Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Someone on Milk the Funk just posted a pic of their Lacto-Kveik beLEANerweiss beer that was colored a really intense purple with Butterfly Pea Flowers. I'm tempted to try something similar know, but go all-in on the Lean aspect and dig up some Sprite-like flavors with a Lemon Lime + Lactose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

robotsinmyhead posted:

Someone on Milk the Funk just posted a pic of their Lacto-Kveik beLEANerweiss beer that was colored a really intense purple with Butterfly Pea Flowers. I'm tempted to try something similar know, but go all-in on the Lean aspect and dig up some Sprite-like flavors with a Lemon Lime + Lactose.

that sounds pretty cool, let us know how it goes. (aside from pea flowers, wtf)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Ghostnuke posted:

that sounds pretty cool, let us know how it goes. (aside from pea flowers, wtf)

They're using like 2oz of dried flowers to tint the beer really purple. They added it like a dryhop for 2-3 days, said it imparted some really mild tea flavors and faded fast enough to not be a consideration, so, PURPLE.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

They're using like 2oz of dried flowers to tint the beer really purple. They added it like a dryhop for 2-3 days, said it imparted some really mild tea flavors and faded fast enough to not be a consideration, so, PURPLE.

Those flowers are normally used for non-tea teas, so it doesn't surprise that the mild flavors were gone quickly. I saw the post though, it's very brightly colored.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Of course when I go to pull up BA to link you it says it combines Belgian and English yeast. lol. I legit love this beer though, wanted to try and get something similar-ish going for the winter.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32615/108005/

Great Divide makes a Belgian Yeti imperial stout; it's been while since I've had it but I remember liking it quite a bit. They've got enough distribution that I'm sure there's probably a bunch of clone recipes out there if you want to look some up for inspiration.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Anybody got advice on making a tripel? I was going to start with something pretty simple. I'm not 100% sure how I'll mash it. Probably just 90 minutes at 155F, right?

My recipe is:
15 lbs Belgian pilsner
1.5 lbs caravienne
1 oz chocolate malt
1 lb demerera (10 minute boil)
1 lb D-90 (secondary)
More invert sugar to meet 9% abv in secondary?
1 oz nugget @ 40
1 oz tettnang @ 10
Underpitch WLP500 for increased yeast flavor
1 oz oak (secondary, two weeks+)

I usually gelatin and cold crash, but I might skip those.

FireDooley
Apr 30, 2013
Hello thread, due to my poor planning I have gotten myself into a bit of a situation wrt to fermentation temperature...I posted on reddit but figured I would ask here too...

I ordered the Saison de Noel kit from Northern Brewer and was going to use White Labs Belgian Saison II (WLP566) to ferment, since I do not have a fermentation chamber and usually just leave things at room temp (mid 70s). I am going to go out of town for 2ish weeks and wanted to brew and leave it to ferment while I was gone. My problem is that we are going to turn the heat down while we are out of town and cooler weather is expected, so "room temp" will likely be 50s-60s. Since the saison yeast likes warmer temps, is there a different yeast I could pitch that would prefer the cooler temps and would also kind of work with the Belgiany grain bill? Or just let it ride and hope the house cools slow enough to not matter until I get back and turn the heat back up?

I would rather not go out and buy a heater belt and all that stuff at the moment, so I was more wondering if I could use some strain lager yeast or something that would like the cooler temp, and what changes I could make to the grain bill in order to complement the different flavor profile if that were the case. I know a spicy Belgian beer is like the opposite of a lager but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Grain Bill:

MASH INGREDIENTS

10 lbs. Belgian Pilsner malt

.5 lbs. Belgian Aromatic malta

.25 lbs. Weyermann Carafa III

.25 lbs. Weyermann CaraAroma

MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION

Sacch’ Rest: 150° F for 75 minutes

Mashout: 168° F for 10 minutes

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES

1 oz. US Magnum (60 min)

1 lb Corn Sugar (60 min)

1 lb D90 Candi Syrup (60 min)

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

DISCO KING posted:

Anybody got advice on making a tripel? I was going to start with something pretty simple. I'm not 100% sure how I'll mash it. Probably just 90 minutes at 155F, right?

