Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

C

I guess everyone else disagrees but hire Patchwork. Anyone with previous monster hunting experience seems useful in my book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
On the quality of your current pool of recruits:
You have been in Whale for about a week. You technically don't exist and your base of operations is a hole in the ground. These are the people willing to die for you('re money).

---

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Medic training for Gwendolyn seems like a good idea, but we won't pay her instead we'll provide food & lodging for them.

Outrail posted:

She's also desperate, so we could make a deal: We'll pay for your training and provide lodging and food her and her amenic sickly brother instead of payment.

What Lodgings? You barely have room for yourself in your broken shed. She'll gladly take all the Papayas you have spare as charity, but she won't fight or work for you unless you actually pay her. In part because she isn't stupid, and in part because the rules of the Guild.

---

Dr Subterfuge posted:

How feasible is it to get Gwendoltlynn training as a medic?

Outrail posted:

If we go with gwendoltlynn we should push her towards Sneaky Medic instead of Fighty Gurl. She's already used to keeping her brother alive and being an urchin.

You don't have anyone with the knowledge to train her, but if instructed to she would agree to use some part of her earnings to learn the trade, yes. Having skill as a surgeon would be very beneficial to her overall survival and future.

She is young enough that she doesn't have any real, solidified ideas on what she really wants to be when she grows up (beyond growing up at all) - a perk against most other recruits you will encounter as they are / would be more set in their ways, so to speak. Most other recruits, whilst you could encourage them to work in a certain way or train after a certain fashion, you would have no real authority over how they spend their free time and money. Gwendolyn offers such an opportunity.

If you decided to sponsor her training beyond the means of her official salary, her skill-gain such as it was would probably hasten significantly. That is, if her smarts match her eagerness to survive.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Watch goons adopt an actual child and then complain she's not a trained soldier.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Waci posted:

Watch goons adopt an actual child and then complain she's not a trained soldier.

Wouldn't be the first time!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Wouldn't be the first time!
Only because in another game a Mesopotamian superman adopted a strange child who ended up becoming an even more super man.

Also, C and Dago. Look at his trustworthy face!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Can we inquire with Dago as to if he has any experience in combat or what his fighting style might be? He doesn't have his own equipment, and lack of morals only counts for so much!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Oh man, we could gather all the urchins in Whale and train them to fight and... then.... oh yeah that's not cool at all.

We'd need a crazy rear end warlords name though. Cowhead Twodwarf?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Now that I think about it, Gwendolyn knows the sewers. There's a contract to rid the sewers of an ooze. We're an oozefriend now, we could hire her to navigate the sewers and then try to convince the ooze to leave nonviolently.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Or convince the ooze to provide us with some of its goop for our usage and not eating above in exchange for bringing it food from exotic creatures we kill. We don't need ghoul intestines or gryphon spleens, surely, but could grab them for payment.

Hello renewable chemical warfare supplies :getin:

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

Or convince the ooze to provide us with some of its goop for our usage and not eating above in exchange for bringing it food from exotic creatures we kill. We don't need ghoul intestines or gryphon spleens, surely, but could grab them for payment.

Hello renewable chemical warfare supplies :getin:

A (maybe?) completely viable strategy until the Slimegeneers find out about it.

---

super sweet best pal posted:

Now that I think about it, Gwendolyn knows the sewers. There's a contract to rid the sewers of an ooze. We're an oozefriend now, we could hire her to navigate the sewers and then try to convince the ooze to leave nonviolently.

You aren't sure if it's even there any more. You've spent a few days doing other things, surely by now one of the other companies have taken care of it, or perhaps the situation resolved itself in another way. Either way you'd have to send out new feelers to know what contracts are available.

---

Captainicus posted:

Can we inquire with Lago as to if he has any experience in combat or what his fighting style might be? He doesn't have his own equipment, and lack of morals only counts for so much!

"Axe."

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 25, 2018

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Counteroffer: Offer 1 wealth/every 2 active months See if anyone is desperate enough to bite.

We've got haggling training, but I forget what skill level.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 15, 2018

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Dagonseems like the sort of terrifying idiot who'd have to pay for the privilege of tagging along on safari.

Reiterating we don't need any of these charity cases. WE are a charity case (technically three charity cases).

