Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Other way around - the Fairy Godmother is forcing it due to her obsession with happy endings, and the scullery maid and prince don't love each other and are being forced into it IIRC.

It's explicitly stated in the first 20 pages that Magrat has become a fairy godmother, and her having to stop the wedding is literally in the blurb. You may recall that in some fairytales - Sleeping Beauty, for instance - there are two fairy godmothers: one good, one evil. Witches Abroad takes a realistic look at it by having both Godmothers believing that they are the good one.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's a scene from Maskerade where Granny Weatherwax plays Death for the life of a young woman who was severely injured. Basically she intimidated Death into throwing the game and taking the life of a farm animal instead.

It's actually a sick baby and a cow, and Death doesn't throw the game - he allows Granny to win, even though he knows she's cheating.

Death does not like to play chess, because he can never remember how the knights move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jedit posted:

It's actually a sick baby and a cow, and Death doesn't throw the game - he allows Granny to win, even though he knows she's cheating.
Allowing your opponent to win is exactly what "throwing the game" means.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, he throws a game of poker (IIRC she's got a full house against his two pairs.. of queens)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ Even if you recalled correctly, a full house smashes two pair.

Tiggum posted:

Sorry, what I meant was that it wasn't intimidation - he let Granny win. Granny deals herself four aces and Death four queens, but Death doesn't trust her and demands that they exchange cards before the showdown. However, he then gives Granny the wink and says that his hand is four ones.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Oct 20, 2018

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's a scene from Maskerade where Granny Weatherwax plays Death for the life of a young woman who was severely injured. Basically she intimidated Death into throwing the game and taking the life of a farm animal instead.

Jedit posted:

Death does not like to play chess, because he can never remember how the knights move.

It was a young mother and the baby. The mother got kicked by a cow, which messed up the pregnancy.
Death was all "One of them HAS to go." Granny convinced him to take the baby, since it was the least cruel option in the long run.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Jedit posted:

^^^ Even if you recalled correctly, a full house smashes two pair.
He does recall correctly and the whole point of it is that Death has four of a kind which he presents as two pairs of queens so that he doesn't have to win because Death is, as written, vaguely on our side.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Death just kind of does what he wants. In Mort he even says something to the effect of "there isn't fairness or justice. There's just me" as he turns Mort's lifetimer over. He could have just killed Mort right then and there but instead goes "you get extra time because I said so."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
These sure are TV episodes that didn't age well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

These sure are TV episodes that didn't age well.

This sure is a white noise post that doesn't provide content either.

Fake edit: and so is mine

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This thread has some of the most drift of any non General Chat thread but I’m cool with that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NorgLyle posted:

He does recall correctly and the whole point of it is that Death has four of a kind which he presents as two pairs of queens so that he doesn't have to win because Death is, as written, vaguely on our side.

Apologies to RedSnapper; I misread the post and didn't realise he was talking about four of a kind. But I know I'm not wrong about the hands, because I was quoting from the book.

Maskerade, p75 VG 1995 h/b posted:

FOUR QUEENS. HMM. THAT IS VERY HIGH.

Death looked down at his cards, and then up into Granny's steady, blue-eyed gaze. Neither moved for some time. Then Death laid the hand on the table.

I LOSE, he said. ALL I HAVE IS FOUR ONES.

Everything else we're in agreement on, though.

the_steve, you're thinking of another scene in Carpe Jugulum where Granny has to make that choice. She doesn't deal with Death that time, though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

NorgLyle posted:

What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the reaper man?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I stopped reading him as soon as he announced his illness. So now as bad as any day gets, I still know there’s unread Terry Prachett books waiting for me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I have spent the last three days binging this thread and this slayed me. Thank you so much.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Precambrian posted:

I can't remember the name, but I know there's one actor who'll take any work he can because he's big on historic preservation for old theaters, which is basically a massive money sink.

Might not be who you're thinking of, but when Bill Murray was shooting Groundhog Day, they did some location work in my neighborhood. He heard our historic 1930s theater was about to be shut down for lack of money/needing renovations, so he spontaneously did a stand-up comedy gig there as a fundraiser, and saved the theater. It is still open and thriving.

Talk about a stand-up guy. :downsrim: (Seriously, though, my current boss got to meet him and said he's cool as hell)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Jeff Daniels has a theater in Michigan called the Purple Rose.

Actors supporting small theaters isn't as unusual as it sounds I guess. Even Burt Reynolds had one. And yes they are usually money sinks.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Might not be who you're thinking of, but when Bill Murray was shooting Groundhog Day, they did some location work in my neighborhood. He heard our historic 1930s theater was about to be shut down for lack of money/needing renovations, so he spontaneously did a stand-up comedy gig there as a fundraiser, and saved the theater. It is still open and thriving.

Talk about a stand-up guy. :downsrim: (Seriously, though, my current boss got to meet him and said he's cool as hell)
He's supposedly a really charitable guy who's really cool to his fans but didn't he also abuse his ex wife and was a huge dick to Lucy Liu on the "Charlie's Angels" set?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

My mom lives in the subdivision across the road from where the quarry scene was filmed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

WescottF1 posted:

My mom lives in the subdivision across the road from where the quarry scene was filmed.

Is the quarry still operational?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

I dunno why the studio thought that a book with 310 pages should have the same running time on film as a set of three books with 1191 pages combined, but :shrug:

I do hope the Hobbit movies killed the trend of spreading book adaptations over as many movies as possible, though. The sheer contempt studios had for moviegoers for a little while there was pretty astonishing.

