Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I really liked the Newspaper segment as well, June binge watching sitcoms on her laptop in a darkened room was very relatable.

It's hard for me to imagine that she spent weeks in a newspaper building, had access to a laptop etc. and didn't write her own chronicle in addition to making that shrine, though. That bugged me a bit although I liked her being in that setting in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just started on season 2 tonight. This show is so brutal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished season 2 last night, and now I need to go to therapy. The ending sucked but the rest of the season was amazing.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

June not getting in the van was the most frustrating end to a really frustrating season of television. It actually pissed me off watching it lol.

I thought it was worse when she decided to hold up the Deus Ex Marthas for 15 loving minutes while she lets her slave mistress get some emotional closure with her imperiled newborn

The whole garage door scene I was absolutely dying, do people really not know how to loving manually open a garage door???

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Mr. Pool posted:

The whole garage door scene I was absolutely dying, do people really not know how to loving manually open a garage door???
Eh, I probably wouldn't. I didn't have one growing up, and I've always lived in cities (usually with just street parking or at best a parking pad) as an adult.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mr. Pool posted:

I thought it was worse when she decided to hold up the Deus Ex Marthas for 15 loving minutes while she lets her slave mistress get some emotional closure with her imperiled newborn

My professor had to Uber to class last week because her remote control for her garage door opener wouldn’t work and she couldn’t get out of her garage.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nwin posted:

My professor had to Uber to class last week because her remote control for her garage door opener wouldn’t work and she couldn’t get out of her garage.

My garage can't be opened manually, so if it stops working then it can't be opened until its motor is repaired.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I said come in! posted:

My garage can't be opened manually, so if it stops working then it can't be opened until its motor is repaired.

There’s not a red handle to manually activate it? That’s weird.

What’s even the reasoning for that?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The garage door scenario was kind of dumb but I think the idea was that it was frozen shut, not that June couldn’t figure it out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
She pulled the handle thing, which is the correct move. It was frozen shut though.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
My wife didn't like me rolling with my eyes during that particular scene.

I didn't even utter a word and still she got mad at me because she knew what I was THINKING.

Free speech? Canceled.
Free thought? Next on the chopping block.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

esperterra posted:

Like Rhys was amazing, don't get me wrong, but I think Russell was the faaaaar better actor for the whole series (which says a lot 'cause Rhys slayed). She played Elizabeth so loving perfectly and I'm salted she didn't win.

Tho I'm glad Claire Foy took it over Elizabeth Moss.

I think the greatest crime against The Americans was every time GoT won best writing over them. ffs one of those wins was a battle episode with barely any dialogue, the director would have done most of the heavy lifting there!

To be fair to GoT (and I really hate doing that, the show doesn't deserve it, at least not anymore) there's a lot of ink on the page that isn't dialogue. Scene settings and rough battle sequences are generally laid down in the script. Yes, choreography and direction did a lot of heavy lifting, but especially if this is Battle of the Bastards we're talking about...I strongly agree that The Americans is a much better show, but my biggest issue with BotB was that Rickon ran in a straight line. That's not bad at all.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, for sure. But compared to the episode of The Americans which was up that year, Bastards still shouldn't have gotten it imo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Propaganda Machine posted:

my biggest issue with BotB was that Rickon ran in a straight line. That's not bad at all.

The corpse pile was pretty ridiculous

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Wafflecopper posted:

The corpse pile was pretty ridiculous

But it isn't. Those things have happened throughout history. I actually thought it was a nice touch.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

But it isn't. Those things have happened throughout history. I actually thought it was a nice touch.

To the point that the pile is taller than the combatants? How is it getting that high, are people climbing on top of it to fight rather than fighting on stable ground? I'd be interested to see a historical example.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

To the point that the pile is taller than the combatants? How is it getting that high, are people climbing on top of it to fight rather than fighting on stable ground? I'd be interested to see a historical example.

You should watch that documentary about the battle of Klendathu.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

it's a show about tits and dragons so the corpse pile didn't bug me.

jon digging his way out from under a corpse pile was a bit silly but the visuals of him being momentarily trapped were doooope

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

it was not historical at all and dumb as hell. the deus ex machina with the knights of the vale was somewhat worse however. it was literally the episode when the series fully jumped the shark.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

it's a show about tits and dragons

Needs more of both in the final season imo

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
BotB?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Battle of the Bastards

And the battle is supposedly based both on Agincourt and particularly Cannae. If the latter had a death toll even half as large as Livy claimed, that's still 20,000 people. If you read up on the battle, Carthage's pincer attack on Rome was basically an even bigger version of what we saw on the show.

And all of it is still more believable than the final scene of season 2, here :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I love getting my Game of Thrones spoilers in this, The Handmaid's Tale thread.

• Locked thread