Spooky Mystery Ghost House

No new hires

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
No new hires

Mystery box

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Spooky Ghost House
Gwendolyn

She knows the city, which we absolutely don't. She has ins with the urchins and will be our ear to local gossip, she can probably help us find better jobs too. We can also pay for her medic training and maybe have a medic who doesn't hate their job.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Our other big priority for future hires would be a(nother) tanky front-line fighter. That's sort of us right now, and we aren't terribly good in that role. Or at best, we can barely cover our two companions.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Fight smarter, not harder, by shooting everything with the magical ballista.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

As you consider what might be, the proverbial camera pans around to reveal the fruits of your labour, or at least a proposed fruit based future...

Vote: D: ???

Because we always, always, always pick the MYSTERY BOX!!

These are the current prospects...

Questions for "Poor" Gwendolyn:

1: Are you sure this is the path you want, little one? Even though they’re monsters, we’re still taking life, and plenty of it.

2: Where is your brother?

3: Are you prepared to learn what this Guild needs you to become?

Questions for Larin "The Fisherman" Estoban:

1: What kinds of troubles with the Gangs will you drag in with you?

2: Will that fish smell eventually wash away?

3: We’re a little light on resources right now, can you fish for us to supplement our papaya supplies?

Questions for Dago:

1: Will you murder us in our sleep?

2: No, seriously, will you murder us in our sleep?

3: Are you some type of fel-magic, stitched together, flesh golem?

Questions for Jacob "Patchwork" Rhodes:

1: How are you crippled, exactly?

2: No offense, being disabled, how are you at killing monsters?

3: What monster took out your last crew?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Skellybones posted:

Fight smarter, not harder, by shooting everything with the magical ballista.

Has the ballista ever done anything good for us? Mostly seems useless or actively detrimental to me

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Slaan posted:

Has the ballista ever done anything good for us? Mostly seems useless or actively detrimental to me

I agree with this, but mainly because we've used it in very stupid ways. See also: FOOF.

It should be used to take out hardened targets, and unless there's a very specific call to sunder something's soul from its body, it should never be used in magic mode.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Slaan posted:

The ballista, much like FOOF has done nothing but cause carnage and destruction at every turn and my only complaint is we have neither enough nor any practical method of combining the two. Ballista early, FOOF often, leave nothing but a eerie clinking plain.

For the journey to victory is but an empty field if you don't first sow the seeds of catastrophe along the way..

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Questions for "Poor" Gwendolyn in italic, answers in bold.

Are you sure this is the path you want, little one? Even though they’re monsters, we’re still taking life, and plenty of it.

"Ways I sees it, ain't much difference in what takes yer life. Might as well be in control of it, I reckon."

Where is your brother?

"Home, innit?" And where is that, exactly? "Sewers mostly. Stables if we're lucky. They ain't got no place for us in the orphanages, on account of bein' old and such."

Are you prepared to learn what this Guild needs you to become?
Editors Note: Already Answered - Yes. She even seems excited at the prospect.

---

Questions for Larin "The Fisherman" Estoban in italic, answers in bold.
What kinds of troubles with the Gangs will you drag in with you?

"Nothing I can't handle, just gotta stay away from some neighborhoods an' keep my head down for a bit. They probably wont attack, if they sees you with me, always better to have armed friends around, you know?

Will that fish smell eventually wash away?

"What smell?" (Editors Note: it wont.)

We’re a little light on resources right now, can you fish for us to supplement our papaya supplies?

"On the job? Sure? I mean, I'd rather we spend our coin on good meals and equipment in the long run, if I wanted to be a fisherman I already was."

---

Questions for Lado in italic, answers in bold.
Will you murder us in our sleep?
No, seriously, will you murder us in our sleep?
Are you some type of fel-magic, stitched together, flesh golem?

"Trust."

---

Questions for Jacob "Patchwork" Rhodes:
How are you crippled, exactly?

< He frowns > Got my eye busted, my knee disjointed, scars all o'ver my face. My good hand has four fingers and my bad hand has three, my hip aches something fierce and I have a thorn embedded in my back, and that's just from my last trip.
Got some tremors too and can't really use a bow any more what with the depth perception issues. Been tryin' to save up for a cureall at the temple, but whats all I need fixin ain't come cheap.

No offense, being disabled, how are you at killing monsters?

"Still alive, aren't I?"

What monster took out your last crew?

