Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://youtu.be/twEF6E4BVfo

I’ve heard Cruising is a pretty hard watch. Is it worth checking out?

It’s interesting. It’s easy to see why the gay community objected at the time but I wouldn’t call it outright homophobic. Nothing really gross is explicitly shown, more implied. The one actual flaw with it all is they aim for an ambiguous “ah but what really happened?” narrative but don’t quite pull it off.

Worth seeing, I’d say. Also the music is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Arrow is now licensing from Warner Bros and they’re starting with William Friedkin’s Cruising.

I wonder if it'll be the original cut.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Vagabundo posted:

I wonder if it'll be the original cut.

Last I remember, none of the original film elements exists and the print of it is gone.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If you collect 3D Blu Rays and have a Big Lots near you I noticed they have about 10 titles for $5 each. All Dreamworks animated movies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ended up ordering the four Betty Boop volumes, John Huston WWII documentaries, and two rare 1910s silents (The Captive by Cecil B. DeMille and The Undesirable by Michael Curtiz) and the 3-D Dragonfly Squadron from the Deep Discount Olive Films BOGO sale.

Also, according to Blu-ray.com Amazon leaked that Warner Archive is releasing The Thing from Another World on Nov. 20.

and Arrow seems to also be releasing Ringu and Southland Tales.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The day I asked if anyone's DeepDiscount order showed up my copy of Dagon comes, Class of 1999 was backordered for a few days so it should show up soon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
DiabolikDVD is having a sale on a few Arrow and MVD DVDs and blu rays:

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/product-category/labels/arrow-releasing/arrow-sale/

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/product-category/labels/mvdrewind/mvdhalloween/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vinegar Syndrome had a payment glitch, so there's a $10 off coupon for when their Black Friday sale comes around.
'blackfriday10'

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Vinegar Syndrome had a payment glitch, so there's a $10 off coupon for when their Black Friday sale comes around.
'blackfriday10'

This also works on the mystery title pre-order that's going on right now.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Awesome, thanks for the code. Grabbed all three. Axe 'Em on Blu-ray this year, book it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So apparently the Classic Monsters set is still hosed. The 3D on Revenge is fixed but the 2D is still botched. Smooth, Universal. Smooth.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Doesn't that set also straight up contain 3 copies of some of the movies?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Almost Blue posted:

Doesn't that set also straight up contain 3 copies of some of the movies?

Yeah I think there are at least 3 copies of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. The set's just a bundled repacking of the individual sets.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I did it! I pulled the trigger on 4k, unfortunately the TV did not fit in my car, so I have to wait until Saturday.

So other than the Coppola Dracula, what should I snag? I'm looking at Halloween, Predator, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Which tv did you get?

mem
Sep 1, 2005
If you are a Carpenter fan I just watched Christine on a 4k oled and that movie looked amazing to me. Halloween was pretty good, too.

Next release I'm looking forward to is 2001 later this month.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

Which tv did you get?

I got the 65" TCL series 6 from Best Buy.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617

mem posted:

If you are a Carpenter fan I just watched Christine on a 4k oled and that movie looked amazing to me. Halloween was pretty good, too.

Next release I'm looking forward to is 2001 later this month.

I saw that, and was considering it as well. I have never actually seen Christine and I'm not sure why, so I may have to correct that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Never thought Christine would benefit from 4k, what with it being 70s King that isn't Carrie and all.

2001 would be pretty sumptuous though. I'd really like to get my hands on some noir/b&w stuff in 4k. Casablanca? What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? Twilight Zone remasters? They'd look spectacular.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Classic Monsters set is $69.99 on Amazon. That's a freakin steal even with the bad disc.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

At that price I had to order it. What is the problem with the disc?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah I think there are at least 3 copies of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. The set's just a bundled repacking of the individual sets.

I looked it up and apparently it also has three copies of House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula. It was probably cheaper to just put existing stock in a different package, but you'd also think it would cheaper to not give customers three copies of the exact same disc.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

$70 is about the cost of a couple of the individual sets so yeah it's a good deal.

People already whined about the duplication between the individual sets. Of course if there was no duplication they'd be whining that they had to buy a set they didn't want for one movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CRAYON posted:

At that price I had to order it. What is the problem with the disc?

On the original run the 3D on Revenge of the Creature was incorrectly authored and the 2D was at DVD quality for some reason. Apparently on this second run the 3D problem is fixed but not the 2D problem.

