Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Did Chibnall say that they weren't doing a season arc this time or did I make that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jivjov posted:

Not to disagree with your point; but I have noticed a general tendency to do that more often with female actors than male ones. I don't remember if it was a tweet or an article or something, but I read somewhere that that can be perceived as more dismissive or overly familiar, whereas sticking with surnames for male actors shows more respect.

Its an interesting dynamic

Doctors 4, 5, 6, 7, 12 and 13 all get referred to by their first names.

And Eleven is most frequently called by his full name, you ever notice that?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 22, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm still giggling over the Tenth Doctor being played by David Tennant

Also feels weird to refer to (some) actors by their first names

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Doctors 4, 5, 6, 7, 12 and 13 all get referred to by their first names.

And Ten is most frequently called by his full name, you ever notice that?

Oh I'm talking about actors overall, not just Doctor Who ones; but yeah, I get you.

That said, in my completely anecdotal experience, I seem to see "McCoy" more than "Sylvester". Agreed on all the others.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Whittaker is simply too many syllables! Who even has time to say that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The time rotor does move!

https://twitter.com/mattbobross/status/1054306742346113025

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bessantj posted:

Did Chibnall say that they weren't doing a season arc this time or did I make that up?

All he said was "ten standalone episodes". Which people seem to have interpreted as "no season arc" but which I suspect just meant "no literal two or three part episodes".

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, I wasn't agape in horror, so that's a plus. Still, this feels like Chibnall said "I want an episode about Rosa Parks" and they worked around that idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Still don't like the new TARDIS.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

docbeard posted:

All he said was "ten standalone episodes". Which people seem to have interpreted as "no season arc" but which I suspect just meant "no literal two or three part episodes".

There will be an arc. So far, in three episodes we have:

1. A villain, the Stenza, who have been mentioned twice in the first two episodes and who have an unresolved plot line (they were using the planet in episode 2 to test weapons)

2. A villain, Krasko, who half-told his backstory and then got zapped back into the past by Ryan. That dude is coming back.

I just assume it means no 2-parters, but there will be an arc with a season finale that resolves it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Ah that's it, thanks.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I kinda get what they were going for with the new TARDIS having a feeling of being grown, and making it look more alien. But I think 9/10's TARDIS did that a lot better. After watching the latest episode I started going through some old favourites on iPlayer and just finished watching Amy's Choice. I didn't like that TARDIS much in its general look, but it's a brilliantly designed set. The whole thing is like a big adventure playground full of multiple levels and interesting bits to fiddle with, and it allows for some really neat scenes where the cast are all on different levels doing different things being shot from interesting camera angles. I can't see anything like that being possible on the new set.

It's also jarring to go back to that episode right after Rosa. The energy, the chemistry among the crew and Toby Jones, the tightness of the plot, smart and funny dialogue, the emotional punch, the music - it's so far removed from the last 3 turgid episodes.

For all Moffat's faults, he really came out all guns blazing on that first season and everything worked so well, apart from 90 minutes of Silurian boringness. I never expected Chibnall to quite get there, but I was hopeful because of all the bold changes he was making. Based on the preview from last week I was really hoping this episode would be where the show delivered and reinvented itself again but no, it was another solid meh.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/i/events/1054093348963635200

Some powerful tweets.

https://twitter.com/VulcanMonk/status/1054083955421573127

https://twitter.com/CosmicWhoNerd/status/1054089815229112320

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slowpoke! posted:

2. A villain, Krasko, who half-told his backstory and then got zapped back into the past by Ryan. That dude is coming back.

Scuttlebutt is that in his introductory scene, Krasko was meant to reply to the Doctor asking him who he was by introducing himself as, "Krasko, but in the language of your people, I am called... Timothy Shaw!"

It all ties together.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Slowpoke! posted:

1. A villain, the Stenza, who have been mentioned twice in the first two episodes and who have an unresolved plot line (they were using the planet in episode 2 to test weapons)

I just assume it means no 2-parters, but there will be an arc with a season finale that resolves it.

You know, the Stenza empire being effectively seeded by a time-travelling human racist would explain why their rite of passage is specifically hunting humans before they've even left Earth. Kept the species target, eventually forgot he only hated certain types of human.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Slowpoke! posted:

I'd say their unresolved plot line is "Are explicitly stated to be holding captive humans in stasis as trophies". The fact they their weapons were developed and tested on some planet at the arse end of the universe by captives doesnt feel so much likse a plot thread to me as a background detail.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

Yank viewers- how were the accents?

I was catching up on The Last Ship as well, and the incredibly stereotypical Southerners at a down south rich folks fundraiser were far, far more hokey and put on than anything in Rosa. :shrug:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Elevator Screamer posted:

It's also jarring to go back to that episode right after Rosa. The energy, the chemistry among the crew and Toby Jones, the tightness of the plot, smart and funny dialogue, the emotional punch, the music - it's so far removed from the last 3 turgid episodes.

I think this episode was great, but that brass music that kept constantly repeating through the episode did really stand out.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Nodosaur posted:

I've grown up in the Midwest, specifically might-as-well-be-the-Deep-South Missouri.

