Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Shangs outfit looks comfy as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thunderbolt Fashion-y

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Am I alone in kind of rooting for the Princess of Cruelty a little? She may be a ruthless killer, but she's so massively out of her depth and so painfully aware of it that it's oddly endearing. Like when she stole that ludicrously powerful sword that brainwashes its owner and immediately went 'whoa, holy poo poo, I don't want any of that'. I mean, she's probably going to get steamrolled by someone, and it'll probably be her fault, but it'd be kind of fun if her talk-therapy with the creepy priest dude pays off and she takes a more constructive course in life.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like her just because she'd be a pitiful Team Rocket rear end villain in any other show but she actually has a few brain cells to rub together and is proving to be a decent threat in spite of being outmatched pretty badly

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Poor Shang. Kind of expected, but still amusing that the reason everyone from Xī Yōu is free to chase after him now is because he made the Wasteland of Spirits safer in his crossing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Inspector Vape Wizard continues to be my favorite character.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I thought about it a bit and realised that I also like her, because she has, so far, displayed the same specific trait that I normally like the most in a hero: determination and pursuit of a goal despite hardship, personal suffering, and in particular despite a lack of inherent aptitude or power.

also in a show where everyone has cool hair, she has the second-coolest.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's Inspector Vape Wizard (No Relation) to you, please.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Princess of Cruelty is kinda getting interesting??? She had a cool gimmick - weaker, but extremely resourceful villain -, but character-wise, she was just the generic haughty anime lady oh-ho-hoing their way through everything. All she's missing is an obsession with beauty. But the fact that she genuinely struggles, and her short dialogue with the monk, indicate there's a lot more going on.

You go, Princess of Cruelty :shobon: Go escape cliched anime villain hell and fulfill your dreams! Be the ruthless poison mass murderess we know you can be!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

Princess of Cruelty is kinda getting interesting??? She had a cool gimmick - weaker, but extremely resourceful villain -, but character-wise, she was just the generic haughty anime lady oh-ho-hoing their way through everything. All she's missing is an obsession with beauty. But the fact that she genuinely struggles, and her short dialogue with the monk, indicate there's a lot more going on.

You go, Princess of Cruelty :shobon: Go escape cliched anime villain hell and fulfill your dreams! Be the ruthless poison mass murderess we know you can be!

there have been hints of that from the start, where she actually chose to cut and run instead of keep fighting a losing battle and dying as a monster of the week

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

She's also the only female character so far this season so she'll probably continue to stick around.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm also looking forward to it being Xiao rather than Xie who gets his brain eaten by Not-Soul Edge. He's got the colour-coordinated outfit, his name means 'Roaring Maniac', and he's gone on suspiciously long about how the Sword Index doesn't matter to him, honest.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I like how Shang's previously unbelievable feat of crossing the wasteland ended up not being diminished by others replicating it, because he actually blazed the trail that made it easier for anybody else to do so. Turns out he's a bit too badass for his own good. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The episode title gave me a chuckle, too. They are really not being subtle about this whole thing Lin and Shang have going on.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

shang rules.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alpha3KV posted:

I like how Shang's previously unbelievable feat of crossing the wasteland ended up not being diminished by others replicating it, because he actually blazed the trail that made it easier for anybody else to do so. Turns out he's a bit too badass for his own good. :v:

that's the story of his life

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"You're useful, therefore you're my friend."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

The episode title gave me a chuckle, too. They are really not being subtle about this whole thing Lin and Shang have going on.

shang is like the closest thing to an actual friend lin has, which is pretty sad

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shang's type of character, the enlightened super badass that with wisdom has chosen to live without violence if possible, is not that original if you think about, only in anime/manga we have examples like the mcs of Trigun or Rurouni Kenshin, just from top of my head. And I'm sure there are more.
But in the end it doesn't really matter, the writer makes him charming and unique. I think the key is how relatable he is. He isn't a simple noble warrior. He is sometimes awkward, other times cranky, sometimes he is exasperated by his companions in the same way that any normal person would feel, other times he is at the mercy of events out of his control. He feels very human... and then he kills a fool with a wooden stick, or another heroic past from his past is discovered, and we bask in his awesomeness.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Shang's an interesting take on his archetype both because of the setting he's in and the metacommentary he provides on it (Wuxia is pretty formulaic and full of fightingdeathsmans) and because he takes an enlightened/realistic stance on his morality.

Also he freely admits to being a slob about it, using plain language and a frank opinion to express himself rather than dressing it up in high language.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

EponymousMrYar posted:

Shang's an interesting take on his archetype both because of the setting he's in and the metacommentary he provides on it (Wuxia is pretty formulaic and full of fightingdeathsmans) and because he takes an enlightened/realistic stance on his morality.

Also he freely admits to being a slob about it, using plain language and a frank opinion to express himself rather than dressing it up in high language.

