Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

dmboogie posted:

this show was before my time so i had no idea what it actually was before i watched the video, but, holy poo poo. :catstare: even some of the "normal" sketches like the firing squad were absolutely surreal to see on a kid's show

im gonna have to check out the rest of the nick knacks series now, this stuff is fascinating

I sorta grew up with the show a bit later than when it was originally on - YTV (Canada's answer to Nick) had that show on regular rotation in the 90's as a way to keep Canadian content ratios up, or at the very least I wouldn't have watched that show until 1989 or so and I remember watching it and thinking "this show is obviously old, but I've never heard of it" when it did air here, or else I just missed the original run.

Thinking back, yeah, it pushed a lot more topics than anything now would, though I think some of that was the tendency of writers back then not having any concepts of "kids shouldn't say that", or even that being the whole joke. If you want some serious wtf, go back and look at the Mini Pops from the early 80's, which was basically Kidz Bop only not bothering to change any lyrics and make music videos a recreation of the original videos starring literal eight-year-old kids, and it took a while before there finally was a HOLY poo poo THAT IS NOT OKAY response.

Plus for a long time kids entertainment was seen as throwaway shows with zero oversight to fill time, so anyone willing to pump out content that people watched was ok. For more Canadian weirdness look up The Hilarious House of Frightenstein - they shot 130 episodes, 50-minutes each, in nine months.

But yeah, there was definitely some WTF creepy undercurrents to that show that I didn't pick up on then, much like everyone else. I'm relieved it doesn't go into full Jimmy Savile territory but that's really creepy. It's weird how that stuff you don't notice at the time but now it's screaming from the rooftops, but I guess video means you can put them all together and see the pattern easier.

Kim Justice posted:

account hacking?

Between this and the racism dog silly Twitter accounts are obviously serious business

I'm going to assume relationship/business split by two people and one person won the account as part of the package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay... it seems I've missed a lot from Indy Neidell. Not only have they started a World War 2 channel, but his team has also started a series about the interwar period.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Aj9mXivv8

The 20th Century is loving chaotic.
I really like the heater in the background, but I also have a deep scepticism for anybody who conspicuously displays a skull and can't finish their glass of whiskey by the time they're done talking.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
https://twitter.com/_Saeen_/status/1054137279986520064?s=19

Hmm. Finding myself having less tolerance for these enablers.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shoe's just another one of the cowards who might somewhere in their body have the scantest bit of human decency when the abject human suffering they're enabling finally gets ground right into their face, but only ever lets it barely come out before going back to pandering to cryptofascists, because that's where they've made their bed and being a selfish, empty clown of a human being for bigots is all they know anymore.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ash Crimson posted:

“Look, I just can’t see how my comfortable life could be affected by any of this. Now let’s talk about those crazy blm people who don’t understand that the police are harmless and would never kill me.”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ash Crimson posted:

“If this ‘jewish question’ is what it sounds like then some bad stuff might happen to some people. What even is the point of this? Now we’ll get to this week’s crazy cultural marxist fail compilation after this short break!”

Do you think any small part of her knows that she’s been enabling this, or is she actually too dumb to understand that she’s been feeding it every day for years?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

Repugnant woman who associates with many repugnant men found to be incredibly repugnant. New at 11.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Shoe's just another one of the cowards who might somewhere in their body have the scantest bit of human decency when the abject human suffering they're enabling finally gets ground right into their face, but only ever lets it barely come out before going back to pandering to cryptofascists, because that's where they've made their bed and being a selfish, empty clown of a human being for bigots is all they know anymore.

No clue whether it's an accurate assessment but from what I know about her, including the fact that she dropped in to gamergate "5 guys" IRCs to encourage them then leave, she seems like someone who intentionally prods drama trying to get it to manifest for her amusement.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CYBEReris posted:

No clue whether it's an accurate assessment but from what I know about her, including the fact that she dropped in to gamergate "5 guys" IRCs to encourage them then leave, she seems like someone who intentionally prods drama trying to get it to manifest for her amusement.

She really is just a fundamentally awful person, isn’t she? Her and ArmouredSkeptic really do deserve one another.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Though apparently it's okay guise, she's aware she was bring dumb and might actually do something positive going forward!!! Don't you know people change????

...though that cat's already out of the bag by this point, isn't it?

Bless you Boxxy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I really like the heater in the background, but I also have a deep scepticism for anybody who conspicuously displays a skull and can't finish their glass of whiskey by the time they're done talking.

His whole look is very cod-Hemingway

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

More like head1nass

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/IncredibleCulk/status/1054118556407943168

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Very cool.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this halloween best of the worst is gonna rule

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wait what is that above his head, slightly to his right?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Leal posted:

Wait what is that above his head, slightly to his right?

What? All I see is a circular black void, slowly rotating. Getting bigger. No, wait. It's not getting bigger, it's getting closer..... No, wait. no. aaaaaaaa

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Hey, he's looking healthier.

