Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Oh I like Doki's Start and it's ending is great I just don't like the middle and think it really mishandled Regina and Ace (Should of had them both be Ace or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I think Regina has to grow up a hell of a lot more before she can become a Precure, honestly. She doesn't really start to become a complete "person" until the end when she knows who she is. Even when the series is ending, she's ruled by her impulses and defining herself by how other people see her.

So I'm not sure what I would have had her do for the middle of the series if she didn't get brainwashed. Just having her around sounds like it'd upset the group dynamic far too much because she's a creature of extremes, and doesn't really let herself not be the center of attention.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Even if you ignore Regena, who was a far more interest character in most fan's eyes, Ace still has the cardinal sins of A: Never being introduced or even hinted at prior to showing up out of left field in the middle of a fight, B: being one of the few 6th rangers in the series who actively made the show less entertaining then it was before she showed up, and C: Having her transformation sequence/attacks that were lamer than the rest of the cast's.

I enjoyed the second half of Doki Doki, but it was definitely in spite of Cure Ace rather than because of her.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 22, 2018

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Vorpal Cat posted:

Even if you ignore Regena, who was a far more interest character in most fan's eyes, Ace still has the cardinal sins of A: Never being introduced or even hinted at prior to showing up out of left field in the middle of a fight, B: being one of the few 6th rangers in the series who actively made the show less entertaining then it was before she showed up, and C: Having her transformation sequence/attacks that were lamer than the rest of the cast's.

I enjoyed the second half of Doki Doki, but it was definitely in spite of Cure Ace rather than because of her.

I'm not a fan of Aguri either, but dang yo, are you actually talking smack on Cure Ace's henshin sequence and attacks? They're the best animated, most stylistic, and creative stuff in the show!!! Aguri sucks, but her stock footage is so cool looking! The cut where Aguri catches the stylus, her rotating silhouette turning into Cure Ace, the flames forming her dress. The whole usage of silhouettes and clever angles in her attacks is amazing too. It owns!

Doki Doki has very bland, forgettable henshins and attacks besides Ace's too.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 22, 2018

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I'm not a fan of Aguri either, but dang yo, are you actually talking smack on Cure Ace's henshin sequence and attacks? They're the best animated, most stylistic, and creative stuff in the show!!! Aguri sucks, but her stock footage is so cool looking! The cut where Aguri catches the stylus, her rotating silhouette turning into Cure Ace, the flames forming her dress. The whole usage of silhouettes and clever angles in her attacks is amazing too. It owns!

Doki Doki has very bland, forgettable henshins and attacks besides Ace's too.

Complaint retracted, it's been a little bit since I watched doki doki and I think I was mentally comparing her to awesome Cures like Scarlet and Moonlight instead of others within her own series. I think it was her drat lipstick attack that turned me and made me forget the rest of her aesthetic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I just can’t picture the series without Ace. So often the sixth comes in and it typically causes the removal of tension on the team, and that would have not really fit what was going to happen. Regina would have defended Ira along with Rikka, because he’s basically in the same situation as her. What is Rikka going to show her resolve by standing up to; episodes like that that depend on Ace being of a different mind from the others in the team on serious moral questions like that would have no conflict whatsoever. Mana and Alice aren’t going to go against Rikka because she’s their oldest friend, and Makoto taking the lead on that would ring false because she already went with that with Regina.

The same holds true of the end conflict, which is drat important and crucial to the whole larger theme of being able to let go of things even if you love them, that sacrificing what exists now to live in the past would just repeat the cycle that created King Selfishness. Aguri is simultaneously old and young, mature and immature, and she’s wrong about just as much as she’s right. Regina is ultimately a much more simple person who acts purely by what makes her feel good or her instincts, so she’s not really the sort to present the kind of challenge that the group runs into in the final act - do Regina and Aguri have to disappear and is it worth Aguri doing this awful thing even if she thinks it’s for the greater good?

And that’s not even getting into the fact that you can’t do the whole “Marie Ange can’t come back because now two people” if she’s not, you know, two people.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

I just can’t picture the series without Ace. So often the sixth comes in and it typically causes the removal of tension on the team, and that would have not really fit what was going to happen. Regina would have defended Ira along with Rikka, because he’s basically in the same situation as her. What is Rikka going to show her resolve by standing up to; episodes like that that depend on Ace being of a different mind from the others in the team on serious moral questions like that would have no conflict whatsoever. Mana and Alice aren’t going to go against Rikka because she’s their oldest friend, and Makoto taking the lead on that would ring false because she already went with that with Regina.

