Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Justice Grieves posted:

Then ... they're an abomination that needs to be put down?

Actually, that might just be my Traveller background talking. Where does Lancer stand on the whole transhumanism/augmentation thing?

It's Complicated™

This is mostly stuff which has been touched upon by the authors of the game in the Discord, though the game mentions some of it as well, but basically Lancer is a setting where Altered Carbon-style consciousness uploading/transference doesn't exist. You can't make a copy of someone's self and stick it in a new body. Now there are two semi-exceptions to this. One is called a homunculus which is basically a comp/con designed to emulate a specific personality to the best of its abilities. Think a very sophisticated animatronic. Like all comp/cons, it's limited in its ability to respond to novel stimuli and you can pretty easily suss out that it's an artificial personality.

The other exception is that while you can't really copy someone's consciousness you can kiiiiiiinda come close. Cloning technology isn't uncommon in Lancer, ranging from clonal replacement organs and limbs to flash-cloned vat-soldiers to bespoke clone bodies. Consequently, it's possible for someone who's died to "come back" if they were cloned, and this is an option in the game for players whose character dies. Again though, there's no consciousness transference. So how does it work? Basically they fake it. The clone gets brought up to speed on its "ancestor's" personality and memories via recordings, resocialization, whatever data can be obtained and used to model the deceased's self and bring the clone up to speed. Technically they aren't the same person, and a number of quirks can and do develop as a result. In terms of gameplay you get one clone and that's it, because beyond that personality drift and psychological trauma starts to accumulate to an untenable degree.

So the answer to the question of "could these be real people trapped inside a bunch of robot bodies" assuming absolutely no paracausal bullshit is involved would be a definitive no, that tech doesn't exist that anyone's aware of (space is full of mysteries even beyond paracausality) and Union would be keenly interested in any such breakthroughs because private research into the field of consciousness transfer is outlawed. Since paracausal bullshit is involved, however, it's anybody's guess what's going on.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

These robutts are acting human, pretending to be people. What if there's a human mind trapped in there?

Justice Grieves posted:

Then ... they're an abomination that needs to be put down?

Purge the Heresy! The Inquisitor demands it!! For the Emperor!!!

Kai Tave posted:

Again though, there's no consciousness transference.

This seems rather pointless and a waste of time and resources.

If one's consciousness can't be transferred, then you die and that's all there is too it.

Bringing back a look-alike clone would be for the benefit of those around you? Such as your wife, family, Board of Directors?

Imagine a husband and wife, who both died, can were 'cloned'; you then have essentially two meat puppets who 'pretend' to have a relationship?

Sounds horrific.

Purge the Heretics.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

CourValant posted:

If one's consciousness can't be transferred, then you die and that's all there is too it.

Bringing back a look-alike clone would be for the benefit of those around you? Such as your wife, family, Board of Directors?

Imagine a husband and wife, who both died, can were 'cloned'; you then have essentially two meat puppets who 'pretend' to have a relationship?

Sounds horrific.

Purge the Heretics.

Even ~8000 years in the future, some folks will cling to an form of immortality they can find

Also, I wish to demonstrate to the thread what a memetic attack looks like (courtesy of Dogkisser):

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Looks like Borderlands.
:perfect:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

Also, I wish to demonstrate to the thread what a memetic attack looks like (courtesy of Dogkisser):

/roll Sanity

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CourValant posted:

Purge the Heresy! The Inquisitor demands it!! For the Emperor!!!

Sounds horrific.

Purge the Heretics.

I guess the question here is whether they've made new consciousness that's trapped in the subalterns.

Or maybe not even trapped, that's just who they are.

Is there any reason to make unthinking machines that are coarsely indistinguishable from people other than to depress the value of human life?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

PoultryGeist posted:

Even ~8000 years in the future, some folks will cling to an form of immortality they can find

the Prodigy reference on the shoulder, just :discourse:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
So currently the voting stands at:

A: Call in an Orbital Strike 5
B: Crash the Party 4
C: Tactical Espionage Action 5

If we can get the tie broken, update will go up tomorrow

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dont be mean to me posted:

Is there any reason to make unthinking machines that are coarsely indistinguishable from people other than to depress the value of human life?

Space madness.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
C

This will take all of our cunning.

https://i.imgur.com/QFAWUxc.gifv

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

PoultryGeist posted:

I will never understand why someone thought it was a good idea to resurrect Syncro-Vox.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Justice Grieves posted:

I will never understand why someone thought it was a good idea to resurrect Syncro-Vox.

Kai Tave posted:

Space madness.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Skellybones posted:

C

This will take all of our cunning.

https://i.imgur.com/QFAWUxc.gifv

Is that? *squints* Yes, its in French :ocelot::v:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Too many questions left to do anything permanent-like to the bunker. And luckily the designs for these things hasn’t changed in centuries, so its the work of just a few minutes to locate a service hatch on the back end of the complex. Far away from the hangar, and with only one or two shells in the area according to //SUBALT_CHARGE. 1st Recon set up outside the hangar lock with Baby, ready to hit the shell group hard if need be. A handful make the trek to the hatch with you, to guard your exit and help if you need to shake pursuers.