Good for him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

But will he be on the wrong side of history?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

There's really no reason to be racist, so anyone complaining about racism is an alarmist and the real problem and has to be stopped

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Neil Breen has a new movie out, so they might be getting ready to roast it with Culkin as the Max Landis standin, since Max is... busy right now.

Managed to see the new film in the theater and spotted one of the RLM Canadians there; it completed the "group bad movie watching" experience.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

ApeHawk posted:

Hey, he's looking healthier.

Good for him.

Yeah, first thing I noticed besides the shelves, that's nice to see.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRVIBJCWfU

Bennett looks at Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and also has a nice side discussion about colour theory and the difference between cell painting and digital painting.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

poparena, I finally finished your video on YCDTOTV and this series is really growing on me, despite me not having any history with the Nickelodeon channel. Watching these vids gives me a lens into what people were watching before my time.

Also: holy crap you are the guy that did the Opinionated Animorphs videos years ago! I was so happy when you abandoned that Rorschach voice that you did earlier in the series...

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

Also: holy crap you are the guy that did the Opinionated Animorphs videos years ago! I was so happy when you abandoned that Rorschach voice that you did earlier in the series...

Yeah, that voice was the singular biggest artistic mistake I've ever made.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stillvisions posted:

Neil Breen has a new movie out, so they might be getting ready to roast it with Culkin as the Max Landis standin, since Max is... busy right now.

Managed to see the new film in the theater and spotted one of the RLM Canadians there; it completed the "group bad movie watching" experience.

“Busy”? Huh. That’s an interesting way of saying “a monster rapist” :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ash Crimson posted:

jesus she is worse than boogie, i think. thats basically "well just because the facists are driving you out to the woods with guns at your backs doesn't mean they will kill you" level poo poo. while i don't think trump personally gives two fucks about LGBT people one way or another, he is surrounded by people who at "best" want them stripped of all rights and trump likes the approval of these monsters.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 22, 2018

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

“Busy”? Huh. That’s an interesting way of saying “a monster rapist” :v:

Po-tay-toe, Po-tah-toe...

He's actually trying to surface again. I got a notification of him posting a HAY GUISE WHAT'S UP? non-video status on YouTube so I assume he's hoping everything is cool now.

Narrator: It isn't.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Max Landis is such a piece of poo poo that I hope the jokes about his father murdering people with a helicopter only ever end because everyone forgets who he is. But not before.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Those aren't jokes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
as i have said in other threads and probaly this one, My gf's step dad was friends with max in college. said he was good friend but because of his hosed up brain(some sort of Bipolar like chemical imbalance) he could switch emotions super hard, super fast and could get violent. they also got their old family cat from him. they split because max wanted to go porkeys revenge style on one of the Step dads exes and he didn''t want that. i'll try to get more stories. also yes he believes max did that poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ghostlight posted:

Those aren't jokes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
They're jokes about a real horrible thing that happened.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus she is worse than boogie, i think. thats basically "well just because the facists are driving you out to the woods with guns at your backs doesn't mean they will kill you" level poo poo. while i don't think trump personally gives two fucks about LGBT people one way or another, he is surrounded by people who at "best" want them stripped of all rights and trump likes the approval of these monsters.
Trump out out guidelines when he took office that women “dress like women” and wear feminine clothes.

While I’m sure a queer person can sit down with him and get decent treatment (because literally anyone on the planet can get what they want from Trump through flattery), he is still very bigoted to his core. You can’t say someone doesn’t give two fucks when they ban trans people from the military on loving TWITTER completely out of the blue.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I took one for the team and watched Hotdiggedydemon's video on Apu.

Holy hell, he spends half the video rambling about Apu's positive characteristics, most prominently the fact that he is successful with women, then proceeds to invalidate most of his argument by claiming that Apu is fictional so it doesn't matter. There's a point where he says "How come I'm not racist?", and ends with the point that he's Italian and doesn't find Mario offensive because he's a cartoon character, so Apu is fine.

It was kinda like that feeling when you watch something and just go "This has to be satire" the entire way through as a weak denial that somebody actually believes this.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Don't watch crap like that, watch this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJWro7NGBKo

(Well, if you have a spare 2 and a half hours anyway and want to learn about possibly the UK's most loved games studio ever. But I think of all the videos I've done and...yeah, this is probably my proudest achievement to date.)

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 23, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Roth posted:

I took one for the team and watched Hotdiggedydemon's video on Apu.

He's always been a dumb edgelord who can animate well despite that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He can be bad but his Invader Zim short is my favorite thing ever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Roth posted:

There's a point where he says "How come I'm not racist?", and ends with the point that he's Italian and doesn't find Mario offensive because he's a cartoon character, so Apu is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kim Justice posted:

Don't watch crap like that, watch this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJWro7NGBKo

(Well, if you have a spare 2 and a half hours anyway and want to learn about possibly the UK's most loved games studio ever. But I think of all the videos I've done and...yeah, this is probably my proudest achievement to date.)

I see Wizball in the thumbnail so I am on board!

fuckin Wizball. Kids today don't know.