The Venom movie is almost unanimously panned but was still dominating the box offices for weeks so it's not like movie goers are necessarily concerned with quality to begin with

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

He's supposedly a really charitable guy who's really cool to his fans but didn't he also abuse his ex wife and was a huge dick to Lucy Liu on the "Charlie's Angels" set?

I think most comedians are lovely but intelligent people who know the right persona to mask their shitiness to the public. Or go the opposite route and just be like "yeah i'm awful hope you're cool with it"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aesop Poprock posted:

The Venom movie is almost unanimously panned but was still dominating the box offices for weeks so it's not like movie goers are necessarily concerned with quality to begin with

That movie has a bit more going on than it seems, though it's hard to articulate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's been getting middling reviews from what I've seen. Personally I liked it, although the end fight was crap.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Popular actors can carry even lovely films for awhile.

See: Johnny Depp and Burt Reynolds

Venom may be an entertaining movie though. The reviews I've seen call it a mess and a mess can be fun to watch. Is it at least more interesting than a dark boring DC comics movie?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Krispy Wafer posted:

Popular actors can carry even lovely films for awhile.

See: Johnny Depp and Burt Reynolds

Venom may be an entertaining movie though. The reviews I've seen call it a mess and a mess can be fun to watch. Is it at least more interesting than a dark boring DC comics movie?

It's a good rental carried on the fact that Tom Hardy is having the time of his life acting in this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tom Hardy and Venom carry it and the villain is Elon Musk.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tom Hardy and Venom carry it and the villain is Elon Musk.

Jedit posted:

It's been getting middling reviews from what I've seen. Personally I liked it, although the end fight was crap.

So the villain takes himself down by being an idiot on twitter?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

MariusLecter posted:

Is the quarry still operational?

Not anymore. It closed in 2011.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

My grandfather's law office is sometimes visible in the town square scenes. Little CannonFodder got a t-shirt commemorating the filming.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cinderella 3 is still different than that, it's that Cinderella needs to succeed on her own merits and Anastasia has every right to want to be respected even though she's not "special".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aesop Poprock posted:

Okay, now imagine a world where Venom was spread across three movies and this was explicit from the start.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What would you guys say are the worst (and best spinoffs)? They have a reputation of being terrible and aging even worse but, upon thinking about it, there's actually been several good ones. For every Joey, AfterMASH, Baywatch Night Joanie Loves Chachi and Flo, there's a Trapper John, MD, Frasier, Jeffersons, Rhoda or Good Times.

I haven't seen Happy Days mentioned and that show has aged like poo poo. The first 2 seasons are pretty great and still hold up - sort of an American Graffitti TV show - but then they made Fonzie, a misogynistic, bullying, high school drop out, into the centerpiece of the show and and turned him into Superman. I can't believe how long that show stayed on the air and, speaking of spin offs, it gave us Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, Joanie Loves Chachi plus a cartoon.

Also, how the gently caress was Saved by the Bell ever popular? I guess it's the Brady Bunch of its era or something but it's so god damned stupid. Surprised it hasn't gotten the 21 Jump Street/Starsky and Hutch movie send up yet.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Venom is popular because it's hitting some weird national feeling about being so lonely that goo that becomes your pants sounds really captivating

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

What would you guys say are the worst (and best spinoffs)?

Fernwood 2-Night was a spinoff of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, and both of those shows are insanely good in their own way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

What would you guys say are the worst (and best spinoffs)? They have a reputation of being terrible and aging even worse but, upon thinking about it, there's actually been several good ones. For every Joey, AfterMASH, Baywatch Night Joanie Loves Chachi and Flo, there's a Trapper John, MD, Frasier, Jeffersons, Rhoda or Good Times.

I haven't seen Happy Days mentioned and that show has aged like poo poo. The first 2 seasons are pretty great and still hold up - sort of an American Graffitti TV show - but then they made Fonzie, a misogynistic, bullying, high school drop out, into the centerpiece of the show and and turned him into Superman. I can't believe how long that show stayed on the air and, speaking of spin offs, it gave us Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, Joanie Loves Chachi plus a cartoon.

Also, how the gently caress was Saved by the Bell ever popular? I guess it's the Brady Bunch of its era or something but it's so god damned stupid. Surprised it hasn't gotten the 21 Jump Street/Starsky and Hutch movie send up yet.

Saved by the Bell was just so easily digestible. You had good looking unoffensive people doing stuff in easy-to-watch 30 minute increments and nothing taxed your brain or made you sad. But it was also so forgettable that no one misses it.

The Saved by the Bell for late-gen X and early gen-Y was The Suite Life with Zack and Cody.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BiggerBoat posted:

Best spinoff: saved by the bell

Worst spinoff: saved by the bell the college years

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

Saved by the Bell was a show for kids. I don't think it can possibly get the movie treatment with how truely rooted in the 90's it is. I'm not in middle/high school, nor know anyone who is, but I imagine it's a hell of a lot different these days.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Family Matters spun off of Perfect Strangers and rode the Urkel Train to greater fame than Perfect Strangers ever could dream of

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Pick posted:

Venom is popular because it's hitting some weird national feeling about being so lonely that goo that becomes your pants sounds really captivating

It really does sound captivating. I have to go see this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BiggerBoat posted:

Mama's Family
Emergency!
Maverick
Absolutely Fabulous
Empty Nest
Evil Con Carne
Morning & Mindy
Xena
NCIS
Family Matters
Boston Legal