"We were hunting Worgs in the mountains when a couple of Qills caught us unprepared. Must've caught our scent on the wind. Your basic beast-type quadruped, 'bout the size of a boar, but covered in razor sharp metal quills that it can fire like javelins. Not particularly tough if you can stab it but good luck getting close. Clever though, using reflections and whatnot to confuse. Can blind you too if you fight them around noon, so best avoid that. Needless to say, we didn't."

What are Worgs, then?

'S what you get when you let the Dire Wolf population get out of control so they breed instead of just fightin'. Bigger than an average wolf, tougher, stronger, all of that. 'Bit smarter too, an' they work better in packs than the Dires.

What can you tell us about Dire Wolves?

"Them's your classical Dires. Basically, you got yourself regular ol' wolf whats been eatin' and fighting so long it forgot to die, an became somethin' more. Used to be a lot rarer, but they've been poppin up like crazy these days. Reckon' its not age what does it but rather diet or somethin' like that. Mutations from the stuff leakin' from The Forest. Would explain their resurgence at least, though this is all just a theory of mine, I dunno what the Guild has to say about it. As for fightin' one of em, well, take a Worg and make it twice as fast and twice as strong and twice as clever and then beef it up a bit more and you should have some idea of what that's like. Imagine a bear crossed with a jaguar, though I'm sure an actual Bearoguar would actually beat one in a stand up fight come to think of it. Uh, anyway, I'd say shoot it to death or try to trap it somehow. You ain't winnin' a melée with one of them without some serious firepower on your side."

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 25, 2018

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I don't know how anyone can vote for anything but Spoopy Ghost House.
Also hire Gwendolyn.
How much wealth are we talking for a Cure-all for Jacob?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Eh, fine

gwendolin but see if she’ll take payment in free food/free training/free looking after of her brother until she learns enough to actually be useful

The duck might even calm down a bit if task her to protect Gwen, paladin style ( whether by actually calming down or guilt through getting her killed, either way would work)

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Dago and Patchwork are cooler than Gwen, wrongvoters! :mad:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

But with Gwen we can throw waves and waves of urchins at our problems!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

Did you see what it did to that Dire Wolf?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Actually, gently caress it- Changing my vote to Dago to my recruitment

That’ll make a solid, competent, front line we can start earning money with

And as a bonus none of them will be a pain in the rear end, unlike our last one. Save Gwen for when we can afford the spare money for training- keep her on retainer as our messenger-urchin

Also were we paying the duck at all or was she working pro bono?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Hey Dago, ever seen a monster get hit so hard it exploded?

Do you want to?
:getin:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Still not sold on Gwen. Dago is basically the kind of frontline fighter we need, just... not with the ax murderer angle. Fisherman is meh. Patchwork being a drat good source of knowledge that's probably so-so in battle would be cool on a more balanced team, which we are not. So, still voting None.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Since someone else has swapped, let's band together!

Changing from Patchwork to Dago.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Patchwork, I don't know why we want to hire someone without any useful skills when we already did that and the thread hated them.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Patchwork, I don't know why we want to hire someone without any useful skills when we already did that and the thread hated them.

:yeah:

Maybe if we'd had him last mission we'd have found that secret.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Skellybones posted:

Did you see what it did to that Dire Wolf?

Ruined all the sellable parts :colbert:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Volmarias posted:

We've found curealls before. If we take him on a cheap contract, heal him we'll have a tip top fighter for pennies. How much would it take to cure patchy

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

alpaca diseases posted:

Also were we paying the duck at all or was she working pro bono?

You are / were paying her, yes.

---

alpaca diseases posted:

Hey Lado, ever seen a monster get hit so hard it exploded?
Do you want to?

< He gives you what could only very generously be described as a half smile >

---

sheep-dodger posted:

How much wealth are we talking for a Cure-all for Jacob?

Prices vary from city to city, or with supply and demand, especially when Quackeen is concerned, so whilst you can't name the exact price-tag you can guesstimate it to be somewhere in the double digit wealth region. Probably less than fifteen? When you ask him about it he gives a similarly uncertain answer, stating that unless he strikes it rich all at once he will probably go for cheaper option sooner rather than the expensive option later, if only to give himself some relief.

The Previous injuries you had healed by the temple back in Braav were likely cheaper due to the freshness of the wounds and their relative simplicity. "Patchwork" here just has a lot more work that needs done than some busted ribs.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 25, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Recruitment Vote:

Gwendolyn

Jacob "Patchwork" Rhodes

Patchwork will be our loremaster, Gwen will be our apprentice.

