Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Microsoft/AWS/Vendors sell the SAVINGGGSS!!! very, very hard and will routinely drop numbers like 30-60% without really even getting into what people are running. They always assume you'll move every damned thing to the CLOUD, when really whatever those mostly imaginary savings are only kick in when you're abandoning entire gigantic swaths of on-prem infrastructure, which most businesses cannot/will not do. So now you've got one foot in each ecosystem and are paying heavily for both.

I feel like they also assume you're not keeping around the people you used to have on staff to maintain that infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

xsf421 posted:

I feel like they also assume you're not keeping around the people you used to have on staff to maintain that infrastructure.

ding ding ding ding

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not sure Microsoft has EVER put out something that is so universally useful. It's so good.

Yeah, PowerShell is extremely awesome.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

xsf421 posted:

Bingo! The big spreadsheet of shame has a line for "FTE saved" at some "all in" rate. The only FTE you save are the physical server touchers who swap the ram.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Any example given anywhere about cost savings in IT starts off with a hilarious figure for what your current costs are, almost on the scale of Creative Labs’ “experience” graph.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I have yet to see anything other than a service you can buy be fiscally better running in the cloud.

The only project I've even seen break even was a build process in AWS that our engineers want to do where it's almost dead even in costs vs us just buying a shitload of blade servers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

One of our engineering groups is actually moving out of AWS and back to physical servers due to cost.

They build a software product that needs to load test millions of connections. The lab manager told me it runs about 7K an hour when they spin up the dozens and dozens of instances in AWS for their testing, and they test builds twice a day. For about a couple months AWS billing they're installing 120 supermicro physical servers and moving testing to those. I'm not sure on what platform their doing all the automation or using for a hypervisor and all that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

xsf421 posted:

Or using them to add value instead of limit cost

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

xsf421 posted:

AWS sold my company on this, and when our architects did the math, they forgot to include having things in multiple AZ/regions, so we're already 1.5-2x what was projected.

Curious: did you have a global infrastructure footprint before moving to AWS?

AlternateAccount posted:

Microsoft/AWS/Vendors sell the SAVINGGGSS!!!

routinely

always

Strangely, I know no one who does this. While cost is certainly a factor, the main points that we talk about with potential customers are flexibility and lack of commitment to any architecture. From the brief anecdotes given above, I see examples of workloads that involve fixed encumbrance of compute at scale - one of the worst use-cases for cloud computing.

The best use cases for cloud computing are retail organizations with large swings in workload demand and tech companies who are not afraid to fail fast and iterate quickly. Between the extremes of large, fixed workloads and workloads with dynamic architecture and/or traffic most organizations fall and those organizations need to do their due diligence with appropriate test cases and modelling.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 19, 2018

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I think with cloud the biggest and most consistent thread I see is people massively underestimate the professional cost in building an on-prem solution that provides feature-parity with AWS/Azure/etc.

If you're not out to do that, then it makes a lot of sense to run on-prem.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

abigserve posted:

In my experience there is a lot of creative accounting that goes into the "cloud is too expensive" calculations. They generally omit the facts that:

- You won't need anyone managing on-prem data storage OR SAN networks anymore, depending on scale this can be an entire teams worth of people
- you won't need anyone babysitting VMWare and the associated server components
- you won't need anybody looking after UPS, cooling, technical floorspace
- You won't need to be paying for a separate backup solution
- Entire apps and their associated gatekeepers can be either dramatically simplified or delegated entirely (O365, SCM, etc.)
- You're saving a huge amount of per-port costs, data center networking is expensive especially at 25/40/100G and modern hyperconverged systems use a lot of ports
- Simple stuff can be migrated to severless components which only run when explicitly required and are super cheap
- No maintenance or licensing contracts for hardware/on-prem software components

Sometimes people also forget that on-prem hardware has a lifespan as well, it's not like a DC refresh lasts forever.

