Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean these are games that deal with real world politics. It’s gonna come up. It’s not a bad thing either. Even if this one went weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I don't mean to derail the thread, but the truth is iconoclasts did nothing wrong. Furthermore....

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Protestant or the Orthodox ones?

e: or the video game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bad example the iconoclasts did do nothing wrong.

It’s not their fault they lost and the winners decided to be pricks.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Oh no, a maximum 10 year sentence with an average of 5. What an awful inhumane system.

A take hot enough to warm up someone freezing to death in a gulag.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i like maps

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Been reading the roman/ancient history thread in ask/tell and I cant wait until Imperator is out.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Just like the paradox thread to defend Carthaginian baby killers.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Graves > politically roman maps

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Just like the paradox thread to defend Carthaginian baby killers.

why be upset, they were only roman babies

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

as a platonist i find this very offensive

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Agean90 posted:

why be upset, they were only roman babies

They actually weren't murdered, and furthermore they were murdered humanely

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like y’all let the guy making GBS threads on iconalists go to easy.

Leo III was a goddamn saint who did no wrong.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Zombiepop posted:

Been reading the roman/ancient history thread in ask/tell and I cant wait until Imperator is out.

Who's everyone excited to play as besides the big boys in Imperator? I really want to try out a bunch of the Magna Graecia states, I think Massalia would be a really intriguing start.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

creamcorn posted:

Who's everyone excited to play as besides the big boys in Imperator? I really want to try out a bunch of the Magna Graecia states, I think Massalia would be a really intriguing start.

Is Massilia Magna Graecia? DIdn't that refer to the colonies in Southern Italy and Sicily?

Anyway, I really want to play as Epirus and basically strange Rome in its crib before it even gets going. Also put heavy roleplay restrictions on myself for the entire run, only really go on war sprees if I get an appropriate ruler or the society changes in such a way as to justify that, and when I do go to war mostly subjugate and demand tribute rather than do outright conquest (unless I get some ruler who thinks he's Alexander come again), and in Italy mostly just ally and guarantee the Greek city states, with maybe establishing direct control if it should prove necessary or possible. It's going to be a world without Rome, and no replacement Rome either. Carthage might get to live, but I will attempt to protect the Greek states in Italy and Sicily against them. Then I am going to spend weeks of my precious time on Earth to transition the end state of the campaign to CK2 and continue playing that.

Other than that insanity, I want to play as a Gallic tribe and if appropriate attempt to unite the country and become a regional or great power in Northern and Western Europe. Then Scythians/Sarmatians, though I guess we'll have to wait for a later DLC for engaging nomad mechanics.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

creamcorn posted:

I want to play as Capua or some other Italian state that's not Rome, and build a not-Roman Empire which is very close but not quite the same.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Randarkman posted:

Is Massilia Magna Graecia? DIdn't that refer to the colonies in Southern Italy and Sicily?

Massalia is Marseille, which started life as a Greek colony.

Me, I'm going to unify the Celts into a continent-spanning empire and grind the civilised world into dust :black101:

Then, hmm. Somewhere in India, maybe. And the Etruscans? Maybe see what's going on in Illyria. The period's got a lot of potential for leading also-rans to greatness.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Massalia is Marseille, which started life as a Greek colony.

Yeah, in Gaul.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh, I misread you, sorry.

Hmm. Magna Graecia wouldn't be a bad name for the entire Greek world outside of Greece. Except of course it's a Roman term for the bit that bordered them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I agree with him though that Massilia is pretty interesting. Though personally I am more interested in interacting with them and keeping them around playing as a Gaulish nation/tribe.

I'm hoping there are some special interactions you can have with subjugated/tributary democracies and republics. Such as influencing elections by expending gold or promoting a certain faction, kind of like how the Persians meddled in Greek affairs (both their own subjects in Asia Minor and in Greece itself after being defeated in the Greco-Persian Wars), which might also justify making such interactions available to nations that have achieved the Great Power rank.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 21, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ofaloaf posted:

I want to play as Capua or some other Italian state that's not Rome, and build a not-Roman Empire which is very close but not quite the same.

