Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

N-no.... baka....

##vote toalpaz

y would u vote yourself.............##vote toalpaz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i know that other guy just did and was human but...

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Rhjamiz posted:

This is a pretty chill game (because of all the snow).

Is it safe to toast marshmallows over a burning monster corpse? ##vote toalpaz

Tho gently caress if I can figure out a good testing strategy. Should we re-test DB? How likely is it the monsters would try to recruit a cleared dude?

I was thinking just that actually, it would be interesting to go throughout the whole game testing one person, we also don' t know the priority of the recruit/kill too right?

So who knows if we killed a fresh and innocent acting RF or scum RF.

It only matters to me cause I'd like to develop opinions on people's play styles but cults make it hard.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Getting cleared early is a sure fire way to survive the game, cult or no cult. People would always find it difficult to waste a shot clearing someone again later because people think they flipped later on/or vigging someone who was cleared early over someone who's playing scummy.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

there really isn't a good testing strategy that doesn't devolve into WIFOM but you guys do you

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

why do you care more about surviving than killing aliens

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

redneck nazgul posted:

there really isn't a good testing strategy that doesn't devolve into WIFOM but you guys do you

yeah, basically this

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

Getting cleared early is a sure fire way to survive the game, cult or no cult. People would always find it difficult to waste a shot clearing someone again later because people think they flipped later on/or vigging someone who was cleared early over someone who's playing scummy.

Toalpaz posted:

yeah, basically this

pretty sure you're contradicting yourself here, chief

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

redneck nazgul posted:

pretty sure you're contradicting yourself here, chief

The fact that there are multiple motivations for any statement makes it wifom.

I could have said that to stop the vote on me as scum or I could have said that as town hedging to be culted later earnestly or I could have said that as town making an observation about the kinds of plays available.

As town as a whole I don't think that there are good strategies beyond testing scummy people I suppose.

The motivation of not being tested as town is that hitting a thing creature = a sure kill at night, getting tested and being proven town yourself just equals increasing the odds slightly of hitting scum that night.

The motivation of not being tested as scum = if you are, town would surely kill you.

However, if people play poorly on purpose in hopes of getting tested and being cleared and getting culted later. Well. It makes it hard to town to win, and it's clearly a personal motivation.

We already threw away our chance of having the perfect game. So lol, I'm just having fun. Because alignments change, personal goals can supersede correct 'town' strategy, further mucking up any ability to determine motivation. Thats what I'm thinking.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Basically if you're town, and trying to play town all the way through, try not to waste your votes.

Jumping on someone before everyone has had the chance to act scummy or not is more than likely scum or people who plan on throwing's motivation.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Toalpaz posted:

Basically if you're town, and trying to play town all the way through, try not to waste your votes.

Jumping on someone before everyone has had the chance to act scummy or not is more than likely scum or people who plan on throwing's motivation.

This is contingent upon someone "acting scummy" and us kind of collectively going, "ho hum! that was scummy", which if you think about it... we kind of have already done, I think what you're speaking to is like slapping us on the wrist for playing the game the way it is normally played

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Rhjamiz posted:

Tho gently caress if I can figure out a good testing strategy. Should we re-test DB? How likely is it the monsters would try to recruit a cleared dude?

Yeah I was thinking the same.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Lol, just offering my opinion AA, do whatever you want to do. I'm sure not everyone has the exact same understanding of the game as I do, and I'm just sharing it with people to see what they think.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

everyone here is too much of a b*tch to recruit the just cleared guy. arent we statistically more likely to catch evil if we hunt for original bad guy.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

how do we know rf wasnt infected last night?..

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I feel like maybe you can try to find the original people but otherwise I can't really see the strategy in this game. It feels pretty random.

Re-testing an already tested person feels like a bit of a waste for now since at least with everyone else you have the possibility they were the original person + chance they were recruited, but retesting is just chance they were recruited.

