Dr. Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I also have this mental image of the movie-Enterprise bridge set, but all dusty and the seats are worn down.