Vulture Culture posted:

Or using them to add value instead of limit cost

(We are a software development shop, so I'm posting through that lens)

I see you've met my former boss. He was vehemently anti-cloud, and would present the most disingenuous reports to upper management about why we couldn't possibly move our services into AWS. Modeled as a total lift and shift, no effort to optimize anything whatsoever for the cloud. Like not even reserved instances or moving data into S3/Glacier. All high IOPS EBS volumes in this quote, baby. Meanwhile the on-prem numbers look great because we were running ancient, depreciated, off-support hardware so there's no capex and he's not counting all the time engineers making 6 figures spend telling remote hands to go swap a dead hard drive. He became obsessed with running the lowest cost data center possible, and optimized every choice for that, despite the execs telling him that was not their goal at all.

...he somehow parlayed this into a high-paying job managing teams at Facebook and left (so maybe jokes's on us?). We immediately began moving the company into AWS, because we were below the "economies of scale" size once you run an honest analysis, and it makes more sense to put smart people to work adding value.

I agree you don't go to the cloud to save money. But it can be a good option when you're in that small to medium tier where you don't really have room to pay dedicated data center people and also dedicated SRE people. The less time I'm spending trying to eBay replacement parts, the more time I can spend improving monitoring of our Kubernetes cluster, or whatever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I can't speak for every company but last year Adobe and Microsoft both signed Multi-Million Dollar deals with Azure. General Electric spends tens of millions a year with AWS.

I don't know if small-medium businesses are the target of the cloud but I don't believe these companies are just throwing away money either.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

I can't speak for every company but last year Adobe and Microsoft both signed Multi-Million Dollar deals with Azure.

Does Microsoft really need to make deals with themselves to use their own cloud servers?

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
internal chargeback systems are CTO erection factories

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

I don't know if small-medium businesses are the target of the cloud but I don't believe these companies are just throwing away money either.
You are correct. They have internally developed applications which can take great advantage of the scaling features and serverless services. If you applications are architected for a cloud environment, you can get a lot of value. If you are taking commercial, off the shelf software and putting it in the cloud, you are going to pay more. A lot more. And most small to medium sized businesses have heavy COTS workloads.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

fishmech posted:

Does Microsoft really need to make deals with themselves to use their own cloud servers?

You'd be surprised. My significant other works for IBM and she has to charge other departments at IBM for all sorts of poo poo and it hits her project budget. It's crazy.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

We've done the same sort of analysis and reached the same conclusions. Taking our existing environment full of legacy applications and running it in the cloud would make no sense at all. When we look at transforming some of those apps to take more advantage of scalable capacity, hosted container offerings, etc, then it's a whole different conversation. Then again, time spent doing that application work is time taken away from other development priorities.

My current goal is to stay current enough that I'm worth paying whatever platform we end up on.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

2012 DC refresh is finally happening :getin: 4 HPE Proliants, 84TB Nimble and a brand new VMware installation, gonna be nice! gently caress the butt

The administration is also looking at outsourcing networking entirely, roughly half of my team's job. I got pricing the other day and I could afford another 3 FTEs plus regular equipment replacement on what they'd charge each year, so I hope that isn't happening.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CloFan posted:

2012 DC refresh is finally happening :getin: 4 HPE Proliants, 84TB Nimble and a brand new VMware installation, gonna be nice! gently caress the butt

Cloud to butt continues to deliver in new and wonderful ways

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Iron Rose posted:

Cloud to butt continues to deliver in new and wonderful ways

Seems to have put butt there himself.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:wink:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

...he somehow parlayed this into a high-paying job managing teams at Facebook and left (so maybe jokes's on us?).
The part of this that really gets me is that Facebook almost never hires managers from outside the organization into management positions inside the organization without making them do IC work for a year first.

PBS posted:

Seems to have put butt there himself.
Yeah, the extension would have substituted "my butt", not "the butt"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

7 hour conference call. It was DNS.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

The part of this that really gets me is that Facebook almost never hires managers from outside the organization into management positions inside the organization without making them do IC work for a year first.