The same holds true of the end conflict, which is drat important and crucial to the whole larger theme of being able to let go of things even if you love them, that sacrificing what exists now to live in the past would just repeat the cycle that created King Selfishness. Aguri is simultaneously old and young, mature and immature, and she’s wrong about just as much as she’s right. Regina is ultimately a much more simple person who acts purely by what makes her feel good or her instincts, so she’s not really the sort to present the kind of challenge that the group runs into in the final act - do Regina and Aguri have to disappear and is it worth Aguri doing this awful thing even if she thinks it’s for the greater good?

And that’s not even getting into the fact that you can’t do the whole “Marie Ange can’t come back because now two people” if she’s not, you know, two people.

I don't people are saying you should drop Ace entirely, just that the whole arc was handled in the worst way possible. Some ways to improve it just off the top of my head:

A) Introduce Aguri before she becomes Cure Ace, this would give the mystery of cure Ace's secret identity some better pay off if is a character the audience already knows, and let them foreshadow the Ace/Regina rivalry if she was introduced while Regina was still a villain.

B) Cut the Regena mind control plot, as you said there's dozens of reasons why she wouldn't be ready to join the team so there's no reason to undo her entire character arc up to that point. Considering she basically dosn't exist in the show in between Cure Ace's introduction and the quest for Marie Ange's spear you could completely rewrite what shes doing in between without changing the shows ending. You have plenty of room to add some built up to the conflict between Ace and Regina as well as some time to slowly escalate Regina's internal conflict between her love for Mana and her love for her Father.

C) Give Aguri more personality than shy girl with trust issues. She's supposed to be the reincarnation of all of the princesses selfless and self sacrificing desires she should actuly act like it beyond just wanting to destroy Regina at any cost.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I can agree with the “Aguri could have been shown earlier” thing to a degree, but I also think they were really attached to the idea of going “Yoink!” re: the “oh it’s just gonna be Setsuna again.” So her coming out of nowhere isn’t completely meritless in my eyes.

But re: everything else; I don’t agree that Regina’s second arc is about “repeating” Regina’s character development. It’s about getting the other characters to have a reason to want to save her because, like, Regina’s first storyarc is about her relationship with Mana. After she returns? We get stories about Makoto wanting to try and reach out to her with a song, Alice facing her one on one, and Rikka... in her episode when she’s trying to get Regina to admit she loves Mana, it’s not about making Regina do what she did over a dozen episodes before, it’s about Rikka getting over her hang ups that have weighed her down the entire series: her jealousy and her feeling like she has to step aside so Mana can live her life instead of being at her side like she wants to be.

As for Aguri herself, I dunno. Regina and Aguri aren’t Dark Precure and Yuri. Aside from their origin they’re both actually very different people; and why shouldn’t they be? They started without any memories because they’re a brand new existence. The fact that they’re distant from each other until the reveal happens is another thing that struck me as part of the point, cuz like... Regina isn’t special to Aguri yet. She’s a matter of duty, another selfishness to deal with, just like when she’s ready to put down Ira.

That’s the recurring thing with Aguri. She’s a young girl so she can’t help herself sometimes, like her sweets obsession, but she defines herself based on what she thinks she needs to be, like the rules of being a Precure, or a proper lady, or whatever else. She denies herself friendships with her classmates, and only really gets the push to befriend someone because of the others’ influence. Aguri’s “shy and tsundere” because her life just started, and the influence of Ange’s “positive side” affects her daily life and how she puts everyone at a distance and focuses primarily on being a Precure rather than something overt like her going on about justice and stuff.

That’s how I saw the character at least. I can leave it there if you all prefer. I just wanted to respond and clarify why I was fine with the character and the direction they took things in.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 22, 2018

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Larryb posted:

Futari Wa is still probably one of my favorite seasons but they're all decent in their own ways (with the possible exception of Happiness Charge). The current season Hugtto is also far better than it would appear to be at first glance (it does take a few episodes to really get going though).

I think I'll watch all of FW and then slowly make my way through the rest of the shows at a leisurely pace. Is the popularity poll Endorph posted a roughly decent order to watch them in?

