Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Latria 1 is garbo and i hate it. Latria 2 is super cool except it ends with my least favorite boss in the franchise. Latria 3 is the coolest room in the series.

Edit: Real shame about every other area of the game especially 5-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug
any good games in the switch library which i might have missed and aren't, like, super popular? i tend not to buy games very often and i'm looking for something juicy to play. i'd prefer no metroidvanias... i have enough of those. the switch library seems massive but navigation is pretty limited to what's popular _now_.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lumines!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Captain Queernabs posted:

any good games in the switch library which i might have missed and aren't, like, super popular? i tend not to buy games very often and i'm looking for something juicy to play. i'd prefer no metroidvanias... i have enough of those. the switch library seems massive but navigation is pretty limited to what's popular _now_.

Tricky Towers is a pretty good "weird take on Tetris" game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you like weird quirky puzzle games, Gunhouse is half off ($7.50) and is very stylish and can use touch controls. It's half puzzle game, half tower defense. You solve puzzles to load ammo into guns to shoot at jerks who are trying to kidnap your orphans.

Also, if you like shoot em ups, there's another one called Hyper Sentinel that's 2.50 and plays like someone took The Last Starfighter on NES and gave it the Pac-Man DX treatment. Lots of rainbows and poo poo, pretty fun.

Edit: the more I play of Gunhouse this is extremely my poo poo

Heath fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 23, 2018

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Just Shapes & Beats is very good. If you like platformers, Slime-san is pretty good too.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Sam Faust posted:

Just Shapes & Beats is very good. If you like platformers, Slime-san is pretty good too.

+1 for both of these

Also I was just browsing the coming soon section and what the heck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8O4AouFQbw
:toot: when was this announced lol, just sneaking onto nintendo ice-pick lodge

Put Path2 and The Void on Switch! and in Smash! ...somehow!

Knorth fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 23, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Night in the Woods was the best game of 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Have you played Okami?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Your Computer posted:

Master Key is a really terrible idea for a first playthrough, but Pyromancer owns hard
So lets just say I picked the master key as my gift and I've never really played a Souls game before...

Al Borland Corpse posted:

You know B is universally understood to be "yeah Boyeeeeee" and A is known to be "Ah hell nah"
Just wanna say that I appreciate this post a lot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

irlZaphod posted:

So lets just say I picked the master key as my gift and I've never really played a Souls game before...

It just opens a few doors early on that you normally wouldn't be able to get through until later, which can gently caress with the natural progression if you're new I guess. That's only a vague suggestion in DS1 anyway though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It just opens a few doors early on that you normally wouldn't be able to get through until later, which can gently caress with the natural progression if you're new I guess. That's only a vague suggestion in DS1 anyway though.

I accidentally went to blighttown the wrong way because of it (and proceeded to go up in there because I thought that was the right way) and skipped the depths.

I didn't find the Large Ember until after O&S :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

It's not the end of the world, but it can make for some confusion since you're able to get access to places you aren't "supposed" to be in a long time. This can make it confusing to figure out where you're supposed to and what you're supposed to do, have you fight enemies you aren't quite ready for or miss items you don't want to miss. If you ever feel like a place has too difficult enemies or you're not sure what you're doing there, you probably went somewhere with the key :v:

Macaluso posted:

Night in the Woods was the best game of 2017
I only just played it and I cannot get over it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah the real danger is skipping out on useful stuff like that rather than just going the wrong way

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The game that was announced for the PSP but never released is finally coming out! On the Switch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVTyva5nFeQ

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Vanilla dark souls 2 was the BOTW of the souls series... because lovely weapon durability was a bug tied to FPS

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Trip report: I bought Songbringer back in June and bounced off it pretty hard. Went back last night on a whim and, once I finally figured out what it was trying to be- stoner rock sci fi Zelda 1 with procedural layouts- I actually had quite a bit of fun blasting through it. It's not very hard and it's not very long but if you can pick it up on sale it might be worth your time.

Also played The Messenger recently, but I don't think the thread needs me to tell it how perfect that game is.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Your Computer posted:

It's not the end of the world, but it can make for some confusion since you're able to get access to places you aren't "supposed" to be in a long time. This can make it confusing to figure out where you're supposed to and what you're supposed to do, have you fight enemies you aren't quite ready for or miss items you don't want to miss. If you ever feel like a place has too difficult enemies or you're not sure what you're doing there, you probably went somewhere with the key :v:

Is it obvious if you go through a door with the Master Key? I did get to one door after getting my sword and shield which was locked.

Also I made at least 10 attempts to kill the Asylum demon with the broken sword before I realised there was a door. I was thinking it couldn't have been right that I was only doing 2 damage to the guy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 'it's supposed to be hard!' curse strikes again.

Uh I'm not 100% sure but I think it says you used the master key to unlock something when you do it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

Uh I'm not 100% sure but I think it says you used the master key to unlock something when you do it?

It does. Really the only point where the master key can "burn" you early on is if you go explore under the starting bonfire and find the other elevator which takes you to the valley and blightown exit and I think the door by Havel which leads to the basin but I'm not sure this would be it because Havel is right loving there and he will gently caress your poo poo up if you're new

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

Is it obvious if you go through a door with the Master Key? I did get to one door after getting my sword and shield which was locked.