The villain did not need to be "fleshed out". He is very, very, very real portrayal of people that very much exist.

Missouri isn't part of the Deep South?

Huh, first time I've heard this. Not joking, here.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Missouri isn't part of the Deep South?

Huh, first time I've heard this. Not joking, here.

I mean it's not even considered the south by many people, myself included (I'm a native).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Astroman posted:

Far Beyond The Stars was blunt but not every single white person in that episode was a cruel, Snidely Whiplash racist, though apparently every white person in Montgomery was.

Far Beyond The Stars was set in New York.

Yes, New York and Montgomery were vastly different in terms of their racism levels, even if institutional racism was still extremely pervasive and prevalent (as seen in Far Beyond The Stars largely expressing it via a nationally published magazine and the police, rather than the average citizen on the street), and New York certainly wasn't racism free.

So...yeah, both episodes were fairly accurate, overall.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Now I come to think of it a bit, it is kind of interesting (as a white dude) that the far future as envisioned predominantly by white dudes is usually one where the only racism that exists is in coded forms; other species are racists among themselves, or against other species, or WE-ARE-THE-SU-PER-I-OR-BE-INGS, but racism amongst humans is completely unheard of, hell, we're not even Americans or Russians or Pakistani any more, we're humans.

Whereas we get Doctor Who written by a black woman and hell yeah there are future white supremacists, or at least one. Who was a mass murderer held in Space Supermax and only let free on the condition that he be wired up so he literally couldn't hurt anyone, so you could probably draw certain conclusions about how widespread the Space Proud Boys actually are in the 72nd Century. Hell, you can still have your idealized future if you want by saying that what Kresko meant by this being "when everything started to go wrong" is that in his time there's little to nothing in the way of institutionalized racism and he's fed whatever his personal grudge against society is with ridiculous tales of the "good old days".

If you felt the need for this to somehow be unwritten, I mean, which the more I think about it, the more I do not. Not because I'm not into optimistic visions of the future, but because, even in science fiction, if you want to write about racism, it's completely okay to just loving write about racism without hiding it behind a bunch of layers of metaphor and setting lore and whatnot. Not that those things are bad (and science fiction in particular is a medium through which that can done very powerfully indeed), but I certainly don't think they're necessary.

Which isn't to say that Kresko was an especially compelling villain, but that's more because he was just there to be a plot device, not because he was a Racist from the Future and that's Impossible.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

JustinMorgan posted:

Wait, do Brits actually learn about Rosa Parks in school? I know I revived a lovely UScentric education and couldn't tell you a drat thing about civil rights in any other country.

Few pages back, but... At least back in the 80s, they taught the poo poo out of American 20th century history when I was in school. I think that at least was a period of time where British history was seen as a bit embarrassing and imperialistic. We definitely covered Rosa Parks.

E:

mycomancy posted:

I mean it's not even considered the south by many people, myself included (I'm a native).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Yeah, Missouri was also all over the place in the Civil War, so they've never really been 'The South' in that sense, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_in_the_American_Civil_War

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 23, 2018

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ryan needs to be nicer to Graham. I like how Graham was like “This is my Grandson, fuckers!”

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

navyjack posted:

Ryan needs to be nicer to Graham. I like how Graham was like “This is my Grandson, fuckers!”

Graham is literally the best. We're 3 eps in and I can safely say that if Graham ever gets mind wiped, or takes a deathraven to the chest, or gets sent into the past to die by lovely masonry demons, or leaves the show to gently caress David Tennant offscreen forever, this show is loving dead to me

I really like Yaz too but that's more a testament to how charismatic Mandip Gill is than anything to do with her character itself

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
yeah I really want to like Yaz but she's not giving me enough to work with, she is a cool cop and needs to do more

Graham is everything I wanted from an atypical companion and then some, dude is owning it

Ryan is okay but Graham needs him to play off of so I will be patient

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

navyjack posted:

Ryan going for the fistbump to scare off a racist and then responding with 'no, I don't do that' when Graham tries is so good. Largely because, at least the way I read him, he probably is telling the truth on that one and Graham's just extremely out of touch with both kids in general and his kid specifically.

Also, some clever credit to Graham's old-man-ness, his failed attempt to describe a smartphone sounds like something that would've existed briefly in the 50s or 60s.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

docbeard posted:

Now I come to think of it a bit, it is kind of interesting (as a white dude) that the far future as envisioned predominantly by white dudes is usually one where the only racism that exists is in coded forms; other species are racists among themselves, or against other species, or WE-ARE-THE-SU-PER-I-OR-BE-INGS, but racism amongst humans is completely unheard of, hell, we're not even Americans or Russians or Pakistani any more, we're humans.

Whereas we get Doctor Who written by a black woman and hell yeah there are future white supremacists, or at least one. Who was a mass murderer held in Space Supermax and only let free on the condition that he be wired up so he literally couldn't hurt anyone, so you could probably draw certain conclusions about how widespread the Space Proud Boys actually are in the 72nd Century. Hell, you can still have your idealized future if you want by saying that what Kresko meant by this being "when everything started to go wrong" is that in his time there's little to nothing in the way of institutionalized racism and he's fed whatever his personal grudge against society is with ridiculous tales of the "good old days".