I'm still not that far in but I already miss Pisard as a villain. He was cool because he hammed it up hard.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Just pick the one that conceptually sounds interesting to you or the latest one. There's pros and cons to each series, even the less good ones like happiness charge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Luceid posted:

I think I'll watch all of FW and then slowly make my way through the rest of the shows at a leisurely pace. Is the popularity poll Endorph posted a roughly decent order to watch them in?

IMO, just watch the ones that have artstyles that appeal to you, or general tones. If you want a quick overview:

Futari Wa: A little long, has a great core dynamic, only two main characters, paced a bit more like a shonen series in terms of how its villains get defeated in relatively short order and new threats keep emerging.

Futari wa Max Heart: Direct sequel to Futari Wa, introduces a third cure, new character is a little bland but at least has an interesting role on the team and doesn't overshadow the original two.

Futari wa Splash Star: Kind of a weird retread of Futari Wa. Haven't watched much of this one, so I can't give a super informed opinion. Any Splash Star stans in the house tonight?

Yes Pretty Cure 5: First precure series to have a core team of five, kind of ugly character designs imo, some fairly stiff action animation, but the character dynamics are executed pretty well and Karen is one of the better 'smart girl' type cures, IMO.

Yes Pretty Cure 5 GoGo: Direct sequel to 5, introduces a sixth ranger who isn't handled very well and whose introduction is mostly treated as a joke and some people find annoying, since she has a very bratty personality. She gets some decent dramatic material later, but as the 'new element' for the season she kind of eats up too much focus. It also has the problem of dragging out the series a bit too much. Plus the show actually looks a bit cheaper in some ways.

Fresh: Pretty Cure 5 GoGo did poorly enough that they were considering not doing another series after this, at least for a bit, so as a result this looks very cheap a lot of the time, kind of muted colors and characters go off model a fair amount. But the character writing is super strong, with what's often considered the best 'sixth ranger' type character and also one of the best mascots in the series since he's a little like a deadbeat uncle more than any kind of cutesy mascot, and some of the episodes do look legitimately nice, especially later on. My personal favorite.

Heartcatch: Far and away the most distinctive artstyle of any of the seasons. Some people absolutely adore the artstyle, some people dislike it.
Personally, I think it looks great. Probably one of the more action orientated series, and also one with more darker plot elements. Not an excessive amount, but it's closer to Sailor Moon than how bubbly a lot of other PreCure seasons are, there's a bit of drama. Dark is probably the best 'rival' character in the series, imo, and the action is frequently eyecatching. Some people find the leads a little bland, though, or think Cure Moonlight basically overtakes the plot once she becomes a lead character.

Suite: Looks very nice, IMO. Has a bit of interesting mystery in terms of its two additional cures added in as the series goes on, and it paces those well, so I'd say thats its strongest suit, there's a legitimate sense of the cast expanding and characters relationship with each other changing as the new cures join, versus a lot of seasons where they just kinda appear and everyone goes 'okay.' Its villains are frequently goofy and team rocket-esque, and it uses the 'they were BRAINWASHED' device a ton, possibly as an excuse for having such non-threatening villains. Some of the character dynamics are pretty well done, and Siren's a really solid character, but it's not really one that sticks out in a lot of people's minds.

Smile: Another season with a core team of five that exist basically from the start. The group dynamic is decently handled and I really like the character designs, but some characters are definitely picking up more slack than others. This is another one I haven't watched a ton of, but people seem to generally like it.

Doki Doki!: Well, we just had a giant discussion about it in this thread. I basically agree that the start is good and the ending is great, but the middle portion feels like spinning its wheels and some characters go through a lot of development only to have the rug pulled out from under them.

Happiness Charge: Also another one we just discussed! People have gone over its flaws, so in terms of strengths, uh, it has a kind of soft, pleasing artstyle and a few of the scenes do look legit stunning.

Go! Princess: It looks great 90% of the time, the core cast is really strong, it has some really solid action, characters develop in really nice ways, the sixth ranger is the best one since Fresh IMO, and it's frequently hilarious. In terms of flaws, I'd say it's clear they wanted to have the big mid-season climax happen exactly midway through the season, so that leads to some stalling directly before it and a few episodes after it, but 'random monster of the week episodes' is hardly a problem unique to this season. There's a reason a lot of people consider this one of the best. Cure Twinkle rules.