The hatch is a standard Type 4, set into the roof of the bunker. The rungs that should be set into the interior are gone, but the micro-gravity makes your short decent easy. You’ve just made sure the airlock cycle won’t trigger any alarms when the shadows on the wall change. Swinging your disruptor around to bear, Sgt. Okafor intercepts the barrel and swings it up before you can shoot her.

”Merde! Are you trying to get yourself shot fille? You’re supposed to be topside watching my exit.” She merely cocks her head inquisitively, studying your unfamiliar weapon.

”Personal energy weapon? With a stun setting, no less. Inefficient, but I suppose it has a few additional fringe uses.” She releases the gun’s barrel and squares up to you. ”While I do not doubt your piloting skill, I thought it best to accompany you inside. You are very… petite, and High Command would not be understanding if we let our Pilot get killed by weird subalts.”

”Petit?! I’m average height you... giantess!” Sgt. Okafor ignores the loud stream of Ciorench directed at her, simply reaching around you and hitting the airlock’s activation stud. The lock cycles, and she shrugs her broad shoulder.

”Well, cycling the airlock again would be an unnecessary risk Pilot River. Looks like you’re stuck with me for the time being.”

You give in to your fate with a sigh, and flick the map and systems data to her HUD. “You are a profoundly annoying woman, Sergeant.”

“Well, yes. I am an Okafor, after all.”

+++++

(Infiltrate roll (River): 17, Success)
(Infiltrate roll (Sgt. Okafor): 11, Success)

You have to admit, she’s not bad at this. She’s definitely been infiltration-trained via the military, constantly checking corners and firing lines, in contrast to your self-taught scurry from shadow to shadow. You make it out of the service corridors, hitting on of the better-lit hallways close to the reactor. This area has been stripped down too, a few heavy power cables running down the side of the plascrete footer. But what draws your attention is the… paper? poster stuck to the wall opposite your access point. Actually, more than just there, they appear on the wall at regular intervals for as far as you can see:

Sgt. Okafor’s voice startles you slightly. ”Huh, that is an uncanny likeness for such a primitive medium.”

“I don’t know, my beard isn’t tha-”

“Yes it is Pilot.”
she interrupts. ”But that wasn’t that I was referring to.” She deactivates her helmet’s flare filter, and you see her face for the first time:

”Ah. Captain Okafor wouldn’t happen to be your aunt, would she?”

“Its… complicated to explain to an outsider, but she is my Auntie in a manner of speaking. Why? I assure you that Okafor-clade has strict rules against nepotism, and I earn-”
You hold up your hands placatingly, cutting off her justifications.

”No, no, mon ami. Its simply something that L'Étranger spoke of. Something for SigInt to figure out I guess.”

She shrugs, seeming to accept your explanation. As you’ve now reached the main bunker, you have some decisions to make. Pulling up the datafeed, you loop in the sergeant.

”So, since you decided to tag along we have an opportunity. I was going to access the main power loop and shut down the reactor, and wait for //SUBALT_CHARGE-slash-shell maintenance to power down. But with two of us, we could try and get through the… 3 shells in the maintenance chamber and shut it down directly. That way we wouldn’t lose anything in the systems’ short-term memory that we would with a full power-down. What do you think sergeant?”

The two of you take a few moments to hash out a plan of action.

A: Shut Down the Reactor
There are no subalterns in the reactor room, and a full power-down would trigger the shutdown safeties for the shells in the bunker. It will wipe anything in the volatile memory of the bunker’s systems
B:Sneak Into the Maintence Chamber
Try to sneak past the 3 subalterns in the room so you can shut down the shells directly. Will preserve volatile memory, but the subalts may explode and it may take a while.
C: Assault the Maintenance Chamber
Go in guns blazing, and then hold the room long enough to disable //SUBALT_CHARGE. Will preserve volatile memory, but the subalts may explode and it may take a while.

Note:
River has +1 Infiltrate/+0 GRIT(Attack), a 2-damage weapon, 5 HP, and 1 Armor.
Sgt. Okafor has +1 Infiltrate/+1 GRIT, a 3-damage weapon, 5HP, and 2 Armor.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
C

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
B stealth has worked out so far, let's try to avoid damaging anything

e: wrong vote, meant b

Azhais fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 14, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Let's fight three subalterns instead of a whole bunch and go with B.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Kai Tave posted:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Kai Tave posted:

Sounds good to me!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Azhais it sounds like you may have intended to vote B. B is sneak C is Go Loud.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

malbogio posted:

B

Azhais it sounds like you may have intended to vote B. B is sneak C is Go Loud.

Indeed, I fixed it

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

"Bawss get down! That's an enemy subaltern!'

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

The Box compels me.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Sounds good.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Justice Grieves posted:

The Box compels me.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Justice Grieves posted:

The Box compels me.