My recipe is:
15 lbs Belgian pilsner
1.5 lbs caravienne
1 oz chocolate malt
1 lb demerera (10 minute boil)
1 lb D-90 (secondary)
More invert sugar to meet 9% abv in secondary?
1 oz nugget @ 40
1 oz tettnang @ 10
Underpitch WLP500 for increased yeast flavor
1 oz oak (secondary, two weeks+)

I usually gelatin and cold crash, but I might skip those.

I wouldn’t use any crystal or chocolate malts. The caravienna will make the beer too sweet and the chocolate malt is just in there to darken the color which isn’t needed. I also wouldn’t use D-90, it’s too dark. The recipe you listed would be more for a dubbel than a tripel.

To tweak that recipe I would suggest 10% sugar, 10% vienna and 80% pilsner. Don’t underpitch your yeast but do try to start it at a lower temprerature (64*) and let it ramp to higher temperatures (72-74*)

You can do the oak if you like but it’s not necessary or traditional.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

FireDooley posted:

I ordered the Saison de Noel kit from Northern Brewer and was going to use White Labs Belgian Saison II (WLP566) to ferment, since I do not have a fermentation chamber and usually just leave things at room temp (mid 70s). I am going to go out of town for 2ish weeks and wanted to brew and leave it to ferment while I was gone. My problem is that we are going to turn the heat down while we are out of town and cooler weather is expected, so "room temp" will likely be 50s-60s. Since the saison yeast likes warmer temps, is there a different yeast I could pitch that would prefer the cooler temps and would also kind of work with the Belgiany grain bill?

The yeast will probably be a little less expressive than usual, but that lends itself well to doing a Biere de Garde twist on this recipe. I'd let it ride, then bring the temp up for a week or so when you get back, and then, if you can be bothered, either lager the fermenter, keg or carbonated bottles for at least a month.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Josh Wow posted:

I wouldn’t use any crystal or chocolate malts. The caravienna will make the beer too sweet and the chocolate malt is just in there to darken the color which isn’t needed. I also wouldn’t use D-90, it’s too dark. The recipe you listed would be more for a dubbel than a tripel.

To tweak that recipe I would suggest 10% sugar, 10% vienna and 80% pilsner. Don’t underpitch your yeast but do try to start it at a lower temprerature (64*) and let it ramp to higher temperatures (72-74*)

You can do the oak if you like but it’s not necessary or traditional.

These all seem like good suggestions. I'm new to recipe writing, and I think I referenced a strong dubbel I liked once or twice. The dubbel's clone recipe said an oz or two of chocolate provides some small character and isn't very noticeable. I'll probably drop it.
I don't have temp control and I was hoping to encourage phenol production.
I also wasn't sure about the oak. It seemed like a good idea, and very "classical", but I didn't actually want toast. I was hoping for a very subtle wine-barrel-without-the-wine type taste. I was looking at the medium toast at mt LHBS. They do NOT have light toast. If you're feeling generous I'd like to know how bad an idea this is.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: now I'm thinking whether to keep it simple, stupid or throw in some aromatic malt...

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 18, 2018

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DISCO KING posted:

These all seem like good suggestions. I'm new to recipe writing, and I think I referenced a strong dubbel I liked once or twice. The dubbel's clone recipe said an oz or two of chocolate provides some small character and isn't very noticeable. I'll probably drop it.
I also wasn't sure about the oak. It seemed like a good idea, and very "classical", but I didn't actually want toast. I was hoping for a very subtle wine-barrel-without-the-wine type taste. I was looking at the medium toast at mt LHBS. They do NOT have light toast. If you're feeling generous I'd like to know how bad an idea this is.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: now I'm thinking whether to keep it simple, stupid or throw in some aromatic malt...

K-I-S-S. Tripels are a style that begs for simplicity in the grain bill. They shouldn't have any dark malt flavors and low sweetness. So go easy on crystal malts (if any) and skip all the rest. Yeast flavor is big in tripels, and it should be finishing fairly low. The 80% pilsner/10% vienna/10% sucrose is a great place to start. Aromatic could work okay, but I'd stick with the vienna if I had the option. I start higher on the temp with my yeast than Josh Wow, but that's down to the strain I select and what I want it to do. Still underpitch compared to normal ale rates, the stress gives nice flavor, but you won't want to skip a diacetyl rest.

I've made a good tripel with 12# pilsner, 3# wheat, 2# sucrose too. That version I brewed 4 years ago and just drank the last bottle a month ago. Used Wyeast 1214. It was a wonderful beer until the end.