Mahou Tsukai: The core appeal here is the relationship between the two leads, how they bounce off and learn to adjust to one another. It's a very strong relationship, and it has plenty of payoffs throughout the season, including what is probably one of the best endings in the franchise. It's not exactly a 'showstopper' kind of season though, a lot of what it does is pretty by the book and it relies on its characters to keep things going. Also benefits from having one of the best movies.

Kira Kira: Around this time a lot of Toei's best action animators were busy with Dragon Ball Super, so what you get here is a series that leans hard into comedy and never really lets up. Episodes include actual real life cooking tutorials, and there's lots of episodes, especially early on, that are basically just extended gags more than anything. However, the characters are charming and likable and the comedy mostly lands, so it's a pretty breezy watch, and it does pull some pretty good dramatic material out of the characters and how they relate to each other. It's really good at what it's trying to be, but it is in a pretty different direction than something like Heartcatch

Hugtto: Currently airing. IMO, it's a decent series elevated to greatness by Emiru and Ruru, who steal the show from the moment they're introduced and encapsulate some of the best writing the franchise has ever seen, both comedy and drama wise. Also since Super was over, a bunch of Toei animators basically felt like showing off, so some episodes are just straight-up movie level animation, or get around TV animation constraints in very wonderful ways. Good comedy too, and some decent messages about hardwork and parenting and all, and the villains have really great, eyecatching iconography/direction in their scenes. That said the early portions are pretty monster of the week-y and it kind of slid into a holding pattern after all the Emiru and Ruru drama was resolved, and currently it's in the middle of a big nostalgia baiting fest due to it being an anniversary series. It's still a very strong series, but unless the ending is incredible I think it'd be below Fresh and GoPri for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
also to contribute to the discussion about it, I'd have been fine with Regina not being Cure Ace or even not becoming a cure if they actually continued with her development instead of basically resetting it. 'She wants to be a good person but is having difficulty getting to that point' is a much more compelling character than 'she wants to be a good person but mind control'

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Endorph posted:

IMO, just watch the ones that have artstyles that appeal to you, or general tones. If you want a quick overview:

Fantastic summary, thank you.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair warning though, Smile starts to get very episodic once the core team is introduced (to the point where they kind of hit the reset button about midway through in order to keep the show going) still decent though. Futari Wa also could have been at least 10-20 episodes shorter than it was (there's a point about midway through where the girls actually confront and defeat the main villain in a fairly climactic battle....and then the show just keeps going from there) but it's still a fun ride overall and I can't really think of many characters from it I don't like. There's also almost no filler at all, with every episode tying directly into the previous one in some fashion.

I'm kind of curious if a live action Precure series in the vein of PGSM (albeit maybe with a slightly higher budget) could ever possibly work. An adaption of the original would probably be the safest bet in that regard honestly (the costumes/items wouldn't be that hard to reproduce and the fairies could be a mix of CGI and puppetry). You might have to age up the main characters a little bit but I think you could pull it off (especially if they did their own unique spin on things).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I feel like the best course of action for something like that would be just to make it its own spinoff, ___ precure or whatever

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

I feel like the best course of action for something like that would be just to make it its own spinoff, ___ precure or whatever

True, a brand new series would probably be better for something like that but I was just saying that if they did go the adaption route the original would probably be the easiest one to do all things considered (you'd probably have to make a few practical monster suits though as otherwise a good chunk of the series would be your two lead actresses fighting against a green screen). Yes! could also potentially work as the villains are basically just evil businessmen and the fairies spend most of their time in human form anyway.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 22, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
One thing to keep in mind is that Precure can be affected pretty strongly by the cycle of merchandise releases and some characters getting their role diminished depending upon how well their merchandise does. It happens to yellow Cures fairly often, though Kirara, Homare, and Yayoi are notable exceptions. In the latter’s case, it caused her focus to shift from how shy and insecure she was to how much of an audience proxy she was.

That’s not to say other yellows are totally left out though. Alice, Itsuki, and Inori have some great focus episodes even if they don’t get the lion’s share.

