Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ensign: Captain O'Brien, your orders?

O'Brien: Commence scanning.

Ensign: Initiated. Scan time estimated at sixty-three weeks.

O'Brien: [sighs] confirmed.

Ensign: Federation scientists are really going to dig into these data, sir! In a little over a year, that is. Congratulations!

O'Brien: I'm changing the open drinking policy on the bridge as of now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Babylon 5 did it exceptionally well once it recovered from "Oh, not cancelled??" syndrome. The second half of Season 5 is as good as anything, with the follow-through on the Centauri Republic.

I've been shitposting a lot about Star Trek but B5 is my main man. But there's almost less to talk about because I think most of its content just landed, so it's not as interesting to discuss as "why did Dukat become an anime?"

Late series Lennier sucks a lot though

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tighclops posted:

Late series Lennier sucks a lot though

What? Why? He loves Delenn and he's so nice and helpful and

Oh

Oh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What? Why? He loves Delenn and he's so nice and helpful and

Oh

Oh.

Yeah but also, guys do do that. The Marcus content is more annoying imo.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Pick posted:

I remember someone from this very forum going to a talk and asking a question on my behalf about Brave Little Toaster, to the writers, and the answer completely destroyed my love for the movie.
You can't just leave us hanging like that. What was the question, and what did they say?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inferior Third Season posted:

You can't just leave us hanging like that. What was the question, and what did they say?

I don't remember and I'm trying not to, because I want my brain to forget so I can go back to it in like 10 years.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pick posted:

Yeah, I've always found the Marcus thing a little sketch.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ds9 folk at DST today:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm sure the answer is "yes, in way too much detail", but is wider Klingon society ever elaborated on? Because it can't all be shouty autistic dudes with anger issues. Someone has to take out the trash, figure out the science behind giant FTL starships, and operate transporters. None of that is particularly compatible with being a space-samurai on a self-destructive quest of personal glory. A society based mostly on yelling, recreational fistfights and fights to the death with silly knives wouldn't have formed agrarian societies, let alone left their homeworld.

Maybe all the Klingons we see are some kind of warrior-caste upper class? Worf seems to be generally ok, but even he seems to be shaking with barely restrained fury and confusion most of the time.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 21, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't really care about Klingons but yeah they have engineers and according to STO they collaborate with the Gorn for that also.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Worf is canonically Klingon nobility. His house was a Great House. It's probably a lot like the old British Empire, with the duels and stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They do it in the books I think, somebody posted that like a Klingon farmer sees his life as a battle against the soil and weather and scientists are battling ignorance or whatever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

They do it in the books I think, somebody posted that like a Klingon farmer sees his life as a battle against the soil and weather and scientists are battling ignorance or whatever.

me in a glorious battle against not enough shitposting

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

I'm sure the answer is "yes, in way too much detail", but is wider Klingon society ever elaborated on? Because it can't all be shouty autistic dudes with anger issues. Someone has to take out the trash, figure out the science behind giant FTL starships, and operate transporters. None of that is particularly compatible with being a space-samurai on a self-destructive quest of personal glory. A society based mostly on yelling, recreational fistfights and fights to the death with silly knives wouldn't have formed agrarian societies, let alone left their homeworld.

Maybe all the Klingons we see are some kind of warrior-caste upper class? Worf seems to be generally ok, but even he seems to be shaking with barely restrained fury and confusion most of the time.
There's a novel that goes into Klingon engineers and poo poo, it's barely worth the time to read but basically they're still shouty nerds all the way down

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Not too much. There was the Enterprise episode where the Klingons put Archer on trial, and his lawyer complains to Archer about how the military class has, in his lifetime, taken over everything, and turned the legal system into kangaroo courts.

In DS-9, theres the crew of the Rotarran, who start off as a bunch of misfits. There's also General Martok who tells his story about why he hates Kor....Martok was a peasant's son whose father dreamed he'd be an officer, but, even though Martok studied and was qualified to enter the military academy, Kor blackballed him, because Kor thought he was of too low birth to be an officer, and with Kor blackballing him, he couldn't even enlist, so he had to work on a civilian freighter, until he saved the ship in a spectacular way, and his heroism got him a spot in the military. Of course, by that point, his father had died, and Martok never forgave Kor for not letting him make his father proud.

Other than those hints about non-noble, non-military Klingons, we don't see much about them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Geisladisk posted:

Someone has to take out the trash, figure out the science behind giant FTL starships, and operate transporters.

Someone hasn’t heard of Maltz.

For shame!

matlh! jol yIchu!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Geisladisk posted:

A society based mostly on yelling, recreational fistfights and fights to the death with silly knives wouldn't have formed agrarian societies

Yet Prussia somehow figured it out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

Yet Prussia somehow figured it out.

they had sleepy food

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

aaaa gently caress I forgot about marcus and how much he sucks

gently caress now I remember

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

aaaa gently caress I forgot about marcus and how much he sucks

gently caress now I remember

i apologize for this

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Alternate, comedy answer: a clapped-out old Miranda or Oberth that's always breaking down and should have been scrapped years ago, but is still limping along in active service because so many newer ships got blown up by the Borg and/or Dominion.