The Reman Empire.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

If Capua doesn't get a leader from house Batiatus i'm gonna be upset.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Graves > politically roman maps

Should be purple.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Randarkman posted:

Anyway, I really want to play as Epirus and basically strange Rome in its crib before it even gets going. Also put heavy roleplay restrictions on myself for the entire run, only really go on war sprees if I get an appropriate ruler or the society changes in such a way as to justify that, and when I do go to war mostly subjugate and demand tribute rather than do outright conquest (unless I get some ruler who thinks he's Alexander come again), and in Italy mostly just ally and guarantee the Greek city states, with maybe establishing direct control if it should prove necessary or possible. It's going to be a world without Rome, and no replacement Rome either. Carthage might get to live, but I will attempt to protect the Greek states in Italy and Sicily against them. Then I am going to spend weeks of my precious time on Earth to transition the end state of the campaign to CK2 and continue playing that.

:thunk:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I want to play as Pontus

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yep. Sadly I don't think you start with Pyrrhus as ruler due to the game's start date.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Don Gato posted:

I want to play as Pontus

The title for the Imperator thread should totally be Imperator Rome: I want to play as loving Pontus

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

creamcorn posted:

:helladid:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lol if you don't want to spread greco-buddhist culture to ireland

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Funky Valentine posted:

The title for the Imperator thread should totally be Imperator Rome: I want to play as loving Pontus
Absolutely. Anyone who doesn't want to go Maximum Mithridates should be poisoned.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh, I misread you, sorry.

Hmm. Magna Graecia wouldn't be a bad name for the entire Greek world outside of Greece. Except of course it's a Roman term for the bit that bordered them.

:hist101: Maybe. The origins of the term Megale Hellas/Magna Graecia are much disputed (fun ideological debates in 30s Italy contributed to this), but the earliest references are in a scholiast's note on Plato's Phaedrus which probably goes back to Timaeus, and in Polybius, and both of these explicitly reference Pythagoras, suggesting it may go way back into the 6th century, but *probably* is a Greek term

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Astroclassicist posted:

:hist101: Maybe. The origins of the term Megale Hellas/Magna Graecia are much disputed (fun ideological debates in 30s Italy contributed to this), but the earliest references are in a scholiast's note on Plato's Phaedrus which probably goes back to Timaeus, and in Polybius, and both of these explicitly reference Pythagoras, suggesting it may go way back into the 6th century, but *probably* is a Greek term

:eng101: Ovid refers to southern Italy as Magna Graecia in the poem Fasti, which was published in 8 CE, so the term's at least that old.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Technowolf posted:

:eng101: Ovid refers to southern Italy as Magna Graecia in the poem Fasti, which was published in 8 CE, so the term's at least that old.
:goonsay: Pythagoras lived in the 6th century BCE.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My first game will be as Rome but my second and third are definitely going to be Parthia and one of the Indian states (maybe not respectively).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'll admit to always feeling a degree of affection for the city of Tarentum in southern Italy, because of always starting as the Brutii in Rome Total War.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
the india part of the map is gonna be interesting but also not really related to rome at all

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

baw posted:

the india part of the map is gonna be interesting but also not really related to rome at all

india exists so that you can play out your alexander fantasies with one of the diadochi states

also trade between roman egypt and india was a huge deal but i doubt that will be simulated, at least at launch

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also calling it a "huge deal" is rather charitable. It happened, but it is flat out unknown to what extent, or how much of an impact it had on the Roman economy.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

We doing this again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jazerus posted:

india exists so that you can play out your alexander fantasies with one of the diadochi states

also trade between roman egypt and india was a huge deal but i doubt that will be simulated, at least at launch

Don't worry, simulation of India will extend as far as the Monarchy government type, which will also be shared with Germania and the Parthians.