This is one of my favorite aspects of his character.

Any smart person would have kept quiet when Gale was describing how all that stuff went down in the Wasteland but Shou Fu Kan is honest to a fault and I was laughing so hard at his stammering about "uhhhh yeah I didn't want to kill that dragon I just wanted it to leave me alone so I cut off a wing and uhhh yeah I didn't want to wipe out an entire village of cannibals I just tried to scare them but they all tried to kill me soooooo..."

It is absolutely hilarious that he single-handedly carved a path for others through the Wasteland just because he was in a hurry and needed to get away from Seiyuu quickly. Urobuchi is such an awesome writer.

Even better is how Gale is going out of his way to make Shou Fu Kan owes him a favor. This is going to be brutal.

Oh and yes Princess of Cruelty is totally being set up for a sympathetic tragedy death. She's going to get so mad that she can't beat anyone and will succumb to the Seven Blasphemous Deaths out of frustration and it will ruin her.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 22, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Any smart person would have kept quiet when Gale was describing how all that stuff went down in the Wasteland but Shou Fu Kan is honest to a fault and I was laughing so hard at his stammering about "uhhhh yeah I didn't want to kill that dragon I just wanted it to leave me alone so I cut off a wing and uhhh yeah I didn't want to wipe out an entire village of cannibals I just tried to scare them but they all tried to kill me soooooo..."

It is absolutely hilarious that he single-handedly carved a path for others through the Wasteland just because he was in a hurry and needed to get away from Seiyuu quickly. Urobuchi is such an awesome writer.

Even better is how Gale is going out of his way to make Shou Fu Kan owes him a favor. This is going to be brutal.

Oh and yes Princess of Cruelty is totally being set up for a sympathetic tragedy death. She's going to get so mad that she can't beat anyone and will succumb to the Seven Blasphemous Deaths out of frustration and it will ruin her.

I mean, I'd normally think that, but she's being set up alongside a dumber, cockier, and less sympathetic villain with a suspiciously fitting colour scheme and name. It would be kind of hilarious if she exits the series by chucking the Seven Blasphemous Deaths handle-first at Xiao and running for the hills. Especially because Lin would then get mad that he didn't get to own the dude.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I want the Aoi Yuki sword to actually not be that evil and make friends with the princess of cruelty

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

the whole reason he invented his edgeless blade style was because, with a real sword, not killing people was a pain in the rear end. it's great

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wanna see Princess Cruelty keep escaping death at the hands of all of these clearly vastly superior fighters she keeps throwing down with, partly because she's the only female character, and partly because she's the only obvious underdog in the equation.

I hope she doesn't fall back on the Aoi Yuuki sword because that'll probably be the end for her, and also because if she does and dies, it'll probably end up with the monk getting the sword. And that would be a bit too on-the-nose of a shoutout for me.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I haven't been paying attention to the tones, so I'm going to assume Shang's home country is called "Grapefruit".

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I always think its called voice actor

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, I watched all of S2 so far today and it feels weird not having the rest of the gang around.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I always think its called voice actor

lol

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, I watched all of S2 so far today and it feels weird not having the rest of the gang around.

everyone else is either dead or preoccupied with guarding the sword that banishes things into space

e: or IN space, which i guess is technically guarding the sword from the other side

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 23, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Yinlock posted:

the whole reason he invented his edgeless blade style was because, with a real sword, not killing people was a pain in the rear end. it's great

Also because he's a self-admitted lazy slob. I still love the scene where he talks about the benefits of a wooden sword vs iron or steel. It doesn't rust, it's low maintenance, it's lightweight, etc. :effort:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yea at the end of this episode I said out loud "she dies next episode".

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

No one except me cares about the implication of there being Buddhists in this fantasy setting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This entire series began with a Buddha statue, so there's precedent.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Dzhay posted:

No one except me cares about the implication of there being Buddhists in this fantasy setting.

I sort of am too but idk enough about Buddhism to have a meaningful conversation about it.

:justpost:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's just China with magic so of course there's buddhists.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
It's just like how in some western fantasy settings there's a very vaguely described ubiquitous religion that's clearly equivalent in tone and social function to Christianity in medieval Europe (or at least, popular understanding of medieval Europe) and also has crucifix-shaped holy symbols and gothic cathedrals and priests who wear cassocks and is possibly literally called "the Church" or something similar.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

This is the single flaw of S2. Not that the old gang isn't around, but the fact there are less character in the group. I feel there were better group dynamics and more banter as there were more people.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
You can tell they're slowly building a new gang. It just wasn't formed by the 3rd or 4th episode like S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I like the new priest guy. He’s interesting to me in that he will lay down his life if someone provides a good enough reason for it. At first, I thought he might’ve been doing it as a ruse to those Yong Qi, but now that he did the same with the Princess of Cruelty, I don’t think it’s a trick. He’s a wildcard right now.