Duck will get us all killed.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Patchwork, DAGO, and Gwendolyn.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Trouble on the Rim, Book 2, Chapter 4
The City of Whale, Eastern Outskirts

Part 2: Tell-All
Current Region: Huddik

"I suppose it's time to tell you all I know."

"Hm?"

"How to even begin? It all started back in the outskirts of Braav, we were on our way back from a day of training in the fields with our arbalest, when we were stopped by the agents of Lord Tel'E'Nor, the Lord of Braav.
He wanted, no, demanded really, that we go into some nearby caves to find some Zbats for his... pet. We agreed, not that we had a choice, and walked through the tunnels of that place for what felt like hours..."

"So after meeting God, melting a troll, finding an ancient lost city where the rocks floated like boats upon the oceans, being thrown bodily by a mushroom over an underground river, killing a thousand bats and dispatching an Umbral hulk, you had not only merged with your cousin but also a cow?
Frankly that is the most absurd story I have ever heard."

"Honestly it didn't make much sense in person either."

"Yes, well. I can see how this would cause some issues with the bureaucracy."

"... You can?"

"Certainly. Being part cattle would wreck havoc on your paperwork, for one."

[ Knowledge: Accountancy! ]"... yes, what with export tariffs and so on."

"Indeed, not to mention the whole issue with your cousin, Death Certificates and what not."

"So you don't think I'm mad?"

"A man cannot be privy to all the secrets of the universe, Misters IronIronScriptScript. Wether you are fit for the asylum or the gulags or to be set free to roam the countryside slaying monsters in the old Emperors name is not for me to decide.
My station is at it has always been, your escort - and I will see to it that the truth of your cousins fate is brought to light, whatever it be.

Still, if there is an ounce of truth to what you say, I now see more clearly why our travels have been hampered, even if I do not fully understand it. To whit; I must consider these matters for a time, and perhaps make some further inquires.
I will be in touch, and If you should dare die in the meantime I will drag you from deaths doorstep myself if that is what it takes - though you seem to have a knack for escaping its touch."

[Success?? Mr. Hobbson will remember this.]

---

"Congratulations, Gwendolyn! You're hired."

"What? I mean yes."

"She's barley thirteen years old."

"That just means she still has that youthful vigour, and all her parts intact!"

"..."

"LOLth."

"Besides, we have a duck about her age. A real berserker! I'm sure they'll get along famously."

"Somehow the reason you live in a broken shack and a hole in the ground has become all the more clearer."

"When the Monster is slain, do you question the axe that fell it, or the reason it came?"

Well put my chain-laden friend. Now, off with you! ISTEC has serious business related matters to discuss."

---

You sit around a flatish boulder that serves as a makeshift table, on cold hardwood floor together with Khami, Skvababt and Gwendolyn.
The introductions are swift enough and it is soon clear that Gwendolyn is well matured for her age, at least for the purposes of her survival.
Together you pour over your city-map and what little Intel your companions have gathered on likely bounties and other opportunities.

"So, we hunt monsters yeah? But there ain't always people who can afford slayers, not even whole communities, if they' poor enough. Doesn't mean there ain't no monsters to slay though, and what if the monster itself could make you profit?
That's rule one of the streets that is, you make do. You work with what you've got and you help out if you can, caus ain't no tellin' when you need 'elp yourself. Well, always people goin' missin' in The Ridge, mebe' I can check aroun' to see if there's any leads? Might be somethin worth considerin'."

"The alleyways of the Ridge are mazes within mazes, with walls made of people and life. A small team would be favoured, such as ours, but what our numbers lack by necessity will have to be made up by our equipment, of which we have precious little. For which we need money, of which we have none. If we must target the bountyless bounty, The Krills have already proven ripe with monsters. Let us set out again for a training exercise and hope something killable steps into the sights of ##Nåzom Stëgeth## - and that some small part of it remains to sell when we have skewered it."

"We do need to get better, mhm, aquatinted with the locals. We do not yet feel the caress of their eyeballs upon our moist skin as we glide gracefully over the cobbles, hand in passionate hand.
We should put ourselves out there, selling ourselves, mhmm, to the highest bidder, of The Dorsals, our new home. Perhaps a factory has need of some monster-grade materials for their machine, or a lubricant for the smooth operation of their handiwork?"

---

A: Where shall ISTEC find its next contract or source of wealth?