Basically it's a higher chance to test someone new to find the original.

Of course now that I say this, it's no longer true as of tonight because the aliens know this and the chance is no longer random.

But all this to say: I won't vote DB today. Maybe tomorrow.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

everyone here is too much of a b*tch to recruit the just cleared guy. arent we statistically more likely to catch evil if we hunt for original bad guy.

f u gulag stealing my post

##vote gulag

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Rhjamiz posted:

i did not get infected last night

also, if the vig (however unlikely) kills infected every night theoretically there will always be at least one infected.... right?

maf edit: i see this has been addressed but it still feel like this game is unwinnable....?

GulagDolls posted:

you have to either immediately kill creature day 1 or vig/lynch correctly in tandem multiple times [impossible for town to win[all cpig games lol]]

GulagDolls posted:

that said, i wi ll play. i have a sekrit plan

if your secret plan is get infected then please infect me too tia

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

drat...what should i bring to db's funeral

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
lol I'm an idiot and only just realized that testing the blood wasn't bludgeoning a person to death and waiting to see if their corpse changed into something grotesque.

I didn't realize DB was still alive. Whoops. Should read .

:v:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Toalpaz posted:

I was thinking just that actually, it would be interesting to go throughout the whole game testing one person, we also don' t know the priority of the recruit/kill too right?

So who knows if we killed a fresh and innocent acting RF or scum RF.

It only matters to me cause I'd like to develop opinions on people's play styles but cults make it hard.

the infected would just not infect the serial blood test subject and the uninfected would never know who the infected are I assume.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
CPig said he had some way to deal with that so :shrug:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

lol I'm an idiot and only just realized that testing the blood wasn't bludgeoning a person to death and waiting to see if their corpse changed into something grotesque.

:smith:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Lmao blah blah blah youve come unarmed

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
everyone thought i was gonna get bludged huh.... smh

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Toalpaz posted:

Lmao blah blah blah youve come unarmed

*looks at shoulder nubs*

"M-m-my feckin' arms?! Arrgghhhhyyeeeiiiuuuhh!"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Dick Bastardly posted:

I didn't vote for you, but also I can read so I knew you wouldn't die.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Dick Bastardly posted:

I knew your... Pure... Flesh... Was yet still filled with life.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Toalpaz posted:

I knew your... Pure... Flesh... Was yet still filled with life.

Toalpaz with their 3rd scum claim of the game. :golfclap:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Thinking out loud here:

If there's motivation for the infected to not get night killed, so they can stay in the game, then maybe they might be willing to bus their fellow things.

However, because people are suggesting we keep moving onto testing new people as opposed to repeating, that means their turn may come up sooner than later regardless of how they play, so what's the point in them doing that?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asiina posted:

I didn't vote for you, but also I can read so I knew you wouldn't die.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Folks the things dont know each other other than who they pick to turn. Right? That's what it says I OP. Right?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

Folks the things dont know each other other than who they pick to turn. Right? That's what it says I OP. Right?

Woops I'm wrong. So they can't communicate but know who they are.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

The infected will know who the other infected players are but will not have any out of thread communication.

Like it's right there, my dude.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i TOTALLY dont know how being evil works :smugmrgw:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

So there's no coordination, no strategy, but awareness.

Would they bus their bud or hard ignore them (safety in numbers) etc etc

Whatever they do because everything is wifom at the moment, I can't see how we would pick up on 'scummy behaviours'.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

GulagDolls posted:

i TOTALLY dont know how being evil works :smugmrgw:

Said the most evil, the prime evil

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Okay I don't know enough of the meta of rf and past games, is there any super obvious candidate for the n0 monster who would recruit retro futurist?

Doesn't matter if it was a night 1 recruit either, really.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Eg if gaspy were here and flipped infected I'm sure you'd all be looking at me and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, I just realized something, Hal got the gun so he's uninfected.

Maybe this is how we figure it out?

• Locked thread