Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Enclave: Why restart the government in one place when you can create multiple competing governments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My experts say that this means "dressing options". You can make your PC look like the character in the image.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Azhais posted:

The Enclave: Why restart the government in one place when you can create multiple competing governments

It's survival of the fittest (government).

Or alternatively, the pre-War government was so corrupt that each head of an Enclave cell secretly planned to betray the others and take charge once the world collapsed - they didn't think any of the other cells were smart enough to plan to do the same to them.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Tei posted:

My experts say that this means "dressing options". You can make your PC look like the character in the image.

That would be incredibly lame.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's survival of the fittest (government).

Or alternatively, the pre-War government was so corrupt that each head of an Enclave cell secretly planned to betray the others and take charge once the world collapsed - they didn't think any of the other cells were smart enough to plan to do the same to them.

Honestly this would rule and be very Fallout.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

That would be incredibly lame.

So it's the most credible idea so far!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Enclave are canonically idiots being that as of FO3 they are run by cyber-Malcolm McDowell.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yessss, now my Frank Horrigan soundboard won't be gathering dust

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
After emerging into the wasteland, a group of handsome amnesiacs with great hair stumble upon a music store with an Elvis display. Their mission - that every man be a king in his own right...

I was going to do another one about Tunnel Snakes but I got bored

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A group of do gooder mercenaries finds a cache of green prewar combat armor and sets out to defend wasters and their name is Rodney's Rogues

A group of mysterious mercenaries find a cache of black prewar combat armor and take all of their orders from unknown contractors to eliminate persons of interest in the wastes, and they shall be called the Claw Company

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

When do we learn about the super secret NCR faction in West Virginia?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

When some faction finds a stockpile of salt Lake city riot armor

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Out in Appalachia a group of settlers discovered a hospital untouched by the bombs. These men and women of science have made it their goal to re-educate the people of the wasteland. They are known as the Disciples of Armageddon.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nah, NCR isn’t Fallout. Fallout is nuka cola and bobble heads and brotherhood of steel. You must be thinking of some other game.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

A group of the toughest, most badass teenagers ever find a cache of pre-war leather jackets. They form a ruthless gang - the cave lizards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A historically minded group of wanderers discover a cache of antique 19th century army uniforms. They become feared and respected throughout Appalachia as the Fenians.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
they should have revealed the Brotherhood of Steal as a new type of raider

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

they should have revealed the Brotherhood of Steal as a new type of raider

Brotherhood of Do Not Steal.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Seems like Fallout 76 is just running through a checklist of factions, Supermutants, BoS, and now the Enclave. Just gotta get some super early generation Synths now. Was going to add Deathclaws but apparently they are already there, because Appalachia just happens to have every last faction and creature running around in its borders a mere 25 years out from the Great War.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Needs golden geckos IMO. There are some things I recognize that aren't in the game and that feels horrible. I'm not comfortable unless every game is just recycled content.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

UED Special Ops posted:

Seems like Fallout 76 is just running through a checklist of factions, Supermutants, BoS, and now the Enclave. Just gotta get some super early generation Synths now. Was going to add Deathclaws but apparently they are already there, because Appalachia just happens to have every last faction and creature running around in its borders a mere 25 years out from the Great War.

I hope Liberty Prime shows up. Kids like Liberty Prime right? :911:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and don't forget Vertibirds that look exactly like the ones in Fallout 4. Can't forget those.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
A band of college dropouts happens upon a plumber's van containing a load of PVC pipes, which they craft into armor and robots. Audio diaries across the wasteland speak in hushed tones of this feared group, known as the Agency.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be fair, Deathclaws and giant molerats do predate the Great War.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So did two headed deer. Thank the Koch brothers for that.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
A bunch of upstate teenagers blah blah blah children of the Atom

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What sort of new weapons does the game have? I saw the flintlock pistol and the MG-34 looking machine gun.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Can't wait to find more of Myron's Jet in Fallout 76

Arcsquad12 posted:

What sort of new weapons does the game have? I saw the flintlock pistol and the MG-34 looking machine gun.

It's actually an MG42

There also seems to be a hipfired Browning .50 cal and a pump shotgun

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
locked safes untouched since the bombs fell full of bottlecaps, jet, and pipe weapons

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

locked safes untouched since the bombs fell full of bottlecaps, jet, and pipe weapons

Horizon Zero Dawn has supply chests full of ridgewood in areas no human has been before.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tei posted:

So

I dont understand.