Also I made at least 10 attempts to kill the Asylum demon with the broken sword before I realised there was a door. I was thinking it couldn't have been right that I was only doing 2 damage to the guy.

The key question is a good one. I don't remember if the game notifies you about what key is used when you open a locked door.

The Asylum Demon is a great first boss. It's big, its imposing, and it's scary. However it also shows the player to pay attention to their surroundings!

Oh what I'd give to play Dark Souls for the first time again.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

The 'it's supposed to be hard!' curse strikes again.

Part of it was "It's supposed to be hard!", but part of it was that yeah there was a big obvious door there, but it's locked. I only noticed the other one at a point when I died and the camera happened to pan by it or something. But I suppose:

Wildtortilla posted:

The Asylum Demon is a great first boss. It's big, its imposing, and it's scary. However it also shows the player to pay attention to their surroundings!

is the obvious lesson.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I kept resisting the urge to buy Okami on Steam when it was $11-$12 or whatever because I just couldn't wrap my head around drawing shapes with a mouse. Thusly I ponied up the Nintendo/console tax so I could play with the little joycons, though the DF port review said drawing with gyro aiming was still poo poo... I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Bombadilillo posted:

Dark souls was compared to zelda.
"A 3D reimagining of the legend of zelda NES."
This is how I felt when I played Demon's Souls for the first time, and Dark Souls even more so. They're the first game since maybe Link to the Past that really captured the first Zelda game's feeling of "ok, here's a world to play in... You're on your own now."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Vanilla dark souls 2 was the BOTW of the souls series... because lovely weapon durability was a bug tied to FPS

isn’t this in the PS4 version still

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.
Re: all the master key discussion

It says "Character used Master Key." when using it. Source: I rolled thief for the first time which ended up making the 1st boss harder than I'm used to. Luckily I've been playing a lot of Soul Calibur lately so I gave him a good ring out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

Before everything was compared to dark souls.

Dark souls was compared to zelda.

"A 3D reimagining of the legend of zelda NES."

More Zelda II than Zelda I tbqh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Augus posted:

isn’t this in the PS4 version still

no

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

guess they patched it, I distinctly remember people complaining about weapon durability when SOTFS first launched.
My favorite level in Dark Souls 2 actually forces you to deal with the weapon durability on purpose as a level mechanic by having a long stretch between bonfires and acid and spike traps that cause heavy damage to your weapon if you’re not careful

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it was in the PC ports forever then when PS4/Bone releases of SotFS happened it got patched on all three pretty quick.
Your poo poo still breaks like a madman on certain bosses only for some reason though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

very sad to see dark souls posting ruin another thread in the prime of its life

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Isn't the DS2 weapon degradation based on how many frames the weapon is intersecting with a wall or enemy? Because I recall Sinh being a right bastard for pole arms getting eaten up during co-op.

Sure it's weird, but you can hot swap between up to three weapons per hand, have repair powder, and free durability restoration at bonfires if the weapon doesn't break.

Super No Vacancy posted:

I guess We are Legion. Sorry, mate :shrug:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

Eh. It's better than the babby whining over BOTW weapon durability, a concept that literal children are alright with.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Super No Vacancy posted:

I’ll take posts of people sharing their first time dark souls experiences and asking for advice over the weekly BOTW weapon chat. Fortunately you’re still allowed to talk about things besides dark souls, as people are still doing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Andrigaar posted:

Isn't the DS2 weapon degradation based on how many frames the weapon is intersecting with a wall or enemy? Because I recall Sinh being a right bastard for pole arms getting eaten up during co-op.

Yeah, and it also seemed to be especially crazy if you attacked an enemy corpse. Kinda made for a little mini game when you had to be sure not to queue up an extra attack after killing an enemy or it'd eat a quarter of your durability.

Agreed though, I never really found it to be a gamebreaking issue since there were no many ways to mitigate it.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Super No Vacancy posted:

The Hollow Knight posting makes the Dark Souls posting look like Kirby Star Allies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There should be a Kirby of dark souls games.

Same mechanics/world/lore, but you are Kirby and can eat most enemies

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
truly I cannot imagine a worse fate than seeing people discuss games they enjoy on the Nintendo Switch in the Nintendo Switch thread

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I mean, I get it. I actively stopped going into the ps4 thread because it was nonstop BB and DS chat. This thread isn't nearly as bad.

I'm a loving scrub at DS and haven't gone back to the Taurus Demon since I accidentally found him a few nights ago. I've beaten him before it's just that I hate dying and having to fight my way up the keep again.

I'm very bad at DS. My biggest problems are that I don't pay enough attention to stamina, I get greedy, and I don't know which frames are invincible during a dodge roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Andrigaar posted:

I kept resisting the urge to buy Okami on Steam when it was $11-$12 or whatever because I just couldn't wrap my head around drawing shapes with a mouse. Thusly I ponied up the Nintendo/console tax so I could play with the little joycons, though the DF port review said drawing with gyro aiming was still poo poo... I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Using a capacitive stylus for drawing on the screen works really well, even a cheap one that only cost five bucks. Everyone with a Switch should own one.