If you felt the need for this to somehow be unwritten, I mean, which the more I think about it, the more I do not. Not because I'm not into optimistic visions of the future, but because, even in science fiction, if you want to write about racism, it's completely okay to just loving write about racism without hiding it behind a bunch of layers of metaphor and setting lore and whatnot. Not that those things are bad (and science fiction in particular is a medium through which that can done very powerfully indeed), but I certainly don't think they're necessary.

Which isn't to say that Kresko was an especially compelling villain, but that's more because he was just there to be a plot device, not because he was a Racist from the Future and that's Impossible.

I'm kinda ok with the idea of there not being a Dalek episode this series if we can count this episode.

The Daleks are often played for laughs and it's nice to remember that this type of darkness is exactly what they were intended to represent.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They implied that Yaz has weird family stuff last week, so I assume they're planning on going somewhere with that.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I just wanted to say that I’m so relieved the 13th Doctor doesn’t know everything. I’m sure my memory is exaggerating, but so much of Capaldi’s Doctor felt like:

“What is that?”
“It’s a Vogul. One of the oldest races in the universe. They can weigh up to 30kg and are bright blue.”
“That one’s purple.”
“So it is. A mystery!”

Meanwhile we’ve had multiple planets and currencies and races where the Doctor is just straight up, “Never heard of ya.” The universe is big, yo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I like how there's already a dozen-journey-wide gap for Big Finish to drop stories into

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I actually expected Graham was going to have to be the Bus driver that gets Park's arrested

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The episode with The Family where Martha was a maid was a better racism episode, but I guess this is okay. Kids will get to see how lovely and ugly racism is at the least.

Kind of annoyed because any previous incarnation from 9 to 12 would've really hosed that racist time-loving bastard up. They've hosed people up for much less, this guy didn't even get a proper "Don't ever gently caress with me" speech and it's a companion who finally dispatches him. And then the Doctor has to contribute to Rosa's injustice on top of all that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Soothing Vapors posted:

if Graham ever .... leaves the show to gently caress David Tennant offscreen forever

I heard this is how they got him to sign the contract in the first place!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Davros1 posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/third-doctor-jo-grant-and-liz-shaw-return

Third Doctor Vol 5. Jon Culshaw to play The Brigadier, and Daisy Ashford (who happens to be the daughter of Caroline John and Geoffrey Beevers) to play Liz Shaw.

This is interesting.

I wonder how long before we see the Master pop up here, and if they'll recast Delgado or just fit Beevers in to the Third Doctor's era. Surely there's nothing to stop them doing the former now that they're recasting beyond the Doctor himself? Could see them wanting to do 3DA v6 featuring the final story of the Delgado Master

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Too late in my time zone for detailed thots but Graham is great.
Also this is probably the best "time traveling series tackles racism in the 1950's" episode.
Also Krasko himself is just a neutered time traveling Proud Boy, but liked the reference to Stormcage as the show up until now did seem set in a different universe, and it's a little comforting to see a little nod to the broader universe.
Krasko feels like he needs to come back, because he implied things when talking to Ryan. Also it wasn't clear if he was alien or human, if he were alien it would take on an interesting spin, like that human progress out into the stars depends on social progression, so if you can derail that, you can stop humans from ever spreading through the galaxy. But it seems darkly plausible that there's still white supremacist dipshits in the far future, too. :smith:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was hoping they'd be ballsy enough to say "yeah he's from the future of this time...the year 2018" or something

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Weirdly specific opinion but I thought the episode was really good but the use of the "Rise Up" song was really a bit much. It felt very "X-Factor contestant gets through", inappropriate for the era (and playing it during the credits was weird), and I feel like "Rise Up" isn't quite the right thing to use lyrically for a person who sparked a revolution by sitting down.

Very good bold and effecting episode otherwise. Song just reminded me of being in school having James Blunt songs blasted at us for positive reinforcement.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Szmitten posted:

Weirdly specific opinion but I thought the episode was really good but the use of the "Rise Up" song was really a bit much. It felt very "X-Factor contestant gets through", inappropriate for the era (and playing it during the credits was weird), and I feel like "Rise Up" isn't quite the right thing to use lyrically for a person who sparked a revolution by sitting down.

Very good bold and effecting episode otherwise. Song just reminded me of being in school having James Blunt songs blasted at us for positive reinforcement.

Wasn't a fan of the song either but it was pretty funny they kept the song going over the Next Time trailer, bridging Rosa Parks being arrested with an attack of the Giant Spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Szmitten posted:

It probably would have been more appropriate to choose a more period-appropriate song. Perhaps they thought "We Shall Overcome" was overdone or something. :shrug:

Fun fact: the writer of "We Shall Overcome", the Reverend Charles Tindley, helped to organise protests outside cinemas showing Birth of a Nation in 1915.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 23, 2018