Vote: B:Sneak Into the Maintence Chamber.

You had me at Box.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B :ninja:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

You thought it was a glorious idea. A few minutes with your minipinter, and you and Sgt. Okafor had the perfect disguises. The remaining systems used the standard GMS location codes, so it was a moment’s work to route an autojack to the subaltern maintenance facility. Unfortunately the good sergeant had a lower opinion of the plan, and had been burning up the local textspace with complaints.

Textspace posted:

HO(Sgt)\this is uncomfortable and undignified
MB(P)\I’m fine over here mon ami
HO(Sgt)\you printed my box too small didnt you
MB(P)\I don’t know, perhaps if you were a bit more petite you wouldn’t have this problem.
MB(P)\Now hush, we’re almost there.

Okafor’s response is cut off by the autojack’s sudden stop, and it not-so-gently lowers your pallet to the floor. You here confused voices, speaking a dialect similar to the Liyongese.

“Brother-Kim, are we expecting a delivery?” A eerily similar voice with a slight modulation change answer. “No Brother-Tim, at least not according to my schedule. Sister-Pim?”

The third voice is a bit farther away, and slightly above you. “I do not know of a delivery Brother-Tim. Perhaps PATER is rewarding His loyal children?”

Two of the signals are approaching, and you mark them for Okafor. Gripping your disruption rifle, you aim in the direction of the third shell and ping a countdown.

You and Sgt Okafor hit the triggers on the compression springs simultaneously, and the sides of your plastiboard boxes blow out. Okafor is already firing her rail-rifle, and you quickly follow up with a pair of disruptor shots.

(Sgt. Okafor GRIT Roll: 13 [Success], 6 [Failure])
(River GRIT Roll: 11 [Success], 17 [Success])

The subaltern on the catwalk above you crumples as the energy blasts disable its circuits. Okafor drops one with her first shot, but her second catches the third subaltern in a non-vital area. It screams in anger(?) and charges her, landing a few blows before she’s able to put it down. She waves off your offer of help, pointing to the control console.

“I’m fine Pilot, the armor took most of that. Get on that console while I hold the door. Hurry please, I’d rather not have to kill them all myself.”

You bite back a retort and jog over to the master console. Its a GMS model so you’re familiar with its basics, but you can tell there’s been several aftermarket mods. Mostly disabling the NPH anti-cascade safeties. BOUDICA is right, all of the subalterns here are in some form of cascade. But with some luck and elbow grease, you should still be able to disable the power feed and the shells.

(Tech Roll: 2. Failure)

Ok, maybe alot of luck. Looks like some of the safeties have been removed, not just disabled. Its going to take longer to patch in new code, and from the sounds of things Sgt. Okafor’s been discovered. “Hold out a bit longer mon ami! They’ve really made a mess of the coding!” A string of untranslatable Liyongese curses is her only reply. You shut out the rail-fire and screaming of the subalterns, and concentrate on the console.

Your fingers fly over the keyboard, brow-sweat overwhelming your suit filters. But at last, the last code-block slips into place and the safeties engage. With one last button-press you trigger the shutdown override and watch on the screen as the shells power down. “It’s done mon sergent! We’re in… the… clear?”

As you lose focus on the console you notice your surroundings, the battle damage around the doorway. The body of Sgt. Okafor sprawled out in front of a pile of destroyed shells, helmet cracked and hardsuit mangled.

...The faint lifesigns transmitting from her suit to your tactical display.

You yank the Patch out of its holder-pocket on your hardsuit and jam it into the biggest rent in her suit, triggering the medical nanites. Then you:
A: Call for a Medic
Get a corpsman team in here fast, while you continue with data retrieval
B: Get Her to Doc
You know the clear ways, you can get her to the 1st’s corpsman quicker than they can get in.
C: Full Emergency Medivac Her
Baby’s EVA pack can’t make orbit, but you could get to a transport a hell of a lot faster.

Note: The Patch from our pilot loadout will keep Sgt. Okafor from dying, but she requires medical attention before she’s out of the woods.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
C With the shells shutdown we, or someone else for that matter, should have plenty of time to get back to the data. Let's make sure Okafor makes it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

C With the shells shutdown we, or someone else for that matter, should have plenty of time to get back to the data. Let's make sure Okafor makes it.

Yeah, C on this one. 1st Recon can handle things from here (probably).

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

C seems prudent

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

B. The nano had stopped just from actively blowing to death, and C has too many ways to introduce a new cause of death.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Corpsman!!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A

Mission is Priority.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
C

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The Lone Badger posted:

B. The nano had stopped just from actively blowing to death, and C has too many ways to introduce a new cause of death.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Okafor is undoubtedly important, as the wanted posters show, and we need to do everything we can to save her rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MaliciousOnion posted:

Okafor is undoubtedly important, as the wanted posters show, and we need to do everything we can to save her rear end.

Also who else are we going to banter with?