Is this game withouth NPC's ... or.. it have npcs?

the appalachian hillbillies were 4channers

you are the npc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr Hootington posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn has supply chests full of ridgewood in areas no human has been before.

why the comparison?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

See, pre-war Jet I can actually get behind because it would mean that Myron is even more of a lying, pathetic, worm than he already is. I'm pretty sure this theory has been posted about here before, but it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for Jet to have been a new drug created very recently and then after the bombs dropped the formula was lost. Much later, Myron either found the formula for Jet somewhere or reversed engineered it and then pretended to have invented it because that's just the kind of rear end in a top hat he is.

I'm the kind of nerd who like lore, and I think stories are often a lot stronger when the people writing them can remember what they've already written and build off of it, but any lore break that humiliates and degrades Myron is a good one because gently caress that guy he's the worst.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

See, pre-war Jet I can actually get behind because it would mean that Myron is even more of a lying, pathetic, worm than he already is. I'm pretty sure this theory has been posted about here before, but it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for Jet to have been a new drug created very recently and then after the bombs dropped the formula was lost. Much later, Myron either found the formula for Jet somewhere or reversed engineered it and then pretended to have invented it because that's just the kind of rear end in a top hat he is.

I'm the kind of nerd who like lore, and I think stories are often a lot stronger when the people writing them can remember what they've already written and build off of it, but any lore break that humiliates and degrades Myron is a good one because gently caress that guy he's the worst.

I think pipe weapons existed in pre-war America as well. I want to say they are mentioned in a pre-war magazine.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I think pipe weapons existed in pre-war America as well. I want to say they are mentioned in a pre-war magazine.

Of course pipe weapons existed in pre-war America. https://homemadeguns.wordpress.com/2017/02/22/12-gauge-shotgun-made-from-pipe-fittings-brazil/

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Clawtopsy posted:

the pip boy is inscrutable in his ways

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeeeeeah but 'I randomly walked up and killed a guy then ran away' is on the same level as 'look at the stories that come out of building a settlement and doing radiant quests' unless the game really reacts to it. Like, killing Maxson in F4 because you abused the physics engine to slowly push him off the walkway to plummet to his death isn't real storytelling, that's just the engine being bad. Getting a quest to sneak aboard the Prydwen under a fake identity and kill Maxson because he's trying to kill off the Railroad is an actual consequence of plot decisions you made and is cool (and one of the few good examples of strong reactivity in F4).

I guess I'm saying it's weird to balance the demands of having real quests and such with 'go anywhere, do anything, hoard cheese in your house' that Bethesda does, but you go too far in either direction and it falls flat. If someone else was doing it better (outside of exactly one example, New Vegas) I'd probably cut them less slack but it's a tough issue from a design perspective.

I first somewhat agreed with you, but after thinking about it I think you are wrong.

First, its always bad game design when you suddenly are not allowed to do a thing which normally works, just because devs don't wanna deal with it. Conversely, even if you killing dudes is more or less nonconsequential, it is good design.

Second, however, your assessment about the previous games is just wrong. In ALMOST all cases the game reacts to you killing someone, including, for example, the entire "main" town in FO3, or your own son in FO4. The latter for example is a minor point, but you can either kill him outright if you believe he is an imposter, or explore the institute and then kill him if you think he is doing unspeakable things. Sure, it just leads to a new enemy faction, but there is reactivity.
More importantly, it is a valid reaction from your character perspective, and that is what counts.
Or like in Far Harbor, where you can basically just kill the Synth faction leader outright, cause gently caress all that bullshit. That's an entirely valid way to react for certain characters. At some points in Fallout quests, it really just makes sense to start shooting. And in the overwhelming amount of cases, you actually can. Like, how often in Fallout does someone send you on some stupid fetch quest, and if you are playing evil, then you just shoot and loot.
It depends on your character and playthrough if that occurs. But NOTHING is worse if you decide to shoot someone to resolve a quest, and then you can't. Bad design.

Third, the reason they are not allowing reactivity is not because its complicated. They did it decently in all other games. Seriously, that's one of the things Fallout actually did relatively well. No, it's because its an online game and nothing can change in the game world. If you kill the vendors, it affects everyone. Hence, you can't kill them. If you had NPCs, then one would ask why you can't just shoot the guy instead of collectin fifty stimpack ingredients from a nearby valley.
This is probably the overall reason why there are no NPCs at all. It'll just not be believable at all.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The recipe is so simple that anybody could just take a lighter to cow poo poo and get the same result. It may not have been called Jet pre-war, but it's easy to assume it was prevalent due to only having two ingredients: cow poo poo and an albuterol inhaler.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Fun trivia: F2's Myron and New Vegas' Boone were played by the same voice actor, Jason Marsden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm getting excited knowing we will see what should be a finished build tomorrow.