And sometimes it happens to you regardless of color. Poor Kanade went from basically being the second lead to Hibiki’s other half because Rhythm’s merchandise was superfluous to Melody’s. She never fades into the background, but their relationship stops being the focus and she’s very strapped for attention once Ellen joins the team.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 22, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Endorph posted:

Futari wa Splash Star: Kind of a weird retread of Futari Wa. Haven't watched much of this one, so I can't give a super informed opinion. Any Splash Star stans in the house tonight?

Splash Star: Similar to Futari Wa in the overall character design/art department and several of the tropes (i.e. holding hands to transform and there being a duo dynamic.) It's the first Precure to set up what has become a Precure regular: the redemption arc characters, and although these characters never gain full Cure status and are absent for most of the middle of the show they are an absolute delight to watch when they do show up. Solid ending thanks to what I think is one of the better supervillains in the entire franchise (and a related plot twist), and the minor villains are a lot of fun if you like your villains hammy and over-the-top. Overall the show stands on its own, the two main characters are likeable if not as fleshed out as Nagisa/Honoka and the fairy mascots are criminally cute. Probably not the best season ever and the middle drags a bit but it has its moments and honestly is worth watching.

edit: forgot to mention: the catchiest theme song in the series

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 22, 2018

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that Precure can be affected pretty strongly by the cycle of merchandise releases and some characters getting their role diminished depending upon how well their merchandise does. It happens to yellow Cures fairly often, though Kirara, Homare, and Yayoi are notable exceptions. In the latter’s case, it caused her focus to shift from how shy and insecure she was to how much of an audience proxy she was.

That’s not to say other yellows are totally left out though. Alice, Itsuki, and Inori have some great focus episodes even if they don’t get the lion’s share.

And sometimes it happens to you regardless of color. Poor Kanade went from basically being the second lead to Hibiki’s other half because Rhythm’s merchandise was superfluous to Melody’s. She never fades into the background, but their relationship stops being the focus and she’s very strapped for attention once Ellen joins the team.

Let it never be forgotten that Alice saved the day multiple times through her true super power, being richer than Bruce Wayne. Also the only character in the series who decided to take advantage of the existence of a magical fantasy kingdom by having her family's company economically exploit it it. :capitalism:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I fully expect that Mana’s prime minister bid will be funded by the Yotsuba group.

Also please imagine a team of all the rich girl Precure. Alice, Karen, Reika, Itsuki, Minami, Aoi, and Emiru. Fighting evil by throwing money at it.

They just solve Hugtto in five minutes by buying out the Dark Tomorrow company.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 22, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So Star Twinkle Pretty Cure has been trademarked.

https://www.twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/1054389631456763905

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Kirara you can’t just make your own team.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting, I'm assuming for now it's constellation/zodiac themed and/or Pretty Cure in Space. Neither of which have been done before in this series to my knowledge so this could be interesting.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I had a friend point out that it could be star as in "stardom" like idols or something and the title would be a pun, but the logo is kind of giving me space vibes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

I had a friend point out that it could be star as in "stardom" like idols or something and the title would be a pun, but the logo is kind of giving me space vibes.

That might be the case too but I'm personally hoping for a space theme as that sounds more interesting. Also I have no idea how this would work exactly but I kind of want to see a crossover between Precure and Sentai (or Kamen Rider for that matter) one day. Apparently there was an audio drama released in Japan that featured a crossover between Dekaranger and Futari Wa and then later another between Magiranger and Max Heart but that's about it.

Off the subject but out of curiosity are there any decent Precure related podcasts out there?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 22, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Off the subject but out of curiosity are there any decent Precure related podcasts out there?

I went looking for one recently and only found one on youtube that hadn't been touched in years, so unless I missed something or a new one has popped up in the last month or two, I'm afraid there's not. :(

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I've found a couple good Sailor Moon ones out there but nothing for Precure for some reason (or nothing that hasn't been dead for a while at any rate), oh well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pink, green, yellow, purple on the shooting star logo so it might be another four girl season like hapcharge or fresh

itd be funny to have a season with a green but no blue, though the text itself has blue

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

pink, green, yellow, purple on the shooting star logo so it might be another four girl season like hapcharge or fresh

itd be funny to have a season with a green but no blue, though the text itself has blue

It could be possible our "sixth" (or beyond depending on how many additions to the cast there end up being) might end up being blue though but we'll see. I forget, ,would this be the first season without a Blue Cure (I think the original duo and the Splash Star girls are kind of considered to be honorary Pinks and Blues respectively despite their appearance and name)?