Skip the oak, medium toast is still going to be a lot for that style. All the dark malt, oak, and complicated malt bill is best saved for a dubbel or a quadrupel style brew day. But considering that's where your brain keeps going, just make one of those instead maybe?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Jhet posted:

But considering that's where your brain keeps going, just make one of those instead maybe?

I'm probably going to make a quad in a single gallon batch. The truth is I have the barest scrap of recipe writing knowledge and I'm half guessing how most of it is going to taste. Sometimes I'm just wrong about some things, too. It's why I ask. I've had a small series of one gallon recipes that have been very informative. I haven't asked for advice on those because I usually want to know what one or two ingredients taste like. I definitely like the dubbel and quad style, so I'll keep all of that in mind. It's just what goes into what is very new and confusing right now.

My last 5 gallon beer was also mostly my own recipe, but it was a super simple blonde. Hilariously, this Belgian is now almost a "triple" of that with a different hop schedule. IIRC, it was just 5lb pale, 1/2lb Vienna, topped with some dextrose to hit my 4% abv mark. So I'm almost literally tripling that. The biggest difference is the Cascade hop bill with those fresh hops I grew this summer.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

DISCO KING posted:

Thanks for the help!

Pilsner should be your base malt, and then you add sugar, probably somewhere between 11-16%. That's really all you need.

If you absolutely have to monkey with the classic grain-bill my first stop would be looking into adding wheat and maybe some oats. Somewhere around 7% or so would be good if you're just looking for a little help with head retention, but you could go as high as 35% if you were looking to make a weird bretty tripel like Anchorage The Tide and Its Takers, or if you wanted to keep the alcohol a bit lower and still maintain body, like Tripel Karmeliet.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 18, 2018

FireDooley
Apr 30, 2013

Biomute posted:

The yeast will probably be a little less expressive than usual, but that lends itself well to doing a Biere de Garde twist on this recipe. I'd let it ride, then bring the temp up for a week or so when you get back, and then, if you can be bothered, either lager the fermenter, keg or carbonated bottles for at least a month.

Thanks! That sounds good to me, I was gonna make them as Christmas gift beers anyway so a month of lagering would work out well.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Triple recipe talk:

Look up the recipes that Candisyrup has on their site. I haven’t used one yet but they get rave reviews.

There’s an all Pilsner+d180 westy 12 recipe there that is supposed to get great results. Would love to try that when I get a free second to brew.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Okay, so I swapped out the darker malts for some Vienna, but my efficiency sucked hard. Beersmith estimates my efficiency is down at 42%, and I literally could not put more grain in my kettle. Maybe I just suck at sparging? :shrug:
I'm about 0.028 off my target gravity. So I'll have to compensate for that somehow. Got plenty of demerera left, and I could always grab some dmx or something in a pinch.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Id go the dmx route

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

DISCO KING posted:

Okay, so I swapped out the darker malts for some Vienna, but my efficiency sucked hard. Beersmith estimates my efficiency is down at 42%, and I literally could not put more grain in my kettle. Maybe I just suck at sparging? :shrug:
I'm about 0.028 off my target gravity. So I'll have to compensate for that somehow. Got plenty of demerera left, and I could always grab some dmx or something in a pinch.

DME is always a fast and reliable life saver. Adding candisyrup/sugar tends to thin everything out depending on the dosing.

On the other hand, my best tripel recipe had about 20% invert sugar in the form of honey and candi sugar so who knows? :iiam:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

gamera009 posted:

DME is always a fast and reliable life saver. Adding candisyrup/sugar tends to thin everything out depending on the dosing.

On the other hand, my best tripel recipe had about 20% invert sugar in the form of honey and candi sugar so who knows? :iiam:

My favorite tripel recipe is 70% pils 15% wheat 15% sugar. So that doesn't surprise me at all. It really needs the sugar to lighten it to a point where it's just drinkable.

