Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Haystack posted:

Turkey I'm not too worried about, but Qatar I'm less certain about. I really don't know a ton about Qatar besides their Al-Jazeera cred. I wouldn't have expected the US to lick Saudi boots either, but hey, here were are.

Qatar has enough money to throw at think tanks and stuff, but they're really not a heavyweight that can be a lynchpin of our foreign policy like Saudi Arabia. Their population makes Israel's look large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

I see their assassination tactics are cribbed directly from The Simpsons

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Haystack posted:

So, as I understand it, the act of killing of Khashoggi isn't really all that new of a move for the Saudis. The usual play would have been to abduct him and fly him back to Saudi to disappear him. That was possibly even the plan, with his death at the consulate being a gently caress up that they tried to cover-up. Regardless, still very within the Saudi's normal MO.

What's really new and shocking is that Turkey called the Saudis out on it, and is now keeping everyone riled up about it. From what I can gather, this seems to be a new front in the cold war that Qatar got into with Saudi, with Turkey coming out swinging against the Saudis.

I'm happy to see the Saudis taken down a peg, but I'm not thrilled to see Erdogan's Turkey starting to feel its oats and make power plays like this. I'm also worried about the western establishment getting overly enmeshed with Qatari/Turkish interests, in the way that they previously got way too enmeshed with Saudi interests.

The Saudis pulled this poo poo and a bunch of other dumb poo poo in the last couple of years. Wouldn't it be nice to be allied with competent evil for a change?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Awkward
https://twitter.com/trtworldnow/status/1054342727351988224?s=21

[edit] They're so bad at crime

https://twitter.com/nawaroliver/status/1054350246506041344?s=21

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 22, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Blue shoes don't make it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/KSAmofaEN/status/1054346089141358597

Tomorrow Erdogan will be speaking, and has promised to detail the murder "in full nakedness", hopefully speaking about the details rather than his state of dress. The amount of information coming out today might be pre-empting the material revealed tomorrow. If there's audio played tomorrow then it'll be interesting to see the international reaction. I expect the EU will have a strong reaction and Trump will utterly some empty promises and hope it all goes away.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

A rouge operation....

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

A rouge operation....

The Saudis don't play when it comes to makeovers.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Flavahbeast posted:

A rouge operation....

:laffo:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well, it did leave them pretty red faced.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I genuinely don't understand the point of the body double. Were they trying to establish some kind of alibi?

Are the Saudis just really bad at this? Is the CIA usually this bad at this? :psyduck:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It wouldn't surprise me if the next thing we see is a photo of a Saudi agent watching Khashoggi through a pair of eyeholes cut into a newspaper.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brown Moses posted:

https://twitter.com/KSAmofaEN/status/1054346089141358597

Tomorrow Erdogan will be speaking, and has promised to detail the murder "in full nakedness", hopefully speaking about the details rather than his state of dress. The amount of information coming out today might be pre-empting the material revealed tomorrow. If there's audio played tomorrow then it'll be interesting to see the international reaction. I expect the EU will have a strong reaction and Trump will utterly some empty promises and hope it all goes away.

Screencapping this in case they wise up:

Will also cross-post to the awful charts and graphs thread, because LOL.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
That tweet honestly looks like Qanon poo poo to me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Frightening Knight posted:

I genuinely don't understand the point of the body double. Were they trying to establish some kind of alibi?

Are the Saudis just really bad at this? Is the CIA usually this bad at this? :psyduck:

it seems like it was for the "No, he's still alive, he left the embassy the same day and then disappeared" story they were pushing early on.

the weird thing is that they never actually used these images to support that story, so maybe they knew that Turkey was on to their bullshit early on. or maybe the strategy was based on hoping Turkey would see him on surveillance and buy their story, and that never worked.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Throatwarbler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8rDHAQ09BM

Moderator note: this is Islamist propaganda, I suggest that you do not click on it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chechen jihadis always look like a peek into what a Montana/Idaho islamist insurgency would look like.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
This aged well...

https://twitter.com/KSAmofaEN/status/1051577566602174466

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What I wouldn't give for audio of a call between MbS and Khashoggi.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Some nerd managed to become a Finnish newspaper quiz answer.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

We've found the true victims here:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1054337430390743040

The ghouls are expressing condolences for the murder they ordered now.

https://twitter.com/KSAmofaEN/status/1054137658040033281

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 22, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1054413660767117313

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

He took a cab, so maybe the plan was that the driver would back the story. I just don't understand how they didn't think that there'd be CCTV everywhere they went in Istanbul. Or maybe these geniuses thought that security cameras in year 1440 after Hijra would record on betamax cassettes with grainy b/w quality.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Does everybody take notes on their criminal loving conspiracies?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I don't get why they had a body double but didn't use him.