:perfect:

Pick posted:

I don't really care about Klingons but yeah they have engineers and according to STO they collaborate with the Gorn for that also.

More than that, Gorn are the "science" race for the Klingon Empire in STO, a la the Vulcans with the UFP.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love the Gorn and I want them to be my friends, Gornily. Like they're probably chill & smart and normal. Polite at house parties.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I thought the Gorn weren't a race and that one thing Kirk fought was called "the gorn" not "a gorn"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

I thought the Gorn weren't a race and that one thing Kirk fought was called "the gorn" not "a gorn"

They're a race and they have their own government and territory, the Gorn Hedgemony. They show up a lot less than you'd expect for anything even remotely touched upon in TOS, maybe because their skirts are too short.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

LividLiquid posted:

The reason Kirk was fighting the Gorn captain was because its ship had wiped out the Earth colony that had been established in Gorn space. So, the Metrons took an interest, and seeing the Enterprise and Gorn ship ready to fight, grabbed Kirk and the Gorn captain and made them fight one on one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Epicurius posted:

The reason Kirk was fighting the Gorn captain was because its ship had wiped out the Earth colony that had been established in Gorn space. So, the Metrons took an interest, and seeing the Enterprise and Gorn ship ready to fight, grabbed Kirk and the Gorn captain and made them fight one on one.

Yeah there's no reason to assume the Gorn are even naturally warlike. That's half the point of the episode even. Of course I'm sure beta canon did other stupid poo poo that deflated that, idk.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zurui posted:

I have a burning need for a Trek version of Down Periscope.

We got a taste of this in "Peak Performance" but yeah, that would be really fun.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I feel like DS9 would have been the one to do a proper Down Periscope sendup. Like Soldiers of the Empire but funnier.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
O'Brien gets a tattoo on his wiener.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pick posted:

O'Brien gets a tattoo on his wiener of a bigger weiner.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

*Morbo voice* tattoos do not work that way!!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pick posted:

Pick, are you forgetting about cock-ran fields? :techno:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

It's not a toy! It's a scale model

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Jean-luc... you smashed your little dick.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Somehow this manages to cross The Orville, Discovery, and TNG.

Patrick Stewart voiced a tardigrade on "Family Guy" tonight.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Moriatti posted:

If you were to run a Star Trek RPG set in the 24th century, what class ship would you put the PCs in and why?

A refit Galaxy Class because it's the best-looking ship of the era and is basically a traveling space station.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Pick posted:

Yeah there's no reason to assume the Gorn are even naturally warlike. That's half the point of the episode even. Of course I'm sure beta canon did other stupid poo poo that deflated that, idk.

Well, I mean, their first reaction to "alien colony in our space" is "destroy it", which doesn't suggest they're sweetness and light. They're better than the aliens in the short story the episode is based on, though.

That being said, the Gorn don't get a lot of attention in beta canon. Like people who know more about Star Trek Online said, Star Trek Online has them conquered by the Klingons and becoming a tributary/puppet. The place they get the most attention is probably Star Fleet Battles/Starfleet Universe, where they have playable ships. In case anybody doesn't know, Star Fleet Battles was a board game from 1979, where players commanded ships belonging to various Star Trek races in tactical battles. They expanded the whole thing, and eventually an RPG came out of it, called Prime Directive, and generally developed like the Klingons and Romulans in ways different than the main Star Trek canon did.

Anyway, yeah, Gorn tend to get short shrift in the betaverse, just showing up in a few comics.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

That Captain Ezri on the DS9 doc “Season 8” implies that they’re not doing “what if another season of DS9 was made in the 90s”, but rather “what if another season of DS9 was made right now”. Which means they’re basically pitching a revival. That seems like one 1) probably a bad idea, as much as I love DS9, and 2) absolutely never going to happen anyway, seriously, come on.

Also, season 5 of Babylon 5 is loving dire, even by B5 standards. That episode where all the dead people come back and the one that’s a rip off of Lower Decks are two of the most offensively bad episodes of TV I’ve ever watched.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Season 5 of B5 is two distinct parts. The first half is what was put together at the last minute when they got uncancelled and it shows. The second half is what was intended and excellent.

Though if those two episodes are among the worst TV you've ever seen boy do I have some things to show you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I like Day of the Dead. It had a lot of good character moments, and didn't make the mistake of trying to over-explain everything.

But, yeah, View from the Gallery was trash. It was a fun concept ruined by the weird hero-worship moments. It's one of B5's weird things, how on the one hand you have great flawed characters like Londo and G'Kar and Bester, but then with Delenn and Sheridan the show goes out of its way to paint them as perfect saints and keeps setting up straw-men to attack them just to demonstrate how fantastic they're meant to be.