All the other discs seem to be great though.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

4k restorations for Dead Alice and Bad Taste coming soon. I’m so excited to see this.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

quote:

Jackson’s Meet the Feebles will also be restored.

Talk about burying the lede!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hell yeah!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A decked out restored Braindead Blu-ray limited edition from Arrow would be the best thing that's ever happened in my life. And I have two kids.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You know what's loving awesome? Finding out you got a 3% salary increase when you weren't even expecting one. To celebrate I just bought: Halloween Complete Collection (10 disc), the Female Prisoner set (Arrow LE), Night of the Demon (Indicator LE), and the Saw complete set.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

quote:

“Anything from those films that is available is, like, 1990s Telecine things, which is the best that we had… compared now, they look bloody awful,” Jackson told the podcast. “I just haven’t re-released them because, if I do, I want them to look really good. We’ve actually done some experiments. They look bloody fantastic. They look like they’re shot on 35mm.”

Do the original negatives not exist anymore or something?! Or is he talking specifically about Bad Taste being in 16mm?

Meet the Feebles isn't all that hot, but I'm excited to see it in a quality that's above a 10th generation bootleg.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

caligulamprey posted:

Do the original negatives not exist anymore or something?! Or is he talking specifically about Bad Taste being in 16mm?

Meet the Feebles isn't all that hot, but I'm excited to see it in a quality that's above a 10th generation bootleg.

He was talking specifically about Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles, both of which were shot in 16mm.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh my god. I thought PJ would never put his good movies back out.

edit: Listening to the podcast, pretty sure he's just saying that anything out there in the world is from old telecine, not that he doesn't have the originals.
I hope his "World War One process" isn't trying to scrub all the grain out, but him saying that they restored the movies a couple of years ago and 'they still looked like crap' has me worried that he just can't deal with 16mm blowing up to 2k/4k without fiddling with it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 22, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I did it! I pulled the trigger on 4k, unfortunately the TV did not fit in my car, so I have to wait until Saturday.

So other than the Coppola Dracula, what should I snag? I'm looking at Halloween, Predator, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

4k has actually been kind recently to fans of 90's Will Smith movies, because Bad Boys and Men in Black are both really really impressive looking. I think my favorite current movie on UHD though is Atomic Blonde, that's probably the best one I can think of for showing off HDR/Dolby Vision.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's amazing how good Bad Boys looks given its budget. Michael Bay is talented.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: disregard, I thought they did Seven for less

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 23, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oh my god. I thought PJ would never put his good movies back out.

edit: Listening to the podcast, pretty sure he's just saying that anything out there in the world is from old telecine, not that he doesn't have the originals.
I hope his "World War One process" isn't trying to scrub all the grain out, but him saying that they restored the movies a couple of years ago and 'they still looked like crap' has me worried that he just can't deal with 16mm blowing up to 2k/4k without fiddling with it.

Take this with a grain of salt, but someone on the blu-ray.com forums mentioned that Jackson's restored war footage looks DNR'd to hell and generally lovely :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The publicity stills I saw of that WWI thing looked surprisingly similar to classic Ted Turner "colorizing" efforts, though maybe I'm just forgetting how bad those really were. But it didn't really make me think "wow, that's what it really looked like to be there." Maybe the finished product will be better, I dunno. I guess it'll still be interesting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Take this with a grain of salt, but someone on the blu-ray.com forums mentioned that Jackson's restored war footage looks DNR'd to hell and generally lovely :(

Not that this would extend to remastering undamaged, 24 frame movies (I'd hope!), but I remember noticing some really yucky frame interpolation in the WWI trailer.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Anyone know if the Batman Animated Blu-ray set will be available in non-limited sets? I think I missed the boat on getting that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ohvee posted:

Anyone know if the Batman Animated Blu-ray set will be available in non-limited sets? I think I missed the boat on getting that.

It’s not out yet. Amazon doesn’t have it listed for whatever reason, but wb’s web store does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Sir Lemming posted:

The publicity stills I saw of that WWI thing looked surprisingly similar to classic Ted Turner "colorizing" efforts, though maybe I'm just forgetting how bad those really were. But it didn't really make me think "wow, that's what it really looked like to be there." Maybe the finished product will be better, I dunno. I guess it'll still be interesting.

The absolute worst I've seen was the first WW2 In Colour release; it looked mostly amazing, but all of the footage was cropped to 16:9. The modern interviews, the whole loving premise of archival 1935-1945 colour film that most certainly wasn't that aspect ratio, all of it. I think they fixed it for another release down the road, though.