In other news it only took 3 days for my spontaneous batch to start fermenting to the naked eye. I refuse to open the thing to look at it, even though I really want to see what's happening. I just know it's not going to have much of a krausen if any and it's probably just bubbles and I don't really want to see the rest.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

So on a whim I bought a one gallon fermenter and ordered some more unpasteurized cider, so that I could try brewing it with the wild yeast, but i'm at a bit of a crossroads. Does anybody have experience brewing with JUST wild yeast versus pitching cultivated yeast along with the wild yeast?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Just waiting for mine to clear. Super easy brew day.

http://www.hivemindmead.com/guide-brewing-wild-hard-cider/

Just sanitize your carboy and pour the cider in, affix airlock, profit.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

So I take it you didn't let it sit with a cheese paper or coffee filter over the mouth of the carboy for a day? It seems to be a pretty common suggestion from what I've seen, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tibalt posted:

So I take it you didn't let it sit with a cheese paper or coffee filter over the mouth of the carboy for a day? It seems to be a pretty common suggestion from what I've seen, but I'm a bit skeptical.

That's only useful if you want the microbes from your own environment. Wild cider typically uses the microbes that are from the orchard and pressed with the cider. I still use pectic enzyme when I do mine, but other than that I just leave it in a carboy with an airlock and just make sure it has liquid in it. Then when it looks to be done I check it for gravity and taste and decide if it needs any more time to hang out or not. I had a batch that went about a year and it was the best batch I've made... and I didn't do anything to it.

Granted, all that will depend on the orchard and what they have hanging out in their trees and press (usually pretty good chances). You won't know what you get until you try it, so good luck!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I wanna make a blackberry cider. People often add malic acid and tannin to ciders and blackberries have plenty of both,

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Jhet posted:

That's only useful if you want the microbes from your own environment. Wild cider typically uses the microbes that are from the orchard and pressed with the cider. I still use pectic enzyme when I do mine, but other than that I just leave it in a carboy with an airlock and just make sure it has liquid in it. Then when it looks to be done I check it for gravity and taste and decide if it needs any more time to hang out or not. I had a batch that went about a year and it was the best batch I've made... and I didn't do anything to it.

Granted, all that will depend on the orchard and what they have hanging out in their trees and press (usually pretty good chances). You won't know what you get until you try it, so good luck!

This.

This cider will already be totally loaded with yeast and bacteria. no need to harvest more yeast from the air. The type of yeast you get varies locally from orchard to orchard so it's always kind of a crap shoot, but the Increasing ABV and decreasing pH always are in your favor. You would need to collect some wild yeast via the loose cover / cheesecloth method if you had only pasteurized cider.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Biomute posted:

I wanna make a blackberry cider. People often add malic acid and tannin to ciders and blackberries have plenty of both,

I imagine that would be delicious. Blackberries might be easier to get flavor into cider than they are in beer too. Raspberries would probably just over power the apple.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I guess I have to brew now!

Got a crazy deal on bulk grain, so I grabbed 2 bags of 6-Row (which is impossible to find at LHBS), 2 White Wheat, and a bag of 2-Row Pale, as well as 1/3bag of Pale Chocolate and 1/3bag of Rye.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Gogogogo

I got a gose to brew. Might try another no boil

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Now that we have a kid my wife made mention about sour beers. I think my next thing to try is going to be a gose.

My quick lager oktoberfest came out really tasty. I am pleasantly surprised for my first attempt at a lager.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Whats this quick october fest recipe you have?

Ill trade you my tangerine gose recipe for it. Or, ill just fetch my gose recipe.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Ill trade you my tangerine gose recipe for it. Or, ill just fetch my gose recipe.

No boil works great. How do you deal with the tangerine? Zest or juice?

4# pils and 4# wheat is an easy place to start. I love how simple gose recipes can be. It's all about that lactic. I'd do it more often, but I have a big of a log jam in getting rid of it all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Racked my test mead batches last night.

I don't think the one in the middle will ever clear, it's going to be a cloudy critter and needs a few months to age off some sharp flavors, but the cranberry/raspberry/orange is dangerously drinkable right now.

Far right is some leftover straight base mead I made to top off the others, decided to add strawberries and vanilla in secondary so it's turning a great shade of red today.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Zested 2 tangerines + juice from 3 lbs of fruit for 3 gallons of beer. All in secondary

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Zested 2 tangerines + juice from 3 lbs of fruit for 3 gallons of beer. All in secondary

That makes me wish I had a juicer attachment for my food processor. I'm not sure I'd want to juice 5# of tangerines (for my batch size). That would be enough fruit to be a pain.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah i did those by hand. Not fun.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Marshmallow Blue posted:

5.5 lbs Pilsner
5.5 lbs Munich Malt (10L)
1.25 lbs Caramunich I
2 oz Hallertauer at 60
Wyeast 2633

As for quick I followed the Brulosophy's guys quick lager method. I brewed this on the 29th, kegged on the 14th. No off flavors I can detect. I did underpitch by accident, used to the GigaYeast stuff, but it's clean.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Yesterday I had my second brew day. It was a lot more work (and fun) than the first time since this time I didn’t start with a premade bag of wort.