To respond to the accusation that Khashoggi never left, the Saudis could have released footage of the double leaving the premises. Of course the Turks would have seen through it, but the Saudis didn't even try, they just said "he totally left" while giving no evidence. Or maybe they did, just behind the scenes?

The whole thing is baffling.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I don't get why they had a body double but didn't use him.

The fiancee completely hosed up whatever Benny Hill routine they had planned.

That's pretty much the only reason this story blew up. She went straight to the Turks when he took more than two hours to get his papers, and the Saudis clearly do not improvise well under time pressure.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1054439207127707648

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
If there's a speck of a crumb of a grain of truth in that, holy poo poo why is this not being made public.

I'm skeptical just because that's too immaculately insane and evil.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Show the pics
https://twitter.com/CombatJourno/status/1054441874977685510

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

I hope they keep denying and there is something that ties directly to MbS. Not that he would necessarily be kicked out of the line of succession, his consolidation of power may have been too strong for this to change that. One thing I wonder is why his father didn't abdicate in favour of him officially.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Coldwar timewarp posted:

One thing I wonder is why his father didn't abdicate in favour of him officially.

It's good to be the king.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

yeah not that im in a huge rush to see any of that imagery, but at some point there needs to be proof that this photo/audio/video collection exists beyond turkish news twitter insisting it exists.

e; i'm seeing photos of sinaloa handiwork being passed off as being Kashoggi, but that's, y'know, not really the same thing.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 22, 2018

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Sinteres posted:

It's good to be the king.

It seems like he abdicated a lot of the duties to his son anyway. I guess I dont understand these octagenarians who need to cling onto power until death. Or at least not in this case.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Quick question, considering how vitally important both are in the region I really know nothing about Turkish-Iranian relations both now or in the recent past, obviously the Iranians are at the Saudi's throats but seeing Turkey's obvious bad blood with them too now, is there sign that Iran and Turkey are aligning together more closely, especially since the war in Syria is winding down?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Coldwar timewarp posted:

It seems like he abdicated a lot of the duties to his son anyway. I guess I dont understand these octagenarians who need to cling onto power until death. Or at least not in this case.

My actual answer is that there's probably some degree of regime stability offered by having a father/son duo working in tandem--if you kill one and the other one manages to survive, you're pretty much hosed, so it might deter anyone from getting any ideas. Plus the crown prince being the effective ruler isn't unique to this duo, since Abdullah was effectively running the country for much of the time his brother Fahd was king. Most monarchs just don't abdicate, and while they've abandoned traditional succession in the country with this group of rulers, there's no need to completely break with tradition, especially since being the titular ruler of a country is probably pretty nice even if you let your son run things day to day. Plus if MBS fucks up and has to be replaced as crown prince, that's a lot easier/less of a terrible precedent for the kingdom than having to remove a king.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 22, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Quick question, considering how vitally important both are in the region I really know nothing about Turkish-Iranian relations both now or in the recent past, obviously the Iranians are at the Saudi's throats but seeing Turkey's obvious bad blood with them too now, is there sign that Iran and Turkey are aligning together more closely, especially since the war in Syria is winding down?

I doubt it.

Iran and Turkey are natural rivals, just because of the hand geography dealt them.

That being said, they're on ok terms. Turkey just re-started a scheme of exchanging gold for goods, smuggled over their shared border to dodge US sanctions. They are both pretty friendly with Qatar, and pretty unfriendly with KSA/UAE. They both don't want a Kurdish state.

So they'll work together, a bit, and may see more of that. But I think it's similar to Turkey's relationship with Russia. Whatever they do in the short term to work together, they're natural (and historical) enemies in the long run, so don't expect solid alliances to come of this.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing that Turkey is waiting till right before the US midterm elections to release the conclusive evidence that shows the brutal execution and MbS's direct ties to it. I don't now why they'd want to gently caress over Trump though, it's not like the Dems would treat Turkey any better. Maybe it really is just Erdogan being angry that he lost to Trump in that pissing match over the pastor.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

So the head probably wasn't disposed of.

Meaning it will somehow turn up in the dead center of the Hagia Sophia at full tourist volume hour.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

They used Skype to communicate their SUPER DUPER SECRET murder plans? loving Skype?

:psyduck:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Missionary Positron posted:

They used Skype to communicate their SUPER DUPER SECRET murder plans? loving Skype?

:psyduck:

These loving idiots seem to actually believe that the world of spies should work like 24. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

qkkl posted:

I'm guessing that Turkey is waiting till right before the US midterm elections to release the conclusive evidence that shows the brutal execution and MbS's direct ties to it. I don't now why they'd want to gently caress over Trump though, it's not like the Dems would treat Turkey any better. Maybe it really is just Erdogan being angry that he lost to Trump in that pissing match over the pastor.

The world doesn't revolve around the US.