As for the show itself, I'm still hoping the name implies a space/constellation theme as opposed to an celebrity/idol based one (with the star in this case referring to "stardom"). Based on the logo the former seems more likely though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 23, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Larryb posted:

It could be possible our "sixth" (or beyond depending on how many additions to the cast there end up being) might end up being blue though but we'll see. I forget, ,would this be the first season without a Blue Cure (I think the original duo and the Splash Star girls are kind of considered to be honorary Pinks and Blues respectively despite their appearance and name)?

As for the show itself, I'm still hoping the name implies a space/constellation theme as opposed to an celebrity/idol based one (with the star in this case referring to "stardom"). Based on the logo the former seems more likely though.

It depends on whether you count Beat as a blue or a Purple.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I could see it being kind of a bluish green just because thats a common color in space

and yeah im hoping for a space themed show too. one of the girls just straight up wanting to be an astronaut or something, thatd rule. plus you could have villains based on classic sci-fi monsters/villains, aliens, frankenstein, a galactic empire, robots, stuff like that

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

(I think the original duo and the Splash Star girls are kind of considered to be honorary Pinks and Blues respectively despite their appearance and name)?

This probably changes depending on Toei's mood but in the Precure puzzle app all Cures are sorted by color and Cure White and Cure Egret are both considered white Cures, which is separate from blue Cures.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

This probably changes depending on Toei's mood but in the Precure puzzle app all Cures are sorted by color and Cure White and Cure Egret are both considered white Cures, which is separate from blue Cures.

Huh, I could have sworn Cure Black was officially considered a Pink at the very least (unless there have been other black cures since then I'm forgetting) and she does typically take point in battle more often than not. White and Egret have the same basic role as your average Blue at any rate.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 23, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Black is considered a pink. Pikestaff was only talking about White and Egret.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Black is considered a pink. Pikestaff was only talking about White and Egret.

Yeah that makes sense, though they technically fill the typical Blue role they're both still white and I don't think there's been a black Cure in the series since Nagisa (that I can remember anyway). For that matter I don't think there's been many white Cures in the series either, they should bring those colors back one day.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Larryb posted:

Yeah that makes sense, though they technically fill the typical Blue role they're both still white and I don't think there's been a black Cure in the series since Nagisa (that I can remember anyway). For that matter I don't think there's been many white Cures in the series either, they should bring those colors back one day.

Magical is either black or purple, I don't remember.

That reminds me, Maho didn't have a Blue Cure outside of the form changes.

The last White Cure, if I remember right, is Rhythm, and I already talked about how well her merch sold. So don't expect more Whites.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Since we're having the color discussion, just for curiosity's sake I went through the characters in the app and they are color-coded like this:

Pink Cures:
Cure Black
Cure Bloom
Cure Dream
Cure Peach
Cure Blossom
Cure Melody
Cure Happy
Cure Heart
Cure Lovely
Cure Flora
Cure Miracle
Cure Whip
Cure Yell

Red Cures:
Cure Rouge
Cure Passion
Cure Sunny
Cure Ace
Cure Scarlet
Cure Chocolat
Cure Macherie

Purple Cures:
Milky Rose
Cure Moonlight
Cure Sword
Cure Fortune
Cure Magical
Cure Macaron
Cure Amour

Yellow Cures:
Shiny Luminous
Cure Lemonade
Cure Pine
Cure Sunshine
Cure Muse
Cure Peace
Cure Rosetta
Cure Honey
Cure Twinkle
Cure Custard
Cure Etoile

Green Cures:
Cure Mint
Cure March
Cure Felice
Cure Parfait

Blue Cures:
Cure Aqua
Cure Berry
Cure Marine
Cure Beat
Cure Beauty
Cure Diamond
Cure Princess
Cure Mermaid
Cure Gelato
Cure Ange

White Cures:
Cure White
Cure Egret
Cure Rhythm

So pink is obviously the most popular color with 13, followed by yellow at 11, blue at 10, red and purple both tied at 7, green at 4 (and let's be real, only two of those are really green) and finally white with 3.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is kind of cool, someone on Pixiv has been doing Precure versions of various Kamen Riders. You can find more here(though you'll need an account to view the full gallery).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Which are the PreCures with purple haired girls.

I know KiraKira but there should be like one or two more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wait it's right there, nevermind.