This time I milled the grain and did the mashing as well. I also had a cooler so I didn’t have to wait for hop/wort mixture too cool down all by itself (so that went a lot quicker than without one, especially on a hot summer day haha). I also made a yeast starter the day before since my first brew had a 4 day lag phase due to yeast that was a bit over it’s best before date and throwing it in the wort directly instead of activating it first.

Some things still felt a bit clumsy and I was hoping you guys have some ideas on how to improve my way of working.

First thing was getting the temperature right. The recipe required me to mash on 2 different temperatures as well as cook on 2 temperatures. I have a pretty basic (electric powered) brew kettle. Is there an easier way to get the temperature right than sticking a thermometer in it every 10 minutes and keep watching it directly to make sure you don’t mash/boil on a temp that’s too high?

The second thing was the lautering. I filtered the wort using a colander/sieve. There were about 4-5 full colanders worth of residual grain that I needed to store somehow so I could use it for sparging after my brew kettle was completely empty. What’s a good way to do this? I now stored it in a bucket until I heated up enough new water to do ths sparging. It felt like a lot of back and forward running between the brew kettle, my bucket for clear wort, the bucket I stored my post mash grain in and the stove to heat up new water. It must have looked like a slapstick movie to an outsider.

The last thing was the heating up of the wort for the boiling phase. It seemed to take ages before it was up to boiling temperature (about 40 minutes). There’s no way to speed this up besides cleaning the brew kettle and heating up the first batch of wort directly before starting the lautering process, or would that be a really bad idea since you unevenly heat the wort?

After boiling everything went pretty smooth and the airlock has been pretty active. If this batch works out fine, I’ll have a nice amount of home made beer for the holidays.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Anyone brewed with Spruce tips and have an idea of usage rates? My dad wants to brew a beer with them and I'm afraid were going to end up with PINE: THE BEER.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

Yesterday I had my second brew day. It was a lot more work (and fun) than the first time since this time I didn’t start with a premade bag of wort.

Congrats! Hopefully it turns out well enough for your drinking pleasure.

You can get fancy temp probes and automatic switches, but really they're just doing the same thing you're doing with a thermometer. I've been running on my system now for 3 years and I still just use an electric handheld thermometer to measure temps. At this point I almost don't have to check often and just know by feeling how much time has passed, but I still measure it.

I have a false bottom and a valve at the bottom of both of my kettles. While I have two kettles, you could make a mashtun out of a water cooler and add a false bottom to it. There are a lot of guides on the internet, and some shops sell their own kits for doing it. Then you can heat the sparge water in your kettle while the mash is happening. I have a cooler for my hot sparge water, so it's easiest if you have some way to have 3 vessels in use at a time. You could easily make two of them coolers (one for the mash, one for the sparge water). Then you can lauter straight into your kettle. I start the heat after I have a gallon in the kettle so that it cuts down the wait time. I'm usually at about 190F and nearing a boil by the time I'm done lautering.

Having those extra vessels isn't entirely necessary, but it does make it less of a dance and would get you back to temp and closer to boiling sooner. What I'd recommend avoiding it spending a lot of extra money on things while you're starting and figuring out where you can increase your own quality of life for your brew day. You can certainly use other vessels, like small wooden barrels or heat tolerant buckets. But figure out which solution works best for you and then work from there.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Anyone brewed with Spruce tips and have an idea of usage rates? My dad wants to brew a beer with them and I'm afraid were going to end up with PINE: THE BEER.

Yes, and it's important to harvest them in the spring when they're just starting to bud, but before they've started to fully spread out. They don't taste like pine then and taste fresh and a bit citrusy. Any spruce branches you use now will taste like a spruce tree and piney. I used a pound in a pale ale last spring with noble-ish hops and it turned out pretty good. I have another pound in the freezer from spring that I'm going to try to use in a brown ale this fall yet.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
On this note. The Sam Adams fall seasonal spruce lager is hot trash. I'm Disappointed.