It was technically Instagram (post acquisition) if it matters. But yeah, I have no idea how he landed this gig because he was an objectively horrendous people manager and didn't have impressive IC credentials, either. He tries to poach us all from time to time and literally no one has bitten, which really says it all.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

An Enormous Boner posted:

What's bothering people about managing Macs? All of ours stay onsite and don't have any especially crazy software requirements, which is probably coloring my senses. Configuration profiles, DeployStudio and munki plus related tools make most things straightforward.

Printer management is total dog poo poo though. I guess the whole thing could suck really bad if you had someone who needed a bunch of poo poo that refused to install in the user's context or needed kernel extensions etc. or if they were remoting often.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

If any of you Microsoft shop/ITSM/Support guys want to make a switch to a vendor, my company is recruiting in Boston (Customer Success Management, Professional Services and Technical Account Managers). We're a relatively small company planning to IPO in 2020, but we've got very good growth and from my experience salaries are good. Hit me up on PMs if interested for more information.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I was out shopping at a major national store and overheard a problem where handheld scanners weren't connecting via Bluetooth to their zebra printers for clearance labels or whatever.

The friendly helpful person in me wanted to help, but I though of this thread and said to myself, "gently caress printers."
Thanks thread. Thread

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
how do y'all quantify stuff for your resume that is more technical in nature? I am updating my resume and I have some great projects that I can be like "Implemented and deployed mobile weight tracking for pallets, saving the company over 250k/yr in freight costs" but also stuff like "Oversaw migration of 30 servers from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2016" which doesn't have quite as quantifiable a value. I know having numbers on my resume is great but I am struggling how to tie numbers into things like that. Is it useful to even tie numbers to that?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If the server number is low, you could put the number of users that were affected by the upgrade instead. It's kind of a grey area, because how can you tie a server upgrade to a dollar amount or hours gained in productivity?

Oh I know, mention that the server upgrades were under budget or finished early. That really ties into project management acumen.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Did you do anything special in that process? Ensure zero application downtime through failover, improve the process and save x fte-hours, anything like that? If you did anything more than follow a standard upgrade process that someone else gave you, try to quantify the way your specific work helped the company.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Price difference between a support contract for Server 2003 and Server 2016 is a pretty easy way to quantify that.

IIRC, Server 2003 support requires a custom support contract, which is roughly $Alaska.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DelphiAegis posted:

I was out shopping at a major national store and overheard a problem where handheld scanners weren't connecting via Bluetooth to their zebra printers for clearance labels or whatever.

The friendly helpful person in me wanted to help, but I though of this thread and said to myself, "gently caress printers."
Thanks thread. Thread

And of all printers, Zebra label printers are the worst. They have almost literally no competition in their usage space, so they just keep making the same poo poo printer with the same poo poo firmware forever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Darchangel posted:

And of all printers, Zebra label printers are the worst. They have almost literally no competition in their usage space, so they just keep making the same poo poo printer with the same poo poo firmware forever.

We pay $10/mo per zebra printer for maintenance. They come out once a month for a cleaning and if one breaks, they come out for free and repair it for free. Best drat money ever spent.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Darchangel posted:

Good lord I hated having to lug out a 50 pound ZM400 replacement across half the plant floor. You'd think the printers would get smaller over time but they still produce these big, heavy boat anchors.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The best part about Zebra printers is how the Seagull driver is way better than the one Zebra makes themselves

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

The best part about Zebra printers is how the Seagull driver is way better than the one Zebra makes themselves

That's specifically why we use Bartender as our labeling program.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have some label printing horror stories if anybody is interested. It mostly involves a system held together with tape and popsicle sticks.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
We had a Zebra at a coffee factory I used to work at, back in the late 90's. That bastard was a tank, especially considering how super-fine dust was being generated in that place more or less constantly.

It was like 20 years ago but I bet that label station is still there and probably still running Windows 95. Also, I bet my old boss is probably still drunk

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks but there has been enough chat about Zebra, Seagull, and BarTender to keep me up the rest of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kashuno posted:

Thanks but there has been enough chat about Zebra, Seagull, and BarTender to keep me up the rest of the week