1: The Stocks
- Old mining village, home to the local Church of Toil.
2: The Rostrum
- Nice, safe and prestigious residential area.
3: The Baleens
- Less nice, less safe residential area. Home to the Church of Lolth. Largeish Drow population.
4: The Ventrals
- High-Class Merchant district. Do not cause any trouble here.
5: The Flippers
- The Docks. Wether you cause it or not, trouble will probably find you if you stay here over-long.
6: The Ridge
- Low-class residential district ruled by gangs. Very poor.
7: The Fin
- Middle-class residential district. Ivana Sêndvic, your liason to the F.I.B is based here.
8: The Dorsal
- Home sweet home.
9: The Melon
- The Palace, Church of Quackeen and main Forum of Whale all reside here.
10: The Notch
- High-Class residential. The crème de la crème.
11: The Krill
- Farmland and sparse forests, everything outside the city walls.

---

B: And what do you and your recruits do in the meantime, when they are not searching for work?
12: Help around HQ
Clear those boulders! And put them over here.... don't ask my why.
[This option will speed up base-clearing and ghost-housing considerably]

13: Start Training!
Gwendolyn needs to learn the basics of teamwork and monster combat, and now is a good a time as any to start teaching her that very thing.
[Work on the base will slow, but morale and skill will improve slightly.]

14: Start Training, but find Gwendolyn a Doctor in need of some extra income.
Gwendolyn will not be available for combat training but will still join you on missions. Cost is dependent on exactly who you find to do this. Perhaps Ivana Sêndvic can help?
A new vote will be held on the particulars. Otherwise, this is the same as option 13.

15: Relax
Just Don't.

16: Double-down on mission-finding.
Actually we are pretty much broke. GO FIND WORK!

---

[ISTEC Wealth and Calender Status]
You have [02] Wealth to your name.
[Gwendolyn has received 01 wealth, haven been given the first months salary in advance as per custom. How she spends it is entirely up to her, but she is bound by contract to you until you stop paying her, essentially.]
Today is the Third of December, 347 A.R.
You owe [02] wealth in salaries and upkeep at the end of the month. [Next month this will increase to [03] as you now have three recruits.]
You have a headache. You should go to Rim.
Question time is Open.

[Local Known Contacts]
Agent Muld-ha-Ihr of the F.I.B. [You have asked him to help you set up operations here in Whale, meaning that some-time in the future he might have some work for you.]
Agent Skellige of the F.I.B. [You have asked her to help you set up operations here in Whale, meaning that some-time in the future she might have some work for you.]
Ivana Sendvïc of ISTEC, liason to the F.I.B. Your boss.
Millicent Hermington of the Merchants Guild of Whale.
Mr. Hobbson of the Imperial Bureaucracy.
The Street-Urchins of Whale.
Lado. Quiet Mercenary-for-hire. You did not hire him.
Larin "The Fisherman" Estoban. Mercenary-for-hire. You did not hire him.
Jacob "Patchwork" Rhodes. Mercenary-for-hire. Old monster-hunter. You did not hire him.

---

[ISTEC Inventory]
##Nåzom Stegëth## - A Masterwork Siege Arbalest
The nigh indestructible right and left Waspable Gauntlets
A custom-built, heirloom, Masterwork Waraxe.
A set of medium quality light leather armour.
A box of delectable Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes that do not appear to spoil. There are [04] left.
A priceless, if blank, parchment, in actual fact a mysterious Artifact that makes people think you have a valid ID. Don't lose it.
An ITEC Business-card.
Dream Star of the River Ennui. Portable light source.
Bottle of Liquid Fire. One use. It's liquid fire. Trivial Upkeep cost.
Ghast-Head-Smoke-Machine. Creates a Medium sized smoke cloud at the item location. Re-Loadable. Trivial Upkeep cost.
The clothes on your body.
A small collection of maps of the Empire.
A Cart Full of Papayas. Food for... a long time.

Your equipment is Lacking, incurring minor penalties to any battle.
Your miscellaneous gear is Lacking, incurring minor penalties to any adventure.
You have no permanent means of transport, incurring a small cost each time larger expeditions are undertaken or when you are to move ##Nåzom Stêgeth##.
Morale is afloat, but barely. The Papayas help.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 25, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A 6
B 15

Let's look about in our dreams, see if we can snag some Excited Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

8-16 we broke, dudes